Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Fightstick

PopUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PopUp

Hey guys I'm new to fighting games but am looking to get into SSFIV and play at a high level. I have a 360 and just want to know what fightstick/controllers are worth it. I'm looking at the Mad Catz fightpads or the Hori EX 2 (I think that's the name). Just want to know what you guys recommend.

J_Las_Vegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By J_Las_Vegas

I've had a Mad Catz TE for a while now and would recommend it 100%.  You can get them pretty cheap if you shop around.  I can't imagine using a pad again.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Pessh

The 360 controller is pretty ass so I'd have a look at a fightpad. Try a fightstick first if you're thinking about it, they don't make you a better player. Some of the best players in the world use pad, absolutely nothing wrong with them. The best thing to play on is whatever you're most comfortable with.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jack268

Stick isn't necessary for high level play, look at WolfKrone who plays one of the most execution heavy characters in the game at a near perfect level. 

But if you must/really want to buy a stick you should buy a MadCatz TE. You can get it for $100 most of the time, and the stuff inside it is godlike compared to the SE and most other manufacturer's sticks. I don't have much experience with Hori myself, but I believe the general consensus is that the TE is what you should buy.
    Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Renahzor

The Hori EX2 is no good, you'll be wanting to replace it in under a month.  A cheap madcatz SE stick is way better and the TE is much much better than either option.  

Fightpads are ok, because they give you 6 normal face buttons and a semi decent pad to use instead of the shitty xbox D-Pad.  

None of these are necessary, though Street Fighter in particular does compliment a stick very well, to me it made some of the more complex controls easier (after a steep learning curve).  Yes you CAN do the stuff on a pad, some players are just better with it.  I've used a stick since SF4 launched in one form or another, thats what I'm better with.  

If theres a local scene ask to try someone's fightstick for a little while, keep in mind you wont be used to it but it can give you an idea if its something you want to learn.
    lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By lord_canti

avoid  the hori ex 2. its been my stick for a while the buttons became  more and more stiff ontill the day that my cable broke rendering it useless. now im back to using a pad and down to the level of a scrub

FongGhoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By FongGhoul

I have an SE modded with Sanwya parts and a MadCatz fightpad. Fightpad was OK, but now that I'm used to the stick I can't imagine going back. It might be because I prefer charge characters like Balrog. I find it hard to go from down/back to forward or down/forward consistently on a pad - sometimes a dash straight comes out, sometimes dash low. It's always consistent for me with a stick. I'm probably just not used to it though, since I didn't use a pad that much before switching. I know some people prefer them (though a minority) but I'm not one of those people. I like having both - if someone's over and wants to play I can at least give them something better than a 360 pad.

If I could do it again I would have just bought a TE, especially at today's prices. If you really plan to stick with it I'd definitely invest in a TE - well worth the money if you keep up with it.
    Giacomito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Giacomito

it all depends on your budget and personality.

Do you have experience with a fight stick? if so, don't even think about it, TE is the way to go, or if you can't get a hold of one, go for the Hori real Arcade pro I have both and like them both.

If you dont have experience, be aware that just because you own a fight-stick, that doesn't mean you will be better. In fact, you will probably suck at first because using a fight stick has quite a learning curve.
    I started playing with fight sticks after a trip to japan (only played at arcades so was forced to learn) and at first I suuuucked, took me a couple of months of grinding to get comfortable.
    Now ( alsmot 2 years later) I'm at the point where I can't use a pad at all
    But yeah, If you KNOW that you are willing to put in the work to get good with a stick, then go for the TE or Hori real arcade pro.
    because if you buy a cheap one, and get better, you WILL want to upgrade and then you will have wasted the money you spent on the cheap stick.
    However, if you buy the TE and realize you dont like using a stick, you wasted more money.
    So it comes down to your determination and experiences really.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By StaticFalconar

While many people likes and prefers a stick, its totally not an absolute must. 
    TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By TechHits
    @PopUp
    @Pessh said:
    "Try a fightstick first if you're thinking about it, they don't make you a better player. Some of the best players in the world use pad, absolutely nothing wrong with them. The best thing to play on is whatever you're most comfortable with. "
    this is great advice, if you don't know some one with a fightstick go to an arcade and play afew games, it will get you a feel for what they are all about.
    FongGhoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By FongGhoul

Holy shit - that dude is amazing. Great advice for anybody and such a solid outlook. I don't know how the hell he does that - even with the macros he's set up (which would actually be a disadvantage to a player with full use of his hands).

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MeierTheRed

I have both the SFIV TE stick and the Hori stick. And compared the Hori stick is crap.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MideonNViscera

If you're new to fighters just get a Fightpad. Don't blow the cash on a stick for a genre you may end up being frustrated with. I've been playing Street Fighter since I was 8 and only bought a stick last month haha

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.