Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/Nintendo 3DS

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 13, 2014

Collectively known as "Super Smash Bros. 4", the fourth installment of Nintendo's fighting game series was released for both the Wii U console and the handheld Nintendo 3DS.

Demo impressions?

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

So a demo for Smash Bros on the 3DS was released into certain regions today for Club Nintendo members who chose to receive Nintendo's marketing emails. It's pretty crazy on the internet, as codes are fetching absurd prices on eBay and people are devouring codes in mere seconds of posting. (We've even got the infamous one and done generic Giant Bomb avatar posters invading our waters hoping to retrieve a code.)

For those lucky enough to get a code, what are your thoughts and impressions?

Personally, of the few hours I've logged on it and the dozens of matches I've played, I think it's pretty good. Granted, this is fucking Smash Bros, and it's really the same game we've been playing since the series' debut on the N64. The demo has five characters (Mario, Link, Pikachu, Mega Man, and Villager) and one stage. (With the option to play it in Final Destination mode or whatever it's called.)

At first I thought Mega Man was hot garbage, but the more I used him and the more I learned his moves, the more he's really grown on me to play as. Mega Man also has the best final smash of all time. Villager is... quirky, and interesting to play as but I'm not really digging him/her. Mario, Link, and Pikachu are pretty much the same as they've always been. (So I still suck with Pikachu -_- )

I really like the new items, especially that cannon thing that blasts like half the fucking screen.

The graphics look like ass in screenshots and videos, but trust me, it runs and looks great on the 3DS. Characters move at a silky smooth 60fps, and while I only tried it briefly the 3D seems okay.

My only real gripe with the game is on the 3DS, with the circle pad. I'm sorry, but the circle pad is NOT a good substitute for a joystick, and I think that's made painfully obvious with this game. It just has too much resistance, and that's really annoying when you're knocked off the ground and trying to grab on a ledge but the stick just doesn't allow you to go far enough. This is one reason I'm really looking forward to the Wii U version with the glorious GC controller.

And that's pretty much it, I think. It's Smash Bros. If you liked any of the previous entries, you'll like this. If not, you won't. I'm hyped as hell for it, and I'm really not sure if I'm gonna go physical or digital with it. Decisions.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

It plays almost exactly like Melee but with all the items from Brawl, which is to say it's the best Smash Bros game yet.

Villager (ROCKET GYROID!) and Link are my favourite characters right now. I will contend that Villager has a better Final Smash than Megaman since it's way funnier (but Megaman's is more cool). I really want to try Robin and Lucina because FE:A is the first Nintendo game I've loved since Wind Waker.

I've had some problems with the Circle Pad but only when it comes to Smash Attacks and jumping when I'm trying to do an Up attack.

@turtlebird95 Go digital, you never want to be in a situation where you really want to play some Smash Bros but don't have the cart.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

The game looks great in motion and controls fine based on my previous experience with Smash. The only thing the 3DS version confirmed was that I simply can not handle playing it for very long due to my hands and wrists cramping up.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Once I get a code for the demo, I'll gladly chime in with some thoughts. ha.

I liked what I've seen from UPF though.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Game feels like a decent adaptation of SSB on the handheld but I'm still unsure about the idea about playing that game without the use of the directional pad and just the analog stick. Probably due to the limitation of the hardware I'm probably going to assume less chaos happening on screen compared to maybe the WiiU version. No online option so I can't tell you how the game will handle it but from any indication from previous nintendo multiplayer games it'll probably be decent enough. Playing a few rounds of SSB just made me realize how much I probably want a new Jump Ultimate Stars game more than SSB on handheld. I actually played some of that earlier and it sucks that game no longer has any wi-fi functionality since nintendo shut it down a few months back, It's still pretty fun to play.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

I played the build they had at PAX as well, where I was able to try Smash Run, and between that and my time with this new demo, man, it is a lot of fun. The demo is incredibly restrictive, in that there are only five characters, one battlefield, and matches are limited to two minutes, but it's an excellent taste of what's to come at the beginning of next month.

ungratefuldead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Many bros were smashed today.

I really liked it and can't wait to get my hands on the full thing. Villager seems right up my alley with his playstyle. The tree in particular was super satisfying to pull off, especially on the rate occasions you managed to hit two or three people with it at once, even better if they're all knock outs. Megaman is a little iffy with me. In general I'm okay with his moveset, but I don't much care for the blaster replacing his A, A, A combo, especially since it doesn't really have any stun. And sometimes I found it to be real difficult for the game to do a forward smash with him as opposed to running and gunning. The veterans for the most part played pretty well. Link's a big improvement from Brawl, but I still feel as though he's lacking.

Also, all of the items were hectic and perfect and wonderful in every way. This is objective fact.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: Duuuuuude. If they released a new Jump Stars game on the 3DS I would seriously consider importing a Japanese 3DS just for that. (Assuming it's more like Ultimate Stars and not that garbage PS3 game)

@corruptedevil Normally I like to get physical copies of 3DS games if I can help it, but in this case I'm definitely leaning towards digital. Just seems like the perfect game to always have on deck.

Descends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a demo code from a generous community member earlier today (THANKS!) and i've been playing it a bunch since. At first it kind of felt weird, but once I got used to the 3ds controls that went away. Like everyone has been saying, it feels great. Personally, my favorite version of smash is Project M (a community overhaul of Brawl), but i've enjoyed every version of smash. So from my background, I'm really itching to play with stocks and no items. At the beginning of the match, the fighting is great as the items haven't started dropping yet but it seems like the items must be on high or something because after about 30 seconds there are so many items that I feel like i'm no longer playing my character.

So for a 4 player party game, it seems that the party play will be great as always, with plenty of new things to play with. For one on one competitive play, I can't really tell yet but I think that this could be acceptable to be taken competitively. The people who like Melee will still prefer Melee and probably stick with that, but I think this game will definitely have a competitive following. I am highly anticipating the full release and being able to mess around with my friends with the full set of features.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing more of it I'm starting to like it more and more. Sure the game is probably not the most ideal way to play smash but in the end I'm not trying to play at a competitive level. I can see myself maybe playing this on the go when I'm out and about and maybe somewhere with local wifi and got a few minutes to spare. Only time will tell if the online multiplayer for the 3ds can survive against maybe the wiiU.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love it. It feels so much better than Brawl. I loved Brawl, but I always thought it felt kinda....floaty? That seems to be totally gone now.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm not super big on the circle pad for this game, but the more I play the demo the more I enjoy it. This game's Mario seems fantastic.

Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Junpei

Honestly the part I'm struggling with is having the attacks being on A and B and jump on X and Y. I know it sounds odd since A and B have always been the attack buttons, but it feels weird having them on the right side of the button layout when I've gotten so used to the N64 and Gamecube controllers where they were on the lower left of the button layouts. It feels backwards to me moving my thumb up and left to reach the jump buttons instead of up and right.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By The_Nubster

The game itself is fine, but it's super awkward to play such a hectic game on the 3DS. I'm constantly hitting the wrong buttons (which I wish I could re-map) and pressing up to jump way too much. I've just got these big goddamn mitts and the 3DS isn't very accommodating for them with a game like Smash. If anything, it's reaffirmed my desire to buy it for the WiiU.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I am fucking rubbish and I love it. Mega Man is so fun.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: All love for chibby Mega man but no love for old man outta shape Mega Man in SF X Tekken?

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Quantris

@junpei said:

Honestly the part I'm struggling with is having the attacks being on A and B and jump on X and Y. I know it sounds odd since A and B have always been the attack buttons, but it feels weird having them on the right side of the button layout when I've gotten so used to the N64 and Gamecube controllers where they were on the lower left of the button layouts. It feels backwards to me moving my thumb up and left to reach the jump buttons instead of up and right.

I have the same mental block. I also keep pressing A when I want B and vice-versa.

I hope there will be a controls remapping in the options for the full game; this demo doesn't let you go into the settings menu at all though.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quantris said:

@junpei said:

I have the same mental block. I also keep pressing A when I want B and vice-versa.

I hope there will be a controls remapping in the options for the full game; this demo doesn't let you go into the settings menu at all though.

Don't worry, just use the Gamecube controller.

Man, how great would it be if there were a 3DS adapter for the Gamecube controller? I'm sure the 3DS version is competent, but I wouldn't dream of getting it over the Wii U version, because my fingers would immediately get cramped with the kind of constant input it requires of your fingers. 3DS games that are passive (Fire Emblem, or Bravely Default) or at least pretty slow paced (Mario 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion) seem like a better fit for the platform. I've just never been a big "fighting games on handhelds" guy.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: All love for chibby Mega man but no love for old man outta shape Mega Man in SF X Tekken?

I rocked that avatar for over 2 years. He got his due.

Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft said:

I rocked that avatar for over 2 years. He got his due.

Yeah, Bad Box Art Mega Man was pretty great. If only they were able to revamp that game before most people dropped it and went back to SF4. Loving the Ono-Blanka avatar by the way.

After playing some more I'm getting more used to the button layout, but I still wish they would add some remapping into the options. I've started playing as each character in one on one matches so that I can test their moves out in a more controlled way. Much better for testing out the new characters than a crazy 4 player brawl.

Wess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

User Lists: 14

I'm actually surprised at how many people seemed to have the "send me marketing emails" option checked on Club Nintendo. I figured that would rule out most people, because to me having stuff like that enabled seems crazy.

Guess you showed me Nintendo! Now I just have to wait for Friday.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@junpei said:

After playing some more I'm getting more used to the button layout, but I still wish they would add some remapping into the options.

Is that not in the full game? The demo is so stripped-down I wouldn't be surprised if it was. Then again it's Nintendo so I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#23  Edited By lumley

I'm having a lot of fun, Villager is a great character. I haven't really played a Smash Bros. game since Melee, my recovery skills aren't the best so I keep walking off the side & falling off the stage.

I'll be waiting for the Wii U version though, not the 3DS version.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Junpei

@junpei said:

After playing some more I'm getting more used to the button layout, but I still wish they would add some remapping into the options.

Is that not in the full game? The demo is so stripped-down I wouldn't be surprised if it was. Then again it's Nintendo so I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.

@hailinel said:

@starvinggamer: Control customization is in the full game.

Good to know. I'm adjusting to it, but I may still swap it around a bit in the final release if it just feels more natural.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the demo. Melee is one of my all-time favorite games but I've never played Brawl. I'll be getting the Wii U version but I must same the demo is really fun even if it's super limited. I really like playing as Villager. Mega Man is VERY weird, it's like all his attacks are B-button attacks instead of A button attacks...he plays very differently from other Smash characters. This may be a good thing though cuz it shows they are willing to try new things with the characters. I think it plays really well with the circle pad, you just have to be really agressive with the pad and really jockey it from side to side, you can't use a light touch or it just won't register. I absolutely can't wait for the final game I think it's going to be really, really good.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VILLAGER CAN PUT ITEMS IN HIS POCKET...YES!!

Yeah it is really fun.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wess said:

I'm actually surprised at how many people seemed to have the "send me marketing emails" option checked on Club Nintendo. I figured that would rule out most people, because to me having stuff like that enabled seems crazy.

Guess you showed me Nintendo! Now I just have to wait for Friday.

I left it on as an easy reminder of what Nintendo first party stuff is coming out, aside from the obvious Zelda and Mario stuff. "Oh, I guess this email means Kirby Triple Deluxe is out in like a week? Do I want to buy that? No? Good call, self." Those conversations happen a lot. Like for every 3DS game this year aside from Bravely Default.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Only just got around to playing the demo, and I think it's fantastic! I mean, yeah, it's more Smash -- but I never played Brawl so it's admittedly been quite a while for me anyway. Plus the idea of actually playing online I find to be quite exciting. I was happy to see how Mario and Link in particular are (almost) exactly as I remember them, though Link's a little slower overall and Mario now has that weird watergun attack for his down+special. I tried out Mega Man but didn't enjoy playing as him, though considering the OP had the same reaction but ultimately grew to like the character, I imagine it's possible I haven't given him a fair shake yet. It's been so long that for now I'm happy sticking to my comfort zone with Mario and Link.

The demo has totally sold me on Super Smash Bros 3DS anywhoo. I don't own a Wii U so it's not like I have a choice between which version to get (even if the Wii U version most assuredly isn't being this year anyway), so this is my best shot. And man, as it turns out it has been far too long since I last played some more of this!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

Only just got around to playing the demo, and I think it's fantastic! I mean, yeah, it's more Smash -- but I never played Brawl so it's admittedly been quite a while for me anyway. Plus the idea of actually playing online I find to be quite exciting. I was happy to see how Mario and Link in particular are (almost) exactly as I remember them, though Link's a little slower overall and Mario now has that weird watergun attack for his down+special. I tried out Mega Man but didn't enjoy playing as him, though considering the OP had the same reaction but ultimately grew to like the character, I imagine it's possible I haven't given him a fair shake yet. It's been so long that for now I'm happy sticking to my comfort zone with Mario and Link.

The demo has totally sold me on Super Smash Bros 3DS anywhoo. I don't own a Wii U so it's not like I have a choice between which version to get (even if the Wii U version most assuredly isn't being this year anyway), so this is my best shot. And man, as it turns out it has been far too long since I last played some more of this!

The Wii U version is coming out this year for the holiday season. Though a date hasn't been officially announced, a November release seems very likely.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@hailinel: Oh, really? Like, worldwide and not just in Japan or what have you? Strange then why all the promotional material I've been seeing is all focussed on the 3DS version. You'd think it would be the Wii U version that'd be leading the charge, even if the 3DS also naturally has a significantly larger install base.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@hailinel: Oh, really? Like, worldwide and not just in Japan or what have you? Strange then why all the promotional material I've been seeing is all focussed on the 3DS version. You'd think it would be the Wii U version that'd be leading the charge, even if the 3DS also naturally has a significantly larger install base.

Some photos have leaked of supposed Best Buy materials that indicate a November 21st release date. Sakurai has stated before that the release dates of both versions were staggered so that they could get the time in QA that they individually need.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I've been watching some online videos and apparently Bowser is super good now.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

I'd assume that with the releases so close, they didn't want people to get distracted and decide to wait for the WiiU version instead of buying the 3DS version.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't stop playing the demo. #Ineedthisgame

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.