Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Evolution of Street Fighter 4

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

What do you guys think about how far SF4 has come since the original game was released.  i mean the game has really changed in a lot of meaningful ways in the last three years.  From the expanded roster to the damage balances SSF4AE from a gameplay standpoint is radically different from the days of vanilla.  Personally I preferred the more balanced style of supper to the rushdown heavy AE, though I do appreciate that AE made Hakan a real character instead of an absolute joke.  Really, I think AE would be the best version if the twins were not so dominant.  Hopefully there will be one more balance patch and the game will be complete.  Which game did you enjoy the most from a balance/ playstyle perspective?

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

AE because I can play Chinest Hat Boy and his bro Trowa Barton like 3rd Strike.

Sacerdos87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Sacerdos87

I enjoy AE, it nerfed projectiles and the shotos importantly. For far too long they were pretty powerful characters. They still are just not to the extent where you have Ryu and Sagat blasting you to death every game, the damage was a bit much in Super and Vanilla, especially Sagat's. No more shoto-coptering all over the level from them anymore either.

That patch that capcom has in the works I hope addresses Yang's bug where he has a few frames of invincibility when he gets up from a knock down. Its normal for all the characters to be for a bit but his goes for even longer, there was a video on Shoryuken.com showing this, but I haven't seen any kind of response about it from capcom.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Red fire son! Eff your purple and green fire!!

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By AndrewJD
    @Sacerdos87 said:
     "No more shoto-coptering all over the level from them anymore either."
    Yeah, that's a change I certainly welcomed. Overall I think it has changed a lot from Vanilla; shotos are no longer the top dogs, more rushdown characters etc. That's fine by me as I didn't really play shotos anyway, but I do think they've gone a little too far.

For example the 3rd strike characters. From what I've played and watched of AE only Yun, Yang and Makoto seem to be overpowered but when I play against any 3rd strike character it's like I'm playing a totally different game.
    ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By ricetopher

I liked the damage output of Vanilla, but I was able to compromise with the (almost) universal damage nerfs going into Super because the balance is easily the best of the three.

I have nothing good to say about AE, and I hope that if Capcom touches the game again they just do it ST style and let you pick which version of the character to play (in this case Super or AE).

ckeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ckeats

@ThePhantomnaut said:

AE because I can play Chinest Hat Boy and his bro Trowa Barton like 3rd Strike.

Good god, I've been trying to figure out who he looked like for the longest time and it just clicked.

Also, my favorite version was the 3ds version of super, I really like the circle pad, as I don;t have a fight stick. Picked up AE earlier the week so trying to get adjusted to that. Been playing a ton of Volt on iphone too, because it's in my pocket all the time.

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By VicRattlehead

i prefer Super, pretty much the entire cast is viable

i dislike AE quite a bit, always feel like the character is beating everyone and not me when i use Yun

ive been playing a bit of SF4 on PC for a laugh and yeh the damage in that game is fucking insane, its nice not having 60% of your life taken of from a mashed DP when you play Super

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

I can really appreciate the across the board nerfing of DP damage that has taken place over the iterations , but I think the real problem was making a two characters with  DPs, fast dive kicks, and command grabs.  I mean seth is a pain to play against but he is so fragile and his dive kick is no where near as good as the twins.  I think that has Capcom shortened the command grab range and slowed down the dive kicks of the twins then most of AE's problems are solved.  Though Fei would still be good, I don't think he is anywhere near as mindless as the twins.

Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lilbigsupermario

It was fun the first time it came out, it was fun when it became Super and it's still fun when it evolved to Arcade Edition. ;)

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FLStyle

@Sacerdos87: Sagat is a lot stronger in AE than Super, certainly not Vanilla levels but Sagat is definitely a buffed character. So I can't see where you're coming from with that.

Super was the most balanced, AE nerfed too much and buffed too few, if Yun and Yang were introduced as they are in Super, there wouldn't be such an uproar as there is now.

Sacerdos87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sacerdos87
    @FLStyle: All projectiles got nerfed, Sagat got a nerf cause of that. I wasn't even on the subject of what buffs he got just that fireballs don't hurt as much.

Yun and Yang aren't that bad. Problem is people haven't realized the flaws in their fighting styles cause they get frustrated over their attacks. Biggest complaint I see is people bitching about palms, palms has projectile properties, Zangief can bitch slap them with green hand when they try to build meter, I haven't tried it but I bet EX fireball could go through and hit. 

Super was the most boring version of the game because any character with projectiles and charge attacks are the only viable offensive characters. Ultra II's for strong melee characters like Zangief and T.Hawk, which was shitty cause those ultras would have balanced out those characters match ups if the damage output wasn't so awful with its execute and pray, Zangief's being the worse.

I'm glad with the changes AE made. It gives characters that never really had opportunities to achieve their potential. Fortunately we don't really need to argue about this though cause you can switch between Super and AE at any time to find players, so really we could argue what version was best but I've already left my 2 cents on AE and have nothing further to discuss.
    FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FLStyle

@Sacerdos87: Ahhh I see, thanks.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By JJOR64

For the most part, I like AE.  Really hope this "2012" version becomes a reality.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#15  Edited By Hailinel

@JJOR64 said:

For the most part, I like AE. Really hope this "2012" version becomes a reality.

2012 version? You mean there's a rumored Super Street Fighter IV Turbo (or whatever the hell they'd call it)?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JJOR64
    @Hailinel said:

@JJOR64 said:

For the most part, I like AE. Really hope this "2012" version becomes a reality.

2012 version? You mean there's a rumored Super Street Fighter IV Turbo (or whatever the hell they'd call it)?

Ono was talking/trolling/whatever you want to call it on Twitter saying he would make a "2012" version if he could.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By scarace360

i liked Super fuerte more than AE fuerte but still i like the way its gone. Still miss parries. Dont like that since AE came out on consoles not as many people are in the arcades playing it but what ever.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JJOR64
    @scarace360 said:
    Dont like that since AE came out on consoles not as many people are in the arcades playing it but what ever.
    There was no way AE would survive if it didn't come to consoles.  It was the right move on Capcom's end.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By scarace360
    @JJOR64 said:
    @scarace360 said:
    Dont like that since AE came out on consoles not as many people are in the arcades playing it but what ever.
    There was no way AE would survive if it didn't come to consoles.  It was the right move on Capcom's end.
    Ya but still i liked it when everyone was always at the arcade. Kinda felt like the old days.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JJOR64
    @scarace360 said:
    @JJOR64 said:
    @scarace360 said:
    Ya but still i liked it when everyone was always at the arcade. Kinda felt like the old days.
    Yeah.  Well, I guess I didn't grow up in the arcades.  Never had anything really good where I live.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By scarace360
    @JJOR64 said:
    @scarace360 said:
    @JJOR64 said:
    @scarace360 said:
    Yeah.  Well, I guess I didn't grow up in the arcades.  Never had anything really good where I live.
    When i started going to the arcades it was around the end of the golden age. By that i mean everyone was playing 3s and mvc2 and GG
    thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff
    @Sacerdos87: I think people get pissed about the twins because their pressure games are so safe.  Their block strings and dive kicks are plus on block which then sets up their command throw.  They are not unbeatable but I have faced some highly ranked yun and yang players and they have no defense, it is a constant barrage of attacks that leave little room for retaliation.  The twins are an assemblage of all of the good rushdown tools in SSF4 and that is what pisses people off.
    Sacerdos87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sacerdos87
    @thatpinguino: Not only that but Yang has a few frames of invincibility more so than any other character in the game right now when he gets up from knock down. 

I discovered this in a match awhile back when I try to use my zangief and close the distance with green hand into spinning pile driver. Usually once they get up and even try to move back the grab connects cause of its new range in AE, but not Yang. I watched my grab go right through Yang as he stood there in his stance, it was even posted on Shoryuken.com later on, Capcom needs to patch that bastard.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.