Switching to Dudley?

#1 Posted by Gooddoggy (410 posts) -

I started SFIV maining Cammy, then switched to Sakura and am now dabbling with Honda.  I'm not terribly skilled, but I get the odd win here and there.  I'm thinking of switching to Dudley when Super comes out ... I really like the character design, and he looks like he's pretty strong.  SFIV is the first in the series of played since SFII in the arcades, so I have no idea what to expect.  Any Dudley veterans out there want to share what they know?
#2 Edited by Luke (1609 posts) -

I think Dudley's gunna be the new Ken in Super

He can Cross-Counter Ultras.  I did this last weekend against a Dee Jay player.  He gets it for free, while characters like Cammy and Fei Long have to waste Ultra.  I'm not sure if an Armor Breaking Ultra would squelch this though like Gouken

Dudley can also do 5 SRK's in a row, as a combo.  I think it was L SRK > F SRK + FADC into Super Combo (3 SRK's). 

Dudley has kind of weird normals and not the best range, but when he gets in he's hard to deal with.  Also he has tons of mix-up game and overhead hitting options.  Although, a lot of his specials seemed not safe, even light ones like his SRK, which has no real hit confirm I could find for the combo I posted above.   Even though maybe I was just mashing M / H too much? 

He also has a TON of Target Combos, making him super newb friendly... like I think they were L Kick > M Kick > M Punch > H Punch and also Down + L Kick > M Punch > H Punch.  

His Ultras always seemed to connect too, which I was pretty much was just randomly tossing them out there and almost always scoring the hit.  Maybe just due to luck or scrubs. 

Beyond that, he can glide under fireballs with his Haduken + K move to really close the gap on Shotos and such.  

I think Dudley in the right hands is gunna be super dangerous.  That's what I got from playing him in Super last weekend. 

#3 Posted by demontium (4709 posts) -
@Gooddoggy: He us hella fast and 1050 hp. 

so yeah, I think so. 

.... also I am definitely a gentleman.
#4 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@demontium: Blanka mains are not gentlemen. The polar opposite in fact.
#5 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I want to play as Dudley because he has a kickass character model.

#6 Posted by Gambit (727 posts) -

i'm really excited about him. I played alot of dudley in third strike so I will be trying him as my main in super along with deejay. But I also mained ken in third strike but don't like using him in SF4 so we will see how it goes.

#7 Posted by DirrtyNinja (715 posts) -
Theyve given him too much hp imo.
#8 Posted by Jemenez (274 posts) -

Dudley is going to be too popular, therefore I am not playing him. D; 

unrelated :Why does Makoto have 950 when JURI has the same hp as her?wtf

#9 Posted by Vade (393 posts) -

Only if he's the best character in the game.

...what?

#10 Posted by demontium (4709 posts) -
@Stang said:
" @demontium: Blanka mains are not gentlemen. The polar opposite in fact. "
I... I thought I gave everyone the memo that I would not use blanka unless there was a tourney >.> 

But yeah, blanka is a little bastard.
#11 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Alright, we're doing a Dudley-only tournament. 16 people, everybody has to use Dudley. We will find out who the best Dudley is out of 16 of them! 16 Dudley's face to face in a battle of speed, precision and gentlemenness.

#12 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

If he had a better voice actor, I'd play him.

What?

#13 Posted by Plasma (931 posts) -

Hey guess what, you have no idea what character you will like. Just wait a couple of weeks.

#14 Posted by Heartbreak (288 posts) -
@Plasma said:
" Hey guess what, you have no idea what character you will like. Just wait a couple of weeks. "
Hey play Tony Hawk
#15 Posted by AniMoney (957 posts) -
@Heartbreak said:
" @Plasma said:
" Hey guess what, you have no idea what character you will like. Just wait a couple of weeks. "
Hey play Tony Hawk "
is this some new diss? 

uhh, I mean... 

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
#16 Posted by Heartbreak (288 posts) -
@AniMoney said:
" @Heartbreak said:
" @Plasma said:
Hey play Tony Hawk "
is this some new diss?  uhh, I mean...  OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH "
Fighting with conviction leads to victory.
#17 Posted by AniMoney (957 posts) -
@Heartbreak said:
" @AniMoney said:
" @Heartbreak said:
" @Plasma said:
Hey play Tony Hawk "
is this some new diss?  uhh, I mean...  OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH "
Fighting with conviction leads to victory. "
I understand now.
#18 Posted by lordofultima (6249 posts) -

Profound sadness for dudley, I'm playing Guy. SORRY PUNKS

#19 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I fight with a confused look on my face. This seems to work.

#20 Edited by Nophex (19 posts) -

Used to main Sagat and Balrog. Im ditching Balrog definately, but im torn between Dudley and Cody.
They are both so fun to play.
Dydley is a real fast character and has alot of health and some amazing combos.
Cody does alot of damage over a short time and can ble quite annoying to play against (kinda like Sagat) Wich is a good thing.

EDIT: Guy is boring :P

#21 Posted by Iceman2913 (508 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" Profound sadness for dudley, I'm playing Guy. SORRY PUNKS "
no I am playing Guy :(
#22 Posted by lordofultima (6249 posts) -
@Iceman2913 said:
" @lordofultima said:
no I am playing Guy :( "
Oh dear, I knew this would happen eventually. Guess we'll just have to fight to the death in real life and see who gets to play Guy. Because apparently multiple people can't play the same character.
#23 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" @Iceman2913 said:
" @lordofultima said:
Oh dear, I knew this would happen eventually. Guess we'll just have to fight to the death in real life and see who gets to play Guy. Because apparently multiple people can't play the same character. "
You're going to end up with Akuma, so shut it!
#24 Posted by Iceman2913 (508 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" @Iceman2913 said:
" @lordofultima said:
Oh dear, I knew this would happen eventually. Guess we'll just have to fight to the death in real life and see who gets to play Guy. Because apparently multiple people can't play the same character. "
your dam straight >:( see you in the ring..
#25 Posted by Thrawn1 (1340 posts) -

dudley is too good. he can connect into ultra of super off of anything. he doesn't even need to fadc in order to do srk -ultra. if he lands his sweep prepare to lose half your life. don't even bother jumping because his jumping normals are godlike. i just watched a guy who hasn't played any fighting games since 3rd strike pick up dudley in super and without even going into training mode start beating people who play constantly.

he does seem to have trouble against honda/balrog though

#26 Posted by lordofultima (6249 posts) -
@Napalm said:
" @lordofultima said:
" @Iceman2913 said:
" @lordofultima said:
You're going to end up with Akuma, so shut it! "
Well of course I'm not switching mains, there's a thing called playing more than one character though, Napalm. I play Honda, doesn't mean I stopped playing Akuma.
#27 Posted by Thrawn1 (1340 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" @Napalm said:
" @lordofultima said:
" @Iceman2913 said:
" @lordofultima said:
You're going to end up with Akuma, so shut it! "
Well of course I'm not switching mains, there's a thing called playing more than one character though, Napalm. I play Honda, doesn't mean I stopped playing Akuma. "
Just so you know, your akuma std is spreading around dallas. Tristen is messing around with akuma (no homo) and binh (the sagat player from final round) has decided to main akuma in super
#28 Posted by Iceman2913 (508 posts) -
@Thrawn: 
o man I hope I don't see a lot of akuma players
#29 Posted by lordofultima (6249 posts) -
@Thrawn: Especially since he's even more beast in Super, I imagine everyone is going to ruin the sanctity of Akuma. Oh well.
#30 Posted by Thrawn1 (1340 posts) -

what exactly is better about him other than he didn't get nerfed as hard as the rest of the top tier cast?

#31 Posted by Onigenko (335 posts) -
@Thrawn: Well, now he at least has an Ultra he can combo into.
#32 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Dudley has bad match ups already against Zangief and T.Hawk, he's very powerful in a lot of ways but he's no Sagat. (Vanilla SFIV Sagat I mean)

#33 Posted by Mezmero (1900 posts) -

Maybe.  He was one of my favorite characters in the SFIII games so I'll probably end up using him a lot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.