Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Square or Octagonal Gate?

fragor87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By fragor87

I'm thinking about modifying my stick and was wondering what the advantages were of using a square gate or an octagonal gate.  Also, which gates work best for which characters etc.?  Currently, I'm using a Madcatz SE stick.

Necrotrophic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Necrotrophic

I hate square gates. a few days ago I installed an octogate in my TE and despite the fact that I use a charge character the first thing I thought to myself when moving the stick (console off) is that it felt "fixed"

it took me about a half hour to get used to the difference in downback and now i have absolutely no issues with charging. My Hosenka is MORE accurate(chuns ultra 1) and Kikosho comes out cleanly.

the problem with square gates is finding the spots for down, forward and back. i couldnt tell you how many times i thought i was going to do a headstomp but it didnt come out. I thought my accidental jumps were because of input leniency or how the jlf is too sensitive, but for some reason switching to the octogate seems to have cleared it up.

I started to train myself to do kikosho properly with the square, and one thing i made a mental note about is to remember "that retarded feeling when you think youre down but you still have to go over some more" THEN you do the next QCF. I will admit, im a gate rider.

as for me, every single character seems easier with the octo. even guile and rog

zolloz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By zolloz89

octo gates are my favorite too, the input area's for each direction feel more equal than the square. id buy one and try it out. if you dont feel that you like it, just put the square back.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Jeffsekai

Square.

Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Dark_Jon

I've heard the square is better because when people try to block by pushing down left, it sometimes just registers as down or left and they end up not blocking. If you want to be certain you're hitting those corners a square gate is probably a good idea. My stick is still on its way but I have used sticks in the past and if the majority are square gates then I should be good.

copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By copycatzen
    @Jeffsekai said:
    "Square. "

because...?
    DeFrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DeFrank

I like square gates much better.  Especially in SFIV with the new DP shortcuts.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By killroycantkill

Triangle

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Supermarius

Square gate tends to be the way to go. They apparently have a smaller neutral area so you can use smaller faster motions. Also, the SF4 actual arcade cabinet is apparently a square gate, so if you want to play in a matter that most mimics the arcade game, you should avoid octagonal or circle gates. That way if you ever found yourself in front of a SF4 arcade machine, you would be able to play pretty normally right away.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By lordofultima

Square gate is the most logical, although people that have trouble with inputs may want to go with an octagonal gate. (I would heed my own advice but I don't like having that many edges, it feels weird). I think what would change the most is DP motion. I couldn't cancel into demonflips or do anti-air uppercuts without the square gate since I use the d/f, d, d/f shortcut.

rlhyeung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By rlhyeung

I think gate preference generally happens because someone has a history with arcades. For example, Americans used octo-gates and the Japanese used (and still use) square-gates. If you're new to arcades and arcade sticks, then you probably don't have that bias and that "comfort zone". That being said, if that is the case, you should just use what you have first and see if it REALLY is the source of any execution problems you may have. As is the norm, maybe its not the hardware but the fact that more practice is necessary. 

Also, I think most people use square gates nowadays especially in arcades, just in case you happen to be playing in arcades / using other people's sticks as well.

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    @lordofultima said:
    " Square gate is the most logical, although people that have trouble with inputs may want to go with an octagonal gate. (I would heed my own advice but I don't like having that many edges, it feels weird). I think what would change the most is DP motion. I couldn't cancel into demonflips or do anti-air uppercuts without the square gate since I use the d/f, d, d/f shortcut. "
    tut tut
    JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By JokerSmilez

I prefer the square gates as I think it trains you to not rely on the gate to get your motions down. With the octogates, I suppose it would be easier to make certain motions by riding the edge of the gate, but I believe that by getting used to a square gate you train yourself to better control.

HOWEVER, not everyone can or wants to do that. It's like saying that a professional golf ball is better because you can put more spin on it, blah blah blah, but it's a bad idea for amateurs because it's so unforgiving.

If you're ordering a Sanwa stick and buttons from Lizard Lick or something for your SE, you may as well get an Octo gate as well. They're only like $3 and you can easily change back if you don't like it.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Killroycantkill said:
    " Triangle "
    circle
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By OllyOxenFree

I changed mine into an octo gate as it feels more natural to me.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By StaticFalconar

Square gate all the way, wouldn't believe how many times I got sweeped because I couldn't find where Down back was on an octogate. Much more freedom with a square gate even for non charge characters since finding down forward is much easier to make sure a DP comes out instead of a fireball. 

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By trophyhunter

square he is a charge character your not doing quarter circles 

Stonecutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Stonecutter

Are there any retail sticks that come with an octo gate right out of the box? I hate the square gate but the idea of modding makes me hinky.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Shadow

A tricotakaidigon gate is the only way to go.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By lordofultima
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @Killroycantkill said:
    " Triangle "
    circle "
    Bummer, your ability to kill funny things is uncanny...since you know, there are circular restrictors.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @lordofultima said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " @Killroycantkill said:
    " Triangle "
    circle "
    Bummer, your ability to kill funny things is uncanny...since you know, there are circular restrictors. "
    Wow. I obviously know nothing about "sticks" and was just being an ass. You can chill out a little bit.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lordofultima
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " @Killroycantkill said:
    " Triangle "
    circle "
    Bummer, your ability to kill funny things is uncanny...since you know, there are circular restrictors. "
    Wow. I obviously know nothing about "sticks" and was just being an ass. You can chill out a little bit. "
    You pretty much hit the nail on the head there.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @lordofultima said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " @Killroycantkill said:
    " Triangle "
    circle "
    Wow. I obviously know nothing about "sticks" and was just being an ass. You can chill out a little bit. "
    You pretty much hit the nail on the head there. "
    Well if you knew I was joking, you probably shouldn't have posted a response that made you come off as a dick. I'm sorry I even attempted humor in your sacred street fighter forum.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By lordofultima
    @JJWeatherman: Was merely pointing out that it was a failed attempt at humor, since circle gates do exist. Before derailing threads in the future you should actually care enough to derail the thread.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @lordofultima:  
    There's some kind of bug going on here. First I never got a notification of response, and also my name is the one on the "last posted" indicator even though you have the last post as of now. I've never noticed this bug before. Usually the "last posted" column is accurate. 

Now this may be considered a bit of derailment.   :P
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lordofultima
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @lordofultima:  
    There's some kind of bug going on here. First I never got a notification of response, and also my name is the one on the "last posted" indicator even though you have the last post as of now. I've never noticed this bug before. Usually the "last posted" column is accurate. 

Now this may be considered a bit of derailment.   :P "
    lol I noticed that, I also can't edit my post to fix the spelling error. Weird..
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By ImperiousRix

I used to think I liked square gates until I played on my buddy Pukit's SE stick.  There, it just felt restricting and weird.  Still, for charge characters, it's probably a more logical choice. 
    Then again, seeing as I'm a stalwart D-Pad warrior, I have no authority to be saying anything on this subject.  : /

eckertmania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By eckertmania

I started in SF4 with a square gate, then switched to an octo gate, then back to a square because I felt that it would be better to learn on the square gate. That's mainly because, if I ever go to a tourney and it's a tourney for a console that I don't have, most people use square gates, so finding a stick with similar parts with an octo gate would be very difficult to do.

MarceloAbans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MarceloAbans
    @fragor87: Try both, it's a matter of what feels best.. I changed all the Sawa buttons becuae they didn't feel right.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By xyzygy

I think Square would be awesome for moves where you need to go 7-9-1. Like Vega's jumping moves, or Guile's Double Flash. Those are the only types of moves I have trouble pulling off efficiently now.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Dan_CiTi

I've always used square. 

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#32  Edited By King9999

I'm using an octagonal gate, but I'm getting the TE stick soon, which I believe has a square gate.  Sometimes I mess up my inputs and I think the gate is part of the reason.  Also, I can't do instant Cannon Strikes consistently, so I'm hoping a square gate will fix that problem.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.