Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Super Street Fighter IV Won’t Be Fighting On The PC

• 113 results
    KuribosShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By KuribosShoe
    @Olivaw: but, achievements!
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By MrKlorox

Well... eventually the arcade version will be playable on PCs at some point in the future at least. But without online battles, what's the point?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#53  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Archaen said:
    " It's plainly obvious that pirates got around GFLW authentication by hosting their own servers for match-making. Just like World of Warcraft and Warcraft 3 the pirates would be able to reverse engineer the server component of the product and run it themselves. The Capcom answer makes perfect sense. Pirated versions of the game can be played online. "
    So because of that no one should get it? Yes, pirates will continue to pirate it no matter how they release it on the PC. But by not releasing it on the PC at all, they get no PC sales. Perhaps they're counting on PC players buying it on a console instead, but if someone's willing to bypass GFWL authentication to play the game they'll surely have no problem pirating a console version  as well.
    OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#54  Edited By OneManX
    @RE_Player92 said:

" Ono claims that making the title Steam-only is “unfair” to those consumers who use digital distribution hubs other than Valve’s service."  What PC gamer doesn't have Steam? Steam is great. It's a great program, helps stop piracy, and regularly has amazing sales. C'mon Capcom just put the original Street Fighter 4 on Steam for $10 one week and you'll see how many people would buy it. There is interest.  "

Check the Civ 5 boards on the 2K website, a bunch of old school gamers who hate Steam for some reason... Maybe Steam killed their dogs or something. 

But on topic: It sounds like it's Capcom Japan holding this one back and most people know that Japan's relationship with the internet isn't an open one, so it sucks.. but... it's fair.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By MikkaQ

Unfair to those who don't have steam? I must know how many people fall into this demographic. So I can beat them over the head till they get it.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By Shadow

Everyone keeps stealing it so why should they even bother putting games out on the PC?

bobdude1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By bobdude1234

Let's just get one thing straight guys, PC version was always laughed at by the pros. If you really like fighting games, you'll have more than just a PC. I agree that the PC game was more pirated, but again every PC game is more.  
    It really is a shame that everybody just torrents games like this, because this is what happens when you think pirating hurts no one and no I don't believe in the, they wouldnt have bought it anyway comment. 
    So, good job fucking yourselves over guys. I'll be thinking of you when I play super.

Avatar image for captainpeachfuzz
    CaptainPeachfuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By CaptainPeachfuzz

Street Fighter should be meant for console games solely.

Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By Gregomasta

I don't blame them, but I don't have a console and don't plan on getting one.   So no sale here regardless;  I will however enjoy my steam copy of Street Fighter 4.

Olivaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Olivaw
    @KuribosShoe:  Steam has achievements now!

There is officially no reason to use Games for Windows Live except that you hate the people who bought your game.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By MrKlorox
    @CaptainPeachfuzz said:

" Street Fighter should be meant for console games solely. "

You can keep Street Fighter and other fighting games on consoles if we get to keep Battlefield and STALKER on PC, only.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By sixghost
    @Jethuty said:
    " Cool slow article, bro "
    I'd rather have articles like this, that are well thought out and researched, rather than a 100 words blurb that doesn't scratch the surface of what's going on.

Good article Kesslar, I wish more of the news stories on this site had half the quality of this one.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By MrKlorox

Also what would one call making the arcade version software work on PC? Is it still "emulation" when the arcade version runs on DirectX in the first place?

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#64  Edited By bacongames

This literally makes no sense.  I feel like we're not getting the whole story.  Me thinks they just want to force players to buy a version of the game that naturally has higher returns, namely the console version.

The Steam argument doesn't make any sense because what about players who don't want GFWL accounts to play online or just don't want?  GFWL is a online match-making friends connecting storehouse of games just like Steam (albeit not as awesome but still pretty good).  You're telling me rather than use systems that work and have yet to cause really any problem to PC gamers (both Steam and GFWL) they'd rather just not make one.  Bullshit.

If they don't want to put out a product I want, then they don't get my business.  So I'll continue to never buy vanilla SFIV for the PC.

The fact that Capcom has such a presence on Steam makes this so hypocritical too.  "We like money, but we like making more money our way" which is totally fair but leaving potential customers out to dry is not the way to do that.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

@MrKlorox said:
    " @CaptainPeachfuzz said:

You can keep Street Fighter and other fighting games on consoles if we get to keep Battlefield and STALKER on PC, only. "
    NNNOOOOO!!!!!!
    Avatar image for redrocketwestie
    RedRocketWestie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By RedRocketWestie

I'm sure they have some business-related reason not to support the Steam platform. After all, it's practically a monopoly for PC games these days. But there's a good reason for that. Steam solves the piracy problem at the same time as providing a service for consumers. Everybody wins.    Not that I buy their excuse, but assuming it's legit, they need to start living in the now. 

"Oh, the sensible solution to the problem isn't fair, so the only fair thing to do is to kill the entire product."

KuribosShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By KuribosShoe
    @Olivaw said:
    " @KuribosShoe:  Steam has achievements now!

There is officially no reason to use Games for Windows Live except that you hate the people who bought your game. "
    steam has loser no number achievements!  ms achievements 4 lyfe!
    Hangnail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Hangnail

I really absolutely despise it when developers/publishers point to some big number in a torrent site to justify the reason for either not 'developing a followup to a game' or making a game for 'X' platform (mostly PC and handhelds). Do they even realize that the majority of that big number are downloads from countries where their game might not have shipped or even worse, someplace where video games aren't necessarily "mainstream"...?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Diamond
    @MrKlorox said:
    @CaptainPeachfuzz said:

You can keep Street Fighter and other fighting games on consoles if we get to keep Battlefield and STALKER on PC, only.
    What?  Are the game platforms in some kind of war to you?  A system war?
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Diamond said:
    " @MrKlorox said:
    @CaptainPeachfuzz said:

What?  Are the game platforms in some kind of war to you?  A system war? "
    How could making a point for equality be warlike?
    Archaen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#71  Edited By Archaen
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " Unfair to those who don't have steam? I must know how many people fall into this demographic. So I can beat them over the head till they get it. "
    If given the opportunity I will purchase physical goods over Steam every time. When it comes down to it you don't actually own anything you buy on Steam.
    Archaen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Archaen
    @MrKlorox said:

You can keep Street Fighter and other fighting games on consoles if we get to keep Battlefield and STALKER on PC, only. "
    Aaaaand that won't happen because of piracy.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Archaen said:
    " @MrKlorox said:

Aaaaand that won't happen because of piracy. "
    Aaaannndd somebody doesn't know how CD keys and authentication servers work for online multiplayer games.
    Avatar image for steelknight2000
    steelknight2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By steelknight2000

Neither Steam or GFWL prevents piracy as games that use it are still cracked and playable, albeit without online capabilities.

Archaen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Archaen
    @MrKlorox said:
    " @Archaen said:
    " @MrKlorox said:

Aaaannndd somebody doesn't know how CD keys and authentication servers work for online multiplayer games. "
    News flash: Those don't work. Hackers reverse engineer the servers based on requests made by the client software and run their own servers.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Archaen said:
    " @MrKlorox said:
    " @Archaen said:
    " @MrKlorox said:

Aaaannndd somebody doesn't know how CD keys and authentication servers work for online multiplayer games. "
    News flash: Those don't work. Hackers reverse engineer the servers based on requests made by the client software and run their own servers. "
    Newser flash: Nobody wants to play on non-ranked servers except for people only trying the games out. These people wouldn't have bought in the first place if they have no interest in playing in ranked online servers.
    doe3879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#77  Edited By doe3879

ahhhhhhhh my most anticipated release is now dead T_T

Computer's version of ANYTHING will be the most pirated version because there ARE BILLIONSssss of people with PC/MAC compare to the millions on console, ofcause the numbers are gona be big.
    and a matter of fact, just because someone downloaded a .torrent file of your game, it doesn't mean they downloaded the whole game yet.

o well, guess I should be least thankful that they did release SF4 original PC.  There ain't any major fighting games on it at all.  I have the PS3 version and the PC version and I pretty much play the PC version exclusively.  Not because of hack/mod (well some skin mods)  But nothing beats the experience of launching the game in seconds whenever I want, play 2 or 3 matches and call it a day.

Archaen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Archaen
    @Hangnail said:
    " I really absolutely despise it when developers/publishers point to some big number in a torrent site to justify the reason for either not 'developing a followup to a game' or making a game for 'X' platform (mostly PC and handhelds). Do they even realize that the majority of that big number are downloads from countries where their game might not have shipped or even worse, someplace where video games aren't necessarily "mainstream"...? "
    You're looking at it in the reverse order. Publishers first look at their income and note that their PC version  produced much lower than expected sales. They then find the torrent numbers and point to them. Then they state in an interview that they're not going to release their products on PC anymore and the PC community asks "why not?" and the developer says "piracy". Capcom are a business, not a non-profit. If there was profit to be had in releasing their game for the PC despite the piracy they would do it. That they're not is a sign that their sales numbers for Vanilla 4 didn't constitute a high enough profit to warrant doing a release of Super. It's quite simple.
    Archaen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Archaen
    @MrKlorox said:
    " @Archaen said:
    " @MrKlorox said:
    " @Archaen said:
    " @MrKlorox said:

News flash: Those don't work. Hackers reverse engineer the servers based on requests made by the client software and run their own servers. "
    Newser flash: Nobody wants to play on non-ranked servers except for people only trying the games out. These people wouldn't have bought in the first place if they have no interest in playing in ranked online servers. "
    Oh, you're right. Never mind, there's no piracy problem. They should definitely port Super Street Fighter 4 and not make a profit on it.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Archaen said:
    " @MrKlorox said:
    " @Archaen said:
    " @MrKlorox said:
    " @Archaen said:
    " @MrKlorox said:

Newser flash: Nobody wants to play on non-ranked servers except for people only trying the games out. These people wouldn't have bought in the first place if they have no interest in playing in ranked online servers. "
    Oh, you're right. Never mind, there's no piracy problem. They should definitely port Super Street Fighter 4 and not make a profit on it. "
    LOL. You have an incredible ability to change the subject then act like it was part of your original argument to begin with.
    Archaen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Archaen
    @MrKlorox said:

" LOL. You have an incredible ability to change the subject then act like it was part of your original argument to begin with. "

It was my argument one post above my reply to you. If you need a direct reply to your argument it is this:
     1)  The majority of people in almost every game don't bother with rankings. The same is probably true of SF4 players. There are plenty of people who wouldn't care if they're ranked. There is a reason why playing a non-ranked match is an option in the menu: lots of people use it.
     2) Servers that hackers run have rankings as well, so those that want ranked matches can have them. In fact there are probably more people playing connected to hacked servers than legitimate servers, so being ranked on the legitimate servers probably means less overall.

edit: post edited for OMG huge reply quote block.
    Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Console piracy won't reach the levels of PC games because the next gen will likely be completely Blu-Ray, except for the next Nintendo console maybe. 40 gig downloads just don't make sense for anyone except Germans with hyper viper internet connections. Also, as long as mod chips are required, it can't ramp up. Pirates are cheap asses, that's why they're pirates, most won't shell out the cash for the equipment. 

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Archaen said:
    " In fact there are probably more people playing connected to hacked servers than legitimate servers, so being ranked on the legitimate servers probably means less overall. "
    That's the part of your argument I take issue with. I just don't believe this is the case. You act like the majority of people who play games on PC (who have access to buying them) pirate them, which is simply not the case.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By napalm
    @Tuffgong said:
    " This literally makes no sense.  I feel like we're not getting the whole story.  Me thinks they just want to force players to buy a version of the game that naturally has higher returns, namely the console version. "
    Because piracy totally isn't an acceptable reason why you shouldn't ship a game to certain platform.
    BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By BUCK3TM4N

man why cant people just pay for their games i mean think of all the hard work capcom puts in their games its not cool to just torrent them 

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ono claims that making the title Steam-only is “unfair” to those consumers who use digital distribution hubs other than Valve’s service.  

Right.. But not releasing it at all on the platform, that's fair to the customers who use other distribution hubs. 

I mean.. of course the PC version was the most pirated - because it's not exactly easy to install a cracked game on your 360 or PS3. That's just going to happen when you release a PC game. The closest competitors to PC piracy are handhelds, though I bet if you release Street Fighter 4 for the DS or PSP, no one will buy it or pirate it.

This entire story would make sense if they came out and said: "Street Fighter IV for the PC showed abysmal sales and the piracy numbers were through the roof." But instead, it did sell, probably enough to cover the week's worth of wages to port it over. 

Bah.

Stop blaming pirates for poor sales. Pirated copies =/= possible sales. Most people who download these versions aren't going to buy the game even if you released it at $10. I imagine that if there was a reason for poor sales for Street Fighter IV or Super, it's because it's a fighting game on the PC. I don't think the PC audience is brimming with fighting game fans who don't have access to a console.

Archaen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Archaen
    @MrKlorox said:

" @Archaen said:

" In fact there are probably more people playing connected to hacked servers than legitimate servers, so being ranked on the legitimate servers probably means less overall. "
    That's the part of your argument I take issue with. I just don't believe this is the case. You act like the majority of people who play games on PC (who have access to buying them) pirate them, which is simply not the case. "
    It is true that we do not have data on what % of the illegal downloads are installed and functional. However there are only two ways the data can swing if we did know it.

1) The amount of functioning pirated copies is significant and affected sales of the previous game to the point where it wasn't a profitable release.

2) The amount of functioning pirated copies is insignificant and didn't affect sales of the previous game. There simply isn't enough demand on the pc platform for Super Street Fighter 4 to be a profitable release.

Either way Capcom is smart not to release the game on PC. There is also a trend in developer thinking where they believe that piracy on the pc actually affects sales of the game on consoles as well, since many console owners also own pcs. If the game isn't available on PC then anyone that wants to play it must purchase a console version.

edit: I just want to say that I wish this wasn't so. I wish the PC community would pay for their games just like I pay for my PC games. Unfortunately this doesn't seem like it's going to change. The only way to beat the hackers is to not have client software that can be modified or inspected, and even that isn't foolproof. I don't blame the developers for pulling out of a market they can't make money in.
    Avatar image for cookiearmyleader
    cookiearmyleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By cookiearmyleader

1 way to put it ppl from the evo tournament testing the game for consels its all about the evo guys with fighting games imo

pelvic_thrust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By pelvic_thrust

Eh, I couldn't resist.  I bought the 360 version on day one.  I typically only opt for the pc version if its day and date with launch or if I missed launch and grab it cheap on a sale when my interest has peaked.  Its still a shame that some people will miss out on this awesome game.  Maybe it has something to do with games for windows live flopping and their inability to sell dlc effectively post-release?  Steam seems to know how to sell dlc.  Who knows. 

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#90  Edited By bacongames
    @Napalm said:
    " @Tuffgong said:
    " This literally makes no sense.  I feel like we're not getting the whole story.  Me thinks they just want to force players to buy a version of the game that naturally has higher returns, namely the console version. "
    Because piracy totally isn't an acceptable reason why you shouldn't ship a game to certain platform. "
    I'm disputing the specific exception they make for Steam in addition to them apparently seeing a profit from the first game on the PC.  I actually appreciate a company saying no because of piracy but the reasoning was shitty.
    TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#91  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

It is a bummer for PC users, But I don't know anyone in in my circle of friends who wanted this on PC. They've been pretty happy with X360 version. One even dusted off his PS3 for it. 
    Still, I feel for PC users.

iek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By iek

fucking bullshit, a steam only version isn't fair but not releasing it at all on pc is totally cool, nice.
     Held off on the 360 version so i didn't have to buy the damn thing twice and now all of a sudden they aren't releasing it? they could at least have the courtesy to tell us from the start,
    wonder how long until they tell us lost planet 2 isnt coming to pc either.

Getting seriously sick of this pc hating crap, I don't know anyone who wanted the game and pirated it... perhaps people just didnt give a shit about it anymore because they released it almost half a year  after the console version.

Slingsarrows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Slingsarrows

I've heard of companies blaming poor sales on piracy, but putting the blame on releasing the entire game on piracy is hilarious. With the Arcade version done, the work is 99% done for the PC version, no reason not to release it, unless PC sales of SF4 were very terrible, which it doesn't sound like they were. 

And if they are that worried about releasing a game to a system where it can be pirated, why is Dead Rising 2 coming to PC? Why does capcom release games on 360 and wii at all? Both systems have people pirating, and it is very easy to pirate games on the wii. It is of course easier to just double click install on the PC, but none the less, piracy exists on those platforms, and soon will on PS3, not to mention the handheld platforms. 

I had planned on waiting for the PC version of SSF4 just because I don't have xbox live and I have a good gaming pc, and it is a great deal at 35-40$. With this knowledge I'll reluctantly get it on my xbox, but I'll get it used certainly, which still provides capcom with no revenue. After purchasing CIV5 on steam I'll use what would've been my SSF4 money on COD:Black ops and Cataclysm - and grab SSF4 when it's 15 bucks at gamestop. Thanks capcom!

dekoboko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By dekoboko

So yeah, Why is Dead Rising 2 coming to PC then?  Is this a world market problem or is Capcom just jumping off GFWL bus like everybody else.  Really how much work would they really need to put into the port? And do they really think there is a market outside of steam anymore?

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By cnlmullen

Piracy probably has nothing to do with why Super Street Fighter sold poorly on the PC; The fact that it is a fighting game does. 

Fighting games are social games best played with a console controller. If you have a PC and an Xbox 360 most people will buy the 360 version on account of this. And people who don't own an Xbox probably don't like fighting games (if they did they'd have one)... and so it's to imagine a case where someone would buy the PC version.

Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Gilsham
    @cnlmullen said:
    " Piracy probably has nothing to do with why Super Street Fighter sold poorly on the PC; The fact that it is a fighting game does.  Fighting games are social games best played with a console controller. If you have a PC and an Xbox 360 most people will buy the 360 version on account of this. And people who don't own an Xbox probably don't like fighting games (if they did they'd have one)... and so it's to imagine a case where someone would buy the PC version. "
    This makes no sense all the console controllers  work with a pc the xbox ones esp, and it has online multi which I'm pretty sure most hard core people play because the cream there mate, also pretty sure there is plenty of people with only a pc that would like to play fighters I mean there is a reason that mugan is a thing, also also I do have an xbox box but don't wish to pay for multi so anything I'd play online I get on the pc
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#97  Edited By captain_clayman

FUCK. 

a steam only version is more fair than NO version!  it's not like there's people who cant use steam!  if they dont have the sys reqs for it there's no way they can play street fighter.  steam is free.  it's not unfair to put games on steam only.

hunterzolomon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By hunterzolomon

i got  sf 4 for free from my apple rep  at work and it ran like crap on my pc 

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By cnlmullen
    @gilsham said:
    " @cnlmullen said:
    " Piracy probably has nothing to do with why Super Street Fighter sold poorly on the PC; The fact that it is a fighting game does.  Fighting games are social games best played with a console controller. If you have a PC and an Xbox 360 most people will buy the 360 version on account of this. And people who don't own an Xbox probably don't like fighting games (if they did they'd have one)... and so it's to imagine a case where someone would buy the PC version. "
    This makes no sense all the console controllers  work with a pc the xbox ones esp, and it has online multi which I'm pretty sure most hard core people play because the cream there mate, also pretty sure there is plenty of people with only a pc that would like to play fighters I mean there is a reason that mugan is a thing, also also I do have an xbox box but don't wish to pay for multi so anything I'd play online I get on the pc "  
    1. Sitting upright, like you would have to on a PC, ruins the fighting game experience for me (and so does spending 15 minutes setting something up so you don't have to sit upright).
    2. playing with flesh and blood human beings and friends is always better than playing online. Even if you play online you will want to have that option.
    3. Standardized controllers mean a fairer fight online and in person
    4. Dealing with controllers on a PC is a drag.
    5. Xbox 360s are cheaper than gaming PCs. If you are partial to fighting games (or any genre typically associated with consoles) and can afford a gaming PC, you probably already own a Xbox 360.

Active gamers who don't have a 360 and like fighting games are probably fairly rare. That easily accounts for the sales difference.
    ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By ThePhenomenal1

i think we all need to send capcom a link to this page to let them kno whats up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.