Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

My Thoughts On Guile

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By napalm

So, after playing roughly five hours today, and using Guile, I can say he feels a little different. No, that's not sarcasm. His adjustments are very tiny, and some of them are really non existent. Let me break down some things I like, don't like, and generally observed:

• Flash Explosion does HUGE damage, and most of it comes from the final Flash Kick. It finally feels like the comeback Ultra it should have been in IV. However, it's still wonky to use and easy to whiff.
    • Reduced Sonic Boom charges are practically non existent. You can compete with Ryu, or Sagat in fireball wars a little better, but you'll still eventually lose out unless you throw an EX or two. Applying pressure isn't any different with the Sonic Boom as it was in IV.
    • Sonic Hurricane is a nice change of pace from Guile's U1. It does super fast damage, and a lot of the time I caught a shoto right after a fireball and was able to score the full damage. Even if you don't hit your opponent on the first hit or two, it still does decent damage to really take them down.
    • Flash Kick seems to move slightly more vertical, though it still gets stuffed and trades with shoto's j.FK.
    • EX Flash Kick does more damage it seems, as well.
    • c.LP > c.MP > Flash Kick/Sonic Boom still feels like a one frame link, because I still can't do it, and the timing is still too strict for me to do from a j.FK.
    • c.MK seems to come out a little faster and go farther. Footsies seem less like a pain in the ass for Guile this time around.
    • df.FK is just as weird as it was in IV. It moves way too fast to be practical as an anti air, so it's easy to whiff. However, they seem to juggle a little higher than in IV, so attaching a normal or a Flash Kick on the end is practical, when you can land the move right. I also noticed it trades with some moves as well, but I didn't try to attach a move after the trade.
    • Spinning Backfist is shortened in range as well.
    • Down + Taunt = Epic Aviators. I approve.

Guile really doesn't feel all that different than he did in IV, except for some damage buffs to some of his moves and a new Ultra that's a bit different. Regardless, I'm still early on in Super IV, so I may discover some new things or get used to others.
    copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By copycatzen

I am getting anxious to play Guile, my copy has not arrived yet    =(

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By lordofultima
    • He has sunglasses

/thread
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Scooper

So down plus taunt how is that doing.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Jeffsekai

So he has sunglasses?

Aljosa15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Aljosa15

The sunglasses thing would be the greatest mechanic ever if it can cancel into an ultra.

TheLastNeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By TheLastNeo
    @lordofultima said:
    "
    • He has sunglasses

/thread
    "

LOL... Genius
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By napalm
    @lordofultima said:
    "
    • He has sunglasses

/thread
    "
    Already on the list, bro.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Sooty

A lot of hype was generated because Daigo played him but really that match versus Justin Wong looked like a vanilla SFIV game with slightly less damage from Rufus.

Guile is improved but unfortunately not quite enough. \o/

Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lilbigsupermario

In my opinion, I think Guile's reduced sonic boom charge has a big impact when using Guile.  Yeah, you won't win in a fireball-sonicboom exchange coz it's still a charge projectile, but it does allow you to throw more sonic booms in your attacks.  I'm not really sure, but when I use Guile, I notice how effective the charge reduction did for throwing sonic booms hehehe!  And I agree that the changes with Guile are not that big, but I can see that he is definitely better now compared to SF4.  And I still hate doing his Ultra 1, it's such a pain LOL! :)

mrjared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mrjared
    @Napalm said:
    • c.LP > c.MP > Flash Kick/Sonic Boom still feels like a one frame link, because I still can't do it, and the timing is still too strict for me to do from a j.FK.
    Wat. Just plink it. It's super easy now. Way easier than say, Dee Jay's c.LP xx c.MP or Chun's s.LP xx s.HP.
    Avatar image for keystone_yinzer
    Keystone_Yinzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Keystone_Yinzer
    @lilbigsupermario: haha yeah ultra 1 is still a tricky bitch that requires a lot of practice before you can reliably pull it off in a match. Still, nothing like pulling it off with the sunglasses on so you get a nice sweet close-up before flash kicking your opponent into oblivion. Ex sonic-booms move so fast and hit twice so I have already seen it catch the unprepared Ryu or Ken because they are not expecting the speed and the fact that it will cancel their fireball and then hit them. 

Also he has different sunglasses for his new alternative outfit. Awesome.
    copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By copycatzen

It feels to me that his normals make more damage, plus the new ultra is way more easy to do... and wayyyyyy more usefull. I am feeling the difference.. all I need now is the freaking stick

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.