Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Bonus Stages

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

On the official Japanese Super Street Fighter 4 blog, Director Takashi Tsukamoto has told how bonus stages came to be included in Super SFIV, instead of its predecessor. Apparenty there was originally some talk about including the stages in the arcade version Street Fighter IV. However, back then it was unclear how much demand there would actually be for this, both amongst players and arcade operators. In the end the decision was to use the development time to generate good game balance, so they passed on the idea. The development staff also considered putting the bonus stages in the original home release of SFIV, but "various circumstances" kept it out. Producer Yoshinori Ono did of course give the go sign for Super. after realising it was something fans worldwide really wanted to see.

A few points from the blog:

Super's car and barrel stages are as you may already know new versions of older bonus stages found since Street Fighter 2. But there was initially a plan to include completely new stages also, including one which resembled a rhythm game. Taisaku Okada (Battle Director) recalled one idea which had Guile jumping between fighter planes in mid air : / 

After surveying all the development staff, the team was compelled to do the car and barrel stages. When asked about Street Fighter bonus stages, 10 out of 10 staffers surveyed mentioned the car destruction bonus stage. This was the first stage decided for inclusion.  

For the second stage, there were a number of opinions for such things as barrels and drum cans. Since they were making a second stage anyway, they decided that it should be something different from the car stage, leaving still objects like drum cans out of it. 

No Caption Provided
    Taisaku Okada reveals there was also a lot of consideration given to the make of the car. SFII's car was a sedan, SFIII's car was an RV Car. For Super SFIV, there was an idea of having a giant yellow truck like you'd see in a construction area, and even the idea of having a tank. However, because one of the game's themes was "returning to the basics," they decided to go with a classic sedan.

No Caption Provided
    The difficulty of the car stage is at the level of Street Fighter II, said Okada. It's harder than SFIII's stage. In SFIII, you could destroy the car by simply punching away at one side. Super mimics SFII, right down to having an order for destroying the car.

No Caption Provided
    On the barrel stage, Masahiro Taguchi (Technical Director) said that it's possible to simply duck and use punches to clear the stage. However, you'll end up with a very low score. Getting a high score will require that you use special moves and combos.    
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By StaticFalconar

You know how bad I'm going to feel  the first time when I don't get the rhythm of the barrels down and have a bonus stage kick my ass?

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Bigandtasty

I can see this being fun for nostalgia purposes but no real lasting value to this.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks

@StaticFalconar said:

" You know how bad I'm going to feel  the first time when I don't get the rhythm of the barrels down and have a bonus stage kick my ass? "

I think most will fall flat first time around. It's a shame they didn't include the yellow truck idea, I think that would have been awesome to see visually. I also rather like the idea of a rhythm type game, it could have worked to quicken up your reflexes before the next fight. I don't know about Guile jumping over jets though, that sounds completely crazy to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.