How do I get better at doing links?

#1 Posted by Heartbreak (288 posts) -

Practice is the obvious answer, but that requires correct technique.
I've been playing Dudley and I cannot get c.lp, c.lp, s.HK down consistently and I want to know if there are any techniques to getting it down everytime like those 15000+ BP pros.

I am using a Madcatz fightpad by the way, and I don't really want to switch to stick.

#2 Edited by gosukiller (2324 posts) -
@Heartbreak said:

" Practice is the obvious answer, but that requires correct technique. I've been playing Dudley and I cannot get c.lp, c.lp, s.HK down consistently and I want to know if there are any techniques to getting it down everytime like those 15000+ BP pros.  I am using a Madcatz fightpad by the way, and I don't really want to switch to stick. "

As a reflex I'd say go stick, but knowing that there are pad players who get out godlike links like anyone else, I'd say research the Dudley forum on SRK. 

Every link has it's own timing, but I've found that I can get cr.mp cr.mp cr.hk out with Ryu by Plinking (pressing both lp and mp for the crouching mediums, pressing both mk and hk for the sweep). Plinking makes alot of hard links way easier.

Also, I think these questions don't warrant a new thread and could be moved here.
#3 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

mash w/ turbo all the pros are doing it

#4 Posted by lordofultima (6208 posts) -

There's no way to answer this, just practice it.

#5 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Practice and listen to everything lordofultima says he knows what hes talking about.

#6 Posted by ricetopher (1046 posts) -

PRACTICE
#7 Posted by Sarkhan (1196 posts) -

Practice, practice and practice. It's dull and slow. But let me tell you, when you start getting into the rythme and you controll the link? It's so awsome. So listen to gosukiller and lordofultima then get going.
#8 Posted by Renahzor (991 posts) -

Practice a ton.  Never play on XBL.  The 2 easiest ways to perfect links.  

I can hit the 4 or 5 link combos I do about 95% of the time offline, and maybe 50/50 online.  lag and timing changes make things more difficult than they need to be.  Sit in training mode every night for like 2 weeks just knocking out that link, you'll have it down.  Then go on XBL, try it, and eat the mashed SRK's since that's what all the pros do.  I also suggest finding a combo you can swap to without link timing for use when online, so you don't eat said SRKs and want to punch a kitten. 

#9 Posted by gosukiller (2324 posts) -
@Renahzor said:
" Practice a ton.  Never play on XBL.  The 2 easiest ways to perfect links.     I can hit the 4 or 5 link combos I do about 95% of the time offline, and maybe 50/50 online.  lag and timing changes make things more difficult than they need to be.  Sit in training mode every night for like 2 weeks just knocking out that link, you'll have it down.  Then go on XBL, try it, and eat the mashed SRK's since that's what all the pros do.  I also suggest finding a combo you can swap to without link timing for use when online, so you don't eat said SRKs and want to punch a kitten.  "
What?

Those kittens had it coming!
#10 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

The long and short answer is practice and to also change how you practice a combo too. Some people can do combos way easier if they break them up in their mind into sections. Some people find it easier to learn all of the combo at once. For instance some people like to chain the beggining normal moves in a combo and just focus their energy on getting the tough link while others like to link every part of the combo so they can remember the combo as a specific rythem so they can remember it easier. Do whatever works for you and sometimes you'll use different styles for different combos.

Also remember that if you're playing on an ass connection online or fighting someone cross-continental then you've got to throw all that shit out the window and just jump in sweep all day because if it's laggy nothing is punishable and you or your opponent can do what they want.

#11 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@Heartbreak: Metronomes are damn useful, or find a song with a consistent beat.
#12 Posted by RichardLOlson (1852 posts) -

Practice

#13 Posted by RTSD (3 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" There's no way to answer this, just practice it. "
Don't believe this person, I am your emissary angel from SRK here and I have come to teach you the things you need to understand!

First, as posted earlier, execution in street fighter games has always been easier on stick but if you are determined to use a pad there are a lot of options at your disposal even on pad, thanks to the rediculous execution shortcuts found within Street Fighter 4.
To your requested link specifically, you have stated that you are have difficulty with "cr. lp, cr.lp, st.hk" first you nead to understand how to properly perform these techniques and why exactly they are working.
first understand the move you ware working with, Dudleys cr. lp is a 3 frame jab (2 frames to come out, 3rd frame is the active hitting frame) and it is +5 on hit, which essentially means if you were too hit with one cr. jab, you would have 5 frames of advantage for the 2nd to connect, since jab hits on the 3rd frame, this gives you quite a bit of leniency to link the second jab. In fact you have a 3 frame window, if you pressed the second jab on the first frame after the first jab finished you would hit on the 3rd frame of the 5 frame opening, if you pressed jab on the second possible frame you will hit on the 4th, and subsequently pressed 3 frames after the first jabs recover you will hit on the last open frame, the 5th.

Now it is not actually necessary to link dudleys crouching jab at all, if you crouch and press jab then press he second jab during the recovery animation of the first it will chain into the second jab because Dudleys crouching jab is a chain-able move. this will still result in a + 5 frame advantage after the second jab. This is important 

Becausssssse: Dudley's st. hk has a 4 frame startup, meaning it animates from frame 1-3 and hits on the 4th. So from a crouch jab with +5 to a 4 frame startup you essentailly have what's called a 2 frame link, where you must press s. hk somehow on the first or second available frame after the recovery of the second cr. jab. 
There are several ways of doing this, but for pad there really is only one consistent way which is P-linking. P- linking is essentially a SF4 glitch that allows normal moves to have multiple inputs like a negative edge without double or triple tapping which is very difficult. 
It basically means when you press an attack button of a certain priority you can press other buttons of less priority at nearly the same time any you will get only inputs for the highest priority attack. the best way to to this for you on pad would be to press your hk slightly early and at the same time press your 3 x K trigger, this will give you 2 inputs for your hk as long as the pressing of hk to 3xk was done almost simultainiously, but with the original hk slighly ahead. 

Also If you turn off taunts you can roll your thumb up from hk to hp and press 3xk in succession and gain 3 inputs for hk. 

Also practice the links independantly from the rest of the combo, so learn cr jab x2 link hk, then learn like hk xx EX MCB, ducking upper/straight +SRK

Then finally work on putting the 2 together at the hardest part that you find. 

Hope that helps.
#14 Posted by StarvingGamer (7997 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.