Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/Nintendo 3DS

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 13, 2014

Collectively known as "Super Smash Bros. 4", the fourth installment of Nintendo's fighting game series was released for both the Wii U console and the handheld Nintendo 3DS.

Why is the community for SSB so toxic?

• 78 results
    TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By TruthTellah

@slag said:

I think a better question is perhaps what causes someone to call a "community" toxic in the first place? I suspect most who do so are ascribing the actions of a few to an entire community, not unlike other stereotypes.

That being said I have no doubt some communities are more toxic than others. Although that kind of relative toxicity has to be incredibly hard to accurately judge. Where does SSB fall in that realm? I don't know, it never struck me as that different from some other FGC sub-communities, other maybe it might skew a little younger. And honestly I don't know of any gaming communities that have a reputation for being a positive bunch, hate to say it.

I wonder what the tipping point is that makes it seem like a whole community is toxic (which is something I doubt to be ever true). 5% of people who are incredibly toxic with 20% looking the other way which enables the behavior? 15/40? 35/65? I really don't know.

I've been keeping track lately of how many jerks I encounter in DOTA 2 and at least so far it's probably really only around 20% or so of players I encounter. And most of those only toss off a few crappy insults. The super toxic I encounter maybe 5% of the time or less. But since very few go out of their way to be fun and friendly and the vast majority are silent, it makes it feel like there is this incredible toxicity. Because if you are going to encounter a comment at all, there is a very high probability that's the kind of comment you'll see.

Does that mean DOTA 2 community is toxic if only 5-20% (if my admittedly very subjective and very inadequate sample size is correct) of the people playing it are?

I don't think anyone's saying that all of the SSB community are terrible. I wouldn't even say that of the League of Legends community. But the environment of a community can be "toxic". In other words, leaning toward being unpleasant over leaning toward being welcoming. Or, in the context of a discussion, toxic may mean that a subject leans toward inspiring troubled or bad conversation vs a subject that is more easily talked about.

For example, I wouldn't consider Giant Bomb to be a toxic community, but I can acknowledge areas of the environment which are toxic to discussion. That's based on observed trends over time and aspects of those who make the majority of comments. Even the moderators appear to have singled in on "toxic" topics which are weaknesses within the larger community. Obviously, a lot of people won't contribute to something being problematic, but a big part of it has to do with who engages in the conversation. Who sets the tone of the environment. Most Giant Bomb members are cool folks, but what sets the tone of Giant Bomb is within those who regularly make threads, comment in threads, and the over-arching influence of the staff. So, even if most people are fine, there can be trends in the kinds of discussions and outcomes we actually have with those who are most active and most cultivate the environment around here.

The same is true for the SSB community or practically any other. A lot of conduct is based on expectation and fitting in. So, if people observe that the norm is one way, there are more inclined to embrace that persona. It's like how you may act differently around different people. You may be more formal with a parent, more shy with a stranger, or more outgoing with a close friend. You may go to a club and be far more crude when hanging around more casual friends than if you were just having a nice dinner in a restaurant. People are people, but a large part of people is their environment and how they adapt to it.

If the SSB pro community appears relatively toxic to someone, that usually speaks to a larger, more pervasive issue of the environment they've cultivated than just a few folks. There are those who set tone and those who enable it, and they are all part of maintaining a community's strengths and weaknesses.

As for the SSB pro community's root cause for this, I imagine it's because they have had to put so much effort into getting anyone to take their preferred game seriously that they prickle a bit at newcomers who may not take it as seriously as they do. That's similar to a problem within the larger gamer community, where many gamers have had to try to defend and justify their favored hobby for years, and while that has helped protect and grow gaming, that same zeal is at times preventing some gamers from accepting any legitimate criticism of the hobby or community they have defended so passionately.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@spraynardtatum said:

You know, not to jump on the OP because he did ask nicely, but does anyone think that claiming an entire community is terrible is a dick thing to do? Even if it's true, it just seems wrong to me to openly insult a community and then also think that you're not being a dick too. Sometimes there's no other option (can't think of any examples but people seem to love bashing the Xbox Live community) but a lot of the time I think people mistake passion for being an asshole.

Or they think that their limited experience is an accurate example of everyones experience.

I think most people exaggerate how bad the gaming community at large is. I'm not saying it's all good but any congregation of people is going to have bad eggs. Especially when you take into account just how vast these communities are. Even SSBs community is massive when you think about it in real world terms.

The size of the community is a huge factor in understanding how many numbskulls you're going to be dealing with.

Seriously. I've seen zero evidence suggesting the Smash community is any worse than other gaming communities, let alone other fighting game communities. They might be, but I don't think it's appropriate to treat it as a self-evident premise. I'm not even really clear on what the Smash community even is here -- my understanding is that it's very much a regional thing, so are we talking about SoCal or Stockholm? By "toxic", are we talking about inclusiveness, or trash talking? Is anyone being hurt by a certain group deciding to play a game competitively?

I mean, there's plenty of bad behaviour among sports enthusiasts, but it would be plainly ridiculous to ask "why is the community for hockey so toxic?". Are NHL players taking away from the enjoyment of people playing casual street hockey?

I don't think it's a case of the Smash community necessarily being any worse than others. What does stand out is the vociferousness and viciousness of members of the competitive Smash community, particularly when it comes to their defense of Smash as a competitive fighting game and not just a game for people to gather around and have fun. That these people also tend to have "my way or the highway" interactions with others, in that they insist on playing by competitive rules that restrict much of what the game has to offer, even while in supposedly casual settings, only exacerbates that notion. These are the people that complain that Sakurai removed the wavedashing glitch from Brawl and threw in an unavoidable random element in tripping, cursing Brawl's existence all the while as they praise Project M for "correcting" it.

Also...

@pr1mus said:

When i worked in QA there was this small group of crazies that did nothing but play "Melee" during lunch for years. They were real serious about it and "Brawl" should not be mentioned in that room. They would of course only ever play that super boring training stage or whatever, the one that's only a flat platform. These were dark times.

THIS. ALL OF THIS. I was in the same boat back in my days doing temp QA at NOA. During lunch, a display GameCube running Melee would be crowded with guys playing No items/Final Destination matches, and I actually got dirty looks for having the gall to start a match with items turned on. These people insisted on having fun their way and were incredibly off-putting and exclusionary when it came to interacting with anyone that didn't have that NI/FD mindset.

On the one hand, I'm happy that the next Smash Bros. will have distinct For Fun and For Glory modes. But I can't help but feel that these modes are in their own way trolling on Sakurai's part, as it restricts the competitive side to No Items/Final Destination while the other side is called "Fun".

AlecOfTheWest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By AlecOfTheWest

With a taste of your lips

I’m on a ride

You're toxic

I'm slipping under

With a taste of a poison paradise

I’m addicted to you

Don’t you know that you’re toxic

And I love what you do

Don’t you know that you’re toxic

Grelik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't say much about the community surrounding SSB, but when I watched it on EVO streams I quickly became pretty bored after the 15th match of Peach vs. Fox/Falco.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By geirr

Let me guess!

Fanboys + internet.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#57  Edited By DarthOrange

@haruko said:

I've been a fan of smash brothers since the original and enjoy the game immensely but something that has thoroughly confused me for years now is why the smash community (professional players, tournament players, and their respective communities) are so unbelievable toxic to new players, casual players, and anyone who doesn't like playing the game the "professional way" (Final destination, no items, yada yada yada).

So was your local Smash community mean to you? Or are you basing this off of a few people on the internet and saying that everyone in the community is like that? I've met nice Smash players locally, and for internet forums the NeoGAF Smash community is one of the nicest places on the internet.

Some assholes doesn't mean a community on the whole is "toxic." I't would be like calling the Giant Bomb community toxic just because some users like @mariachimacabre are assholes.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@darthorange said:

@haruko said:

I've been a fan of smash brothers since the original and enjoy the game immensely but something that has thoroughly confused me for years now is why the smash community (professional players, tournament players, and their respective communities) are so unbelievable toxic to new players, casual players, and anyone who doesn't like playing the game the "professional way" (Final destination, no items, yada yada yada).

So was your local Smash community mean to you? Or are you basing this off of a few people on the internet and saying that everyone in the community is like that? I've met nice Smash players locally, and for internet forums the NeoGAF Smash community is one of the nicest places on the internet.

Some assholes doesn't mean a community on the whole is "toxic." I't would be like calling the Giant Bomb community toxic just because some users like @mariachimacabre are assholes.

"Toxic" has become a codeword for "people I don't like to be around". Many of the people who use the term "toxic" to describe a vibrant subculture are often the same people who get butthurt when anything colours outside the lines of their standards. A bit sad, really.

Avatar image for generic_username
    generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#59  Edited By generic_username

Why should we care about a bunch of people taking a fun explosive game and turning it into street fighter? I've played a fair amount of brawl with friends and we did the final destination/no items thing and it was great fun. That doesn't mean we can't also appreciate the dumb chaos of random maps full of items.

The thing we didn't do is play only with top tier characters and memorize optimal juggle combos. Seriously, playing smash brothers at a high level just seems boring as fuck with hardly no special attacks and nothing but super fast ''elegant'' combos.

I blame people like this for the inclusion of Marth in the next smash brother instead of Ike, a much more varied, explosive and interesting character.

I'd say comments like this are the reason.

It's one thing to not understand something, but it's another to dismiss it entirely and call it "boring as fuck" when clearly, by the competetive scene existing at all, some people don't see it that way.

There is a huge presence of people with extremely dismissive attitudes about competitive SSB play. I don't think that excuses any terrible behavior, but having the majority of people talk about your passion in such a derisive way makes it very easy to start off a conversation ready to fucking go, you know?

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@greggd said:

@animasta said:
    @schlorgan said:

Why is the community for [insert almost any game name here] so toxic?

to be fair sonic has a shitty ass fanbase but it's not because it's toxic necessarily.

*Blank* The Hedgehog, aka why DeviantArt is a frightening place!

Better yet, search "GFW Radio Sonic" on Youtube. You'll never be able to look at Sonic fans the same way again.

That bit never gets old. Amazing bit of radio.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@hailinel said:

@grantheaslip said:

@spraynardtatum said:

You know, not to jump on the OP because he did ask nicely, but does anyone think that claiming an entire community is terrible is a dick thing to do? Even if it's true, it just seems wrong to me to openly insult a community and then also think that you're not being a dick too. Sometimes there's no other option (can't think of any examples but people seem to love bashing the Xbox Live community) but a lot of the time I think people mistake passion for being an asshole.

Or they think that their limited experience is an accurate example of everyones experience.

I think most people exaggerate how bad the gaming community at large is. I'm not saying it's all good but any congregation of people is going to have bad eggs. Especially when you take into account just how vast these communities are. Even SSBs community is massive when you think about it in real world terms.

The size of the community is a huge factor in understanding how many numbskulls you're going to be dealing with.

Seriously. I've seen zero evidence suggesting the Smash community is any worse than other gaming communities, let alone other fighting game communities. They might be, but I don't think it's appropriate to treat it as a self-evident premise. I'm not even really clear on what the Smash community even is here -- my understanding is that it's very much a regional thing, so are we talking about SoCal or Stockholm? By "toxic", are we talking about inclusiveness, or trash talking? Is anyone being hurt by a certain group deciding to play a game competitively?

I mean, there's plenty of bad behaviour among sports enthusiasts, but it would be plainly ridiculous to ask "why is the community for hockey so toxic?". Are NHL players taking away from the enjoyment of people playing casual street hockey?

I don't think it's a case of the Smash community necessarily being any worse than others. What does stand out is the vociferousness and viciousness of members of the competitive Smash community, particularly when it comes to their defense of Smash as a competitive fighting game and not just a game for people to gather around and have fun. That these people also tend to have "my way or the highway" interactions with others, in that they insist on playing by competitive rules that restrict much of what the game has to offer, even while in supposedly casual settings, only exacerbates that notion. These are the people that complain that Sakurai removed the wavedashing glitch from Brawl and threw in an unavoidable random element in tripping, cursing Brawl's existence all the while as they praise Project M for "correcting" it.

I think it might just be a knee-jerk, backed-into-a-corner thing. Most fighting games are very obviously competitive, and even those who aren't playing on a competitive level are on some level aspiring to play better. Smash has a much bigger following as a casual party game, and there's a pretty widespread sense that those playing it competitively are doing it wrong. The OP and other commenters in this very thread have basically said as much. I can't really speak for Brawl, but as someone who played Melee semi-seriously with friends for a while, it's a game with a fair bit of depth and dynamism. It may not have been intended as a competitive game, but I don't think intent is necessary for it to be enjoyed as one. If you enjoy a thing for a certain reason and a large contingent relish in claiming you're stupid for doing so, there's a good chance you might get a bit overdefensive about it.

I don't claim to speak for the Smash "community", nor am I defending them getting mad about the removal of wavedashing or otherwise acting entitled, but at the very least I can see why the lack of an option to turn of tripping annoyed some. Even within the very casual group I played with for a while in dorm (not very long -- for whatever reason it never really stuck), the tripping and lack of a simple option to disable it was a tangible annoyance. I mean, I don't think Mario Kart is an eSport, but if 1% of powerslides resulted in a wipeout, I wouldn't be happy about it.

The "my way or the highway" stuff sounds more like an issue of certain people you've interacted with having shitty social skills, or a fundamental mismatch between what they wanted and what you wanted. Either way, I don't think it's an indictment of competitive Smash players as a group.

I don't think that it's stupid to play Smash Bros. competitively, but I do think that the people that do need to keep in mind the perspective of the audience the game was made for. They need to realize that a lot of people, I would suspect the majority, just play the game for fun, don't care about the tournament scene, and have no interest in playing by those rules. When people question why they choose to play in a way that seems so inhibiting, the answer isn't to screech defensively. It should be enough to say that competitive rules evolved that encourage their style of play and that it's not for everyone. There are polite ways to go about it, and I have rarely witnessed that politeness from competitive Smash players.

You say that Melee has depth and dynamism, but how? When the competitive scene is predicated on the removal of content and the highest levels are dominated almost exclusively by Fox and Falco, where does that depth and that dynamism exist? That is something that no Smash player has ever been able to take the time to explain to me without hissing and backing away the moment I challenge their reasoning.

breenmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I go to a college filled with Smash enthusiasts, and I'm not allowed to play with the main group anymore due to my suggestion that I use items or play on Warioware, Inc or play R.O.B. So I'm not saying that the community isn't made worse by people who discriminate against them, but they're certainly already pretty damn exclusionary. I'm all for "playing your way" and shit, but if you can't even stand the thought of somebody becoming Warioman and motorcycling you off the stage, then I'm going to pass a bit of judgment.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanj said:
    Loading Video...

Fuck. Beat me to it.

seveword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The worst times I had playing SSB with other people was when they insisted on no items, limited lives, and Final Destination. The best times were when we turn items up to max, set the time to 5-8 minutes or so, and play on some dumb stage like the Game and Watch one. Running around as Warios farting on each other or facefucking with Diddy Kong is hilarious, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Smash Bros started out as a fun party game, and I hope it continues to be so. I want it to be big, bombastic, chaotic, and completely un-fucking-balanced. Give me hammers, bob-ombs, warp stars, explosions everywhere. Give me dumb characters like G&W or R.O.B. I'm gonna play as Bowser and Donkey Kong and Mario and whoever the fuck else. There's a billion other "competitive" games that aggressive, self-entitled, and loud assholes have tried to spoil everywhere else in the world of video games, and I'm glad that Sakurai seems to resist that as much as possible.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By damodar

So that community might be hostile etc, I wouldn't know, I don't play the game. The anecdotes in this thread do support them at least being exclusionary. But there is also quite a bit of hostility in this thread towards people that play competitive smash. With one side saying it's not a proper fighting game and the other telling them the way they play isn't fun, I can sort of see why they would be defensive/hostile/whatever.

I'll just put this out there though. Honing a skill or craft can be fun and rewarding. Trying to find depth beyond the chaos in a series like smash, regardless of Sakurai's intentions, might not make you a joyless asshole. If you watched a smash stream and were bored, that doesn't mean everyone else shares that view.

By the same token, enjoying the items or preferring Brawl over Melee doesn't make you wrong either, but I feel the need to play Devil's advocate, since there aren't as many voices defending competitive play in here. Obviously, way more people play Smash as a party game, so I don't see the need to be quite so protective of it that way. The thing is that the two schools of thought on Smash make it a COMPLETELY different game. There's not really anything else like it. Most fighting games don't have anything restricted etc for tournament play and the few that do, it's something small like not being allowed to use an overpowered secret boss character or something. If there are guys playing smash no items etc and you want to join in and enable everything, pick a crazy stage etc, and you end up being excluded, sure, that sucks. But at the same time, it'd basically be like if you walked in to a room of people playing Super Street Fighter II Turbo and said "Ooh, I want to play!" and then took that game out and put in Rainbow edition. Nobody is wrong for having whatever tastes, but it's not the game they were playing, so either way, people are going to end up unhappy. And that's a problem with Smash. I can play Street Fighter with people that aren't super in to it and we're all playing the same game. I sandbag, because it obviously wouldn't be satisfying for anybody if I played super competitively against people who don't play the game that way, but it's still the same game that I understand and there are still moments where I can apply those skills that I've tried to hone. Both parties can engage with the game in the way they want. I can still try to make reads or bait things or notice player tendencies or whatever while refraining from landing the biggest punishes on everything that I can etc. Smash does not facilitate that nearly as well because the game is so drastically different.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By pyrodactyl

@generic_username: well, I would say that the entire genre of fighting games is quite boring so I don't know if you should be quoting me to make a point.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By BradBrains

@animasta said:
    @schlorgan said:

Why is the community for [insert almost any game name here] so toxic?

to be fair sonic has a shitty ass fanbase but it's not because it's toxic necessarily.

we are a very welcoming community we just warn you what your getting into first. a lot of sacrifices on what you consider good.

also whats the fun of playing smash without a bunch of characters and items. boring.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I will say is that: all competitive game (Fighting Games, MOBAs, & Online FPS) communities will have some sort of toxicity towards newer players, unskilled players, and those who criticize their game of choice. It's a sad fact humanity harbors in the need to belong to an exclusive social group. *insert sad-face emoji of choice here*

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@truthtellah said:

I don't think anyone's saying that all of the SSB community are terrible. I wouldn't even say that of the League of Legends community. But the environment of a community can be "toxic". In other words, leaning toward being unpleasant over leaning toward being welcoming. Or, in the context of a discussion, toxic may mean that a subject leans toward inspiring troubled or bad conversation vs a subject that is more easily talked about

Oh I don't think anybody here in this conversation actually means it as the entire SSB fandom is toxic. I took OP's comments to be one of those things where people tend to take shortcuts with language which lead to potentially hurtful generalizations. I'm as guilty as anyone else of getting lazy with my language sometimes.

That being said I do run into people who do absolutely mean it in that context when they say "X community is toxic" etc. Usually tossed off as an excuse for poor play right before they permanently give up on a game. So I do believe there are people out there who honestly do think the entire SSB competitive scene is toxic etc.

And that would not be unusual behavior for people, we like to make shortcut judgments. It's fast, easy and decisive way to do things. It gets us into trouble a lot as it can lead to some really wrong conclusions or worse stereotypes. e.g, Yelp is full of super polarized reviews for restaurants based on 1-2 bad (or good) experiences that characterize an entire company's customer service as good or bad usually based off the actions of one employee one time. That's kinda crazy if you think about it, given how many customers a typical restaurant probably serves daily. But yeah there some people who do make sweeping character judgments of a population/group based off an extremely small sample set all the time.

@truthtellah said:

For example, I wouldn't consider Giant Bomb to be a toxic community, but I can acknowledge areas of the environment which are toxic to discussion. That's based on observed trends over time and aspects of those who make the majority of comments. Even the moderators appear to have singled in on "toxic" topics which are weaknesses within the larger community. Obviously, a lot of people won't contribute to something being problematic, but a big part of it has to do with who engages in the conversation. Who sets the tone of the environment. Most Giant Bomb members are cool folks, but what sets the tone of Giant Bomb is within those who regularly make threads, comment in threads, and the over-arching influence of the staff. So, even if most people are fine, there can be trends in the kinds of discussions and outcomes we actually have with those who are most active and most cultivate the environment around here.

Totally agree, you're absolutely right about that. The best forums I've participated in, always seem to have strong leadership, even if it's only leadership by example. It doesn't take many bad voices to make a place feel unwelcoming, especially if the bad voices are prolific posters.

@truthtellah said:

The same is true for the SSB community or practically any other. A lot of conduct is based on expectation and fitting in. So, if people observe that the norm is one way, there are more inclined to embrace that persona. It's like how you may act differently around different people. You may be more formal with a parent, more shy with a stranger, or more outgoing with a close friend. You may go to a club and be far more crude when hanging around more casual friends than if you were just having a nice dinner in a restaurant. People are people, but a large part of people is their environment and how they adapt to it.

If the SSB pro community appears relatively toxic to someone, that usually speaks to a larger, more pervasive issue of the environment they've cultivated than just a few folks. There are those who set tone and those who enable it, and they are all part of maintaining a community's strengths and weaknesses.

So in your opinion toxic atmospheres are more due to a leadership void than a critical mass of toxic people? Which then leads to a culture that's permissive of and encouraging to abusive behavior?

I could buy that if that's your argument. e.g. The StarCraft 2 competitive community seems like one of the more civil ones out there, perhaps that's because the Korean players set the tone in the right way. When you look at the pro gaming world, a lot of those players seem to carry themselves with a professionalism and sportsmanship that isn't as obvious in other game communities. That would be consistent to your what you are saying.

The angle I was coming from was one that was influenced by the reading I've been doing about creating and maintaining mixed income neighborhoods lately. There seems to be a common wisdom in urban planning that there is a "tipping point" in terms of % of low income residents where once exceeded middle and high income residents tend to flee the neighborhood at an alarming rate. Which starts a negative feedback cycle of lower property values, which becomes very difficult to stop once started. All of which puts tremendous stress on city services as well making it difficult for families to lift themselves out of poverty. This tipping point tends to vary from city to city as well over time. Tipping Point theory I've heard it called, More or less a variant of Thomas Schelling's work on the dynamics of how American neighborhoods become racially segregated over time.

I suppose both ideas could be consistent with each other though in terms of self selecting hobbyist communities like a gaming community. Maybe it might play out something like... Leadership void cultivates an abusive vocal small minority, whose presence once large enough initially drives out casuals, which increases the abusive vocal minority's share of the culture, which then drives more people, which further increases the abusive vocal minority's share etc., etc. etc.

If your idea is right (it certainly sounds very plausible to me), I think you answered the OP better than anyone else has so far.

@truthtellah said:

As for the SSB pro community's root cause for this, I imagine it's because they have had to put so much effort into getting anyone to take their preferred game seriously that they prickle a bit at newcomers who may not take it as seriously as they do. That's similar to a problem within the larger gamer community, where many gamers have had to try to defend and justify their favored hobby for years, and while that has helped protect and grow gaming, that same zeal is at times preventing some gamers from accepting any legitimate criticism of the hobby or community they have defended so passionately.

That is what I suspect as well. I'd have to imagine it's frustrating when you treat something like SSB as a craft to have the mainstream not only be totally be disinterested but also be dismissive of what you do. I've had friends practice really hard at fighting games etc, and were almost starved for social validation of what they accomplished. It almost seemed like when they play somebody who didn't take the game seriously, they found that to be especially demeaning to what they've accomplished. I'd imagine that might doubly frustrating for a competitive community like SSB's which is for a game that has a kid friendly and strong casual appeal.

I don't think that's a good attitude to have, but I can sympathize with their frustration.

I often wonder why you don't see this attitude the same way in other diversions like pickup sports (which when they are intimidating to new players are so in a different manner), my best guess is because American society as a whole values Athleticism far more. There are perceived valuable career paths in football, basketball etc, so you don't need to prove to a non player that what you are doing is respected if you are worried about what they think.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@haruko said:

Words hurt, Darth. Words hurt.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

@darthorange said:

@haruko said:

Words hurt, Darth. Words hurt.

:D

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Because SSB is for children.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like both ways of playing, but some people are assholes.

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itwongo: This 100% this its just for me everyone who has ever been a dick about smash has been a competitive player. Ipso facto competitive smash players are jerks in my experience.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Wait is this tournament scene? or just message boards comments?

I have a few friends who felt the need to comment on Samus' new high heels and then they just got harassed for even bringing it up. I wouldn't claim its the "smash community" who did that, I felt it was more the weird circle that is the internet itself. Every article on the new Smash game is generating interest, and it brings in all kinds of people to comment on it.

BluPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really sure, but all it takes is one asshole to shit in the pool and suddenly everyone there notices the floating turd.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really sure, but all it takes is one asshole to shit in the pool and suddenly everyone there notices the floating turd.

That's a beautiful analogy. It really paints a picture.

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

Has anyone here seen the fan-made documentary "The Smash Brothers"? I found it to be super interesting, and a really cool window in to the Smash competitive scene. I always thought all of the "Fox, No Items, Final Destination" rules were stupid, but this gave me a new degree of respect for that stuff.

Skies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe I've just got thin skin, but I think online gaming just needs to be treated with the same human decency as most in-person interactions. Don't gang up on someone because they are losing, don't ignore everything and everyone, and maybe take the time to say something positive. A hostile environment can be perceived or imagined so quickly and by such subtle actions. But with a little effort, both passionate seasoned players and new ones can be mature together. It may be a bit idealistic of me, but so long as sportsmanship is shown, players with varying skill sets can enjoy matches. Sad thing is, it seems most people on this board are probably the ones who are already making an effort to play nicely. What we need is some really good players that are so amazingly nice (and loud about it), to lead the way for the online environment! (I'm a pretty darn positive person, but I'm not great at smash, just passionate.. oh well.) So leaders, rise up!

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

" I've seen communities hate on others like fighting game players and their less than stellar views on women, the level of hatred thrown at new players in league of legends, and the general level of discourse on Xbox live are among the worst humanity has to offer"

I mean this with respect but I must play it straight here... if you think that is the worst humanity has to offer, then I really think you need to expand your knowledge on world history... and even what is out there currently all over the world. You really need to get some better perspective on that through some study. This may sound rude through the ambiguity of text but I mean it with all kindness and just trying to be helpful.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.