Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

I want to learn another character, need some suggestions.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RE_Player1

Hey guys I'm trying to get into Street Fighter 4 and so far it's been going pretty good. Been playing arcade mode and beating it and when I go online I usually lose 4/5 times but I learn from my mistakes and when I do win I know I did it because I did a specific thing better, like throwing more or timing my ultras perfectly. Anyway currently I play Ken, he's ok I mainly like his speed, and Blanka, wanted to know a charge character so I picked him. I've noticed I don't like slow characters but I don't know who to pick up next. Any suggestions?

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By KarlPilkington

Scorpion.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By benpack

I'm in the same boat. I play Zangief, hit 5k BP and then managed to lose about 500 of it in less than a month. I started trying Dudley, but learning an entirely different character is rough.

Try Fei Long.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Aetheldod
    @RE_Player92:  Guile ... he is very powerful and lends himself to the counterattacking style of gameplay , let the enemy come to you ...hehehe poor bastards
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By toowalrus

I play M. Bison, he's a ton of fun. I only win around 40-50% of my matches, so I'm not fantastic or anything, but he's my favorite.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

I use Akuma, I lose like everytime but sometimes...  

Die 1000 deaths!
    sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sameeeeam

I feel Juri is a fun starting character.

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By AURON570

First thing, stop playing in Arcade mode, or atleast don't take it seriously as a measure of how good you are. Secondly, I think it's an important thing to remember in a match, that you don't necessarily have to deplete your enemy's life bar to win. All you have to do is have more life than your opponent when the round is over. It took me a while to realize this, but if you think about it this way it can help you be more patient and focus on punishing your opponent, instead of just going in guns blazing. 

About what character you should try. Just play around with characters. Learn their combos, their normals, spend time in training mode, when you're comfortable take it online, go back into training.. etc. It also helps to go to online forums like SRK.com they usually have decent guides listing out BnB combos, links and stuff. Do this with a bunch of different characters and find what you like best. It can take quite a long time, so it may be better not to worry so much about what your "main" is and just have fun experimenting and playing.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By TobbRobb

Ryu, Ken or Sagat are probably the easiest to learn "and master", but I find Chun-Li or C. Viper to be very good choices as well when you are used to how the game is played. They are both quite fast too, though low on health and damage. If you have the money and the patience I'd recommend learning to play with an arcade stick too, the precision compared to a default 360 controller is fantastic, though it takes a bit of getting used too.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By MysteriousBob

Hakan. He's top tier you know.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Example1013

Gouken, Ryu, and Akuma are all fairly simple transitions from Ken. Really, though, you should at least know a few moves for a variety of characters (I wouldn't worry too much about, like, Chun-Li or M. Bison, though, as you'd probably never use them). 

Ryu and Akuma are also good to learn because Ryu is already confirmed for MvC3, and while I don't think Akuma's been announced, I also don't think Capcom would dare leave him out. He'll probably be unlockable, if they don't straight-up announce him. I'm not sure if Ken will be included, though.

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By sfighter21
    @Aetheldod said:
    " @RE_Player92:  Guile ... he is very powerful and lends himself to the counterattacking style of gameplay , let the enemy come to you ...hehehe poor bastards "
    That doesn't work against good people.  I gain meter faster than Guile (Rose, of course) so I play this match VERY patiently.  One of the more boring match-ups (next to Gief and Hawk).  But yeah, he could try Guile out, seeing as how he's at the top...
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By scarace360

The way you play you should really play adon and start blocking low.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#14  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I main Vega. Despite my temptation to tell you to play him, you probably shouldn't play Vega if you are still getting your grip on the game. Akuma is probably my secondary and a pretty natural transition from Ken, still being a Shoto but having a lot more offensive tools at his disposal. Of course, Akuma is also made of glass and is only second to Seth in terms of dying fast if you screw up. I also really like Bison, so you could try him out.

Bravestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bravestar
    @cookiesforbreakfast said:
    " You should just jump back into training mode and spend a few minutes with every character. It's that easy. "
    Yeah, do that. Try everyone, see if you like their moves and if they are fun to play for you.
    That's how I ended up with Juri(who I totally ignored before getting the game). She has a bunch of bad match-ups and other disadvantages, but I just like to play her.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By JJOR64

Like fast characters?  Try Chun or Akuma.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CL60

I play Dhalsim. He's kinda hard to play well, but it's hilarious when people rage because they can't even get close to you.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Scooper

Cammy?

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AURON570
    @dudeglove:  The point was to think about the game in a different way. Many players sometimes think that they will just go all out, overwhelm their opponent and deplete their life as soon as possible. You cannot win the round if you are dead. So with that in mind it's definitely a lot smarter sometimes to sit back, wait for your opponent do something and then punish it. 

It may not be clear what the difference between "turtling", "being lame" or "playing defensively" is, but in the end it is always clear who wins the round (of course except for the rare draw). With that in mind, when playing to beat your opponent, you want to use everything about the game to your advantage. If you don't, and ignore a certain strategy or tactic, then you can bet your opponent might use it to his advantage and outplay you. You can go ahead and call it a "lame tactic" or whatever you want, but you and your opponent are both playing the same game, and it's clear in a match who wins and who loses.
    taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By taccyp

Believe it or not Ryu is faster than ken.

If you really like speed, play akuma, bison, cammy, or any of the other characters with really fast walking speeds.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

I was gonna say Gouken but he slow.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TaccyP said:
    " Believe it or not Ryu is faster than ken."
    Yup, and it's fucking retarded.
    taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By taccyp
    @GetEveryone said:
    " @TaccyP said:
    " Believe it or not Ryu is faster than ken."
    Yup, and it's fucking retarded. "
    Yeah, it totally should be the other way around.
    Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sarkhan

Chun and C. viper. Just dont fall into the "i press buttons and wave around " characters. timis is major when you want to play higher lvl. I love chun as i'v played her since sf2. But now i love viper(chun is my second hun though^^) viper is kinda tricky to master/learn. Less life, less hard stun. But.....magic when the flow is going full effect.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#27  Edited By StarvingGamer

Seth is so much fun to play as a rushdown character, so many options.  Just don't get hit, like, ever.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By napalm

PICK IBUKI CUZ SHES GOT INSANE CROSSUPS AND POKES AND MEGA MIXUP MINDGAMES YEAAAAAAA

coolfurby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By coolfurby

Juri is just plain fun to play as. I really suggest just checking her out at the very least.

Levianth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Levianth

Honestly, there are very few characters in ssfiv, if any at all, that are the "wrong choice".  

Go do alot of trials, get a find characters that you like how their moves meld together, then play them in training for a bit. 
     Once you get a feel for them take them online and be prepared to learn from your mistakes.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By Kyreo

Ibuki is pretty fast.  Abel is quick but I wouldn't say fast.  

Giacomito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Giacomito

I would suggest two things. 
    1.Go to trial mode, and try out some trials for ALL the characters, even the ones you don't think you would enjoy (you might surprise yourself) and see if you like the feel of the characters and some of the combos they can do. 

2. Also, what I did was that I went for the "get 1000 BP with all characters" trophy/achievement  when I was having trouble picking a main character (I got tired of Cody being ass in a lot of match-ups). That really gave me new insight in all the characters and ultimately made me realize that I still like Cody the best. 

oh, if you want a fast character that is sure to annoy people, pick El Fuerte.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.