Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/Nintendo 3DS

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 13, 2014

Collectively known as "Super Smash Bros. 4", the fourth installment of Nintendo's fighting game series was released for both the Wii U console and the handheld Nintendo 3DS.

At the moment, the online is GARBAGE

Avatar image for deactivated-5b45500a95f79
    deactivated-5b45500a95f79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

The stuttering can be on and off and sometimes won't show up in some game. But the input lag is so noticeable that it feels like this part of the game wasn't really a priority.

Yesterday it almost never worked, while today I can connect and get a good game once every +5 or so (still with input lag). I'm hoping this is really a server thing and not a bad net code.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

Are you sure it's not your connection? I had issues with connecting to matches yesterday, but today I played For Fun matches online for about half an hour and only experienced severe lag in one or two.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nah I've noticed it too maybe 1 out of 4 matches have been laggy to the point of the match being unplayable. Someone on the boards mentioned that there is less of an occurrence of lag when it's just one vs one.

BamSaidTheLady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It feels like it can be all over the place but I've mostly been having a good time with it. I did 3 players with some friends. I'm in NY and the other two were in Japan and Utah. There was a bit of input lag but totally playable. I'm pretty happy with it especially knowing how bad Brawl was.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

One on one in For Glory works pretty good for me, but anything four player is an unplayable slideshow. My connection sucks but it's never given me too much grief with lag, so I don't know. I think Sakurai said something like it has to do with the data that is sent from person to person and when someones connection isn't at its best it fucks things up. Kinda sucks since everyone in the game has to suffer from it too.

I believe the recommendation was to make sure no one is using your connection to watch videos, stream stuff, downloading, etc and turn off pretty much everything you can that uses wi-fi. No idea if that really fixes anything but it couldn't hurt.

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4 players on for fun doesn't works for me 4player for glory does

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did you download the patch?

Giant Bomb said the Internet play was choppy until they downloaded the patch and it woked fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b45500a95f79
    deactivated-5b45500a95f79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've done the update. I guess it shouldn't be that surprising, it still seems like some Japanese companies haven't figured out the online thing quite yet. It just strange to me that the are myriad of online fighting games out there that do much better with much smaller budgets.

I don't know how complicated net code is. If it's hard to fit or only works for certain engines but man. This game, just in my opinion, should be getting much lower score for this lack of polish. Other games get bashed for laggy online play. I assume it's because that smash has mostly been a LAN game so most people don't mind it, I one the other hand find that there is a big part of this game that is just unplayable.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FrostyRyan

I tried 1 vs. 1 for glory. got an error code. Tried it again. Got an error code.

Tried 4 player for fun. Worked. Extremely laggy. Facepalmed pretty hard.

@kenobi said:

This game, just in my opinion, should be getting much lower score for this lack of polish. Other games get bashed for laggy online play. I assume it's because that smash has mostly been a LAN game so most people don't mind it, I one the other hand find that there is a big part of this game that is just unplayable.

Very much agree with this. It's a feature of the game that doesn't work well. Should not get a pass because it's smash bros.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I tried 1 vs. 1 for glory. got an error code. Tried it again. Got an error code.

Tried 4 player for fun. Worked. Extremely laggy. Facepalmed pretty hard.

@kenobi said:

This game, just in my opinion, should be getting much lower score for this lack of polish. Other games get bashed for laggy online play. I assume it's because that smash has mostly been a LAN game so most people don't mind it, I one the other hand find that there is a big part of this game that is just unplayable.

Very much agree with this. It's a feature of the game that doesn't work well. Should not get a pass because it's smash bros.

I don't have it and haven't played it, but my friends have and say the same thing about the net code. I feel Nintendo already got a pass with Brawl on the Wii which was very much their first shot at online anything. By now, if they're going to include such a feature, they really need to put their heads in the game and do it right. Or don't include it at all (like they do with many of their other titles).

Still very much looking forward to the couch play that will ensue with the WiiU version. I just wish I could look forward to an amazing online experience as well.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

I'm not surprised and luckily it hasn't been too bad so far for me but I have only played 6 matches. Nintendo has made it clear in the past that they don't think online multiplayer is what we want. I hope this game shows Nintendo that isn't true and they take the feed-back serious about fixing the online issue as I've heard nothing but complaints about it through reviews and friends.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a bit better luck earlier when I was playing. Definitely still pretty laggy, but it was at least playable.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I was ableto get in some matches in 4-Player For Glory earlier. One match out of the cluster I played had some lag in it, but it didn't really affect my standing.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, 4-player has been a nightmare, though all the 1v1 matches I've played have been fine. I'd stick to that because anything else is tripling your chances that someone has a shit connection.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By Yummylee

It's pretty bloody terrible, and it's what chipped off an entire star off my user-review. The 1v1 matches are certainly more manageable, but even they suffer from a degree of input lag as well. The Online was one of the core reasons why I decided to get this in the first place, since local play is obviously a little more restrictive this time around; that, and I don't have a Wii U.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm on the North American East Coast and Nintendo must have done something to the servers because on Friday and Saturday, online was garbage but on Sunday, everything ran smoothly. I played at least 50 matches and about 4 or 5 of them were laggy and two of those were against Japanese players. That was mostly on 1v1 "For Glory" thought. I played a few four player "For Fun" matches and those weren't to bad. But yeah, I'm a 1v1, no items, Final Destination kind of guy when it comes to Smash and online, as of Sunday, feels great for me.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I couldn't even play. The lag is terrible.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a feeling that a good chunk of the online problems they're having are the direct result of people not knowing about the patch or not knowing they have to download it. The game shouldn't even let you play if you're not running the most current build of the game. I've had to tell like 4 people I know about the patch already because Nintendo does such a poor job of relaying that information. Also, who manually downloads patches anymore?

The remainder of the problems are probably the result of people's poor connections and Nintendo's seeming inability to do anything online well.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's hoping the Wii U version's online will work, right?

Nefarious_Al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nefarious_Al

Brawl had shit netcode so I wouldn't get your hopes up. Laggy as hell with my cousin that lives about ten minutes away. Coupled with the fact that the Wii U has no Ethernet port unless you buy an adapter get ready for the wireless army to fuck any chance the game has at being fun online. Wired or bust for fighting games.(I honor Smash by calling it that)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.