Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/Nintendo 3DS

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 13, 2014

Collectively known as "Super Smash Bros. 4", the fourth installment of Nintendo's fighting game series was released for both the Wii U console and the handheld Nintendo 3DS.

No Bayonetta in Super Smash Bros?

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By striderno9

With Nintendo publishing Bayonetta 2 I thought it was a no-brainer to get Bayonetta herself as a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Yet E3 has come and gone with no announcement from Nintendo. Is there still chance before the game comes out or is this just a pipe dream? I can't be the only one that would love this am I?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

Because she is an inherently M rated character. At least with Snake he was a pretty generic military man.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I doubt they would let her use any guns, demon summons, stripper poles and etc. Everything about her is pretty much M rated.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I'd say that it's because she's too risque, but Zero Suit Samus isn't too far off from Bayonetta. Less sexually charged, yes, but that blue suit is somewhere in the same ballpark.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

I edited your thread title to be a little more clear and moved it out of General.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Look at Zero Suit Samus...

Looks familiar...
    Looks familiar...
    REALLY FAMILIAR...
    REALLY FAMILIAR...

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Vuud

There's also the possibility that the creators of Bayonetta don't want her in Smash Bros.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By BabyChooChoo

As others across the internet have speculated, there is evidence (albeit arguably coincidental) that Bayonetta was supposed to make an appearance, but, for whatever reason, that idea was scrapped and she was sorta morphed into the Zero Suit Samus we have today.

Again, could just be a weird coincidence though. Or, hell, maybe she as well as some other surprises will make an appearance after all. I imagine no one outside of Nintendo knows for sure.

AlecOfTheWest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo's pretty stingy about third party characters in smash; it's not like Sony where they were throwing every character they could possibly think of at it. Bayonetta has yet to even be released on a Nintendo system.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Corevi

@alecofthewest: They aren't so stingy about it anymore, there was Sonic and Snake in Brawl (Snake only having two real games on Nintendo consoles, 3 if you count bootleg MG2, and the last one was Twin Snakes 10 years ago now.), and now there's Sonic again, Megaman and fucking Pacman.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Look at Zero Suit Samus...

Looks familiar...
    Looks familiar...
    REALLY FAMILIAR...
    REALLY FAMILIAR...

Yeah, when I saw Zero Suit Samus, I immediately though that t it looked liked they tried to put Bayonetta in the game, but couldn't make it work for some (probably rated M) reason and just re-purposed the work for something that was already in the game.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By crithon

I'm sorry, but I could have sworn Sakurai mentioned there are over 30 characters in Smash Bros during one of those e3 events? Am I incorrect?

AlecOfTheWest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AlecOfTheWest

@crithon: there are, people have counted and confirmed up to 48 or somewhere around there.

@corruptedevil: those all are long time video game icons. Nobody knows who Bayonetta is.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon: They already revealed 33 characters so yes. There are also more characters to be announced still, with the final roster probably being revealed at TGS.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By crithon

@alecofthewest: 48? really? wow, that's a huge surprise I didn't know that.

@corruptedevil: okay, 33 that's the number I remember, the e3 public tournament event was how many?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Corevi

@crithon: They had 30 playable at E3, no Miis, no Palutena and no Pacman.

The tournament only had 20 characters though, with: Little Mac, Zero Suit Samus, Bowser, Wii Fit Trainer, Marth, Mega Man, Pit, Villager, Pikachu, Mario, Link, Kirby, Samus, Rosalina & Luma, Sonic, Donkey Kong, Greninja, Pikmin & Olimar, Zelda, and Fox.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I'd say that it's because she's too risque, but Zero Suit Samus isn't too far off from Bayonetta. Less sexually charged, yes, but that blue suit is somewhere in the same ballpark.

What.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil: okay thanks, yeah once you start having too many characters then you get that player select that with HDTV it's hard to make out who is who. I learned this from casual gamers trying to make out the player select in Super SF4 Ultra "wait which one is chun li?"

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By DarthOrange

Does Nintendo own the Bayonetta IP? If anything there was a better chance of one of the Wonderful 101 being playable and they have already been confirmed to be a no show.

@alecofthewest: They aren't so stingy about it anymore, there was Sonic and Snake in Brawl (Snake only having two real games on Nintendo consoles, 3 if you count bootleg MG2, and the last one was Twin Snakes 10 years ago now.), and now there's Sonic again, Megaman and fucking Pacman.

Sonic is (was) Mario's rival. Megaman was the single most requested character. Pacman is in because Namco is helping make the game and of course they are going to get a representative. Be happy Sakurai put in the Pac-Man World version instead of the most resent Ghostly Adventures model that everyone hates. If Sony was adding him in PlayStation All-Stars they would probably use this one to promote the most recent game ala Dante and Raiden.

No Caption Provided

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@believer258 said:

What.

Did you finish reading the post?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hailinel

@hailinel said:

@believer258 said:

What.

Yes, I did. And I don't consider the Zero Suit in the same ballpark as Bayonetta's hair-suit.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

They're both form-fitting, yes, but that's about as far as I'd take the comparison.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@believer258 said:

@hailinel said:

@believer258 said:

What.

Yes, I did. And I don't consider the Zero Suit in the same ballpark as Bayonetta's hair-suit.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

They're both form-fitting, yes, but that's about as far as I'd take the comparison.

I dunno, Samus's zero suit is pretty form-fitting. Again, not quite to the same degree, and Samus just doesn't pay her potential sex appeal any mind whereas Bayonetta fucking knows it (from what I know of Bayonetta, anyway), but they're definitely both in the same ballpark of might-as-well-be-skin-paint uber-tight outfits.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Corevi

@believer258: The difference is that Bayonetta's is basically fetish gear in design while Samus' is the pretty generic Evangelion plug suit.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Bayonetta is obviously far too aggressive in her sexuality, she would frighten and intimidate players.

That's what makes Nu Samus so 'special', she's got the high heels, she's got the bod, but most of all she has that creepily submissive, "desperately seeking approval from senpai" personality. A true virtual idol for the ages.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel:

@believer258: The difference is that Bayonetta's is basically fetish gear in design while Samus' is the pretty generic Evangelion plug suit.

*shrugs shoulders* Just how it appears to me. Also note that I'm operating on what I've heard and seen about Bayonetta, I've never actually played it. I did note that Bayonetta is more fetishistic, so I can see her crossing a line that Samus just hasn't approached, but in terms of outfit only I think there's some similarity. I'm not really looking to get into an argument on this.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Corevi

@believer258: Fair enough, it's just that the sexual aspects of her character are so ingrained that without that stuff it wouldn't really be Bayonetta.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By damodar

@believer258: Taking Bayonetta's personality out of the equation, you're right that the outfits themselves are reasonably similar. Since you haven't played Bayonetta though, it's worth pointing out that her "clothes" are actually formed from her hair, using her special brand of witchy magic and that she frequently uses that hair to form massive monsters and stuff, at which point, it's no longer covering her body.

As to the topic at hand, I believe Kamiya addressed this on twitter after getting a billion tweets about it. Something along the lines of "FUCK SMASH IDIOTS!" :P

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Vuud
    @believer258 said:

@hailinel:

@corruptedevil said:

*shrugs shoulders* Just how it appears to me. Also note that I'm operating on what I've heard and seen about Bayonetta, I've never actually played it. I did note that Bayonetta is more fetishistic, so I can see her crossing a line that Samus just hasn't approached, but in terms of outfit only I think there's some similarity. I'm not really looking to get into an argument on this.

To keep things in perspective, I think the Wii Fit lady wears more revealing clothes than either of them. And Donkey Kong is just straight up nude.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By striderno9
    Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bayonetta is not a popular franchise, it might be a good franchise but good and Smash Bros don't necessarily mix.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bayonetta is not a popular franchise, it might be a good franchise but good and Smash Bros don't necessarily mix.

Ice Climber is popular?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@hailinel: Nintendo IPs =/= third party IPs, also new characters =/= already established characters.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.