Ranked mode character usage statistics

#1 Edited by mubress (1517 posts) -

I FUCKING KNEW IT! IT'S OFFICIAL! Rufus is the most exclusive online character. So if you hate playing mirror matches then Rufus is your man :) 

Stolen from eventhubs
 
UPDATE:
 

Latest usage stats 
#2 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

Some of those are actually pretty surprising. Rufus for one. He's a great character; didn't expect so few to actually use him.

#3 Posted by jaycee13 (523 posts) -

I agree with the top 8 but Rufus bottom? In my experience Honda, El Fuerte, Gen and Sakura are bottom.

#4 Posted by lilbigsupermario (840 posts) -

I think Fei Long and Dee Jay should be at the bottom of the list, I don't see that many users of Fei and Deejay.  But I do agree with Gen and C. Viper getting listed at the bottom.

#5 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -

People play Rufus because of Jwong, they suck so then they stop

#6 Posted by Baillie (4025 posts) -

I see a lot more Sakuras and Makotos. Recently 10000x more guiles. Less Sagats.

#7 Posted by Symphony (1912 posts) -

Interesting sample, though 4000 matches would account for less than 1% of all online games played, so those numbers could charge drastically if there were a way to find a much, much larger data sample. But still it gives a general idea of which characters are played the most/least and that's pretty neat that the eventhub people took the time to do that.

#8 Posted by mubress (1517 posts) -
@jaycee13: Honda, really? I seem to play him all the time and I certainly wouldn't mind playing him less :) 
 
@Baillie said:

" I see a lot more Sakuras and Makotos. Recently 10000x more guiles. Less Sagats. "

Yes, I'm very experienced with the Guile matchup now. Due to the lack of Sagat players though I find that match if anything harder than it used to be, although that's probably just because there are less scrubs using him. 
 
@GetEveryone: @Symphony:  Like the eventhubs post says it isn't the definitive answer on who the most popular characters are but it fits well with my experience at least. I almost never play mirror matches with Rufus.
#9 Posted by jaycee13 (523 posts) -
@mubress: 
I've actually played 3 hondas since the release of super. Maybe theres a different ratio in ranked games, I havnt played ranked since the first week of the games release.
#10 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

How shocking that the easiest (cheapest for your SF buck) characters to use are the top two in this list. So effing shocking.

#11 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -
@sofacitysweetheart said:
" How shocking that the easiest (cheapest for your SF buck) characters to use are the top two in this list. So effing shocking. "
and yet Bison is top 3. 
#12 Posted by Skogen (430 posts) -

Quite surprised about the middle and low sections, would have definitely guess differently for a few. I see a ton of Guys on PSN but he's still pretty low.

#13 Posted by mubress (1517 posts) -
@jaycee13 said:
" @mubress:  I've actually played 3 hondas since the release of super. Maybe theres a different ratio in ranked games, I havnt played ranked since the first week of the games release. "
Ah right, yeah the numbers are from ranked mode only so that might explain it. I'd be quite happy to not play ranked at all but I find the better players spend most of their time in it, so as a result that's where I am most of the time. 
 
I find some of the other characters % strange though, particularly Sim and Seth. I play them all the time!
#14 Posted by Disco_Godfather (16 posts) -

Yeah! El Fuerte is near the bottom, which is good. I'm not all that good at the game, so as long as people remain clueless as to how to fight back against my running menace then I will continue winning an OK number of matches.

#15 Posted by JJOR64 (18894 posts) -

I seen this last night.  Kinda surprised Rufus is at the bottom.

#16 Posted by Lukeweizer (2588 posts) -

Dan is not the top spot. This is obviously wrong. 
 

#17 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -

You stole that!

#18 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11423 posts) -

Does anyone else find it totally hilarious that Ryu is almost twice as played as his closest competitor (Ken) and almost 4 times as played as anyone below them both? Of course, I play Vega. Soo.... Not many mirror matches.

#19 Posted by Lukeweizer (2588 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater said:
" Does anyone else find it totally hilarious that Ryu is almost twice as played as his closest competitor (Ken) and almost 4 times as played as anyone below them both? Of course, I play Vega. Soo.... Not many mirror matches. "
Word to Claw.
#20 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

Those numbers seem accurate, I guess. I haven't played Street Fighter as much lately, but I would run into Ryus, Kens, and Akumas. 

#21 Posted by reruns (62 posts) -
@Symphony said:
" Interesting sample, though 4000 matches would account for less than 1% of all online games played, so those numbers could charge drastically if there were a way to find a much, much larger data sample. But still it gives a general idea of which characters are played the most/least and that's pretty neat that the eventhub people took the time to do that. "
I'm pretty sure 4000 is plenty large enough to be statistically significant in this case, but I haven't done the math myself.
#22 Posted by TheLastNeo (436 posts) -

Thats quite interesting... seems fairly accurate, I havent play a Rufus player in quite some time... 
 
Definetly alot of Guiles...  
 
and Fuck Ryu. 
 
 
Im still Guy / Sagat pretty much 50% 50% , probably be that way for a while.  (until Rolento comes around.... lol *fingers crossed* )

#23 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

It's ironic but DeeJay is the character I least see online and by a fair margin. I think I've faught 3 seperate DeeJay's in my whole time playing the game.

#24 Posted by mubress (1517 posts) -
@Scooper said:
" It's ironic but DeeJay is the character I least see online and by a fair margin. I think I've faught 3 seperate DeeJay's in my whole time playing the game. "
I've faced a total of two Deejay players in ranked mode, one of them being you. I played the other one after we had our FT5 and would have lost for sure had we not done, so thanks :)
#25 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

I believe those stats are accurate. As a Hakan player, I've only had one Mirror match since the game came out. Fought a LOT of Ryus, Kens, and Akumas. But, I've also seen quite a few Blankas, Guys, and Codys. And yes, Hakans position on the chart I feel is correct.

#26 Posted by Necrotrophic (261 posts) -

i still havent faced a single hakan in ranked but ive played everyone else a bunch. especially rufus and v ciper. its like people know my worst matchups before playing

#27 Posted by mubress (1517 posts) -

Updated character usage statistics from eventhubs

 Quoted from Eventhubs:  
Here are a few notes to mark some of the differences between the two lists.

• While Ryu remained in the top spot, the amount of people using him dropped down from 16.5% to 14.2%.

• Vega (Claw) and Cody took a nice hop in popularity, climbing the chart a bit.

• Adon took a sizable drop in the amount of times he showed up, while Balrog (Boxer) and Sagat also took a noticeable dives.

• Despite Dudley, Sakura and Juri being fairly low in the tier rankings, these three characters still have a good following online. "

 
And more importantly Rufus isn't bottom anymore. Still pretty low though :(
#28 Posted by Killroycantkill (1380 posts) -

More people use Sakura than Abel.... Well I suppose that's true since I'm the only person playing Abel online and I've been using Sakura lately LOL.

#29 Posted by mubress (1517 posts) -
@Killroycantkill said:
"

More people use Sakura than Abel.... Well I suppose that's true since I'm the only person playing Abel online and I've been using Sakura lately LOL.

"
I don't see many Abel players online now that I think of it, but I do see quite a few Sakuras. Maybe it's because she has a fireball. People love fireballs.
#30 Edited by Hansolol (353 posts) -

How hysterical is it to see how few Sagats there are now compared to vanilla?  It's not like Sagat is a completely different character in Super.  And yet, nearly his entire bandwagon has vanished online.  He's still the easiest character to use in my opinion; all you have to do is fireballs and occasionally st.rh. It's funny to think that people are watching streams at home, seeing no Sagats, and have abandoned him because to them that means he's garbage.
 
I'm shocked Honda is in the middle.  I saw a huge explosion of Hondas after some tier list put him on top.
 
Also, I think Cody's popularity can be solely attributed to how easy low jab, low jab, low strong xx criminal upper is.

#31 Posted by jaycee13 (523 posts) -
@mubress said:
" @Killroycantkill said:
"

More people use Sakura than Abel.... Well I suppose that's true since I'm the only person playing Abel online and I've been using Sakura lately LOL.

"
I don't see many Abel players online now that I think of it, but I do see quite a few Sakuras. Maybe it's because she has a fireball. People love fireballs. "
Sakura has a fireball!!!???
#32 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

DeeJay's the correct spot.

#33 Posted by Management (596 posts) -

Cody is the 8th most used character in the game? Fuck now I have to change, he is not exclusive enough.

#34 Posted by mubress (1517 posts) -
@Scooper said:
" DeeJay's the correct spot. "
Unfortunately so :( 
 
@Management said:
" Cody is the 8th most used character in the game? Fuck now I have to change, he is not exclusive enough. "
How about DeeJay? He's rare :) Plus he's getting buffs in AE edition which is DEFINITELY coming to consoles, I don't care what people say!!
#35 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
This topic is old, but I had to bump this because:  
  
@Jeffsekai
said:
" People play Rufus because of Jwong, they suck so then they stop "
I lol'd so hard.
#36 Posted by HadesTimes (802 posts) -

I guess this proves that Ken is just more annoying than Ryu not used more.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.