Is Street Fighter 4 really that good?

#1 Posted by leejunfan83 (901 posts) -

I'd like to think of myself as a fighting game enthusiast going back to the days of Atari and the 16 bit systems. I'd play any fighting game I could get my hands on popular titles like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Fatal Fury, Killer Instinct and lesser known games like Golden Fighter, Deadly Moves, Tobal, Kensi, Shao-lin Lord of the Fist, Wu-tang, Last Bronx, Cardinal Sin, Iron and Blood, Fighters Mega mix, Fighter Maker, Destrega, Kakuto Chojin, Tao Feng, etc .So when Street Fighter 4 was announced I was naturally excited because I always wanted to see a proper 3d Street Fighter game without the EX name. Upon it's release it got rave reviews I'm not sure if this was due to the fact that a Street Fighter sequel had not been released in over a decade or because the game was just amazing to the reviewers. After playing it and it's expanded iterations I felt like it was one of the biggest let downs I have ever experienced. There wasn't anything revolutionary about the game the graphics were good but not up to the level of detail of Virtua Fighter 5 or Tekken 5 or 6 the game play is largely the same from the 16 bit era and yet it was being promoted as the greatest fighters of it's time. I don't know if it's me if it was something I was missing or if it's a generational thing because the game felt rather uninspired and lackluster to me. I would love to see what other people think about this.

#2 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6067 posts) -

It's Street Fighter. Do you check match videos? You might notice lots of things you didn't catch.

Check this out for example...

#3 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Well I was going to make an informative post but I stopped reading when I saw you say Tekken 5 has more detail than Street Fighter IV.

I have the PSN version of that on my PS3. All I'm gonna say is you must be having a giraffe.

#4 Edited by myketuna (1631 posts) -

@Sooty said:

Well I was going to make an informative post but I stopped reading when I saw you say Tekken 5 has more detail than Street Fighter IV.

I stopped reading at graphics. You beat me.

Seriously though, OP, maybe it's just not your style. That's all. You're not missing anything (except thinking "it's largely the same" thing) and it's not generational because according to you, you've played fighting games since Atari and 16-bit systems (which is odd since this means you skipped the "8-bit" systems). Anyway, it's just not your style. I don't like Tekken and I have a mild liking of Virtua Fighter, but I don't think the new VF5 or Tekken 6 are lackluster. They're just Tekken and Virtua Fighter games.

#5 Posted by TheLeamenator (146 posts) -

Street Fighter IV is good... I just don't play it because I feel as though the developers expect me to have the reflexes of a Japanese high school student who spends hours a week in a Tokyo arcade playing stupid rhythm games in order to be good at it. Still good though. I'm more of a Mortal Kombat man myself. Only because I can actually kick people's asses in it, unlike SFIV.

#6 Posted by MetalMoog (906 posts) -

Street Fighter IV is a great fighting game that rewards dedication and hours of practice. Street Fighter has always had a fanatical loyal fanbase and that itself should be a testament to how solid the game is if you learn to play it and choose to dedicate your life and soul to mastering it's greatness. I do not, therefore it sits in my drawer and collects dust.

#7 Posted by Pessh (2451 posts) -

Yes.

#8 Edited by GaspoweR (2509 posts) -

Your probably one of the people who preferred the look of 3d fighters now compared to the art style of SF 4. I'm not gonna say "graphics" in this one since it ought to be more technical and I'm not necessarily a software engineer or programmer but SF4 is great to look at visually especially with the amount of detail put into the animations. I prefer playing Tekken personally since I'm better at it but I do like SF 4 more in terms of its look and art style. Its very distinct. As for the gameplay, I have to say that SF 4 is great though the pacing isn't as fast as Third Strike.

EDIT: Also its kind of it dismissive to say from the other posters that both SF 4 and the new MK is JUST the old versions with just new visuals. It doesn't play the same as the old games since the mechanics added are just different. Those comments just come off as being uninformed.

#9 Posted by 71Ranchero (2580 posts) -

I didnt think SF4 was all that great either, I enjoyed KOF XII much more. Also not a fan of what they did to MvC.

#10 Posted by thehuntsmen5434 (427 posts) -

Some would argue IV was a step back from III. It sure feels that way, in my opinion probably because III wasn't that popular since it removed so many characters and changed the play style of II a lot with II being the most popular. Then IV came out, felt more like II, and had all the classic characters back and a all around less serious tone with the story. And everyone rejoiced. Most people would think of II when they think of Street Fighter. So bringing back that feeling was important for Capcom so it'd be successful.

#11 Posted by Piranesi (452 posts) -

No ... and Mortal Kombat is fairly poor as well.

Both play heavily on nostalgia but bring little to the genre beyond a lick of fresh paint. There was a good reason why these games stopped being played beyond the hardcore audience.

Unfortunately, they are stymied by their player base who are stopping real innovation - they just want the old mechanics and familiar characters (without regard to whether they are still relevant or, in MKs case, never were).

#12 Edited by lordofultima (6184 posts) -

Yep, all those GREAT FIGHTING GAMES on the ATARI 2600. Tons of 'em. lmao

Yes, the game is great. It's nothing like 3rd Strike, more footsie based and methodically paced like ST.

#13 Posted by Sir_Lizardman (120 posts) -

I don't know what is but I have kept playing street fighter 4 since it release and not even that good at it. Maybe its a hypnotizing me while I am playing it

#14 Posted by Maajin (1038 posts) -

@lordofultima said:

Yep, all those GREAT FIGHTING GAMES on the ATARI 2600. Tons of 'em. lmao

Yes, the game is great. It's nothing like 3rd Strike, more footsie based and methodically paced like ST.

Hey, man... those were the days!!

#15 Posted by Killroycantkill (1361 posts) -

@Pessh said:

Yes.

Exactly what I thought you were going to post. LOL.

#16 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (4851 posts) -

@Piranesi said:

No ... and Mortal Kombat is fairly poor as well.

Both play heavily on nostalgia but bring little to the genre beyond a lick of fresh paint. There was a good reason why these games stopped being played beyond the hardcore audience.

Unfortunately, they are stymied by their player base who are stopping real innovation - they just want the old mechanics and familiar characters (without regard to whether they are still relevant or, in MKs case, never were).

I'd disagree with that.

Though both do play a bit on nostalgia they are both well made games with a lot of thought put behind giving them both depth.

Street Fighter 4 did bring some new players into the fighting game scene by making it more manageable than 3 while still having its own complications that require people to dig deep into the game to be truly great. Mortal Kombat 9 was also really well made adding an innovative for the genre story mode with a training mode that could actually train new players.

MK's main problem is that it hasn't penetrated the EVO crowd and has a poor net code. Street Fighter's problems are that they don't teach anyone new to the genre anything so at first it will be all good but then only stays in the EVO market.

They both remain relevant today because they have evolved from their humble beginnings and even their last incarnations (I mean Street Fighter 4 as a whole and not counting Super as a prequel to AE etc.) while still remaining recognizable. MK definitely changed a lot while still keeping the "feel" of MK.

I also wildly disagree about your comment about MK. Especially since when it was released it was wildly popular so I would think that technically your wrong there.

#17 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

I'm not a big fighting game guy.

Some people like 2d, some people like 3d. Some people think doing quarter circles and charges are really lame, and some like that kind of thing. Some people like simplicity and some people like depth. Some people like Smash Bros. some people like SF, some like MK, some like Tekken, and some people like Blaz Blue.

I like some Street Fighter. I'm not sure if I like Tekken more, I definatly feel like Tekken could be more satisfying but I'm not really great at either. I got SFIV for my birthday and ended up not playing it much. But I didn't play Tekken 6 much either. MK I kind of think is a poor fighting game, it just has a lot of cool extra features. But thats just me. What do I know?

#18 Posted by lordofultima (6184 posts) -

I think Super Turbo has the perfect fighting engine, you can't improve upon perfect. So to create another fighting game methodically paced like SF4 is about as good as it gets. Solid mind games, footsies, traditional zoning is all in tact. It can never be ST, but it's about as close as it can be. Not a fan of "revolutionary" features in fighting games. When you play chess, you want to play chess. You don't want something more.

#19 Posted by Junpei (698 posts) -

@TheLeamenator said:

Street Fighter IV is good... I just don't play it because I feel as though the developers expect me to have the reflexes of a Japanese high school student who spends hours a week in a Tokyo arcade playing stupid rhythm games in order to be good at it.

Nah, that sounds more like third strike to me. But getting decent in third strike with timing combos makes SF4 feel easy by comparison

#20 Posted by lordofultima (6184 posts) -

@Junpei said:

@TheLeamenator said:

Street Fighter IV is good... I just don't play it because I feel as though the developers expect me to have the reflexes of a Japanese high school student who spends hours a week in a Tokyo arcade playing stupid rhythm games in order to be good at it.

Nah, that sounds more like third strike to me. But getting decent in third strike with timing combos makes SF4 feel easy by comparison

Yeah I agree, SF4 is one of the least reflex-reliant fighting games out there. You can go in with a game plan and execute without child-like reflexes.

#21 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

i liked it. thats all i really care about

#22 Posted by bearshamanbro (281 posts) -

SF4 has done so many things right and the complete package is the best of any of the fighting games out there. Personally, I think the art style is not that great and I don't like some of the mechanics of the game. I hate the easy inputs (wrong moves come out) and the links have gotten too strict and the FADC mechanic IMO is needlessly complex. I feel like you have to consistently practice to keep your muscle memory in form to pull off complex maneuvers. Yes the game on a base level is the easiest of all the street fighters in regards to execution, but to me feels like it's the strictest once you get past the basic moves and you get into combosxxultras. To me it feels like there is a technical barrier that is hard to get past before you get to the more interesting mind games. Also, the game has always felt underwater to me like the controls are not as responsive as some other games (probably just the speed of the game?). What it done well is solid online, big character selection, inviting to beginners, and entertaining to watch.

#23 Posted by Deeveeus (479 posts) -

If you enjoyed SF 2, grab it! It runs very much on that and as @junpei says, it's not as relfex reliant. I always had a hard time with it as it's a game that is very difficult to master. there is a steep learning curve and I have no damn patience. I myself will forever bang the Soul Calibur 1 and 2 drum, as well as BlazBlue. Tekken 3 was pretty epic back in the day as well.

#24 Posted by TheLeamenator (146 posts) -

@lordofultima: I'm still not fast enough. I'm working on it though. Sagat's my main, along with Gen and Adon (and every now and then, Ryu & Ken just for fun). I guess just playing them a whole lot is gonna help. It's just hard to not get discouraged when getting your ass handed to you over and over again. That's why I like Mortal Kombat quite a bit. Because I can actually destroy people at it.

#25 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Piranesi said:

Unfortunately, they are stymied by their player base who are stopping real innovation

Stopping real innovation? What "innovation" could a fighter have in 2011 that radically changes the way people look and play at fighters?

In this day and age, a fighter just needs to have solid mechanics and be balanced well in some capacity to be well-made. What, do you think throwing in boatloads of systems like BlazBlue is innovation? No? Going back to basics? No? Then what "innovation" could there be? I'm not limiting to those two options, I'm just throwing a few different options and paths that developers have taken with fighting games.

#26 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

No it isn't. It's just the game everyone plays. So play it.

#27 Posted by Lashe (1238 posts) -

Street Fighter IV is still my go-to multiplayer game 3 years in. Great character roster, well balanced, and superbly cheap these days.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.