Mashers, why do you do it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Stang (4726 posts) -

I am curious. I just got done watching a boat loads of vids I recorded against a masher. There was no rhyme or reason behind the f d df punches, anytime I would touch him a mashed dp would come out.

Is there a particular reason why some of you do this? Not only is it a shitty online tactic, but it just looks horrible. Yes, that is debatable (only by the mashers though), but is my honest opinion. When you win a round with a mashed dp through a block string, do you legitimately think you are good or feel good about winning that round in general? Personally, I hate winning in such a manner.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. I am trying to be a more sensitive, understanding Stang! IT IS THE TRUTH. Just looking for some insight for those who use this tactic.

EDIT

I JUST GOT 115 POINTS!!! Haha.

#2 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

casual street fighter players i guess, who don't commit enough to learn a moveset but still like playing fighting games

#3 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

It's easy to mash something and hope they miss a link so it's an insta-punish. It's completely unearned, but it's easy and it makes for easy damage.

#4 Posted by jaycee13 (523 posts) -

damnit i hate mashers! You think they wont be stupid enough to mash after the 6th time you've caught them out and they still do it!
@Stang said:

but it just looks horrible.
beauty is the only true thing in this world..... I think thats the line.

#5 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@cap123: Good point, I should have prefaced the post better. This is aimed at those who play regularly.

@Napalm: Word. I think it is a mentality thing also. I prepare myself for offline competition, so mashing is out of the question. Besides that, I feel there is a level of respect that goes into it. Mashers have no respect for their opponent. 

I know I am going to get called out on the respect thing.
#6 Posted by Mr_Faraday (241 posts) -

Its casual playing, not everybody wants to be the best at the game. Some people just like to have some fun and fight people.
#7 Posted by yakov456 (1918 posts) -

People hate button smashers because they make you look foolish for wasting so much time "perfecting" your characters moves. The fighting game crowd is a close second to the Online FPS crowd in terms of ego. By the way, I'm not a button smasher.

#8 Posted by Necrotrophic (261 posts) -

dps have those invincible frames during the start up, and it becomes a crutch. They cant explain it, its just a reaction. just like constant jumping. 

people who try and get good at the game think of the game as ground control, footsies etc
they think the game is about hitting the other guy a lot, so always try and hit.

a lot of casual fighting game fans tend to prefer games with nearly endless combos, or just ridiculous stuff like mvc.

then you got certain characters that arent very good online, which is most of the cast in my opinion. so only a few characters get picked a lot, and only certain moves get used.

#9 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@yakov456 said:
" People hate button smashers because they make you look foolish for wasting so much time "perfecting" your characters moves. The fighting game crowd is a close second to the Online FPS crowd in terms of ego. By the way, I'm not a button smasher. "
Whaaaa? It has nothing to do with making a person look foolish. It is just a horrible strategy that leaves you wide open to anybody with a few brain cells. Offline it is a death sentence, and will most definitely lead to a ko if your opponent has functioning ears.

And what with ego? Nobody here has an ego, and we have a handful of beasts. I guess they all inhabit srk, where being an asshole is encouraged.
#10 Posted by Spiral_Stars (456 posts) -

A lot of players regress to button mashing when under pressure. It's just how we roll.

#11 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@Spiral_Stars: Good point. I don't mash under pressure, I resort to gimmicks. Typically fish for an air cross up ex tatsu so I can get an easy ultra. In the end it usually gets me in trouble just like a masher :/ 

Damn I quick with the replies. IM ON FIRE.
#12 Posted by GoranP (1117 posts) -

Some people find it fun, some people can't handle pressure, some people are just dicking around, some people don't have the skill.

A friend of mine mashed through almost all of Tekken (forgot the subtitle) for PSP and had a blast.

#13 Posted by Shadow (4988 posts) -

With online fighters, the tactics don't matter as long as you win.  Just because your way of playing is harder to pull off, that doesn't make it better.

#14 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@GoranP: Tekken mashing is not the same. That can be compared to people who mash their strings, like I used to do when I pushed jab 3 times instead of two when I did my short jab jab srk combo. I don't see why that would bother anybody except the person trying to do their combo, it is only hurting their execution.
#15 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -

well if it wins them a round against a pretty good player, then its not all bad. Alot of people who are mashing are either new or not that into fighting games. Its not that they are bad people or disrespectful or anything like that. They are just into fighting games enough to play them but they want to be able to play many other types of video games as well, so they never dedicate themselves to really learning the characters.  I think this is fine, myself. They are the fodder of the online scene and the pro players need some people they can beat down to feel good about themselves.

#16 Posted by Ben_H (3408 posts) -

I don't understand the tactic.  It seems so inaccurate.  But then again I'm kind of a minimalist; especially when I play as Guile.

I need  to get back into Street Fighter.  Gotta brush up for SSF4.

#17 Posted by Pessh (2460 posts) -

Someone please explain SF mashing to me =(

#18 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1484 posts) -

I don't mash, but when I notice someone miss a link, I make a note of it and next time they go for it? Got an EX messiah kick waiting for them.

#19 Edited by Stang (4726 posts) -
@Supermarius: Yeah, like I mentioned earlier, I should have prefaced the post better. I mashed dp's all day long when I began playing, but dropped that nonsense when I became more accustomed to the game. Now I just don't do it, ever. 

@Ben_H: That is why I respect people who main charge characters. They know they could have an easy reversal with a shoto, but don't go that route. I like that. I would prefer to play the worst Guile all day then A Ryu/Sagat/Rufus/Ken/Akuma/Sakura/Dan (missing anybody?) who has put hundreds of hours into the game and still mashes like it is going out of style.
#20 Posted by GoranP (1117 posts) -
@Stang said:
" @GoranP: Tekken mashing is not the same. That can be compared to people who mash their strings, like I used to do when I pushed jab 3 times instead of two when I did my short jab jab srk combo. I don't see why that would bother anybody except the person trying to do their combo, it is only hurting their execution. "
This dude was literally just pushing random buttons. I wanted to nerdrage every time I saw him play.
#21 Posted by dan168 (40 posts) -
@Stang: hey is your XBL Da Stang??? i think i played a random player match with you... i was like HOLY SHIT is this Stang from GB?!?!?! ahaha
#22 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -
@Stang: You say you don't like mashing and don't get any sense of achievement from a win when you do so but a few times in your videos when you're down and being beaten quite badly (it happens to everyone, sometimes your opponenent will make many uncanny lucky guesses in the course of a match) you go "fuck it I'm mashing". Do you rather get the win unsportingly then conceede and let the win go to your opponenent, which he would of got had you not mashed at the end due to frustration?

@OwnlyUzinWonHan said:
" I don't mash, but when I notice someone miss a link, I make a note of it and next time they go for it? Got an EX messiah kick waiting for them. "

This is exactaly what I do. I actualy find it hugely satisfying finding a weak spot in someone's link and then doing a single reversal motion and getting the reversal. I think that stuff is super earned and respectable and I never get angry if someone does it. The problem is you can't tell if someone's picked the 3 frames where he thinks your link is most likely to be weakest and slips in an SRK or what have you or if some berk is just mashing a million SRKs the second he sees someone combo 2 jabs against him.

To be honest, as long as the connection is very good (a good 4 or 5 bar) I don't so much have a problem with mashers because then I go "Ok, my fault, I need to work on that link or use something less damaging but easier to do". It's when it's the connection that lets me down and someone mashes through, that's what annoys me, but I guess that's the rules you agree to when you join a laggy match. It sucks but it's not gunna stop happening unless Capcom do the right thing and massively tighted reversal windows and make them more like SSFIITHDR where you had to time it right or you'd eat it harder then if you had just kept blocking.

It also doesn't help that if your opponent has 2 bars he can do a mashed reversal with no risk whatsoever. If he hits, he FADC to ultra for massive damage and if it's blocked he FADCs for throw or whatever. It's too much reward for too little effort/skill/risk.

Anyways, whatever.
#23 Edited by jaycee13 (523 posts) -
@dan168: It would be soooo funny if it was you on said video being all unclean and mashing.
#24 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@dan168: Yup, that be me. Dan168.....I want to say you are a Ryu, am I close? If that is your Live tag, I know I have played you. It might have been G1. 

Let's get some games in soon.....if you aren't a masher :)
#25 Posted by Pessh (2460 posts) -
@Stang: Get a PS3
#26 Edited by Stang (4726 posts) -
@Scooper: Oh lord. I mash, what, once every million games (I probably have 85 trillion games played at this point)? The times I have done it in my vids was against friends, and I even say when I am about to do it! Judging me on the most casual of games when I make my motives apparent is not cool. Shit, even in my drunken ass slop games from last night I did not mash at all. 

If I sat here bitching about mashers, and did it regularly, then you can call me out. That won't happen though.
#27 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -
@Stang: I didn't call you out to say you did it regularly. I said you mash sometimes when you're frustrated. I don't think I blew it out of proportion in any ways. It's not like you mash during regular games, I know you don't. Very commendable.
#28 Posted by dan168 (40 posts) -
@Stang: Dyce168 ahahaha and yes i could be the masher... i do guess alot of w/ dash in DP's... basically if its not  someone i know... i go 100% offense and pretty much everything i do is unsafe to some degree like tons of random jump ins... and fierce hurricane kicks for no good reason.
#29 Edited by Stang (4726 posts) -
@dan168: Dash dp's aren't my idea of mashing, I meant more along the lines of jab jab INTERRUPTION BITCH EAT MY SRK!!! Do you by chance use Sakura? I will go kick somebody off my Live list and add you tomorrow.

@Scooper: My bad Scoop. I have mashed more against you then everybody on Live combined, so I am over stepping a bit. My bad for acting douchey.

WHY ARE YOU SO GODLIKE IN LAG GUILE?????
#30 Posted by JJWeatherman (14562 posts) -
@Stang said:
" I am curious. I just got done watching a boat loads of vids I recorded against a masher. There was no rhyme or reason behind the f d df punches, anytime I would touch him a mashed dp would come out.  Is there a particular reason why some of you do this? Not only is it a shitty online tactic, but it just looks horrible. Yes, that is debatable (only by the mashers though), but is my honest opinion. When you win a round with a mashed dp through a block string, do you legitimately think you are good or feel good about winning that round in general? Personally, I hate winning in such a manner.  Your thoughts would be appreciated. I am trying to be a more sensitive, understanding Stang! IT IS THE TRUTH. Just looking for some insight for those who use this tactic.  EDIT  I JUST GOT 115 POINTS!!! Haha. "
Just so you know, as someone who really isn't way into fighting games but plays them sometimes, I have nooo idea what you are even talking about. You gotta realize that only a very small percentage of people take fighting games super seriously. For the rest of us, it's just about jumping around and throwing a bunch of fireballs or whatever. I'm sure you hate me for not knowing how to string moves together but I imagine at least half of the people that play Street Fighter are just playing it to jump around and have goofy fun. But you don't have to listen to a word I just typed, as I probably sound like a moron to you. Just thought I would try to shed a little light on how a blissfully ignorant fighting gamer thinks.  :P
#31 Posted by dan168 (40 posts) -
@Stang: nope i use ryu and balrog mostly if i wanna have fun and play around i use rufus and akuma... everyone else i can barely use lol
#32 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1112 posts) -

Really Stang? Really? You of all people shouldn't be asking a question like this.

#33 Posted by Brake (1117 posts) -

Dude, mashing is god tier tactics. Just check out these two pros showing some high level mind games:

#34 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@JJWeatherman: You don't sound ignorant at all. This was aimed towards people who play the game regularly, not to the casual player. 

@dan168: Cool, I need work with Rog and Rufus!

@SpecialBuddy: Shut up scrub. 

I AM LEGIT NOW SON. One day I woke up and it all came together. I play a lot more offline now, and truly understand what you guys mean about timing. After I adapt, my links are solid.
#35 Edited by Progman9000 (258 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:

" @Stang said:

" I am curious. I just got done watching a boat loads of vids I recorded against a masher. There was no rhyme or reason behind the f d df punches, anytime I would touch him a mashed dp would come out.  Is there a particular reason why some of you do this? Not only is it a shitty online tactic, but it just looks horrible. Yes, that is debatable (only by the mashers though), but is my honest opinion. When you win a round with a mashed dp through a block string, do you legitimately think you are good or feel good about winning that round in general? Personally, I hate winning in such a manner.  Your thoughts would be appreciated. I am trying to be a more sensitive, understanding Stang! IT IS THE TRUTH. Just looking for some insight for those who use this tactic.  EDIT  I JUST GOT 115 POINTS!!! Haha. "
Just so you know, as someone who really isn't way into fighting games but plays them sometimes, I have nooo idea what you are even talking about. You gotta realize that only a very small percentage of people take fighting games super seriously. For the rest of us, it's just about jumping around and throwing a bunch of fireballs or whatever. I'm sure you hate me for not knowing how to string moves together but I imagine at least half of the people that play Street Fighter are just playing it to jump around and have goofy fun. But you don't have to listen to a word I just typed, as I probably sound like a moron to you. Just thought I would try to shed a little light on how a blissfully ignorant fighting gamer thinks.  :P "
I would just like to second what you said.  I love Street Fighter and I can't wait to get my hands on SSF4, but I already know I'll be lousy at it, because I've always been a lousy Street Fighter player.  From the time I was a little kid playing it at the local Pizza joint, to last weekend when I played some HDRemix online.  Would I like to win against people who are actually good at the game?  Sure.  Will it happen?  Probably not, because the only combo I can do effectively is that generic jump in then fireball thing. So if I mash, it's not because I think it's hilarious or that it's a viable tactic, it's because the other person totally outclasses me and I have no idea how to combat what they're doing.  *shrug*

[EDIT!!!11!]
Just saw that this thread wasn't really aimed at people like me.  I'll leave my two cents anyways.
#36 Edited by QuietAlien (174 posts) -

PANIC.

#37 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@ChineseTea said:

" Dude, mashing is god tier tactics. Just check out these two pros showing some high level mind games:

"

I am the red Ken, I changed my name out of shame.
#38 Posted by Dark_Jon (581 posts) -

They think the faster you press the buttons the faster you attack. I seriously saw some guys that were pounding nonstop. Funny thing is half the time they were both at the edges of the screen. Not only were they going to break those nice TE sticks, it looked horrible.

#39 Edited by PureRok (4236 posts) -

I don't know if I mash. I just constantly roll the stick around with my right hand and press kick (maybe punch if I feel like mixing things up) when I think I'll be able to hit the person with my Spiral Arrow/Cannon Strike/Cannon Spike/Hooligan Combo/Spinning Backfist. I don't know if that's mashing per se, but I generally don't have any rhyme or reason as to why I do things. It's not like I plan ahead, or really think about anything, really.

I'm 100% reflex and instinc', baby.

Edit: On the question of whether or not I care about how I win: I don't. If I win that's all that matters. The end justifies the means.

#40 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@jaycee13 said:
" damnit i hate mashers! You think they wont be stupid enough to mash after the 6th time you've caught them out and they still do it!
@Stang said:
but it just looks horrible.
beauty is the only true thing in this world..... I think thats the line. "
 It's "Beauty is truth, truth beauty"

from "Ode On a Grecian Urn" by the English poet 'whose name is writ in water' (it's on his headstone) John Keats.
#41 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@PureRok: Next time we play (if ever) I will let you know if you are mashing :p

You play cross handed or something similar don't you?
#42 Edited by jaycee13 (523 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow:
I love john keats, to autumn and all that but I was actually attempting to quote Vega.
#43 Posted by PureRok (4236 posts) -
@Stang said:

" @PureRok: Next time we play (if ever) I will let you know if you are mashing :p  You play cross handed or something similar don't you? "

Yea, I cross my hands. I find doing combos difficult, so rather than attempt any, I just roll my stick and do hit-and-run stuff.

My favorite thing to do is to Spiral Arrow toward (not hit) a grappler character and then throw them. I try to throw grapplers as much as possible, as I find the idea of little ol' Cammy slamming these men headfirst repeatedly into the ground hilarious.
#44 Edited by Jeffsekai (7049 posts) -
@Scooper said:

@OwnlyUzinWonHan said:

" I don't mash, but when I notice someone miss a link, I make a note of it and next time they go for it? Got an EX messiah kick waiting for them. "
This is exactaly what I do. I actualy find it hugely satisfying finding a weak spot in someone's link and then doing a single reversal motion and getting the reversal. I think that stuff is super earned and respectable and I never get angry if someone does it.
I do this, but with Blanka's Ultra its fun. I also apply this to my wake-up game more when I am playing seriously. I won't do any wake-up Ultra's the whole match or even a few games so they will get comfortable throwing out a limb, then I just start doing Ultra's and generally the match has been going on long enough that they can't break the habit. :D The one time I did this the guy said to me after "It's okay man  you will stop doing wake-up Ultra's soon." so he didn't even realize what he was doing I guess.

Sometimes I mash mostly because im not paying attention, just hitting random buttons when I should just be sitting there oh well. Happens a lot with Blankas EX and Chun's Legs when i am trying to do the downback lp lk OS. I don't mean to do it and generally when it comes out I feel bad :(
#45 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -
@Pessh said:
" Someone please explain SF mashing to me =( "
Me too.
#46 Posted by Creamypies (4088 posts) -

I mash buttons because the only time I play fighting games is when I'm round a mates house... and if I don't mash... I get utterly destroyed.

#47 Posted by Jeffsekai (7049 posts) -
@dbz1995 said:
" @Pessh said:
" Someone please explain SF mashing to me =( "
Me too. "
It's when someone is hitting you and while they are hitting you, you are hitting a button and moving the stick around to try to get a Uppercut out or some other move to try to reversal(hit) them.
#48 Posted by MikkaQ (10330 posts) -

Well it's for people who don't know how to play the game, it's that simple. Not everyone cares enough to learn all the moves, especially in SF where everything is pretty complicated.  

If I mash, I mash efficiently, I don't flail around, I know a lot of general movements and button combinations that churn out attacks and combos in pretty much any fighting game, so when I'm new, I gotta do that to have a shot at winning. 

#49 Edited by Jeffsekai (7049 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:

" Well it's for people who don't know how to play the game, it's that simple. Not everyone cares enough to learn all the moves, especially in SF where everything is pretty complicated.   If I mash, I mash efficiently, I don't flail around, I know a lot of general movements and button combinations that churn out attacks and combos in pretty much any fighting game, so when I'm new, I gotta do that to have a shot at winning.  "

JR knows how to play the game, and he mashes all the time.  It has nothing to do with being bad at the game most of the time.
#50 Posted by Heartbreak (288 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" Well it's for people who don't know how to play the game, it's that simple. Not everyone cares enough to learn all the moves, especially in SF where everything is pretty complicated.   If I mash, I mash efficiently, I don't flail around, I know a lot of general movements and button combinations that churn out attacks and combos in pretty much any fighting game, so when I'm new, I gotta do that to have a shot at winning.  "
I did it cause I didn't know how to play Ibuki while on GGPO, not gonna be assed to look for instructions on the internet for the round. 

But it was ok, cause I lost.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.