Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Official Beginners Thread

Avatar image for skullcrushermountain
    SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@Stang:  One of my problems, as a new player, is I tend to get antsy and start jumping in to try to do something, and I get punished.  

Here's another question: What can you do when you get crumpled or knocked down, and the opponent is standing over you, charging focus?  I had a couple matches that I got walloped by a guy timing a perfect focus attack, and I could never pull of fierce shoryuken.  Halp!
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#302  Edited By Stang
    @SkullcrusherMountain: Haha, that is one of the oldest tactics in the book. Most of the time they cancel and backdash, hoping you will srk so they get a free punish. Reacting to this situation comes with experience, after a while you get a feel for if they are in fact going to go through with the focus attack or try and bait you. I would either backdash on wakeup, or if you are confident they are going to use a FA, use a fierce dp, but make sure you have meter so you cancel if something weird happens but you happen to touch them some how.

Feel free to send me an invite some time. We can get some games in and maybe and I can help you learn a thing or two.
    SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Stang: That'd be awesome.  I really appreciate it.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304  Edited By Stang
    @SkullcrusherMountain: If you are tonight, we can play. I will be on around 5 pm pst. GT is Da Stang.
    SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Stang: 
    I should be on around that time.  I just sent you a friend request.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306  Edited By Stang
    @SkullcrusherMountain: 

My list is full, if you could send me a message and when I get on I will kick somebody and then send you one.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307  Edited By napalm
    @Stang said:
    " @SkullcrusherMountain:   My list is full, if you could send me a message and when I get on I will kick somebody and then send you one. "
    If you kick me, I'm going to shank you. IRL.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#308  Edited By Pessh

Any Chun players (excluding Jared) on GB? switching from Rog and could use some help

Avatar image for thelegendofluke
    TheLegendofLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#309  Edited By TheLegendofLuke

I went into Ken's trials so I could learn to put down the flowchart and got to 16, where it asks me to do some stuff then FADC between a Lshoryuken and his U1. I understand how to do this, but I didn't try because I'm not fully comfortable with FADC.  

Instead, I just sat using it like normal training trying to FADC between the shoryuken and U1. From left to right, I can dash out of the focus fine, but then getting a move out in time becomes a problem, from right to left I tend not to hold the focus for long enough for me to dash out (I'm finding it awkward dashing that way anyway because my thumb doesn't want to move the analogue stick that way), and when I do manage to do it, I usually mash out an EX-shoryuken. Is there any advice anyone can give or is it just a case of sit down and grind it until I can do it 9 times out of 10?

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#310  Edited By s10129107
    @TheLegendofLuke:   when i was first learning this i would panic and just mashing.  The way i finally started consistanly nailing it is by breaking it apart.  I first planned out the motion of doing a shoryuken with focus and dash and did it a bunch without the screen even being on.  Then i practiced that until i was able to do it 100%.  Then i practiced a bunch dashing into the super.  I did this a whole lot and thought connecting the two would be easy.  But it wasnt, haha - but i got it eventually.  You just have to make it mechanical and not get excited when you land the first part successfully. 
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311  Edited By Scooper
    @TheLegendofLuke: Sadly the only way to do it is to practice like a bitch until it becomes muscle memory and you can do it without thinking. Breaking it apart like the other guy said is also a really good way to learn it faster.
    TheLegendofLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312  Edited By TheLegendofLuke
    @s10129107:  @Scooper:

Ok, thanks guys. I'll give it a proper go tomorrow. I think dashing into the ultra is the main problem, so I'll split it up and try just doing that for a bit before attempting the whole thing.
    SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Stang: I'm on if you are/
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314  Edited By Stang
    @Napalm: Why, you have kicked me off your list like twice.

@TheLegendofLuke: Ken's fadc ultra has the strictest timing out of everybody, so on the bright side once you learn his, you will be good to go with everybody.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315  Edited By Stang
    @SkullcrusherMountain: I will be back on in an hour, send a message so I remember to add you. I will not remember otherwise.
    TheLegendofLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#316  Edited By TheLegendofLuke
    @Stang: Huh, maybe I should try it with some others first. Try and ease myself in.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317  Edited By Stang
    @TheLegendofLuke: Start with Ryu, you have about  17 hours to ultra after an fadc with him.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318  Edited By napalm
    @Stang said:
    " @Napalm: Why, you have kicked me off your list like twice. "
    FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU
    SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Stang: Thanks for the help, bro.  If anyone wants to spar, my xbl handle is MT Skullcrusher.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#320  Edited By sixghost

Does anyone know a good way to follow up Makoto's forward throw? It leaves the opponent so damn far away and doesn't knockdown. To get in range for everything other than a hayate I have to dash forward first, which usually ends up in me getting pounded or being too late.

Using backthrow isn't an option because you can't kara it. If there's no good follow-up should I just not use it? It's a pretty safe way to follow a hayate, and the damage isn't awful.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#321  Edited By napalm
    @sixghost said:
    "

Does anyone know a good way to follow up Makoto's forward throw? It leaves the opponent so damn far away and doesn't knockdown. To get in range for everything other than a hayate I have to dash forward first, which usually ends up in me getting pounded or being too late.

Using backthrow isn't an option because you can't kara it. If there's no good follow-up should I just not use it? It's a pretty safe way to follow a hayate, and the damage isn't awful.

"
    We don't have a lot of super specific talk regarding characters (except for a few), so you might be better off hitting up Shoryuken and looking at the Makoto forum.
    v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#322  Edited By v

i'm thinking of getting into a charge character... in your opinion, who is the better of these two: Balrog or Bison? 

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#323  Edited By sixghost
    @Napalm said:
    " @sixghost said:
    "

"
    We don't have a lot of super specific talk regarding characters (except for a few), so you might be better off hitting up Shoryuken and looking at the Makoto forum. "
    Can you think of anyway to kara a backthrow? I read on the srk makoto forum that it was possible. I'm using f+lk for the kara fyi.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#324  Edited By Jadeskye

I havn't played a street fighter game since 1997 (man where did the years go?!). I currently own an xbox 360 and i'm considering buying super street fighter 4. Is the Xbox 360 controller up to snuff for it? Having used the Dpad for going on 5 years now i'm worried it'll lead to an expensive investment in a fight stick. 

Anyone got an opinion on that for me? =)

Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#325  Edited By Gambit
    @jadeskye:  The 360 controller can be used but I would suggest a fightpad you can get one on amazon for about 30 dollars and the d-pad is great and it has 6 face buttons.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#326  Edited By Scooper
    @jadeskye: If you remember playing fighting games on a D-Pad and that's what you're most comfortable with then get a fightpad. If you were one of those guys who likes using analog sticks the 360 thumbstick is absolutely fine.

My advice is to grab a Fightpad, they're very cheap now and there's alot of different charcter art you can have on them so you can get one with your favourite character on it.
    Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#327  Edited By Jambones
    @jadeskye: Yeah, go with a fight pad. They look like the Japanese Saturn pads, and those were great. I shelled out for a stick and I love it: it reminds me of the good old days, playing SF in the arcade... but that doesn't mean it'll make me good at the game. It's just what you are comfortable with.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#328  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Gambit: @Scooper: @Jambones: Thanks for the advice chaps!
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#329  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @lordofultima: I went back to watch your OS 3 min video, and in it you cover safe jumping but you never show what the input looks like. If you could explain the input that would be cool :D 

Also (This ones for anyone who knows) theres a Blanka OS that is jp.RH OS Coward Crouch (down +PPP) just wondering how I would do the input for this. 
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#330  Edited By Pessh
    @V: Depends on your play style, Rog's easier cause you can turtle
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#331  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @lordofultima: I went back to watch your OS 3 min video, and in it you cover safe jumping but you never show what the input looks like. If you could explain the input that would be cool :D  Also (This ones for anyone who knows) theres a Blanka OS that is jp.RH OS Coward Crouch (down +PPP) just wondering how I would do the input for this.  "
    Safe jumping is just jumping in with a hard kick or something and the input is exactly as it sounds. The big trick is to get the timing down so that it acts like a meaty and you land immediately so you are safe, the meaty will stuff most reversals so their only option is to block correctly and guess what you will follow up with. 
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " @lordofultima: I went back to watch your OS 3 min video, and in it you cover safe jumping but you never show what the input looks like. If you could explain the input that would be cool :D  Also (This ones for anyone who knows) theres a Blanka OS that is jp.RH OS Coward Crouch (down +PPP) just wondering how I would do the input for this.  "
    Safe jumping is just jumping in with a hard kick or something and the input is exactly as it sounds. The big trick is to get the timing down so that it acts like a meaty and you land immediately so you are safe, the meaty will stuff most reversals so their only option is to block correctly and guess what you will follow up with.  "
    :D
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#333  Edited By napalm
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @StaticFalconar said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    Safe jumping is just jumping in with a hard kick or something and the input is exactly as it sounds. The big trick is to get the timing down so that it acts like a meaty and you land immediately so you are safe, the meaty will stuff most reversals so their only option is to block correctly and guess what you will follow up with.  "
    :D "
    I'd also like to mention... fuckers. Goddamnit! There's a safe jump possible against Guile that allows you to hit him on Sonic Boom recovery. I'm glad you brought this up, fuckers. God damn it! These motherfuckers, I've been trying ti figur. fuck!
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#334  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Napalm said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " @StaticFalconar said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    I'd also like to mention... fuckers. Goddamnit! There's a safe jump possible against Guile that allows you to hit him on Sonic Boom recovery. I'm glad you brought this up, fuckers. God damn it! These motherfuckers, I've been trying ti figur. fuck! "
    Theres a way to OS flash kick into throw so if they block or try to counter hit throw comes out. something like that. go look into that
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#335  Edited By sixghost
    @Napalm said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " @StaticFalconar said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    I'd also like to mention... fuckers. Goddamnit! There's a safe jump possible against Guile that allows you to hit him on Sonic Boom recovery. I'm glad you brought this up, fuckers. God damn it! These motherfuckers, I've been trying ti figur. fuck! "
    This is probably to most basic charge character question ever, but is it possible to charge both down and back at the same time? It seems really hard with a controller.
    Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#336  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan
    @sixghost:  Yep, I found the most challenging thing about charge characters is resetting back to holding down or back after a jump or dash kind of move.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#337  Edited By napalm
    @OwnlyUzinWonHan: I've always used charge characters so that shit is second nature to me. Shit like charge partitioning is a whole different story.
    loldetaerleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#338  Edited By loldetaerleo

Partitioning aint in IV though.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#339  Edited By napalm
    @loldetaerleo said:
    " Partitioning aint in IV though. "
    Uh, yes it is. Ever heard of Gilley? Seek out his videos on YouTube. He has a whole section dedicated to charge partitioning.
    loldetaerleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#340  Edited By loldetaerleo

Buffering is in IV partitioning aint, partitioning is breaking up a charge up into two smaller charges.

Gilley shows buffering E.G. getting more time spent charging because of input leniency.

AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#341  Edited By AniMoney
    @loldetaerleo said:
    " Buffering is in IV partitioning aint, partitioning is breaking up a charge up into two smaller charges. Gilley shows buffering E.G. getting more time spent charging because of input leniency. "
    Yep, right on the money. I'm glad charge partitioning isn't in this game or else this game would be even more execution heavy. Like go try to play urien in 3s, that shit is so unintuitive.
    mark2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#342  Edited By mark2000

Could someone please give me advice on how to play on 'Hardest' while using Juri? It's just that the more I try to brute force my way through it, the more I feel like this whole single-player thing is simply about exploiting AI weaknesses on something that can counter my every move by the millisecond rather than pulling off good combos and mix ups.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#343  Edited By napalm
    @loldetaerleo said:
    " Buffering is in IV partitioning aint, partitioning is breaking up a charge up into two smaller charges. Gilley shows buffering E.G. getting more time spent charging because of input leniency. "
    My bad. I thought partitioning/buffering was always used interchangeably. Also, if you're talking to somebody, @quote them so they know you responded to them.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#344  Edited By sixghost
    @mark2000 said:
    " Could someone please give me advice on how to play on 'Hardest' while using Juri? It's just that the more I try to brute force my way through it, the more I feel like this whole single-player thing is simply about exploiting AI weaknesses on something that can counter my every move by the millisecond rather than pulling off good combos and mix ups. "
    Why are you playing the single player in a fighting game? Anyway, I've always found the CPU focus attacks way too much, just do moves that break focus, and throw a lot. The computer blows and countering tick throws.
    Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#345  Edited By Renahzor
    @mark2000: 

Playing hardest CPU is all about reading the computer pattern.  it cheats.  You cannot mix them up, you cant play mind games, you can't fake input to bait stuff, all you can do is watch and see how they react to each thing you do, it will react the same way almost every time, and you punish that.
    Fierrze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#346  Edited By Fierrze

Would you guys recommend this game for someone who would like to play fighting games for shit and giggles from time to time, or is this game only for the super HC crowd and should i consider some other game?

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#347  Edited By Scooper
    @Fierrze said:
    " Would you guys recommend this game for someone who would like to play fighting games for shit and giggles from time to time, or is this game only for the super HC crowd and should i consider some other game? "
    If you wanna play it against some mates or just against the computer then it's great. If you wanna play online though against random people and still win then you won't do so well unless you play alot. It's a cheap game so it's still worth buying if you only wanna play against friends every now and then.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#348  Edited By Pessh
    @Fierrze: If there's other dudes you know that would play for shits and giggles then sure, anyone can throw a fireball. If you're thinking about going online against randoms, its more cursing/smashing than shits/giggles.
    Fierrze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#349  Edited By Fierrze

Thanks for the quick replies! I think i'm gonna get it. Now i just need to get another PS3 controller :)

mark2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#350  Edited By mark2000
    @Renahzor: Thanks for the tip. Are there any Juri specific moves that are good for countering the CPU or should I just do the usual BnBs whenever the CPU gives an opening?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.