Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/Nintendo 3DS

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 13, 2014

Collectively known as "Super Smash Bros. 4", the fourth installment of Nintendo's fighting game series was released for both the Wii U console and the handheld Nintendo 3DS.

Impressions?

• 64 results
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#51  Edited By Yummylee

Online play is certainly an improvement when playing ''For Glory'', but even then it's only when it's a 1v1 match =/ Plus input lag is still a pretty common occurrence, least on my end of things. I've managed to win a fair few with Captain Falcon, though, I'm proud to say. Anywhoo after much more time invested I've come to appreciate Charizard quite a fair bit now. That Lucario seems alright as well, though I don't quite understand what his down+special does. Also, Dr. Mario > Luigi! Lucina might also be the most boring character.

Ganandorf is even slower than he was in Melee! But I do like that they've at least helped distinguish him from Captain Falcon, even if I also now much prefer CF.

Also, fuck that bee item thing that just pulls you out right out of the arena into death.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I'm a big fan of Shulk. Half of that probably comes from his exceptionally British VA ("I'm REALLY DIGGING IT") and the second half comes from him having stance changes and an absurd amount of range on some of his attacks. Duck Hunt and Robin also seem very much up my alley.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater: You tried online yet? If so how's your experience been thus far? I was hoping that upon its official release date things would have improved, but... nope, for me at least it continues to be utterly abysmal. Yet I keep trying! All for the sake of that 1/10 match I can get that actually (mostly) plays as intended. To be honest the shitty online portion of this game has really begun to sour the whole for me as that was one of the reasons I was excited to play this. It's morphed what I once saw as a 4/5 into a 3/5 sadly.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@yummylee: I just played about half an hour's worth of online For Fun matches with four players. Serious lag was only present in one of them. I had actually been having some connection issues just getting into matches in previous attempts but between those and my most recent successful try, I deleted the Smash Bros. demo from my SD card. Not sure if that was having any sort of effect on the game or not, but anecdotal evidence and all that.

Anyway, the online is really fun (when it's working, I guess?). I haven't won any online matches so far, though I did come close on several. Duck Hunt is really tricky to learn, but my main ZSS is helping me hang in there.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: 4-Player For Fun matches have actually been the worst of the lot, as they always involve extreme amounts of slowdown occurring somewhere in the match, if not throughout the whole thing. My best bet is to basically stick to For Glory 1v1s, however because that's of course where the hardest of the core hang it only amounts to frustration when going against players of a much higher skill level than I. That, and input lag and some occasional slowdown is prevalent even there.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@yummylee: I've not had much lag in the matches I've played.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Yummylee

@arbitrarywater: Hmm, well my internet's pretty speedy, so it may be because of my location and the players I invariably keep getting matched with. Plus with 4-player matches, it only takes one to drag the whole thing down. I really wish there was an option to narrow down the randoms to people within your vicinity -- like, let me pick a continent at the very least, as that would surely smooth things out a little. Because seriously, I wish I was exaggerating when I say that certain matches have proven to be borderline unplayable.

EDIT: My last 4-player For Fun match literally took about 15 seconds just to get through the 3 second countdown.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By topsteer

I just played 5 or 6 online matches for the first time and all but one was good. The first three was with the same four people and it ran perfectly fine. The last one however was horribly laggy and the match didn't last long until we were booted back to the menu. All of these were on For Fun with randoms, I'll never play For Glory since Smash without items and on flat stages is super dumb.

I didn't expect to like the Wii Fit Trainer but I did really well with her in the one match that I won.

Bowties

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#59  Edited By Bowties

So far I am enjoying this game a lot more than brawl. The only gripe I have with the game is the online with the lag, but i should of been more open minded on the online's infrastructure. Neither the less I do have a small dent in my chests from the fact that Popo and Nana aren't in this game, although I did find some new characters to enjoy.

(Wendy & Iggy): I love the fact that Bowser Jrs alts switch to the Koopalings rather than Bowser Jr getting there colors. The character overall has strong kill moves such as Side B Up B Neutral B and great recovery and probably the best recovery in the game depending on the situation I can see myself maining the character for the Wii U Version.

Fox: Love the character, hate his voice acting in this game the Japanese voice acting is so much better hands down. Hopefully the Wii U version he has a different voice actor. But overall I think he is pretty decent but gets destroyed by characters who are faster and hit harder than him (Examples: Sheik,Zero Suit Samus, and Greninja but that's my opinion)

Peach: She is one of the new characters I'm learning outside of Rosalina. She plays like her old self (So Ive heard) her side B has amazing range and damage and it's a decent kill move overall I haven't played her much in the older games so I don't know the differences between the later games.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Guys, guys, guys, Bowser is fucking CRAZY.

Seems like I'm going to be sticking with him and Robin. I need to work on my Nosferatu setups.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone not a huge fan of the series there's definitely something with how everything is setup, the different modes and the way things unlock that works. Though that's Nintendo for you, adding so much in the nook and crannies that they dare you not to like the game. The gameplay is what it is, even though everyone pulls off all their moves the same, what actually comes out can make them super useful, or near useless. It does suck when there's a character you want to play as though that you haven't figured out how to actually win with them.

Anyways, only played a couple online matches, with the people from here, I think I mighta ended the last match early by mistake, but, it was laggy and I didn't realize that I was ending the match when I quit. Ah well, shit happens. The betting on online matches I found to be a bit of fun.

Bowties

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Bowties

@starvinggamer: Bowser is pretty good, his Up A is arguably the best early kill move in the game. PS. I can't play Robin to save my life.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@bowties: How much are you zoning with her? Levin hits are super satisfying but she's so much more effective when you're doing Arcfire into stuff. Even if they block Arcfire I think you can get a Nosferatu for free.

AlecOfTheWest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing a game as fast paced as this on a handheld is awful. I love what I've played, but I kinda wish I had just waited for the Wii U release.

Bowties

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Bowties

@starvinggamer: Never thought of it that way honestly, thanks for the tip.

TheMathlete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Playing a game as fast paced as this on a handheld is awful. I love what I've played, but I kinda wish I had just waited for the Wii U release.

I gotta say, I agree with you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.