Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Iplaywinner's new Jan 2011 Tier List

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By killroycantkill

So it's that time again, IPW has put out a new tier list which can be found here. Nothing seems to out of the ordinary except for Akuma's jump to the top of the list. So I guess that means that Lord of Ultima is a tier whore! Check out the pic below for the new standings:

No Caption Provided
    Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Plasma

Fuck that list. Cody is nowhere near this bad, nor is Rose, both should be in B-tier, while Juri and Ibuki should drop on down.

Also that douche is just salty about losing 7-0 to Tokido, Akuma must be top tier.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#3  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Whaaa..? When have Fei Long and Akuma been top tier?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#4  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @ArbitraryWater: Since Vortex and Rekkas
    gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By gosukiller

Nothing out of the ordinairy?! Fucking Rose got bumped back to C-tier. 
    That's fucking Hawk, Guy and El Fuerte territory. 

She definitely needed nerf in AE. <insert more ranting>

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JJOR64

Not sure what to say really.  I guess I'm surprised Akuma is on top.  Everything else seems OK.

Heartbreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Heartbreak
    @gosukiller said:
    " Nothing out of the ordinairy?! Fucking Rose got bumped back to C-tier. That's fucking Hawk, Guy and El Fuerte territory.  She definitely needed nerf in AE. <insert more ranting> "
    Soul Satalite for sure, but buff that shit up otherwise.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By lordofultima

We already knew Akuma and Fei were top tier, where have you guys been? Just because America can't play those characters very well, DOESN'T MEAN THEY'RE NOT GOOD!

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By animateria

As long as Ibuki remains mid-tier (No ups, or downs.), I'm happy. 

I haven't played Super in awhile come to think of it...

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By benpack

Great. As a Zangief player I love to see Akuma move to the top and probably have more people play him. Great.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Scooper

I literally do not care at all about Tier Lists any more. I'm not going to look at any again and certainly not base any characters I'll play because of it.

FUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By FUN
    @Scooper:  New tier lists are kind of a big deal.  I'm still maining Cody and have been repping Akuma since SF IV's arcade, but tier lists aren't something to ignore altogether.
    gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gosukiller
    @Heartbreak: I guess U2 is considered one of the best ultras in the game, which put her in the nerf crosshairs of the CapCops. I can understand that. 

But nerfing meter-building on the 3rd worst fireball (on level with Dan and Sakura) in the game and removing her super-trap because "Ryu doesn't have a super-trap either!" is complete nonsense. With that logic I can think of a whole bunch of stuff Ryu has that Rose doesn't (an FADC into U1, for example). 

I was REALLY hopeful for Rose in AE, which just made me more disappointed. 

That was pretty much the <insert rant> i was talking about =p
    TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheGremp

Heck yes, Juri's moving on up.  B tier achieved!  She seems to have a nice balance now, mostly 5s with a few 4:6s and no 7:3s.  She's getting nothing but buffs in AE, so I'm feeling hopeful.  I am a little surprised that Rose and Cody are so low, but the rest of the list seems solid.

P.S. That one douchebag who made an off-the-cuff tier list 5 days after SSFIV came out and said that Fei was the worst character in the game must feel silly right now.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Scooper
    @FUN said:
    " @Scooper:  New tier lists are kind of a big deal.  I'm still maining Cody and have been repping Akuma since SF IV's arcade, but tier lists aren't something to ignore altogether. "
    They are to me because they are usually made by people who are biased and take in their own experiences with matchups too much instead of looking at the bigger picture. I used to consider the tier lists a bunch when I was thinking of a character to play. I'd think "oh, I can't really play this character because people will say I'm a tier whore" or I'd pick someone at the bottom specifically because I couldn't be called that. Now after seeing lists fluctuate sooo much I've concluded that it completely doesn't matter who you play in this game or how your character stacks up compared to another and what that means. Just pick a character who you like and don't think about tier lists and don't fucking complain when your character goes up or down from a previous list, who cares.
    FUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FUN
    @Scooper said:

" @FUN said: They are to me because they are usually made by people who are biased and take in their own experiences with matchups too much instead of looking at the bigger picture

This is literally the exact opposite.

I may be able to Sagat in SF IV with Abel, but Sagat will always have better tools and matchups that make him a better character, but I can understand if you have no interest in metagame.
    Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Jayzilla

Gen livin life in the D-League?! My Super to Ultra can't be stopped!

Avatar image for thelegendofluke
    TheLegendofLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheLegendofLuke
    @Scooper: But if I don't pay attention to tier lists how will I be able to blame losing on bad matchups? It's certainly not my fault when I lose...
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Scooper
    @TheLegendofLuke said:
    " @Scooper: But if I don't pay attention to tier lists how will I be able to blame losing on bad matchups? It's certainly not my fault when I lose... "
    Yeah, that's what annoys me. Sure, we all know the Hakan vs Sim match or whatever isn't so hot but don't think the number on the chart actually applies to you, get out there and work out a way to change that number. What I'm really saying is it annoys me when people take these numbers as hard fact. You could be the guy who takes Hakan in a new way and destroys even the best Sims in the world, so don't just see a 6/4 matchup and conclude that this character is better than this character in a fight. It's all hokom. Sure, these lists are made with some sort of care and there is use and interest in a ranking in a game but it amazes me why anyone should actually care about what the lists say.
    FUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FUN

The numbers can change, it's more like guidelines in knowing what to expect from whom.  I've beaten Uriens and Yun's all day erryday with Alex in 3S, and I've also lost to Necro's and Hugo's. They are especially helpful if you do know which character you want to stick.   As for that "be the guy and change that number," on SRK's 3rd Strike board we've recently, as in 2010, found ways and situations that are not only in Alex's favor in those situations against Urien then and there, but things the entire match.  It was seen once Urien gets you in the corner it's over, but now once it's in the corner we've found out why Urien should be afraid of Alex.  Will this change the tier list and have Alex in Low replace Urien in High?  No way, but will it ultimately show Alex was not as bad vs Urien as initially thought from when it was last compiled, it's the evolution of the game.  I just wish 3rd Strike was still popular so we coulda made a difference :/

Juicebox has a   pretty good podcast explaining the purpose, misconceptions, reasoning, and reception of tier lists, it's a good listen if you have forty minutes to spare.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JokerSmilez
    @Scooper: Tier lists do have relevance and there is such a thing as strong and weak match-ups. Some characters are better suited to fight other characters. It's why you see counterpicks like Ricky Ortiz playing Chun-Li against Vangief's Zangief at NorCal Regionals 8 or Justin Wong picking Cammy against Wolfkrone's C. Viper at NEC XI

It's not that these natural advantages/disadvantages can't be overcome (Ricky's Rufus beat Daigo's Ryu at Norcal 8, normally a 6-4 matchup favoring Ryu), but they still exist - it requires skill, good reading of your opponent, etc. 

I do agree with you that people certainly shouldn't read too much into them. It's like when Daigo plays Guile and there's a mad dash of people reading up on Guile or wanting to play him. The same thing happened with Adon after Gamerbee eliminated Justin Wong at EVO. Just because a top level player can be good with a character doesn't mean anything for some scrub on a message board.

It takes incredible amounts of skill to be good with any character and a good player will beat a scrub 9 times out 10 no matter what characters they play. Honestly, I think these types of tier lists are only really relevant at the highest level of competition so people like us arguing over them is meaningless and a waste of time. 
    taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By taccyp

Akuma is definitely a worthy character to be on top. 99% of online Akumas are complete garbage, but on paper he is the ultimate character.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Tony Hawk higher tier than Gouken?! Ha ha ha, that's funny list.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Scooper
    @JokerSmilez: Agree entirely. Some characters do have better matchups against other characters just by the simple toolset they both got. 

@ThePhantomnaut said:
    " Tony Hawk higher tier than Gouken?! Ha ha ha, that's funny list. "
    It's just comments like this that are dumb.
    ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I have not paid attention to SSFIV in a while and this list blows my mind. Sagat is mid now while Guile, Fie long and Cammy are high. what happend to change the list so dramatticly? I'm very curious.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @Scooper said:

" @JokerSmilez: Agree entirely. Some characters do have better matchups against other characters just by the simple toolset they both got. 

@ThePhantomnaut

said:

" Tony Hawk higher tier than Gouken?! Ha ha ha, that's funny list. "

It's just comments like this that are dumb. "
    Ha ha u funny dawg, likewise and shit. But in serious terms, I don't really care about tier lists.
    TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheGremp
    @ImmortalSaiyan said:
    " I have not paid attention to SSFIV in a while and this list blows my mind. Sagat is mid now while Guile, Fie long and Cammy are high. what happend to change the list so dramatticly? I'm very curious. "
    Yeah, it's pretty clear that you haven't been paying attention.  Sagat hasn't been high tier since Vanilla.  He got nerfed like crazy in Super, and he's been sitting with the mid-tiers ever since.  You can expect tier lists to change drastically when an entirely new game comes out.
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @Scooper said:
    " I literally do not care at all about Tier Lists any more. I'm not going to look at any again and certainly not base any characters I'll play because of it. "
    This. I'm freaking sick and tired of the damn things.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By scarace360

Rog still top tier hell ya!

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30  Edited By demontium
    @Plasma said:
    " Fuck that list. Cody is nowhere near this bad, nor is Rose, both should be in B-tier, while Juri and Ibuki should drop on down. Also that douche is just salty about losing 7-0 to Tokido, Akuma must be top tier. "
    This is AE, and yes they are, trust me I used to main Cody and Rose, I'm dropping both of them. It's that bad.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By demontium
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " Whaaa..? When have Fei Long and Akuma been top tier? "
    In AE, fei has +6 on his standing jab, and close stand jab hits low as well, so it combos into sweep. 

And akuma randomly got nerfed the least of the top tiers, making him the best.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#32  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @demontium: That's tournament jargon I can understand. Of course, if these stats are based on arcade edition than where are Yun and Yang? Or is this some sort of weird hybrid between the console and the arcade versions? And is Vega any better?
    Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By Plasma
    @demontium said:
    " @Plasma said:
    " Fuck that list. Cody is nowhere near this bad, nor is Rose, both should be in B-tier, while Juri and Ibuki should drop on down. Also that douche is just salty about losing 7-0 to Tokido, Akuma must be top tier. "
    This is AE, and yes they are, trust me I used to main Cody and Rose, I'm dropping both of them. It's that bad. "
    Are you this dumb? How could this possibly be a AE Tier list. Just please, for a second, think. 

"January 2011 SSF4 Tier List might be the last update before we move onto tracking Arcade Edition". The article has only 1 paragraph you had to read.

I main Cody, and I've seen plenty of good Roses (Arturo, Sako, Luffy etc). They are nowhere near bottom tier.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By demontium
    @Plasma said:
    " @demontium said:
    " @Plasma said:
    This is AE, and yes they are, trust me I used to main Cody and Rose, I'm dropping both of them. It's that bad. "
    Are you this dumb? How could this possibly be a AE Tier list. Just please, for a second, think.  "January 2011 SSF4 Tier List might be the last update before we move onto tracking Arcade Edition". The article has only 1 paragraph you had to read. I main Cody, and I've seen plenty of good Roses (Arturo, Sako, Luffy etc). They are nowhere near bottom tier. "
    Oh shit you're right, this list is completely retarded. Cody is still really bad in matchups.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ImmortalSaiyan said:
    " I have not paid attention to SSFIV in a while and this list blows my mind. Sagat is mid now while Guile, Fie long and Cammy are high. what happend to change the list so dramatticly? I'm very curious. "
    Cammy has always been a beast, but people overlooked her; Guile and Fei have been great since Super's release/
    Bravestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bravestar
    @demontium said:

" @Plasma said:

" this might be the last update before we move onto tracking Arcade Edition match-ups" makes me believe this tier list isn't AE yet. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By napalm
    @lordofultima said:
    " We already knew Akuma and Fei were top tier, where have you guys been? Just because America can't play those characters very well, DOESN'T MEAN THEY'RE NOT GOOD! "
    lololololol. 

I saw that and went, "whaaaa?"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.