Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/Nintendo 3DS

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 13, 2014

Collectively known as "Super Smash Bros. 4", the fourth installment of Nintendo's fighting game series was released for both the Wii U console and the handheld Nintendo 3DS.

Sm4sh competitive viability

aregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

For those of you who either have the Japanese game or a demo, and who also pay attention to the competitive scene, what do you think of Smash 4 so far? I don't think it'll happen, but do you think Smash 4 will draw some people away from Project M? Whatever thoughts you have as a competitive player/enthusiast, please post.

Also stealth "ifyouhaveanNAcodeIwouldlovetohaveit" post

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

It will be just as boring to watch as Melee and Project M and take just as long, so yes.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I would just like to go on record and state that if anyone tries to add "Sm4sh" as an alias to the Super Smash Bros. wiki page, I will ban you.

Just kidding. But not really.

aregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

woah Mega Man Ken combos? I need a Japanese 3ds.

Actually I just need more money

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Corevi
    @aregee said:

woah Mega Man Ken combos? I need a Japanese 3ds.

Actually I just need more money

Megaman is in the demo so you only need to wait till the 19th to try that stuff out.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@mb said:

I would just like to go on record and state that if anyone tries to add "Sm4sh" as an alias to the Super Smash Bros. wiki page, I will ban you.

Just kidding. But not really.

It's fun to say though. Smuhfoursh.

aregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil: yeah... I'm willing to be patient but the hype train and the code begging definitely isn't helping

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

@aregee said:

I don't think it'll happen, but do you think Smash 4 will draw some people away from Project M?

It will draw everyone who is currently playing Project M away, and they will stay gone as long as the online is solid. Why play a knock off when you have the authentic thing? Nintendo seems to have been really embracing the competitive scene with all the tournaments leading up to launch and I would think they are going to continue that for the foreseeable future ensuring that the game always has a place with the FGC. Then again those people can be mad fickle so it is possible they all poo-poo it. What do I know.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@aregee said:

I don't think it'll happen, but do you think Smash 4 will draw some people away from Project M?

It will draw everyone who is currently playing Project M away, and they will stay gone as long as the online is solid. Why play a knock off when you have the authentic thing? Nintendo seems to have been really embracing the competitive scene with all the tournaments leading up to launch and I would think they are going to continue that for the foreseeable future ensuring that the game always has a place with the FGC. Then again those people can be mad fickle so it is possible they all poo-poo it. What do I know.

The competitive Smash community is one of the grossest I've ever come across. I'd rank them with the average MOBA community.

aregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I honestly didn't think Project M ever became a thing. I always assumed that competitive players stuck to their guns with Melee. I don't follow the scene except for the occasional twitch channels I play in the background while doing something else.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly didn't think Project M ever became a thing. I always assumed that competitive players stuck to their guns with Melee. I don't follow the scene except for the occasional twitch channels I play in the background while doing something else.

It's not used in professional tournaments due to it's active development status but there are a large amount of people playing online.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aregee said:

@hailinel: Why?

From my experience, they just screech if you try to play the game with them in any way but the "right" way (ex: No items, Final Destination). In that sense, they're no different from the worst competitive MOBA players, who will actively scream at other players for not being perfect clockwork soldiers. I've never come across a group so loathsome in how possessive they are of a game that was designed for a wide degree of match customization and, you know, having fun.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l1ghtn1n said:

@hailinel: As opposed to people yelling at them for not playing the "right" way with all items and random stages? Every damn person outside of the community yells at them for playing it at a competitive stage (or "the wrong way") so it's no wonder they get defensive.

Also for the record they do play more stages than Final Destination, counter picking stages is a large part of the strategy.

That argument doesn't work when people are playing casually and not in a competitive setting like a tournament.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l1ghtn1n said:

@hailinel: I can only play with no items/limited stages if I'm in a competitive setting or intending to compete? I've never competed in a tournament and don't have much of a desire to do so (though I'm considering it a bit more with Smash 4) I have a couple of friends where that's the way we play. I don't like playing with items and a lot of the stages have too much random stuff on them, we find it more fun to play with that stuff turned off. I've heard far more people bitching at us and mocking us for playing that way than we've yelled at them for playing with that stuff. If you want to play that way go for it but complaining about how we play the game is equally silly.

No, what I'm saying is that you shouldn't get pissy if people try to play with items or other stages, which is exactly what the people I'm thinking of did.

edsone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@hailinel said:

@aregee said:

From my experience, they just screech if you try to play the game with them in any way but the "right" way (ex: No items, Final Destination). In that sense, they're no different from the worst competitive MOBA players, who will actively scream at other players for not being perfect clockwork soldiers. I've never come across a group so loathsome in how possessive they are of a game that was designed for a wide degree of match customization and, you know, having fun.

I don't know, I never played Smash too seriously. Never thought it was that kind of game. There were games that I played however that needed some kind of "limits" to avoid throwing the balance out of the window. UMK3 comes to mind where me and my friends or whoever played with me had to ban a few characters or some cheap infinites. That game was just broken at high level play. Had loads of fun though. Or sometimes we'd allow anything and don't care about either winning or losing. Sometimes a losing performance was much more celebrated than a winning one like C. Sub Zero defeating Kabal or Human Smoke and such. Smash Bros strikes as that kind of game. I could be very, very wrong though.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@i_stay_puft said:

It's not used in professional tournaments due to it's active development status but there are a large amount of people playing online.

Online? I thought Nintendo shut down the Wii's online functionality months ago? This just shows you how out of the loop I am.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil said:
    @i_stay_puft said:

Online? I thought Nintendo shut down the Wii's online functionality months ago? This just shows you how out of the loop I am.

Playing through Dolphin

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l1ghtn1n said:
    @hailinel said:

@l1ghtn1n said:

@hailinel: I can only play with no items/limited stages if I'm in a competitive setting or intending to compete? I've never competed in a tournament and don't have much of a desire to do so (though I'm considering it a bit more with Smash 4) I have a couple of friends where that's the way we play. I don't like playing with items and a lot of the stages have too much random stuff on them, we find it more fun to play with that stuff turned off. I've heard far more people bitching at us and mocking us for playing that way than we've yelled at them for playing with that stuff. If you want to play that way go for it but complaining about how we play the game is equally silly.

No, what I'm saying is that you shouldn't get pissy if people try to play with items or other stages, which is exactly what the people I'm thinking of did.

And I've been on the other side, people shouldn't get pissy if others try to play without items or other stages. Sucks you ran into crazies, but painting the entire community that way after a small encounter with a few isn't great either. Most of the people who play it competitively seem like reasonable people but there's always going to be a few who take it too seriously in any community, whether that's people in Dota yelling at me for playing a new hero, people in WoW yelling at me for doing a raid I've never done before, or people playing StarCraft II yelling at me because I mostly play custom games in there.

It was more than one encounter, is all I'll say. And I'm not going to talk about that here any longer since this thread is being dragged off-topic. If you want to continue this, please take it to a PM.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#24  Edited By StarvingGamer

@hailinel said:

@aregee said:

I know you've buried this but I just want to say that as someone who is very active in the FGC, you're talking about the same vocal minority of assholes that exists in any community. Every Smash player I know/have come across has zero problems with people who want to have fun and play Smash whatever way they want. The only time you'll ever hear them talking about the "right" way to play Smash is in a tournament-level competitive sense. And that usually only comes up after someone else talks down on them for playing the game the way they want to play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.