Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/Nintendo 3DS

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 13, 2014

Collectively known as "Super Smash Bros. 4", the fourth installment of Nintendo's fighting game series was released for both the Wii U console and the handheld Nintendo 3DS.

Smash Bros. Wii U: 3DS version limiting the roster

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I'm into the new characters and I kind of assumed it was a working title (though... who cares, really?) but yeah, if they're limiting the roster because of the 3DS game, that's pretty sucky.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By MezZa

This is fine with me. There was already a shit ton of characters in brawl, and we don't know how much they're limiting the number by. I'd be alright with dropping some of the more unnecessary characters. Sonic and Snake are ones I can see easily being dropped since Mega Man is filling the 3rd party spot. As well as Toon/Young link. That character was my secondary, but do we really need 2 Links with slightly altered moves in every game? I could see them just making Link slightly faster to help accommodate for the Toon Link style and leaving it at that. Lucario and Jigglypuff (she was in brawl right? shit its been so long) likewise seems like prime candidates to drop given that Pikachu and Pokemon Trainer can already sufficiently represent the pokemon series. I can also see Ike getting the boot while Marth stays. Although I really wish they would replace Ike with a character from Awakening. The same can go for a couple others, but I'm not going to bother listing them all.

I'll probably catch some flack for saying that I'm alright with a good chunk of these characters getting the boot since Nintendo characters have a knack for attracting people in powerful ways, but I'm trying to look at this from a neutral perspective.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

They said back when the game was first announced that this one would likely have a smaller roster, as they want to focus more on unique characters and have a better overall balance.

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, as long as the roster doesn't feel overly small. Some franchises had too much representation in Brawl and in other cases, certain characters felt shoehorned in for the sake of expanding reps for a franchise. Did we really need Fox, Falco and Wolf or the 17 Pokemon characters?

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
    SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If King Dedede is dropped so is this game, that's all I'm sayin'

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm perfectly fine with cutting characters. Immediately the people that should go that come to mind are R.O.B, Toon Link, Lucas, Diddy Kong, Wolf and Lucario. Maybe Ike? Game and Watch is hardly a fan favourite.

Jigglypuff too, now that I think about it. I love me some Jigglypuff, but she really shouldn't have even gotten past the first game.

Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Chibithor

I think not liking the Wii Fit Trainer is a criminal offense in some parts of the world.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deegee: The fact Toon Link appears in the background of one of the stages more or less confirms he's gone. I agree with your list though and if we need two Fire Emblem characters it should be Marth/Lucina and Chrom.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Fox should be cut just to mess with that crowd.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cmblasko

That's fine. A lot of characters' move sets in Brawl were cloned or uninspired, anyway.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MezZa

@deegee: Wow, I forgot about ROB. If they keep him over someone else more important I'm going to be heavily disappointed in their choices.

@dekkadekkadekka: Has that crowd even existed since the release of brawl? When I was floating around in the more competitive crowd Final Destination was still a thing, but no one I ran into cared about Fox being the "skill" character after everything became more floaty.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#15  Edited By Hailinel

OP has a strange definition of disaster.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@deegee: Wow, I forgot about ROB. If they keep him over someone else more important I'm going to be heavily disappointed in their choices.

@dekkadekkadekka: Has that crowd even existed since the release of brawl? When I was floating around in the more competitive crowd Final Destination was still a thing, but no one I ran into cared about Fox being the "skill" character after everything became more floaty.

Brawl and melee are two different scenes as the game appeals to different players. Both are still going strong. melee is even part of evo this year.

I can live with this, I like having a bunch of characters but truth be told many of them end up feeling underdeveloped or not very good. if a smaller roster allows better character design overall I can take that balance.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It has Mega Man so I don't care.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

That suuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MideonNViscera

That kinda sucks, but Mega Man is twice as cool as Sonic and fits in much better than Snake. Also, Animal Crossing Villager looks fucking sweet, and Wii Fit Instructor is just downright hilarious.

The only downside is, by the time this comes out I'll probably have a WiiU so I'll be a little more chapped about the 3DS holding it back.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Niceanims

You take my Game and Watch and I'm gone.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was thinking about getting the game on 3DS but a smaller roster puts me off immensely

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only ever rented Brawl, but I gotta say, the tedium of unlocking all those extra characters, and being disappointed almost every time makes me care a lot less about a smaller roster. Though I do wholly support putting Chrom in this game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So the game is going to suck because the title is bland, you don't like the characters they did give you and there wont be a plethora of third party characters? Take this gargabe to gamefaqs.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Umm, did anyone read the actual article?

"The reality of the situation unfortunately is that there are certain limitations on the 3DS," Sakurai said. The 3DS and Wii U versions of the next Smash Bros will have the same library of characters.

"So we're forced into the situation where we may need to reduce some characters to a certain degree. but we're really working hard in order to include as many characters as possible."

He's not saying the 3DS version WILL be limiting the roster, he said it COULD be. Christ, read the entire thing before you post a knee jerk reaction.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too bad, Snake was the only reason I played as much Brawl as I did. I don't think this will be the game I buy a Wii U for, but I do look forward to seeing how the 3DS version pans out.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cheesebob: It's not a smaller roster on the 3DS , it's a potentially smaller roster in general for both games. The roster on both platforms will be identical.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cheesebob

@dystopiax: You contradicted yourself. Potentially smaller =/= the roster on both platforms being identical

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wintersnowblind: Hah, it would be pretty funny if they included a Marth that way.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MezZa

@cheesebob: The article flat out states that both games will have an identical roster. The potentially smaller roster being talked about is the roster being smaller on both platforms because of the 3DS limitations.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Joeyoe31

If they cut out all the clone characters, and have a decent number of genuinely different characters, then I'm perfectly fine with a smaller roster.

As for the name just call it Super Smash Brothers 4.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joeyoe31 said:

If they cut out all the clone characters, and have a decent number of genuinely different characters, then I'm perfectly fine with a smaller roster.

N...not my Falco right?

Buble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Buble

I'm jacked about Mega Man

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

While I always prefer as many characters as possible in Smash Bros., I have no problem trimming the roster as long as they eliminate some unnecessary clones like Toon Link and Wolf. If they cut it down to 30-32, that's enough variety to satisfy most Smash Bros. fans, I believe.

Also, Snake was a cool idea and all, but not really a character that's synonymous with Nintendo. I would cut him before anybody else. Mega Man, on the other hand, seems like a more appropriate fit, especially old-school Mega Man.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Brawl was a step down from Melee because they included so many characters that you could tell some of them didn't get as much attention as others. This also screwed with the balance and led to a lot of clones. So trimming the roster sounds good to me, but if they're going to do that, then that makes news about the Wii Fit Trainer kind of suck. I have no problem with her being included if they're going all out crazy, but if they're trying to make a more restrained roster than I'd rather see her valuable spot go to someone more meaningful.

Also the news in that article about 3rd party characters is lame. Even if he didn't play that fun, Sonic was one of the most interesting additions to the Brawl roster, and there are a ton of other 3rd party characters who would scratch that same itch. I'm not sure how much further they can go with first party characters.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Oh no guys we won't have 30 clone characters fuck everything.

End of an era, RIP Nintendo.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By DoctorWelch

This can only be good news. Too many characters in any fighting game actually makes it worse. Characters don't get enough attention and it eventually just feels diluted and unbalanced in the end. A new HD Smash Bros. with the cool new characters they've already announced is enough for me at this point.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"This game is shaping up to be a disaster." We've only seen 1 trailer. Relax.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#41  Edited By Levio

Yeah, screw MegaMan. Ripping parts out of his enemies and installing them into himself? Freaking lame. And what's with that theme music? Get some dubstep in there, wtf.

He's like some Iron Man ripoff that can't fly and doesn't objectify women.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt the Smash Bros. team has the resources to properly balance a game above the 25-35 character range, so I'm pretty fine with the roster being Brawl-sized or a little smaller. I certainly wasn't expecting it to suddenly be an MvC 3 roster or anything.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deegee said:

Jigglypuff too, now that I think about it. I love me some Jigglypuff, but she really shouldn't have even gotten past the first game.

Take my Ness, take my Luigi, and take my Kirby. BUT PLEASE DON'T TAKE MY PUFF!!!

I'm ok with less characters if its balanced better and they fix some of the big mistakes they made with Brawl. Melee is still the supreme SSB game (despite all the efforts with Project X) and I hope Nintendo knows that and makes the game competitively viable again (in my opinion).

Metaknight can go.

skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By skyline7284

There were too many of similar characters in Brawl. Do we really need Fox, Falco AND Wolf? Link AND Toon Link? Sure they all technically played differently, but I would much rather see a much more diverse lineup, which I why think The Villager is awesome. Also, fuck Wario. Cut him. Please.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

That's because they're working titles. They're not honestly going to sell these games under those names.

I'd hope that they give some battle-related subtitles to both versions but in a world where "Wii Party" exists, I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to market an actual video game under the name "Super Smash Bros for Wii U"

Also, it's one trailer. Also there were plenty of extraneous and unnecessary characters in Brawl, so I wouldn't cry if Wolf/Lucario/Toon Link/ROB/Lucas were cut out in favor of whatever batshit weird characters Sakurai wishes to troll the internet with. (Also, you know they're going to get rid of Ike for Chrom)

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Video_Game_King
    kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They said back when the game was first announced that this one would likely have a smaller roster, as they want to focus more on unique characters and have a better overall balance.

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, as long as the roster doesn't feel overly small. Some franchises had too much representation in Brawl and in other cases, certain characters felt shoehorned in for the sake of expanding reps for a franchise. Did we really need Fox, Falco and Wolf or the 17 Pokemon characters?

Definitely a bunch of clones, but some people like those clones. Ganon is basically Falcon, but I always preferred Ganon cuz Ganon.

That's because they're working titles. They're not honestly going to sell these games under those names.

The names were confirmed in an IGN article I believe.

@hailinel said:

OP has a strange definition of disaster.

Just everything about this new Smash has been rotten for me personally. I just recently watched the reveal trailer for Brawl and was immediately reminded of how exciting it was. You get introduced to several new characters (Metaknight, Pit, Zero Suit Samus, and of course the huge reveal Solid Snake). It was fantastic. This one was so...lackluster. Like they just didn't have any fucks to give. It was like "hey here's your new uninspired Smash, blah, blah blah". They reveal Villager because people have TOTALLY been clamoring for that, Mega Man (which was actually a cool sequence) and then they hype up a brand new character and reveal...Wii Fit Lady...Fuck off Nintendo. All of that combined with the Wii U version basically being gimped because of the 3DS one just really leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I totally DO want Smash on the go, but not at the expense of the core console game. Just make them separate experiences. Hell you'll make more money that way.

@liquidus said:

Umm, did anyone read the actual article?

"The reality of the situation unfortunately is that there are certain limitations on the 3DS," Sakurai said. The 3DS and Wii U versions of the next Smash Bros will have the same library of characters.

"So we're forced into the situation where we may need to reduce some characters to a certain degree. but we're really working hard in order to include as many characters as possible."

He's not saying the 3DS version WILL be limiting the roster, he said it COULD be. Christ, read the entire thing before you post a knee jerk reaction.

Could be = It will. Be real here. The fact that they will have the same amount of characters is telling in of itself.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By Red

Sonic and Snake were some of the most broken Brawl characters because of their cheap final smashes, so I'd be fine seeing them get cut. Cut Ike, replace him with Chrom, cut Lucario and replace him with...uhhh...some new pokemon (maybe the Awakened version of Mewtwo they have now? Victini?), cut ROB, cut Wolf, cut Toon Link. Can't think of many characters to add in, even from a 3rd party, that would fit in.

EDIT: Wait, Wii Fit trainer is an actual playable character? I thought she would just be an assist trophy or something. I mean, what? Also, I guarantee you that a Mii will be a playable character. Also, the Punch Out kid. I forget his name. Punchy McPuncherson or something like that.

Caustic_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree on getting rid of the clones. Sorry to rain on the parade but I am disappointed that they decided to add MegaMan instead of Zero. It's a shame, since Zero was pretty boss in MvC 3.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Hunter5024

@video_game_king said:

I'd hope that they give some battle-related subtitles to both versions but in a world where "Wii Party" exists, I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to market an actual video game under the name "Super Smash Bros for Wii U"

Also, it's one trailer. Also there were plenty of extraneous and unnecessary characters in Brawl, so I wouldn't cry if Wolf/Lucario/Toon Link/ROB/Lucas were cut out in favor of whatever batshit weird characters Sakurai wishes to troll the internet with. (Also, you know they're going to get rid of Ike for Chrom)

Damn ittt. You're totally right. He better play identical.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.