Interrupting/ Countering Links...

#1 Posted by TheLastNeo (436 posts) -

In my continued attempts to understand this game more, Im trying to figure out whether or not my success in interrupting some combos / links are a result of lag, or good timing on my part. 

I'll admit that I used to mash SRK (back during vanilla), but ive abandoned that practice to be a better player. 

With that said , there are times where you pick up on patterns of a given player, who is constantly throwing out B&B combos, and as one would assume, you pick up on the pattern. 

I can usually throw in a Tiger Uppercut, after the first or second hit of some combos,   Granted, this doenst work for every character i.e. I can rarely pull it off on a ryu who's doing c.lp c.lp c.lp c.mk hadoken 

If I was say playing in an ardcade, or vs a good player, would i still be able to pull that shit off? or can we blame my success on lag? 

I know its probalby impossible to answer, but figured id see...

#2 Posted by Baillie (4025 posts) -

Uh, wouldn't this go both ways though?

#3 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -

Do you understand how combos work? 

If they do it right no matter what you do you are not going to stop the combo with a mashed upppercut. 

If the uppercut comes out they suck and didnt do the combo has nothing to do with you.

#4 Posted by SuperEvilDOOM (30 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" Do you understand how combos work?  If they do it right no matter what you do you are not going to stop the combo with a mashed upppercut.  If the uppercut comes out they suck and didnt do the combo has nothing to do with you. "
This. If you're interrupting your opponent. it's either because they dropped their combo or they weren't doing one. A proper combo or link is unable to be interrupted. The reason people mash out moves is in case the player does drop the combo for whatever reason
#5 Edited by gosukiller (2324 posts) -

What Jeffsekai said. If you can get a move out it means that the other player dropped the link, this has nothing to do with your expert timing and more with hours of butterchurning. 

Trust me, I used to play T.Hawk and anyone who didn't have their links/blockstrings down would eat a throw.

Also, this belongs in the beginners forum, not in a seperate topic.

#6 Posted by Pessh (2453 posts) -

A combo is a sequence that can't be interrupted once it starts, if you're mashing something and it works he’s dropping the combo. You shouldn't be mashing anyway, a good player will catch on, deliberately end his combo early, mash whiffs and you get punished.  

#7 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1917 posts) -
@Pessh:
This, this, and this. 

I've KO'd my friend's Akuma and Adon simply off of this. If you're fighting someone halfway intelligent who notices you like to mash SRKs in blockstrings, they'll purposefully drop combos to do huge damage. 

Hell, Uryo did this to Daigo in Godsgarden once or twice.  

Don't mash shit, just understand that if you're going to be IronFist'ing it up a storm, have two meters to play it safe. Trust me, I'm rather fond of reversal fierce thunder knuckles when I have no meter, so take it from the master/imbecile.
#8 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -
@gosukiller said:
"Trust me, I used to play T.Hawk and anyone who didn't have their links/blockstrings down would eat a throw. "
I love it when T.Hawks do that. Just do a couple jabs and neutral jump and you get a massive combo while they whiff their grab. Even better than baiting out an uppercut :D.
#9 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -
@TheLastNeo: Are you asking if you are legitimately breaking their combo? If so, no. 

You can't break a combo by doing anything. If you've been noticing that they constantly drop a combo at the same point and throw a knee there, then yeah, I see what you're saying, but don't really get the question. 

As far as is it a fair/decent strategy: yup, its sound. 

Mashing is another beast altogether, and those who do it online deserve castration (though many pros would accept it as legit).
#10 Posted by TheLastNeo (436 posts) -

Yeah for the record, in case some of you didnt catch it, i said that i 

USED TO MASH

shit... 

But I think this pretty much answered my question here: 

@SuperEvilDOOM said:

This. If you're interrupting your opponent. it's either because they dropped their combo or they weren't doing one.

So basically, if I managed to pull off a tiger uppercut after the first hit of an attempted combo, its because of  my opponents improper timing of a combo. 

Makes sense.. 

Thanks to those who responsed..  its helpful
#11 Posted by gosukiller (2324 posts) -
@Scooper said:
" @gosukiller said:
"Trust me, I used to play T.Hawk and anyone who didn't have their links/blockstrings down would eat a throw. "
I love it when T.Hawks do that. Just do a couple jabs and neutral jump and you get a massive combo while they whiff their grab. Even better than baiting out an uppercut :D. "

The moment the PS3 folks found this out was the same moment I switched to Rose ^_^
#12 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -
@TheLastNeo said:
" Yeah for the record, in case some of you didnt catch it, i said that i 

USED TO MASH

shit... 

But I think this pretty much answered my question here: 

@SuperEvilDOOM said:

This. If you're interrupting your opponent. it's either because they dropped their combo or they weren't doing one.
  So basically, if I managed to pull off a tiger uppercut after the first hit of an attempted combo, its because of  my opponents improper timing of a combo.  Makes sense..  Thanks to those who responsed..  its helpful "
Thats mashing.
#13 Edited by TheLastNeo (436 posts) -
@Jeffsekai: Wow, if thats true and you're not just being a dick... 

then I should just stop caring about playing this game with any level of seriousness, and just play for fun, and fuck the technical jargon bullshit.

My interpretation of "MASHING" was just hitting DFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFPDFPDFPDFPPDFPDFPDFPDPFDFPDFPDFPDFPDFPDFPDPFDFP
#14 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -
@TheLastNeo said:

" @Jeffsekai: Wow, if thats true and you're not just being a dick...  then I should just stop caring about playing this game with any level of seriousness, and just play for fun, and fuck the technical jargon bullshit. My interpretation of "MASHING" was just hitting DFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFDFPDFPDFPDFPPDFPDFPDFPDPFDFPDFPDFPDFPDFPDFPDPFDFP "

Watch the first 30 seconds. Listen to the commentary.
#15 Edited by gosukiller (2324 posts) -
@TheLastNeo: For your definition of mashing, let's turn the situation around:

Your opponent goes for a link, let's say a Rose goes Cr.Lk, which she wants to combo into into Cr.Lp > Cr.Mp etc. etc. 
While the Rose player tries to combo each input, you do the TIGER UPPERCUT input to find a dropped link. 

Situation A: Rose actually executes the link and puts you to the ground. You just did a bunch of motions and button presses for no reason: THIS IS MASHING.
Situation B: Rose screws up the timing between cr,lp and cr.mp. You just did a Tiger Uppercut to counter the late cr.mp. THIS IS TACTICAL GENIUS.

Of course, a good player, or even average ones really, will notice you are doing this shit and create situation C for you.

Situation C: Rose does the cr.lk > cr.lp, she then blocks. Your Uppercut comes out and whiffs magnificently. When you land, the Rose player hits you with Cr.HP into HK Drill into Super. YOU ARE LOSING.
#16 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

Scrubby or not, it if works do it, but only if you know it'll work. Many tourny players will mash out a DP if they have 2 bars to keep it safe regaurdless. If you notice your opponent ain't so good at doing combos, then mash away since the chances are high you can get away with it. (lag is a seperate issue though).  

Marn had seemingly beaten Daigo at Seasons beatings this year due to "random" ultras, but if you play close attention, marn had just read what daigo was going to do on wake up (based on thier previous matches) and doing an ultra was the best choice for him.  

Here, even Daigo himself MASHES, but he ain't any less of a serious player since he doesn't always do it.  

Just check the end of the vid when Daigo shows his human side and gets desperate by mashing. We all mash at some point, we are all free, unless you are an FN robot, everybody is human. 
#17 Posted by lordofultima (6205 posts) -

When the link is hitting, if it's a tight link you won't be able to interrupt it with a reversal -- due to hit stun. Block stun on the other hand is a very different thing, and in SSFIV there are very few "true" block strings. So if you go into auto-pilot and do some links on an opponent who is blocking, they will often be able to break through with a reversal uppercut, since block stun is much less than hit stun. This is why you see top players mashing crouching jab and short in block strings now, for fear of the mash, and because chained normals are a legitimate block string where as linked normals usually aren't.

#18 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1110 posts) -

Just make sure everyone knows..... 

I mash all the time.

#19 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -
@SpecialBuddy said:
" Just make sure everyone knows.....  I mash all the time. "
I thought I knew you.
#20 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -
@SpecialBuddy said:
" Just make sure everyone knows.....  I mash all the time. "
But do you also watch MASH all the time? I do.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.