Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

SSF4: JWong and Daigo (and other assorted players) on blast.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By StaticFalconar

Welcome to another Perch of StaticFalconar, this is the only time of year I have to blog about gaming in 2010.

Ever since Street Fighter ever had a tournament scene, there was the legend of Daigo. Daigo may not be the best in Japan, but whenever he went to American soil, he seemed invincible. As good as the child prodigy of Justin Wong was, even though he seemed unbeatable and the best player in the US, he never could conquer his white whale, Daigo. And so it went like Cain and Abel, the Daigo-Justin rivalry went on and Street Fighter 4 was just the continuation of this long feud.

Out of this eternal battle it seems, America had always seemed to play second fiddle to Japan. After all, if America’s best cannot even beat someone that isn’t the best in Japan, what chance does the rest of America have against Japan? Well, this year the impossible had happened twice. Justin is no longer the undisputed best in America and Daigo is discovered to be human.

For Justin, it all started at Evo courtesy of two people: Vangief and GamerBee. Justin for some reason just broke down and started playing unlike himself, making him not even be in top 8 of what is arguably the biggest competition in America. Even though Daigo won Evo that year, Daigo showed that he was human when he toured America for more then one tournament later in the year. Seasons beatings featured Daigo being a Pot monster not even making top 32. Sure GamerBee seemed unstoppable then, but come Socal regionals, GemerBee was put in place as once again (not even top 8) and finally, someone beat Daigo; twice and convincingly. Yes it was F. Champ.

I could name more names of who beat who, but the overall point is, Daigo is human. As much faith as we put in Justin Wong, it wasn’t him that knocked Daigo out but a bunch of other players instead. Am I putting them all on blast, laughing at them saying suck it? No. The events that unfolded this year has made the tournaments that much more entertaining to watch since it is no longer the JWong and Daigo show, when it comes to whos the best. Before you start to name off “the better players Japan has to offer”, they all got beat either by Daigo, GamerBee, and others as well this year making them good, but not undisputed best.

So, who is the undisputed best? No one as the game has evolved to the point that on any given tournament anyone can lose or win fame for that weekend. It is that unpredictability that makes the streams so much more fun to watch. 

Yes, even though this series of blogs was supposed to be about my gaming experience for 2010, I have written two on Street Fighter without actually writing about me playing it. Well thats just because this year I didn't find myself to have nearly enough time to actually play the game as much as just follow it as a Stream Monster. 

Alright, enough about fighting games. Tomorrow will be a very different game, one that has played to role of 5 dollar adventure games on the PC for years, but now the good old adventure game makes another grand entrance. Heavy Rain. 

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1  Edited By StaticFalconar

Welcome to another Perch of StaticFalconar, this is the only time of year I have to blog about gaming in 2010.

Ever since Street Fighter ever had a tournament scene, there was the legend of Daigo. Daigo may not be the best in Japan, but whenever he went to American soil, he seemed invincible. As good as the child prodigy of Justin Wong was, even though he seemed unbeatable and the best player in the US, he never could conquer his white whale, Daigo. And so it went like Cain and Abel, the Daigo-Justin rivalry went on and Street Fighter 4 was just the continuation of this long feud.

Out of this eternal battle it seems, America had always seemed to play second fiddle to Japan. After all, if America’s best cannot even beat someone that isn’t the best in Japan, what chance does the rest of America have against Japan? Well, this year the impossible had happened twice. Justin is no longer the undisputed best in America and Daigo is discovered to be human.

For Justin, it all started at Evo courtesy of two people: Vangief and GamerBee. Justin for some reason just broke down and started playing unlike himself, making him not even be in top 8 of what is arguably the biggest competition in America. Even though Daigo won Evo that year, Daigo showed that he was human when he toured America for more then one tournament later in the year. Seasons beatings featured Daigo being a Pot monster not even making top 32. Sure GamerBee seemed unstoppable then, but come Socal regionals, GemerBee was put in place as once again (not even top 8) and finally, someone beat Daigo; twice and convincingly. Yes it was F. Champ.

I could name more names of who beat who, but the overall point is, Daigo is human. As much faith as we put in Justin Wong, it wasn’t him that knocked Daigo out but a bunch of other players instead. Am I putting them all on blast, laughing at them saying suck it? No. The events that unfolded this year has made the tournaments that much more entertaining to watch since it is no longer the JWong and Daigo show, when it comes to whos the best. Before you start to name off “the better players Japan has to offer”, they all got beat either by Daigo, GamerBee, and others as well this year making them good, but not undisputed best.

So, who is the undisputed best? No one as the game has evolved to the point that on any given tournament anyone can lose or win fame for that weekend. It is that unpredictability that makes the streams so much more fun to watch. 

Yes, even though this series of blogs was supposed to be about my gaming experience for 2010, I have written two on Street Fighter without actually writing about me playing it. Well thats just because this year I didn't find myself to have nearly enough time to actually play the game as much as just follow it as a Stream Monster. 

Alright, enough about fighting games. Tomorrow will be a very different game, one that has played to role of 5 dollar adventure games on the PC for years, but now the good old adventure game makes another grand entrance. Heavy Rain. 

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By AndrewJD

I agree, the fact that there is no undisputed champ atm is a good thing, makes for good watching. Nice post.

Necrotrophic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Necrotrophic

as much as i like daigo, i kind of got sick of seeing him win everything. 

the fact that theres a bunch of people coming out of nowhere winning things means we may stop seeing Ryu vs Rufus in every god damn final.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Necrotrophic: If arcade edition hits consoles soonish as free DLC and then EVO goes ahead and supports it fully, get ready to see Yun, Yang, and Balrog in every final...
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By lordofultima
    @Doctorchimp said:
    " @Necrotrophic: If arcade edition hits consoles soonish as free DLC and then EVO goes ahead and supports it fully, get ready to see Yun, Yang, and Balrog in every final... "
    Why Balrog? Isn't he nerfed in AE? Did you see Balrog's all over last years EVO? Nope. Also, AE won't be free, it'll be $20-30 I'm guessing, IF it's released. If they don't release AE on consoles, then MVC3 will be the real hype at Evo, seeing as SSFIV tournaments are already cannibalized because of AE coming out.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @lordofultima: Because Balrog is a really tough match-up for Yun and Yang. Also compared to others Balrog's nerfs aren't terrible, MP got nerfed, but now you can special cancel and his LP and Buffalo Head got nerfed.  

Playing with him at the Arcade Infinity he doesn't feel that neutered compared to some others.

Also 20-30 dollars is a little extreme, even for Capcom for what the Arcade Edition really is. I would say the tweaks would be free and the 4 characters would be like 10 dollars, 20 at the most. Why would capcom segregate people on the consoles from each other?
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By lordofultima
    @Doctorchimp said:

" @lordofultima: Because Balrog is a really tough match-up for Yun and Yang. Also compared to others Balrog's nerfs aren't terrible, MP got nerfed, but now you can special cancel and his LP and Buffalo Head got nerfed.   Playing with him at the Arcade Infinity he doesn't feel that neutered compared to some others. Also 20-30 dollars is a little extreme, even for Capcom for what the Arcade Edition really is. I would say the tweaks would be free and the 4 characters would be like 10 dollars, 20 at the most. Why would capcom segregate people on the consoles from each other? "

Well, a patch to fight against them would be free. But you have to pay to actually play them. That's how DLC characters have always worked. Why would costumes cost over 10 bucks, but not characters? People are already segregated on consoles, because they don't have A.E. Evo is going to be a mess if there is no A.E. dlc, think about it..
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @lordofultima: I don't think you got my post... or I'm not sure what problem you have with my post.

If Arcade Edition hits consoles before EVO the tournament players would pay for the extra characters, so you would see Yun and Yang in the tournament... regardless if they cost money or not...  

And just like how many other games do their DLC, capcom will have a big DLC for everybody that's free that will put Yun, Yang, Evil Ryu, and that second-form akuma on your console you just would have to pay to play them. If capcom goes ahead and charges for them which they might not do...

And since the tweaks would be free people would be playing Arcade Edition already, they just wouldn't have the extra characters.
    Necrotrophic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Necrotrophic

AE should have just been super with no changes. 

Its really lame that we have been playing different versions of the game in different countries. 

International tournaments are going to essentially mean less because different groups of people are playing different games. until ae comes out as dlc its just gonna be weird

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By demontium

Everyone loves comebacks, new champs, champs on blast, and big combos.... no lie

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By demontium
    @Necrotrophic said:
    " AE should have just been super with no changes.  Its really lame that we have been playing different versions of the game in different countries.  International tournaments are going to essentially mean less because different groups of people are playing different games. until ae comes out as dlc its just gonna be weird "
    YES! I mean, good on them for creating new characters... BUT WHAT THE FUCK?! Ok... they could've just help super back until now and released it.... they could've avoided a rift in tournament (and even regular people) playing.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By napalm
    @mubress said:
    " I agree, the fact that there is no undisputed champ atm is a good thing, makes for good watching. Nice post. "
    Old topic again, but I felt I had to give my two-cents: 

Adon took a lot of people by storm. I think everybody is still a bit jarred by SSFIV and the new characters. It might not be as bad or apparent as it was, but I think that feeling is still there. I wouldn't necessarily say that GamerBee winning was because nobody knew how to fight Adon and he got lucky, but not everybody had the utmost experience needed to fight him to the best of their abilities.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By scarace360

I hope AE never comes to consoles cause then where gonna have arcade cabnits at evo and that will be awesome!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By toowalrus

What's with the surge in popularity of the phrase 'on blast' all of a sudden? Is Slim Shady popular again?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.