Super Street Fighter IV Won’t Be Fighting On The PC

• 113 results
#101 Posted by cspiffo (869 posts) -

Well, Guess I'm not getting SFIV anymore.  What a shame.  Capcom just lost a customer for this game.

#102 Posted by Sagalla (218 posts) -

I don't think they are revealing their hand here.  What Capcom really wants is to make money on these extra characters as DLC for consoles - rather than include all those extra constumes and new characters for nothing on the PC. 

#103 Edited by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Archaen said:

" @XII_Sniper said:

" Unfair to those who don't have steam? I must know how many people fall into this demographic. So I can beat them over the head till they get it. "

If given the opportunity I will purchase physical goods over Steam every time. When it comes down to it you don't actually own anything you buy on Steam. "
And if you had any idea what you were talking about (which clearly you do not), you would know that you don't actually own anything you purchase in terms of software regardless of medium.  This has been proven in the death of the First Sale Doctrine in the US just recently.  Of course, this only applies (so far) in the United States, just to be clear.
#104 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -
 " @cnlmullen said:
" Piracy probably has nothing to do with why Super Street Fighter sold poorly on the PC."

It sold really well. Like, very, very well.
#105 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1094 posts) -
@cnlmullen:  your argument is flawed.
#106 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2778 posts) -
@ThePhenomenal1 said:
"i think we all need to send capcom a link to this page to let them kno whats up. "

Indeed. I, too, would like Capcom to know that there are people complaining on the internet about their decision.
#107 Posted by akumous (92 posts) -

Is the author of this article disconnected from reality or something?  Maybe I read it wrong but was he trying to justify the difficulty of pirating SFIV with online enabled features? It has been done and I've heard many stories of pirated games that are playable online. Capcom has made a sound decision of not making a PC port because everyone knows that the users that are crying for a PC port doesn't want to buy a legitimate copy.

#108 Posted by akumous (92 posts) -

Furthermore, the consoles today are really affordable, extremely affordable regardless if they are used or new, so anyone that really wants to play the game could. I know SF purist already have the game and those who are curious of it already have the game as well.

#109 Posted by Archaen (136 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @Archaen said:

" @XII_Sniper said:

" Unfair to those who don't have steam? I must know how many people fall into this demographic. So I can beat them over the head till they get it. "

If given the opportunity I will purchase physical goods over Steam every time. When it comes down to it you don't actually own anything you buy on Steam. "
And if you had any idea what you were talking about (which clearly you do not), you would know that you don't actually own anything you purchase in terms of software regardless of medium.  This has been proven in the death of the First Sale Doctrine in the US just recently.  Of course, this only applies (so far) in the United States, just to be clear. "
It also doesn't apply to games yet, even on the PC platform. It has only been applied to productivity software. Games are probably next, but that's debatable, and you should fully expect the issue to make its way from the 9th circuit to the supreme court before all is said and done.

To make the Steam problem quite clear, when I purchase a non-valve game in a store I have a physical disk in my possession. No one can stop me from installing it (I don't buy pc games with activation drm). When I buy a game from Steam Valve can refuse to let me install it. If valve went out of business for some reason all my store purchased games would still work and my Steam ones wouldn't.
#110 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Archaen:  OK, sure.  You go on believing whatever you want to believe, I'll stay here in reality instead.  Licensed software works the same, regardless of medium.  
#111 Edited by mewarmo990 (837 posts) -
@akumous said:

" Is the author of this article disconnected from reality or something?  Maybe I read it wrong but was he trying to justify the difficulty of pirating SFIV with online enabled features? It has been done and I've heard many stories of pirated games that are playable online. Capcom has made a sound decision of not making a PC port because everyone knows that the users that are crying for a PC port doesn't want to buy a legitimate copy. "

Read the last few paragraphs of the article. Kessler does briefly address the possibility (certainty, I'd say) that pirated copies of SF4 were played online. Playing cracked games online also requires a bit of fiddling with virtual LAN software, although it's not nearly as hard as it used to be. Nonetheless, the majority of users playing pirated games still can't play them online if only because of the relative inconvenience of getting faux online play to work as opposed to the single player-only game, so it's not really an issue in the eyes of the publishers.

It doesn't change the fact that it's far easier to pirate games on the PC than on any other platform, not to mention that the console gaming market is much larger than that of the PC. Still, this news makes me sad as I enjoyed the hell out of SF4 on GFWL. At least we will be getting Dead Rising 2 on the PC, and for $40, which is a pleasant surprise.
#112 Posted by Archaen (136 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @Archaen:  OK, sure.  You go on believing whatever you want to believe, I'll stay here in reality instead.  Licensed software works the same, regardless of medium.   "
It doesn't matter. My license for The Witcher, for instance, is valid in perpetuity no matter what companies go out of business. I am free to install and uninstall it as many times as I want, forever, as long as I have the disk. If Valve goes out of business I lose my copies of Left4Dead 1 and 2, Company of Heroes, Freedom Force, etc. Steam is a rental service with very long rental periods.
#113 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Yay for long rentals I guess.

#114 Posted by Archaen (136 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:

" Yay for long rentals I guess. "

That's definitely one way to look at it. I think Steam is a great service, and I use it, but it's definitely not a one stop shop for everyone, and you definitely don't own what you buy there (or even have a permanent license to use it). I buy cheap games on Steam but make sure to buy a physical copy of all the games I would be pissed to lose access to.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.