Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/Nintendo 3DS

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 13, 2014

Collectively known as "Super Smash Bros. 4", the fourth installment of Nintendo's fighting game series was released for both the Wii U console and the handheld Nintendo 3DS.

What are your thoughts on the final roster? (SPOILERS)

• 58 results
    L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

I'd really hoped they would put Duck Hunt Dog in the game, so that was kind of amazing when they announced that.

But Dan's right, this game needs more Waluigi.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By MezZa

I'm really happy with the roster. All my past mains are in, and it sounds like some of them have received some improvements this time around (Sheik). Diddy Kong sounds like he got nerfed a bit, but thats perfectly fine. As far as the newcomers go, they got Robin and Villager in and those were really the only two I was gunning for before any character announcements were made. Those will probably be the two I try first. The rest are neat, but not that exciting to me.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I think it's fine and holds up decently to what people expect. I will say after playing the demo that Mega Man plays like garbage. So, here's hoping that the rest of the new characters actually play well.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#54  Edited By Tireyo

Roster looks fine to me.

Mercury45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I feel bad for people who loved Snake and Lucas. While they weren't my absolute favorites, it's gotta suck for anyone who loses a main. Ice Climbers are dearly missed as well, even if it was for a good reason. Cuts aside this is definitely the best roster in a Smash Bros. game to date.

I'm not entirely convinced there won't be downloadable characters at a later date, but even if not I'm pretty impressed with all the characters in this. I haven't played all of them yet but the ones I have feel great. Duck Hunt is just brilliant.

@random45 said:

That is absolutely fucking nuts if that guy is serious.

I regret that I must confirm that he really is serious. I won't get into the details, but I know that that guy has stalked and harrassed people over the internet because he's that obsessed with Mewtwo. It's just as creepy and horrifying as you'd think.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By I_Stay_Puft
    Someday Captain Nintendo, someday.
    Someday Captain Nintendo, someday.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This is coming from someone who generally doesn't like most of what Nintendo does but inexplicably loves this series so feel free to take my opinions on this with a grain of salt. I think the roster is decent overall, probably the only two Nintendo franchises I care about are Fire Emblem and Pokemon so obviously I want more of those characters. Lucina is a great choice but I think Robin is a pretty horrible one as they're just an avatar for the player and barely a character, I'd much rather see a purely magic focused class or one of the wyvern or pegasus riders from that series. Any of the armored knights would be cool too since there's not that many big slow fighters. For Pokemon I expected a grass starter and Chesnaught would be a perfect fit.

The only new characters I don't like and wish they would've picked somebody else are Shulk, Duck Hunt dog and Pac Man. Shulk just reminds me of how much a bummer Xenoblade Chronicles was and is too similar to other sword wielders. Pac Man is just not fun to play as and I'll never understand how people could be excited for the damn Duck Hunt dog. If they wanted a dog in then why not a Nintendog and have different breeds be its alternates.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@topsteer said:

I think Robin is a pretty horrible one as they're just an avatar for the player and barely a character

Robin is just-as-much-if-not-more of a character in Awakening than anyone else save Chrom and Lucina. She's deeply involved in basically every major plot point and is the only character that has support conversations with everyone. My only complaint is that they didn't shuffle more of the customization options in as alternate colors but I'll take what I can get.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@topsteer said:

This is coming from someone who generally doesn't like most of what Nintendo does but inexplicably loves this series so feel free to take my opinions on this with a grain of salt. I think the roster is decent overall, probably the only two Nintendo franchises I care about are Fire Emblem and Pokemon so obviously I want more of those characters. Lucina is a great choice but I think Robin is a pretty horrible one as they're just an avatar for the player and barely a character, I'd much rather see a purely magic focused class or one of the wyvern or pegasus riders from that series. Any of the armored knights would be cool too since there's not that many big slow fighters. For Pokemon I expected a grass starter and Chesnaught would be a perfect fit.

The only new characters I don't like and wish they would've picked somebody else are Shulk, Duck Hunt dog and Pac Man. Shulk just reminds me of how much a bummer Xenoblade Chronicles was and is too similar to other sword wielders. Pac Man is just not fun to play as and I'll never understand how people could be excited for the damn Duck Hunt dog. If they wanted a dog in then why not a Nintendog and have different breeds be its alternates.

Robin is significantly different from the Fire Emblem Lords in the game in that her specials are magic attacks. Shulk has mechanics that separate him from the other sword wielders (and Xenoblade Chronicles is an excellent game, so there. :P), and the Duck Hunt dog is just completely bizarre with the way his moves work. He's pretty awesome, and as someone that grew up cursing that dog's existence, I"m actually really, really happy that he was included. Pac-Man, I could take or leave, but for the requisite Namco guest character, he's pretty cool.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@starvinggamer: Barely a character was maybe hyperbolic but Robin is easily the least interesting character in that game simply due to them being customizable. They basically have no personality since they're an amnesiac and they just tag along and decide the strategy for battles.It's not until the reveal that they become a somewhat interesting character. Maybe I'm just taking my frustration out on Robin because of the disappointing story and characters of Awakening but I really don't like Robin as a standalone character.

@hailinel Robin still has a sword though which is why I would prefer a pure magic class, lord knows there's plenty to choose from. I just want some variety in the Fire Emblem fighters, Robin is a good start but I'd love to have a winged class or a big knight. I've accepted a while ago that I'm in the minority on Xenoblade and Shulk is fun enough I guess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.