SSF4 AE changes (Able, Gen, Makoto, Blanka)

#1 Posted by Killroycantkill (1385 posts) -

IPW has a post about the chages to some characters in the Arcade Edition in SSF4. Information is below.  Here is the link to the post on IPW if you would like to read it there. http://iplaywinner.com/news/2010/11/22/new-japanese-super-street-fighter-4-blog-post-translated-arc.html     
 

 

Blanka

 
Unique Attacks
-Rock Slash (when close, F+MP) has less recovery. Rock Slash > far st.LP > Roll now combos.
-Amazon River Run (DF+HP) has less active frames, has less frames of movement. The hittable box when Blanka is pulling back is now larger
-Surprise Back (B+KKK) has slightly more grounded frames at the start, making it easier to throw

Specials
-Rolling Attack (straight ball) has a bigger hittable box during rotation
-The distance of the Rolling Attack rebound is now dependent on the strength of the attack. LP=EX>MP>HP
-EX Backstep Roll (rainbow ball) has slightly less forward movement, making it harder to use as an escape. You can still do the same back-and-forth movement as before, however.
-EX Electricity's startup is significantly faster
 

Abel

Normals
-The second hit of cr.HP has a smaller attack box

Specials
-Tornado Throw does less damage
-Marseilles Roll's hit invincibility at the end of roll has been cut (the actual recovery is still the same).

Ultra Combos
-Soulless does 10% less damage
-Breathless does 10% less damage and has a slower startup. It no longer has Armor during his charge forward, and has more recovery on both whiff and cancel
 
Gen 
Mantis
-2 target combos added
-TC1 is cr.LK > cr.MK.
-TC2 far/close HP (first hit) > far/close st.MK
-The respective MK are cancellable, so you can combine them with Specials
-During the startup of far/close st.LP, the hittable box from the elbow to tip has been cut, making it harder to stuff.
-cr.MP has a faster startup. far/close st.LP (or cr.LP) > cr.MP now link. Since cr.MP is cancellable, cr.MP > Hands is now better, regardless of whether it hits or is blocked
-far/close st.HK has slightly longer reach
-UC2's hitbox has been extended downward, making it less likely to whiff

Crane

-UC2 has faster movement

Other
-Is considered to be airborne immediately after the invinicibility frames of his backdash end
    
Makoto 
Normals
-cr.LK has more range
-st.LK is now kara-cancellable
-cr.HK attack box extended, and the damage box has been lowered slightly, making it easier to use as an anti-air
-cr.HP has slightly more active frames
-F+LP has a 3 frame startup (formerly 4 frames)

Specials
-EX Hayate is now armor-break, has a slightly faster startup
-Fukiage, when the arm is fully extended, the hittable box from her chest up is now barely there, while the attack box is extended, so there are now almost no cases where it trades or is stuffed. It still can't hit grounded opponents however. The start up for all versions have been revised (I'd assume to be faster)
-EX Tsurugi is now similar to EX Cannon Strike in what height the technique can be executed (instant EX Tsurugi?)
-UC1 damage distribution has been changed. It still does the same total damage, but because of the change, will do more when the scaling kicks in.
-UC2 has a faster startup

Other
-1000 Health
-The movement frames for forward and back dash have been reduced very slightly (making them faster). Because of this, now HP Hayate > FADC > cr.LK (and some other normals) > LP Hayate now combos. This vastly improves her mix-up game (throw or attack?)

   

#2 Posted by gosukiller (2324 posts) -

Yay for Blanka nerfs! Yeah, I went there.
 
Don't really understand the Abel nerfs, but since most of it is just damage nerfs his gameplan shouldn't really change.
 
Makoto buffs were one of the few things everyone could agree on.
 
I don't fully understand what the changes will mean for Gen yet.

#3 Posted by thegoldencat7 (1492 posts) -

All sounds pretty reasonable really. Think this is all for the better. Haven't heard what they're doing to Bison yet of course.
#4 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -

Why, why nerf Blanka... 
 
fucking scrubs 

#5 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -
@Jeffsekai:  HA-HA!
#6 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -
@Scooper said:
" @Jeffsekai:  HA-HA! "
:(
#7 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" @Scooper said:
" @Jeffsekai:  HA-HA! "
:( "
Well to be honest they're only nessasary changes for Blanka. He won't be able to win by cheese as much as he used too. No more Blankas winning by just spamming roll after roll after roll and abusing the ridiculas slide. The only Blankas that will be able to win after the update are the ones that actualy have good fundamentals and execution rather then just the cheesy fuckers like yourself lmao.
#8 Posted by Killroycantkill (1385 posts) -
@Scooper said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
" @Scooper said:
" @Jeffsekai:  HA-HA! "
:( "
Well to be honest they're only nessasary changes for Blanka. He won't be able to win by cheese as much as he used too. No more Blankas winning by just spamming roll after roll after roll and abusing the ridiculas slide. The only Blankas that will be able to win after the update are the ones that actualy have good fundamentals and execution rather then just the cheesy fuckers like yourself lmao. "

sickburn!
#9 Edited by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -
@Scooper said:

" @Jeffsekai said:

" @Scooper said:
" @Jeffsekai:  HA-HA! "
:( "
Well to be honest they're only nessasary changes for Blanka. He won't be able to win by cheese as much as he used too. No more Blankas winning by just spamming roll after roll after roll and abusing the ridiculas slide. The only Blankas that will be able to win after the update are the ones that actualy have good fundamentals and execution rather then just the cheesy fuckers like yourself lmao. "
No not really. Only idiots lose to Blanka spamming balls, and this makes it even easier to punish him even on hit, which is just fucking retarded. 
 
Compare Blanka ball to Honda's headbutt or Bisons scissor kick, both are immune to low hits on start up/active or what ever. Compared to Blanka ball which has nothing its fucking retarded when some retard fucks up his block sting but still stuffs my Blanka ball with a poorly timed low short, even elec can be stuffed on startup by anything. I dont have a single safe(on hit) "get off me" move unlike everyone else in the game.
 
Pretty much all of Blankas hit confirms are 1 frame, this does nothing to fix that. 
 
I mean Blanka balls are so terrible no one even uses them for zoning anymore, so really nerfing balls dosnt matter. At lest buff elec so it acts more like hondas hands.
#10 Posted by Undeadpool (4913 posts) -

I'm none too thrilled about the armor being gone for Breathless, but since I hardly play anymore, I guess I can't get THAT mad.

#11 Posted by Jambones (1696 posts) -
@Undeadpool: Not sure I understood that one either. 
#12 Posted by Killroycantkill (1385 posts) -
@Jambones: The armor will still be there but only when you're holding the kicks. As soon as you start the forward motion then the armor is gone, and Breathless can possibly be stuffed by a normal or an uppercut.
#13 Posted by Jambones (1696 posts) -
@Killroycantkill: Ah, ok. I never realized he had armor in the actual dash anyway. Thanks for the clarification.
#14 Posted by JJOR64 (18911 posts) -

Glad to see the buffs Makoto is getting.   Can't wait to use her.

#15 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

Blanka just got ass raped. I approve.
 
Makoto is now going to be worth using, congrats to those who toughed it out.
 
Abel also got anally probed. I think the super nerfs are unjustified, but hey...that is fine by me.
 
Gen...who gives a shit. People will continue not to use him.

#16 Posted by GlenTennis (3144 posts) -
@Stang said:
"   Gen...who gives a shit. People will continue not to use him. "
#17 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -
@GlenTennis said:
" @Stang said:
"   Gen...who gives a shit. People will continue not to use him. "
"
There's actualy quite a few of really quality Gen players in the UK right now doing some ridiculas science with Gen and he can be damn strong.
#18 Posted by lordofultima (6209 posts) -

Gen changes sound exciting? I just want to see Gen players again. I miss the guy! Kinda.  
 
 
Don't tell Canned I said that though. FUCK GEN

Online
#19 Posted by Brake (1089 posts) -

I haven't kept up with this stuff recently: have they confirmed that the AE changes are coming to consoles?

#20 Posted by gosukiller (2324 posts) -
@ChineseTea: Holy Crusader and Professional Troll Yoshinori Ono is on a quest to accomplish just that. 
 
If it gets confirmed, his twitter will be the source.
Twitter.
#21 Posted by Flushes (329 posts) -

Shoutouts to Abel ultra 2 for tanking 90 percent of the nerfs. All of Abel's abusable shit is still in: step kick combos and assorted trickery, ridiculous roll 50/50s after command grab knockdown, and huge damage on combos and punishes not involving ultra. He's going to play exactly the same; he'll just take longer to kill people.

#22 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@Scooper said:
" @GlenTennis said:
" @Stang said:
"   Gen...who gives a shit. People will continue not to use him. "
"
There's actualy quite a few of really quality Gen players in the UK right now doing some ridiculas science with Gen and he can be damn strong. "
That very well may be the case, but 10 Gens who know what they are doing does not change the fact that nobody gives a damn about him! Until they give him a teleport, dp and an air spd he will continue to be ignored.
#23 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -
@Stang said:
" @Scooper said:
" @GlenTennis said:
" @Stang said:
"   Gen...who gives a shit. People will continue not to use him. "
"
There's actualy quite a few of really quality Gen players in the UK right now doing some ridiculas science with Gen and he can be damn strong. "
That very well may be the case, but 10 Gens who know what they are doing does not change the fact that nobody gives a damn about him! Until they give him a teleport, dp and an air spd he will continue to be ignored. "
He has got a DP: The waterfall kicks. And he has got an air SPD: his air U2.
 
Anyways, there's a load more Gen players knocking about then DJ players. I think he must be hidden from most people's character select screens. I somehow managed to be 6th in Europe and 1st in the UK on the leaderboards and I barely even play lol.
#24 Posted by mubress (1517 posts) -
@Scooper said:
" @Stang said:
" @Scooper said:
" @GlenTennis said:
" @Stang said:
"   Gen...who gives a shit. People will continue not to use him. "
"
There's actualy quite a few of really quality Gen players in the UK right now doing some ridiculas science with Gen and he can be damn strong. "
That very well may be the case, but 10 Gens who know what they are doing does not change the fact that nobody gives a damn about him! Until they give him a teleport, dp and an air spd he will continue to be ignored. "
He has got a DP: The waterfall kicks. And he has got an air SPD: his air U2.  Anyways, there's a load more Gen players knocking about then DJ players. I think he must be hidden from most people's character select screens. I somehow managed to be 6th in Europe and 1st in the UK on the leaderboards and I barely even play lol. "
I can confirm (in the UK) that there are more Gen players on XBL than DJ players. Good players I mean, not someone who just plays them once in Ranked and decides they aren't for them. 
 
Anyway, stop bragging Scooper we all know Ranked is for scrubs. Plus there are only 10 DJ players on the leaderboards anyway!
#25 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -
@mubress: Not until you get top as Rufus!
 
And stop playing Ibuki!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.