Hakan Chop!

• 124 results
Posted by Jeff (3418 posts) -

March 9, 2010: we'll remember it as the day that Capcom finally confirmed the last thing on that huge leaked list of features and characters appearing in Super Street Fighter IV. The last major thing is Hakan, another all-new character who joins Juri, the other brand new fighter in SSFIV. He's... kind of cool.

OK, so the back story is that he runs a cooking oil company, and he's traveling the world in search of the world's greatest oil recipe. It's not exactly "traveling the world to dragon punch waterfalls and not talk much," but it's certainly not the oddest background in Street Fighter's history.

The oil thing plays into just about everything that Hakan does, and by doing a dragon punch motion with kick, Hakan will start happily spilling oil all over himself, giving him a much brighter--and somewhat more disturbing--shine. When he's shiny, he takes less damage and some of the moves change properties a bit. It really seems like he gets more range when he's all slicked up. The oil doesn't last forever, so it'll need to be reapplied during the match, which obviously leaves him open to attack.

Hakan also has a stomach slide, done via a fireball motion with punch. This low slide bowls over standing opponents, and if you hit punch as the slide is connecting, he'll slide back the other way for a second hit. His other two specials are 360-motion throws. Performing it with punch is a close-range grab that squirts the victim out of his arms. A 360 with kick performs a lunging grab.

Like everyone, Hakan's got two ultras, the Oil Coaster and the Oil Combination Hold. I'm not even going to waste your time by having you read about these. Just watch the trailer here to get a sense for what these do.

Weird, right? He's sort of a weird dude, this Hakan. But like Juri, he feels like a cool addition to the roster. At this point, it's great to just have all of this stuff out in the open instead of dealing with shadowy rumors and message board leaks. With this out of the way, it should be smooth sailing from here to the game's April 27 release.    
Staff
#1 Posted by Jeff (3418 posts) -

March 9, 2010: we'll remember it as the day that Capcom finally confirmed the last thing on that huge leaked list of features and characters appearing in Super Street Fighter IV. The last major thing is Hakan, another all-new character who joins Juri, the other brand new fighter in SSFIV. He's... kind of cool.

OK, so the back story is that he runs a cooking oil company, and he's traveling the world in search of the world's greatest oil recipe. It's not exactly "traveling the world to dragon punch waterfalls and not talk much," but it's certainly not the oddest background in Street Fighter's history.

The oil thing plays into just about everything that Hakan does, and by doing a dragon punch motion with kick, Hakan will start happily spilling oil all over himself, giving him a much brighter--and somewhat more disturbing--shine. When he's shiny, he takes less damage and some of the moves change properties a bit. It really seems like he gets more range when he's all slicked up. The oil doesn't last forever, so it'll need to be reapplied during the match, which obviously leaves him open to attack.

Hakan also has a stomach slide, done via a fireball motion with punch. This low slide bowls over standing opponents, and if you hit punch as the slide is connecting, he'll slide back the other way for a second hit. His other two specials are 360-motion throws. Performing it with punch is a close-range grab that squirts the victim out of his arms. A 360 with kick performs a lunging grab.

Like everyone, Hakan's got two ultras, the Oil Coaster and the Oil Combination Hold. I'm not even going to waste your time by having you read about these. Just watch the trailer here to get a sense for what these do.

Weird, right? He's sort of a weird dude, this Hakan. But like Juri, he feels like a cool addition to the roster. At this point, it's great to just have all of this stuff out in the open instead of dealing with shadowy rumors and message board leaks. With this out of the way, it should be smooth sailing from here to the game's April 27 release.    
Staff
#2 Posted by heatDrive88 (2268 posts) -

Well... he's a unique character to say the least.
#3 Posted by kist (195 posts) -

this has left me speechless

#4 Posted by Wes899 (2107 posts) -

My new main.

#5 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

The last thing I'd want to hear when an oily dude like that is on top of me is "Here I come!"  Of course, I don't know why an oily dude would be on top of me in the first place.

#6 Posted by MCXCI (140 posts) -

What's with the old video player? Oh and yeah this guy looks hilarious. Capcom is making a good case for picking up SSF4 after the original.

#7 Edited by Belonpopo (1823 posts) -

Finally, he looks like a pain in the ass.

#8 Posted by PJ (1143 posts) -

Why does it look like Hokan to me in the video? And speaking of the video, Why is it the old player?

#9 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

That motor boatin' sonofabitch looks like he smells.

#10 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Wes899 said:
" My new main. "
This.
#11 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@PJ said:
" Why does it look like Hokan to me in the video? And speaking of the video, Why is it the old player? "
The old player is what is posted when a GB video is embedded into the forums.
#12 Posted by Icil (727 posts) -

Man, he's cool.

Like all the interesting characters, he must be low tier =(

#13 Posted by jhubz (54 posts) -

I've always wanted to play as a strange, super horny, sweaty version of Satan.

#14 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -
Super weird.
#15 Posted by TheYear20XX (425 posts) -

This dude straight owns.

#16 Posted by Milkman (16531 posts) -

Gross.

But awesome!

#17 Posted by darkjester74 (1571 posts) -

Dude, what?

Also, I wonder how many people got Jeff's "Hakan CHOP!" reference.

#18 Posted by Xeiphyer (5596 posts) -

Not looking forward to fighting this char =/ My viper wont stand a chance!

#19 Posted by Luke (1609 posts) -

I love my daughters! They are so pretty!
#20 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

Pretty crazy. That kinda stuff weirds me out a little bit, but its placement is funny enough that I'll give it a chance.

#21 Posted by JJOR64 (18910 posts) -
@Luke said:
"

I love my daughters! They are so pretty!
"
Is it me or do those girls look like Toads from the Mario universe?
#22 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1110 posts) -
@Luke: You stole that from me! lol
#23 Edited by lordofultima (6208 posts) -

I'm warming up to Hakan, from the video, at some point he starts slipping when attempting to command grab or something. That could be a detrimental effect of the oiling up. Very interesting playstyle, and one of the best AA ultras ever? Color me intrigued. Design is still completely hilarious, though.

#24 Posted by Luke (1609 posts) -
@JJOR64:  Lol, that was what I was thinking too!  

@SpecialBuddy: Lol, the phrase yes... the picture is pure me, which I got from jgonzo @ Capcom :p 
#25 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6089 posts) -

So they took Will Farrell's character from Ladies' Man and made him into a Street Fighter character?
#26 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

Ken's fierce shoryuken will have him in flames.

#27 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

YES! YES! YES!

PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE  say this means the return of the old GOOD player.
No framerate issues whatsoever.

#28 Posted by mubress (1517 posts) -
@Wes899 said:
" My new main. "
Nooooo. What's the betting that on the first day of release there's going to be a lot of oil about. I say just the first day as people are sure to get bored of squirting people through their legs (right?)
#29 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@mubress said:
" @Wes899 said:
" My new main. "
I say just the first day as people are sure to get bored of squirting people through their legs (right?) "
No.
#30 Posted by oddjob (110 posts) -

if this was said already, my apologies, but he looks like he should be on Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo 

#31 Edited by Max_Hydrogen (818 posts) -

Capcom's just getting stupid...

Who the hell came up with this? I could come up with better characters than this.

#32 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -
@kist said:
"this has left me speechless"

Speechless...?! 
I laughed my ass off!
#33 Posted by JackSukeru (5904 posts) -

I love that while all the other characters look freaked out or at least mildly uncomfortable while being oiled by Hakan, Deejaay just looks stoked. Still in development I guess.

#34 Posted by neist (1 posts) -

If the title to this story came from the Looney Toons, you're my friend forever. 

It's actually the first thing that popped into my mind when I heard his name. :)
#35 Edited by Brackynews (4045 posts) -

Down+Down-Forward+Forward+Squirt

Ha-gooooo-ken.

#36 Posted by Phantom_Gardener (64 posts) -

lol awesome character, epic video

#37 Posted by Ratfoot (199 posts) -

Is there any reason why he's red?

#38 Posted by Fei (218 posts) -

This is the best thing ever. I am immediately buying this game when it comes out. Never played SF4 but this is.... epic!

#39 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4578 posts) -

So is he supposed to be, like, one of those Turkish wrestling dudes? Like in 'Topkapi'? That's definitely an interesting addition, and I don't even care about SF that much.

#40 Posted by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

I really like him. The fluidity in the animation, the overt styling, and the nature of his move-set, all look great. Possibly the last character before we see a Darkstalkers model of Lei Lei in a Capcom teaser, I wish, This character gives me a lot of hope and optimism for that game.

#41 Posted by destruktive (1069 posts) -

huh. ok.

I got nothing else :P

#42 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1698 posts) -

O kay

#43 Posted by REDRUN (1410 posts) -

SOLD!

#44 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3175 posts) -

He looks fucking amazing. If I don't like Cody, I'll put him into my 3rd slot. So far, Dudley and Juri are what I'm looking into. 

#45 Posted by Halberdierv2 (1867 posts) -

I LOVE MY DAUGHTERS! THEY ARE SO PRETTY! lolwut!?

#46 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

I will reiterate how awesome I think this dude looks. 
He looks awesome.

#47 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
" I really like him. The fluidity in the animation, the overt styling, and the nature of his move-set, all look great. Possibly the last character before we see a Darkstalkers model of Lei Lei in a Capcom teaser, I wish, This character gives me a lot of hope and optimism for that game. "
a darkstalkers game with this engine would be amazing... im 30 years old, very old school... but i honestly wouldnt trade the SF4 engine for any 2d one now, even hd 2d. Im completely in love with the look of sf4/ssf4, the expressions, animations, everything.
#48 Posted by SnakeEyes327 (334 posts) -
@Max_Hydrogen:  

You probably couldn't. I've yet to see a turkish oil wrestler in any fighting game, this is actually pretty cool and he looks like he's got a pretty unique set of moves.
#49 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

It's nice to know they held onto this fuckface of a character for so long. Because waiting for three months was totally worth it.

#50 Posted by reddwarf42 (28 posts) -

Wait. What?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.