Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/Nintendo 3DS

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 13, 2014

Collectively known as "Super Smash Bros. 4", the fourth installment of Nintendo's fighting game series was released for both the Wii U console and the handheld Nintendo 3DS.

Samus' alternate costume

• 54 results
    Avatar image for the7thdraconian
    the7thdraconian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Recently Nintendo revealed that they have put the outfit Samus wears at the end Fusion, Zero Mission, and the original Metroid as an alternate option when playing Zero Suit Samus. Yes, I'm talking about the skimpier one. On it's own this might not cause too much trouble as it you could easily say that it's like putting in Wario's original outfit as an alternate option in Brawl. However, when you release it right on the heels (no pun intended) of the controversial redesign of Zero Suit Samus this could be a problem. People are already miffed that a popular action girl game character like Samus is given rather ugly looking heels, but tossing her in a skimpy outfit on top of it just seems like throwing gasoline on a fire. What do you guys think? Could this cause an explosion or will it simply die down?

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think "explosion" may be a bit...overly dramatic. I'm not really a fan of this new costume (practically just underwear. I take my samus in a big suit of armor thank you) but its not like there will be gratuitous ass-shots during a match of smash bros. This is eye-roll/exasperated sigh material, nothing more.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't really care. I think the heels look alright, too.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I don't care, but I'm sure that makes me a horrible human being.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Literally couldn't care less.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By BoOzak
    Loading Video...

Personally I prefer the new look, I hated what they did to her in corruption, she looked a bit too cartoony and it didnt really fit with tone of the prime series. Now she looks more like she did in Other M which say what you will about that game but they at least got her look right.

Boobs are a bit much though, and I say that as a DOA fan.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@meatball said:

I don't care, but I'm sure that makes me a horrible human being.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are not heels, they're jet boots. Jeez. Moreover, everyone knows that being in zero-g makes your boobs grow bigger, science bro.

@boozak said:

Boobs are a bit much though, and I say that as a DOA fan.

Looks like no individual boob physics though. Very disappointing.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this incites ANY sort of response other than "Meh" from the general gaming public, then I'm going to be very disappointed.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#10 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Kinda wish they would throw a JUSTIN BAILEY costume in there.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You mean a game who's popularity is built completely around fan service ACTUALLY has fan service in it?

At this point, I'll take anything Metroid I can get, considering Samus is STILL the only franchise representative on the roster.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a nod to a thing that's been around for years so I think it's perfectly fine. If it had never existed and they pulled it out of thin air, then I feel like it's be pretty sketchy. There will no doubt be a few angry tweets and tumblr blogs and whatnot, but it's Nintendo. I feel like in comparison to just about any other company, they tend to get off easy when it comes to this sort of thing...

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Corevi
    @yinstarrunner said:

At this point, I'll take anything Metroid I can get, considering Samus is STILL the only franchise representative on the roster.

Who else would you put in? Ridley? One of the many grotesque and huge bosses? Space Pirate #57? Random-ass Chozo? The forgettable Hunters? "Remember Me" guy?

Metroid doesn't have any other characters that lend to the way Smash Bros plays.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The alternate costume looks like workout clothing to me. I don't find it offensive since it looks like something someone athletic would wear when training. Maybe I am insensitive, but it seems some folks are stretching to find fault with this one.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By NickM

-How many suits do you have, Samus?

-I have ZERO suits

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yinstarrunner said:

Who else would you put in? Ridley? One of the many grotesque and huge bosses? Space Pirate #57? Random-ass Chozo? The forgettable Hunters? "Remember Me" guy?

Metroid doesn't have any other characters that lend to the way Smash Bros plays.

Hell yeah! Get the one-off bounty hunters from Metroid Prime Hunters in the mix while they are at it. Sylux and Weavel for Smash!

The alternate costume looks like workout clothing to me. I don't find it offensive since it looks like something someone athletic would wear when training. Maybe I am insensitive, but it seems some folks are stretching to find fault with this one.

Isn't one of them from Super? None of them are magenta leotards with green hair though.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not offensive exactly, but it's definitely gratuitous and a bit low-brow, especially for Nintendo.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I actually prefer it to the Zero suit.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

So when you die in Super Metroid, Samus's suit explodes and for half a second you see what's underneath. It's pretty much this. They're not doing something that hasn't been done before.

This was an issue? Why the hell is this an issue? They're clearly not putting her in something that makes her compete with Dead or Alive characters.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a non issue. Ever see the original Metroid end costume? It's a bikini. Both costumes come from existing Metroid games. The "female designer" line is a little dumb, but I guess they were trying to dodge criticism.

That said, it's today's manufactured controversy that's not actually a big deal.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Trigger Warning: some women work out

Check the spoiler block for details!

No Caption Provided

All of this is to say that if this is what people are going to get up and arms about, then this whole discussion has jumped the shark. I clicked @penguindust 's link expecting to see something scandalous, and I was perturbed when I realized the "scandal" was that Samus was wearing a training outfit that a lot of women wear. Also, female MMA fighters.

If this doesn't turn into a huge debate I'll be so very happy. It'll mean that, yes, people aren't that crazy yet.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldirtybearon: Exactly. I think this is a stupid thing to complain about personally. I actually think the design looks cool personally, MUCH better than that full-bodied Zero suit look. Tell me, should I be offended Zangief only wears a skimpy speedo? She's not wearing a thong and pasties, it looks like workout clothes and is a nod to Justin Bailey. I'm just sick of all of this stuff, there's worse things out there in the world..REAL gender issues, not this.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

No issue, here. Also, the alternate is based on designs that already existed.

If this is what people on the internet are calling scandalous, they need to really step away for a second and adjust their priorities.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

People are just looking really hard for reasons to get offended now.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pyrodactyl

@yinstarrunner said:

You mean a game who's popularity is built completely around fan service ACTUALLY has fan service in it?

Come on, SSB is popular because it's the most fun fighting game series out there with all the flash and the accessibility lacking in other fighting game franchises.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By shinjin977

this is skimpy? She is wearing what women wear when they go to the gym for crying out loud. Come on people. I mean is this

No Caption Provided

skimpy?

syz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys, Metroid has always rewarded you for playing well by stripping Samus. The Prime games are the exception, not the rule. I don't understand why some people feel Samus is this sacrosanct character when Nintendo has always traded on her looks.

Isn't the real story here that the new Smash is going to have straigh up alts, and not just colors?

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Is it not less revealing than her full-body-form-fitting tights? Seems like a step in the right direction for anyone who wants to protect her shame.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

@soldierg654342: We knew that. Like Wario in the last game, they showed Lil Mac in the pink training sweatsuit.

Hopefully they go all out with everyone. Give Mario a Dr Mario costume, etc.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's less ridiculous than the catsuit and heels combo that Samus usually works with. The DOA girls laugh in Samus' general direction.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By EuanDewar

I mean, I think it looks boring and lame but not offensively so. I doubt this will actually incite much outrage.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It will probably cause explosions of a sort.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like Metroid games should give Samus more badass armor and move away from this kind of thing. Smash Bros is 90% fanservice though, so I guess I understand. At least it isn't as lame as giving her heels.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Skimpy is going a bit far..

You know.. It's ok for women to dress like that and still be sexy/strong/independent/regular/not ho's...

I get it. It's Samus. Doesn't make much sense to me either, but, in the grand scheme of things this is not an issue.

syz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By syz
    No Caption Provided

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By peritus

Its an alternate suit, if people dont want it just dont select it. I like having more options myself, so im glad they are adding it.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zirilius

Don't care cause they are based off existing outfits. Now I need to find a copy of Zero Mission and Fusion again. God those games were great.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see women dressed like that jogging in my neighborhood all the time. I don't see how it could be a problem. If this starts some kind of shit storm I don't know what to make of it.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We knew that. Like Wario in the last game, they showed Lil Mac in the pink training sweatsuit.

Hopefully they go all out with everyone. Give Mario a Dr Mario costume, etc.

I kinda hope Dr Mario is his own character like in Melee but I doubt it.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She looks like a girl that I would see at the gym. It all looks pretty functional more than "skimpy" to me.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By Aegon

Height: 6'3

Weight: 198 lbs

She must have super dense bones / muscles.

No Caption Provided

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#44  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

This entire thread seems to be girding against and deflating a backlash that isn't happening.

My only hope is that they add a jorts/gloves/stunna shades/sneakers variant.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#46  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

It's bad, but I'm not a fan of the Zero Suit design either. Would love to play in a costume where ZS Samus isn't a blatant pandering sex object, but I guess that's reserved for male characters. I'll just stick to playing regular Samus then.

@aegon said:

Height: 6'3

Weight: 198 lbs

She must have super dense bones / muscles.

No Caption Provided

This was before Nintendo retconned Samus from a physically strong character to a Barbie doll. She's like five feet tall now with no muscle, every other character towers over her in Other M.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Hailinel
    Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@TechnoSyndrome: That image was never canon in the first place.

Nothing in Nintendo Power was canon, same with all the scholastic books.

Avatar image for the7thdraconian
    the7thdraconian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In response to those posting how the outfit isn't quite as skimpy as other stuff in real life and video games, I'm aware of that, but I think it's a bad decision to reveal it along with the redesign which makes it hard to defend in my opinion. Luckily no one's actually gotten too angry yet, most likely everyone already used all their rage on the heels. That being said, I really hate those heels and I don't care that they're supposed to be rocket boots because they could've given her rocket boosts with out giving them such an ugly and out of character design.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In response to those posting how the outfit isn't quite as skimpy as other stuff in real life and video games, I'm aware of that, but I think it's a bad decision to reveal it along with the redesign which makes it hard to defend in my opinion. Luckily no one's actually gotten too angry yet, most likely everyone already used all their rage on the heels. That being said, I really hate those heels and I don't care that they're supposed to be rocket boots because they could've given her rocket boosts with out giving them such an ugly and out of character design.

It seems to me that you created this thread in anticipation and with the expectation of outrage that never materialized.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.