Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Let's Make This Interesting -- Always play as Random

dantebk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By dantebk

Will you do it?  Will you always play as Random in Ranked matches?  It makes things crazy and unpredictable.

C'mon, let's not take fighting games so seriously!  It's all about having fun, right?  Please join me in vowing to always choose Random! 

Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By lilbigsupermario

Back in Street Fighter 4, I've done choosing random in matches.  But for SSF4, I guess I'll do that after I learn all the characters first. :)

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By FateOfNever

If it's all about having fun, and someone doesn't find random fun, then what?
    edit:  I mean, is that ok too?  Or will they just be considered to be "that guy."  You know, the guy that just takes it way too seriously?  The guy that you can tell is barely keeping him or herself from throwing the controller across the room, even when just playing against friends?  

I'm all for random though; even if there are just some characters I absolutely hate playing as - not just a "I'm bad with them" but I just hate their play style kind of thing.

Zombieheadbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Zombieheadbutt
    @lilbigsupermario said:
    " Back in Street Fighter 4, I've done choosing random in matches.  But for SSF4, I guess I'll do that after I learn all the characters first. :) "
    Yea, its too early in the games life-span to random just yet.  I've been playing for the last two days and I've just now got somewhat of a handle on Juri.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By lordofultima

No, in any ranked anything I always pick Akuma and Ultra I. I take that shit seriously. I really can't stand losing with someone else and then regretting the decision afterward.

ScubaStoobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ScubaStoobie

I suck with everyone except Ibuki and even then I do badly. I guess it couldn't hurt too bad to pick random a few times if I'm going to lose anyway.

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    I despise playing charge characters. So no.
    Aljosa15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Aljosa15

Not in Ranked. I might do random when I'm playing with friends.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By unsolvedparadox

Did it for awhile with some friends, it's fun for a few matches but there are too many wild mismatches.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Fallen189

I always do that, it's just a fighting game :)

dantebk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By dantebk

I understand what you're all saying. But honestly, if you're familiar with a couple SSFIV characters, you could probably play any character reasonably well.  It's either a charge character or a quarter-circle-forward/back character, right?  (I'm sure there are exceptions, but this is USUALLY true)

Personally I might be more likely to play Random in Ranked matches, and choose a character with friends.  I won't remember losing to a stranger, but a friend might not let me live it down.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By lordofultima
    @dantebk said:

" I understand what you're all saying. But honestly, if you're familiar with a couple SSFIV characters, you could probably play any character reasonably well.  It's either a charge character or a quarter-circle-forward/back character, right?  (I'm sure there are exceptions, but this is USUALLY true) Personally I might be more likely to play Random in Ranked matches, and choose a character with friends.  I won't remember losing to a stranger, but a friend might not let me live it down. "

This is not at all true. I can only play with 3 or 4 characters at an ok level, and one character at a good level. Playing Akuma and then saying you can play Ken reasonably well because of it, it's a fable. He's a completely different character.
    Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Renahzor

^^ what ultima said.  At low level play you can get by with basic shit, which I can do pretty wall all the special moves of the characters etc.  At higher level play, against better opponents, you'll just get smashed, you dont know the advanced nuances of the character.  

I reserve my random matches for friends houses, especially when there's more than a few people around who haven't played as much as the couple of serious players there.  Then we'll go all random, at least for a while.  So for me, its exactly the opposite.  Around friends, Im more apt to try new characters, pick random, do a double fuerte 50cent money match, whatever stupid shit we feel like.  In ranked, I like to stick with a character I know at least better than "He has a fireball and SRK".  I'd say my "couch games" are about 50% serious matches of main characters or more advanced characters for my friend an I, and 50% bullshit matches with whoever we're training, random picking, trying out anything new we can think of. 

Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lilbigsupermario

Even during the original roster of 25 characters, I couldn't even remember all the moves when I randomly get a character that I don't usually use.  And when you get into a match, there's really not much time to experiment how to do your character's moves hehe!  Now they added 10 more, and more problem for me to at least know everyone's basic special moves and ultras hehe!  I even have the game manual right beside me when I play SSF4 online just in case I forget the moves for the 10 new additions to the game. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.