Every Fightstick has its time...

Posted by Zombieheadbutt (255 posts) -

My Madcatz SE Fightstick is finally succumbing to the faulty washer issues that occurred when the initial batch of  units first shipped. Go to this link if you want a very brief description of said issue. I actually had to return the first stick I bought because of this issue.  

So, instead of just opening it up and fixing the issue and hoping for the best I think I've decided that its time to go ahead and get those Sanwa parts everyone is so crazy about.  I think I've settled on Bat top stick this time around and keep the square gate, its grown on me.  Watching some of Lordofultima's youtube videos it seems like the process its pretty straight forward.  I wish I could get a plexiglas art cover but alas the SE's can't use them.   

The TE stick is still to expensive for me at the moment though but I really want to customize my stickI. Iwanna style my stick with some Dictator art with some red ringed grey buttons, etc.  No Kinkos in this area to print it out at and I'm not really interested pirating photoshop to use Capcom Unities schematic for the SE.  I'll find a way somehow I suppose.  How much have you modded your Fightstick?

#1 Posted by Zombieheadbutt (255 posts) -

My Madcatz SE Fightstick is finally succumbing to the faulty washer issues that occurred when the initial batch of  units first shipped. Go to this link if you want a very brief description of said issue. I actually had to return the first stick I bought because of this issue.  

So, instead of just opening it up and fixing the issue and hoping for the best I think I've decided that its time to go ahead and get those Sanwa parts everyone is so crazy about.  I think I've settled on Bat top stick this time around and keep the square gate, its grown on me.  Watching some of Lordofultima's youtube videos it seems like the process its pretty straight forward.  I wish I could get a plexiglas art cover but alas the SE's can't use them.   

The TE stick is still to expensive for me at the moment though but I really want to customize my stickI. Iwanna style my stick with some Dictator art with some red ringed grey buttons, etc.  No Kinkos in this area to print it out at and I'm not really interested pirating photoshop to use Capcom Unities schematic for the SE.  I'll find a way somehow I suppose.  How much have you modded your Fightstick?

#2 Posted by JokerSmilez (1293 posts) -

I haven't yet but when I can afford it I'm going with custom Balrog art, and new buttons and ball top (red ball top, 6 white buttons with black rims, and 2 all black buttons).

I'll post pictures eventually.

#3 Posted by The_A_Drain (3910 posts) -

Ahh that sucks dude. 

I'm thinking I might need to replace two of the buttons on my TE stick, dunno if it's cos I hit them too hard or whatever, but sometimes RT and LT stop working mid-game and unplugging the stick and plugging it back in solves the issue for a whole, but then they go again sometimes. 

Not sure what it is. Seems to work fine most of the time though.

#4 Posted by Patters666 (12 posts) -
#5 Posted by Mington (14 posts) -

I've got a  SE Fightstick, and took it apart to swap out the square gate for the hexagonal gate, modding aint as easy as they say. 1 hour later with and lots of  hacksawing and sandpapering,  i finally swapped them over.

now it makes a crunching clicking sound :P

and i think my H punch button is starting to go :( but its had 200+ hours abuse

#6 Posted by The_A_Drain (3910 posts) -
@Mington:  The SE stick wasn't set up to be easily moddable, modding it is further hindered by it's size (which afaik has issues with certain sticks, and won't fit certain buttons) 

Whereas the TE stick was hyped up for beign easily moddable.
#7 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@The_A_Drain: Besides art, there is nothing hard about modding a SE. I had new buttons/stick swapped into mine within 40 minutes. The hardest part is disconnecting the quick connects, those bastards are on really tight!
#8 Posted by theWarren (101 posts) -

So...is a Sanwa modded SE stick just as good in the quality department as a stock TE?  Is th real difference just the size and the stock buttons\stick they come with and the rest of the guts are the same? 

I'm thinking of buying a friend of mine's SE stick he's selling for $15 and then doing the Sanwa mod which will be something like another $35.  I'm a big guy with big hands though, so I was thinking of getting the TE, but for the price difference i could probably make due withe the modded SE. 

Any thoughts on this?

#9 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

Quality will be the exact same, go for it.

#10 Posted by UnderWing (30 posts) -

Adding Sanwa's to an SE stick is extremely easy, and turns it into an excellent stick (on par with the Hori RAP sticks, or the TE, if you don't mind the slightly smaller size). I built a custom stick that a friend borrowed, and subsequently broke (the case, not the parts); rather than build another (too busy), I got a good deal on an SE stick and swapped the parts in about 15 minutes. As long as you have a JLF with the right mounting bracket, and Snap-In's for buttons (OBSF-30's), you'll be good to go no problem.

As for Mington's problem, you can't just get an Oct gate and swap it in by default -- the stick in there is not a perfect replica of the Sanwa JLF series stick, just a close/cheap approximation. Unless you found someone who said they had an Oct gate that worked with this knock-off stick, it's no wonder you'd have trouble. 

As to the OP, I think you'll be really happy with genuine Sanwa's -- the activate on the buttons is super nice and responsive; it might take a week to get used to, but once you do your play will improve from the fact that you barely have to touch them. And the stick (if you're used to a Square gate) should feel infinitely better than the POS in the original. Over all, an SE with Sanwa's is one of the best sticks on the market for a budget player. It's what I recommend to all my friends. 

Feel free to message me if you have any questions (I love shop talk about fightsticks, if you can't tell :P).

#11 Edited by Zombieheadbutt (255 posts) -
So far it seems that Lizardlicks.com is the best place to go if you don't want to worry about currency conversion, etc.  Right now I'm saving up money to finish off my last 16 hours of college to get my BS degree so I can't spend to much but all of  the buttons combined wouldn't be more than $20.00.  The stick seems to be at $20.00 alone but seems like a good price considered whats included.  Anyone done what Lordofultima done and changed their spring to up resistance? ( Here are his youtube videos show his TE modes.)  I'm guessing ANY buttons will work as long as they have the snap-on's but I guess I'm gonna have to do more research into this before I commit because I don't want to end up with parts I can't use and I'm not enough of a handyman to mod the case further just to put in new parts.

Also, has anyone ever replaced their SE stick's art?  How much did the Lami-Label cost?  The awesome custom dust-washers over at Tek-innovations are sweet, definitely want to get a black one with Bison's body etched into the corner.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.