Super Street Fighter IV Balance Patch Hits Alongside Tourney DLC

• 52 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Now there are two reasons why Super Street Fighter IV fans should be scribbling unicorns and stars in the hollow of June 15th on their calendars. As promised, Capcom will be rolling out its Tournament Mode DLC that afternoon, adding an up-to-eight-player single-elimination tournament to the core game. But, as revealed recently, the developer will also launch a precious balance update alongside that content.  

Word of this patch comes courtesy of SSFIV assistant producer Tomoaki Ayano's SSFIV Saikyo blog (translated via Andriasang). Ayano apparently threw down what we'll assume is the full list of what's being addressed. In short, we'll see Fei Long getting slapped on his endless-combo-capable wrists again; all of  Ibuki's kicks against Chun-Li will start to count; and counter damage against M. Bison's second ultra combo will be dialed up among other Street Fighter-ery balance things. The full list of these fixes is available over at Eventhubs, if you're interested.

No word if the patch will make terrible players better, but I'm not too worried: like, five weeks ago Capcom promised that they were sending me a magical box of joystick talent in the mail. It'll come, I keep telling myself.

Anyway, like Transformers, there's more to the Tournament Mode DLC other than the obvious (and stated thus far). You can get very special, one-of-a-kind titles for winning official tournaments. For example, at Capcom's Hawaii event, 1up's Richard Li beat out Jeff in the final match of their official tournament and became the one and only "Blade" title holder. He'll carry this around until someone beats it from him when the DLC officially hits. (As a safeguard of sorts, Li could also lose the belt if he doesn't participate in that particular tournament.)   

The Tournament Mode DLC, and subsequently the balance band-aid, will be free when they launch. Lessons from masters in preparation for either, however, are not.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Now there are two reasons why Super Street Fighter IV fans should be scribbling unicorns and stars in the hollow of June 15th on their calendars. As promised, Capcom will be rolling out its Tournament Mode DLC that afternoon, adding an up-to-eight-player single-elimination tournament to the core game. But, as revealed recently, the developer will also launch a precious balance update alongside that content.  

Word of this patch comes courtesy of SSFIV assistant producer Tomoaki Ayano's SSFIV Saikyo blog (translated via Andriasang). Ayano apparently threw down what we'll assume is the full list of what's being addressed. In short, we'll see Fei Long getting slapped on his endless-combo-capable wrists again; all of  Ibuki's kicks against Chun-Li will start to count; and counter damage against M. Bison's second ultra combo will be dialed up among other Street Fighter-ery balance things. The full list of these fixes is available over at Eventhubs, if you're interested.

No word if the patch will make terrible players better, but I'm not too worried: like, five weeks ago Capcom promised that they were sending me a magical box of joystick talent in the mail. It'll come, I keep telling myself.

Anyway, like Transformers, there's more to the Tournament Mode DLC other than the obvious (and stated thus far). You can get very special, one-of-a-kind titles for winning official tournaments. For example, at Capcom's Hawaii event, 1up's Richard Li beat out Jeff in the final match of their official tournament and became the one and only "Blade" title holder. He'll carry this around until someone beats it from him when the DLC officially hits. (As a safeguard of sorts, Li could also lose the belt if he doesn't participate in that particular tournament.)   

The Tournament Mode DLC, and subsequently the balance band-aid, will be free when they launch. Lessons from masters in preparation for either, however, are not.
#2 Edited by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

Dan doesn't suck! Dan is the best! Thanks for the info.

Also, hello Brad!

#3 Posted by TurboMan (7537 posts) -

awesome DLC

#4 Posted by VoshiNova (1687 posts) -

Awesome

#5 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

brad stinks

>:)

#6 Posted by bjorno (1416 posts) -

Dan doesnt stink, shut your dirty mouth!

#7 Posted by Yummylee (21615 posts) -

You take that back about Dan! I'll Gohadouken your pretensious arse I will!

#8 Edited by gosukiller (2324 posts) -

I approve of this.
Also, I hope Brad N. does badly at a couple of quick looks so we can still use 'pulling a Brad' freely.

#9 Posted by JJOR64 (18989 posts) -

4 days late on the news, but it's better then nothing.  I'm glad to see the fixes are coming.

#10 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Fuck you Brad, Dan is God-tier. Saikyo forever.

#11 Posted by monster9999 (393 posts) -

Wow these new dudes are working hard

#12 Posted by Derios (423 posts) -

Brad you should note for future reference that giant bomb is very pro Dan.
#13 Edited by VicRattlehead (1398 posts) -

DAN FOR LIFE  Saikyooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

#14 Posted by Phished0ne (2504 posts) -

Yeah i agree with the sentiment in this thread, Dan is the master. 

and anyone who disagrees 
will end up on their knees.. 
 (so says Mr Hibiki) 

yup...i did it...

#15 Posted by CaptainObvious (2998 posts) -

You just had to crash my hopes with that headline, didn't you?

#16 Posted by Creamypies (4064 posts) -

I CAN'T DEAL WITH ALL THIS NEWS!

#17 Posted by Buttenator (189 posts) -

Whaaaaaat!? Dan doesn't stink! Anyone who makes a statement like that is just salty from losing to a good Dan.

#18 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

HOLY SHIT i dont thinks i can handle this guy.

There's been at least 4 news updates today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#19 Posted by ZmillA (2271 posts) -
@gosukiller said:
" I approve of this. Also, I hope Brad N. does badly at a couple of quick looks so we can still use 'pulling a Brad' freely. "

He isn't at GB headquarters, submits stuff over the interweb
#20 Posted by Rampage (56 posts) -

Fuck all you guys, 

Dan sucks and Brad rules. 

Yup.

#21 Edited by Scooper (7882 posts) -

Duplicate thread. It's also not a balance patch. It's bug fixing. A balance patch will come at a later time when the characters have been worked out. No one knows which characters need balancing yet because they haven't been figured out 100% yet.

#22 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

Who is this

#23 Posted by JoshS (415 posts) -

Oh shizz is it Mr. Guns himself? On GB? I love you.

#24 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3301 posts) -

Actually, Dan isn't the worst character anymore. I'd say Hakan is. 

#25 Posted by Yummylee (21615 posts) -
@Dan_CiTi said:
" Actually, Dan isn't the worst character anymore. I'd say Hakan is.  "
Don't say that! I always seem to lose against Hakan T.T
#26 Posted by Mechanized (324 posts) -

Uh, Dan is bad? Way to come out of the scrub closet.

#27 Posted by Jeffsekai (7031 posts) -

So giantbomb hired 2 dudes to watch Kotaku all day and post the stuff they find there as news? no thanks

#28 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

Holy shit Brad Nicholson is writing for GB now? man, you were the best thing about Destructoids podtoid, welcome.

No idea how I missed this news.

#29 Posted by patrick (563 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" So giantbomb hired 2 dudes to watch Kotaku all day and post the stuff they find there as news? no thanks "
I wasn't aware Kotaku broke this story! I see they posted GiantBomb's SMG2 review score as well, I wonder if there's some conspiracy at hand.
#30 Posted by TheLastNeo (441 posts) -

Werd.. DLC...

#31 Posted by Milkman (16779 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" So giantbomb hired 2 dudes to watch Kotaku all day and post the stuff they find there as news? no thanks "
Kotaku: the only place on the internet allowed to post video game news.

Anyway, I don't know. I would think the title for something like that would be a lot cooler than "Blade".
#32 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

Well, more balancing is never a bad thing.

#33 Posted by Weltal (2273 posts) -

Brad Nicholson?! On Giant Bomb?!

Cool.

#34 Posted by oddjob (110 posts) -

Dan is not the worst, Hakan is. Unfortunately, THawk's much needed FAC from Tomahawk Buster is no where in sight :(

#35 Edited by lordofultima (6247 posts) -
@Rampage said:

" Fuck all you guys,  Dan sucks and Brad rules.  Yup. "

Dan is pretty solid in Super SFIV actually. 

@oddjob said:
" Dan is not the worst, Hakan is. Unfortunately, THawk's much needed FAC from Tomahawk Buster is no where in sight :( "
T. Hawk FADC'ing? Now that would be broken.
#36 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3301 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" @Dan_CiTi said:
" Actually, Dan isn't the worst character anymore. I'd say Hakan is.  "
Don't say that! I always seem to lose against Hakan T.T "
Let's just say I agree with this video. Even though I love Hakan as a character. 
#37 Posted by oddjob (110 posts) -
@lordofultima:  nah, I dont think so. He needs one move for him to FADC out of, plus it might get him out of the 3rd tier everybody says he's in. Btw, he's my main, so hence my sadness :(
#38 Posted by KillerBears (248 posts) -

Will this update make me not suck at Street Fighter? No? 

#39 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
Fo' real. There's too much padding out of stories with unfunny stuff, too.
#40 Posted by Quater (47 posts) -

If they give Dudley SOMETHING to help him deal with Chun Li/Guile's hardcore footsies I'll be happy. I'd also like them to fix it so that Akuma's LK tatsu > LP SRK xFCx HP Shank goes back to being his most damaging combo finisher, instead of plain EX SRK. I didn't spend hours in the training room getting the execution down to pull that shit off online just so they could nerf it in favour of a dumbass EX finisher that any scrub could mash out. 

Also, Brad Nicholson is posting on Giant Bomb now?! Truly, this site IS THE BOMB.

#41 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

The only thing that matters is that they are fixing the unblockable ultra glitch.

#42 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -
@Quater said:
" If they give Dudley SOMETHING to help him deal with Chun Li/Guile's hardcore footsies I'll be happy
 Dudley already has above average health, amazing damage and stun output along with one incredibly combo-able ultra. It has to come at some sort of price.
#43 Posted by Jeffsekai (7031 posts) -
@Scooper said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
Fo' real. There's too much padding out of stories with unfunny stuff, too. "
Noticed this too... :(
#44 Posted by Quater (47 posts) -
@Ygg said:

" @Quater said:

" If they give Dudley SOMETHING to help him deal with Chun Li/Guile's hardcore footsies I'll be happy
 Dudley already has above average health, amazing damage and stun output along with one incredibly combo-able ultra. It has to come at some sort of price. "
 Myeh I know, but jumping on the "BALANCING THE GAME = PLZ MAKE MY MAIN EVEN BETTER KTHXBAI" bandwagon is fun ;-P  

I think it would be fun if Duds could do an alternate version of Cross Counter that hit low attacks instead of high - it would be too risky for it to actually allow him to steamroll through footsies consistently, but if you pulled it off just once in a match it would just force the opponent to think a little bit harder rather than just spamming cMK all day to keep Dudley at a distance.  It's not that I can't get past it, it just makes the match more irritating than fun, for both players.
#45 Posted by ectoplasma (979 posts) -

We need a name for the new Brad. Maybe we should call him "other brad".

#46 Posted by Chubbaluphigous (571 posts) -

Whatever, Dan is a fucking Jedi-Ninja

#47 Posted by lordofultima (6247 posts) -
@oddjob said:
" @lordofultima:  nah, I dont think so. He needs one move for him to FADC out of, plus it might get him out of the 3rd tier everybody says he's in. Btw, he's my main, so hence my sadness :( "
How many tiers do you think there are? Half the cast is in the "third" tier.
#48 Posted by Shadow (4979 posts) -

Sweet!  We can finally have a Giantbomb tournament that doesn't all just fall apart from people not showing up, starting a day after my birthday.  Thanks for the present, Capcom! 

#49 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -

That's a bug fix, ya' go'damn ape! 

EDIT: 

I'm also not liking the failed blog-ish humor these new guys keep putting in these articles.

#50 Posted by J_Las_Vegas (144 posts) -
@BradNicholson:   Thought you were awesome on podtoid.  Quick hits was great.

Also, Dan is a legend.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.