Is it possible to pull off a giantbomb vs gamefaqs tournament?

#1 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -

Okay, so ever since the last 360 tournament, which flopped on its face, I've pretty much given up tournaments on this site. 

But if there was motivation (prizes) and competition (gamfaqs), I wonder if this community could actually pull it off.... I mean gamefaqs has a bunch of good online tournaments and endless nights on the 360. 

I would need dedicated people...... its not gonna work, but I'm only suggesting this because I'm really drunk, soooo......

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

No, it's not possible.

#3 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" No, it's not possible. "
fine then
#4 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Are you going to set up said tournament and purchase said prizes?

#5 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -
@demontium said:
" fine then "
Anyone can make the impossible possible if they have the will.
#6 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" Are you going to set up said tournament and purchase said prizes? "
Maybe, IDK yet. It would be digital prizes, like MS points or steam gifting or something.
#7 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @demontium said:
" fine then "
Anyone can make the impossible possible if they have the will. "
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbleh, stop being cliche honey.
#8 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -
@demontium said:
" bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbleh, stop being cliche honey. "
Never.
#9 Posted by august (3833 posts) -

Bringing in prizes of monetary value is asking for some kind of disaster. That, and the gamefaqs community is pretty horrible.

#10 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -

Nopr

#11 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@august said:
" Bringing in prizes of monetary value is asking for some kind of disaster. That, and the gamefaqs community is pretty horrible. "
It's better than us. 

@Jeffsekai said:
" Nopr "
go home and be a grammar man
#12 Posted by Skytylz (4031 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @august said:
" Bringing in prizes of monetary value is asking for some kind of disaster. That, and the gamefaqs community is pretty horrible. "
It's better than us. 

@Jeffsekai said:
" Nopr "
go home and be a grammar man "
You're saying that gamefaqs has a better community than us?  I'm appalled.  
#13 Edited by GlenTennis (3144 posts) -
#14 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -
@demontium: u cnt tell me wat do
#15 Posted by lordofultima (6230 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @august said:
It's better than us. 

@Jeffsekai said:
" Nopr "
That's a big ol' joke. Gamefaqs is like someone taking a big, nuclear shit on your chest.
#16 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

Well nothing is impossible, just is it plausible?

#17 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@Skytylz said:
" @demontium said:
" @august said:
It's better than us. 

@Jeffsekai said:
" Nopr "
You're saying that gamefaqs has a better community than us?  I'm appalled.   "
I'm saying they can get a tournament done and we cant.
#18 Edited by lordofultima (6230 posts) -
@demontium said:

" @Skytylz said:

" @demontium said:

" @august said:
It's better than us. 

@Jeffsekai

said:
" Nopr "
I'm saying they can get a tournament done and we cant. "
Well, then obviously the people at this forum are the problem. Maybe you can just get a gamefaqs tournament running by signing up at gamefaqs, making a post, and saying "hey, lets do an online tourney thing!" I mean saying tournament on these boards pretty much guarantees it's going to fall on deaf ears. 

I really don't even see the point in running a giant bomb tournament. There's never more than 2 people on from giant bomb playing ssf4 at any given time, what makes you think that 16 of them will show up at 4pm on a Friday afternoon to honor a commitment of some sort? Clearly that's too much for the internet.
#19 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I feel insulted by the opponent you've selected for us.

#20 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" @demontium said:

" @Skytylz said:

" @demontium said:

" @august said:
It's better than us. 

@Jeffsekai

said:
" Nopr "
Well, then obviously the people at this forum are the problem. Maybe you can just get a gamefaqs tournament running by signing up at gamefaqs, making a post, and saying "hey, lets do an online tourney thing!" I mean saying tournament on these boards pretty much guarantees it's going to fall on deaf ears.  I really don't even see the point in running a giant bomb tournament. There's never more than 2 people on from giant bomb playing ssf4 at any given time, what makes you think that 16 of them will show up at 4pm on a Friday afternoon to honor a commitment of some sort? Clearly that's too much for the internet. "
Too bad I don't give a shit about the Gfaqs people, and in the grand scheme of things I'm trying to get giantbomb to be tournament enabled again. 

By attacking gamefaqs, we unite giantbomb. 
#21 Posted by gosukiller (2324 posts) -

I don't know what this Gamefaqs is, but I wonder: Does it have a PS3 community?
A tournament on  the PS3 could have bigger odds of working once the whole GT5 craze has blown over.

#22 Posted by fullmetal5550 (345 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @lordofultima said:
" @demontium said:

" @Skytylz said:

" @demontium said:

" @august said:
It's better than us. 

@Jeffsekai

said:
" Nopr "
Well, then obviously the people at this forum are the problem. Maybe you can just get a gamefaqs tournament running by signing up at gamefaqs, making a post, and saying "hey, lets do an online tourney thing!" I mean saying tournament on these boards pretty much guarantees it's going to fall on deaf ears.  I really don't even see the point in running a giant bomb tournament. There's never more than 2 people on from giant bomb playing ssf4 at any given time, what makes you think that 16 of them will show up at 4pm on a Friday afternoon to honor a commitment of some sort? Clearly that's too much for the internet. "
Too bad I don't give a shit about the Gfaqs people, and in the grand scheme of things I'm trying to get giantbomb to be tournament enabled again.  By attacking gamefaqs, we unite giantbomb.  "
Why does Giantbomb need to attack Gamefaqs? What would the point of it be? If you don't care about the Gamefaqs people than why do you want to have a Giantbomb VS. Gamefaqs tournament in the first place? Giantbomb and Gamefaqs are two totally different sites.
#23 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

Online tournaments (outside of Japan and the UK) are a waste of time because the connections are such that you can't play to the best of your ability so the point of a tournament is stupid. If you have an online tournament that would actualy sort out who's the best and improve everyone's game you'd need to limit it to a couple small states.

#24 Posted by Sammo21 (3251 posts) -
@demontium: When I first saw the title of this message board post I was thinking it was some sort of competition comparing message board post quality, or hillarity, and I was going to say GFAQs is possibly one of the worst communities and boards on the planet.  Then I see what this is really about and all I can do is shake my head. 

I'm shaking my head right now.
#25 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@fullmetal5550 said:
" @demontium said:
" @lordofultima said:
" @demontium said:

" @Skytylz said:

" @demontium said:

" @august said:
It's better than us. 

@Jeffsekai

said:
" Nopr "
Too bad I don't give a shit about the Gfaqs people, and in the grand scheme of things I'm trying to get giantbomb to be tournament enabled again.  By attacking gamefaqs, we unite giantbomb.  "
Why does Giantbomb need to attack Gamefaqs? What would the point of it be? If you don't care about the Gamefaqs people than why do you want to have a Giantbomb VS. Gamefaqs tournament in the first place? Giantbomb and Gamefaqs are two totally different sites. "
Why not? It'd be fun to beat another site, I'm sure they'd be down. I'd need 11 players who wanna rep giantbomb (+ me makes 12) vs another 12 from Gfaqs
#26 Posted by Doctorchimp (4073 posts) -
@demontium: The last time I hopped on a gamefaqs tournament... 

4 of those kids..(yes kids) had shitty DSL connections where I would do the motions and seconds later it would come out in the middle of a punch...and they refused to let anyone else set up the fights...they had to be hosts.. 

Internet tournaments are slightly silly. Gamefaqs is fucking sillier.
#27 Posted by Baillie (4074 posts) -

I'm sorry, but the people over at Gamefaqs are extremely dumb, I don't care if there is a small amount of cool people there, the community as a whole is retarded. 

Why do people always want to set up tournaments anyway?

#28 Posted by Necrotrophic (261 posts) -
@Baillie said:
" I'm sorry, but the people over at Gamefaqs are extremely dumb, I don't care if there is a small amount of cool people there, the community as a whole is retarded.  Why do people always want to set up tournaments anyway? "
this. 

some of the whiniest scrubs ive ever come across posted there, and i post on srk so that says a lot
#29 Posted by gosukiller (2324 posts) -

Could someone brief me on this whole Gamefaqs thing? I've never heard of it untill now so I don't have any perspective other than it's a website.

#30 Edited by SpecialBuddy (1110 posts) -

This seems dumb.

#31 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
@gosukiller said:
" Could someone brief me on this whole Gamefaqs thing? I've never heard of it untill now so I don't have any perspective other than it's a website. "
Gamefaqs has the same forum as Gamespot since they are both owned by the same company. So any GB versus Gamefaqs is really GB versus gamespot. And as much as I like to see this on any system, its not gonna work out since GB has too small of a community compared to Gamefaqs(spot) that even if we narrowed it down to 8 man tourney 4 v 4 from each side, something is bound to fuck up and talent pool to draw from is more from gamefaqs(spot, stop).   

I've given up on online tournaments in general unless the person I'm playing against is in the same town as me. 
#32 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

No. Stang will be on the GameFAQs side and then we will all be fucked. In the ass. Repeatedly.

#33 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@StaticFalconar said:
" Gamefaqs has the same forum as Gamespot since they are both owned by the same company. So any GB versus Gamefaqs is really GB versus gamespot. "
Anything GameFAQs is actually GameFAQs vs. GameSpot. Yeah, there are still users that are resentful of CNET's 2003 purchase of the site and the merging of the communities.
#34 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@Napalm said:
" No. Stang will be on the GameFAQs side and then we will all be fucked. In the ass. Repeatedly. "
I betcha he'd rep giantbomb
#35 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@Necrotrophic said:
" @Baillie said:
" I'm sorry, but the people over at Gamefaqs are extremely dumb, I don't care if there is a small amount of cool people there, the community as a whole is retarded.  Why do people always want to set up tournaments anyway? "
this.  some of the whiniest scrubs ive ever come across posted there, and i post on srk so that says a lot "
That sounds like a good reason to fight them, because on their forums they've talked about a cross tournament versus us a couple times, saying we're retarded too.
#36 Posted by lordofultima (6230 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @Necrotrophic said:
" @Baillie said:
this.  some of the whiniest scrubs ive ever come across posted there, and i post on srk so that says a lot "
That sounds like a good reason to fight them, because on their forums they've talked about a cross tournament versus us a couple times, saying we're retarded too. "
If the retarded shoe fits! ZING 

But seriously, tournaments are cool...jes the whole region thing, and then people not feeling obliged to show up thing...UGH.
#37 Edited by Plasma (931 posts) -

Dunno Euro Gamefaqs vs Euro Giantbomb might work, I am told USA connections are not always the greatest.  

I'd say UK Giantbomb has a pretty good team :D

#38 Posted by natetodamax (19191 posts) -

Only if you're okay with playing against a bunch of little kids.

#39 Edited by warxsnake (2645 posts) -

Id be more interested in GB vs Kotaku

#40 Posted by GlenTennis (3144 posts) -

Think about it this way. You get the 8 or whatever players from each side, then you have the tourney go. Someone doesn't show up? They lose. Worst case scenario only a few people show up to rep Giant Bomb, and those players have fun.

#41 Edited by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@warxsnake said:

" Id be more interested in GB vs Kotaku "

Christ, and I thought the GameFAQs community was bad. Thanks for topping it with an even worse community to be associated with.
#42 Posted by GlenTennis (3144 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" @warxsnake said:

Christ, and I thought the GameFAQs community was bad. Thanks for topping it with an even worse community to be associated with. "
We should play against the "Ain't it Cool News" forums.
#43 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@GlenTennis: Whats that?
#44 Posted by GlenTennis (3144 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @GlenTennis: Whats that? "
What's what?
#45 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

But the GameFAQs community blows. Why?

#46 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -
@GlenTennis said:
" @MysteriousBob said:
" @warxsnake said:

Christ, and I thought the GameFAQs community was bad. Thanks for topping it with an even worse community to be associated with. "
We should play against the "Ain't it Cool News" forums. "
Hahahaha, sweet. I'll get the Peddlebackers involved (I was heavily into the AICN forums at one point).
#47 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@Vinchenzo said:
" But the GameFAQs community blows. Why? "
We could beat them down....
#48 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

I had ideas for a GB only ranbats tourney with prizes but that shit wont happen.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.