The Trial Help Thread

#1 Edited by YetiAntics (1492 posts) -

This thread can serve to give people an idea on how to beat a certain trial that has been a bane of existence for far too long... 

with that being said, Any early birds know the correct timing for Dudley's Trial 24? 
I though it would be easy to mash qcf after the first Jet Upper to get the Super but... it just does not come out! 
Bad enough it too me a while to get those standing jabs down. 

Any tips?

#2 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

I got one for you people. Hakan's trial were you have to link 3 crouching shorts. Is there some RSF shit going on here that I don't know about? I have all his others trials done, I am completely lost on this one though. Is this like a .023455 frame link? What the hell?!

#3 Posted by jaycee13 (523 posts) -
@Stang: have you tried doing it oiled up?
#4 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@jaycee13: No I have not, I would have not even considered doing that. Thank you! If that is the problem, then that truly is some RSF nonsense. Why would anybody know something like that? Jeez.
#5 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -
@Stang said:
" @jaycee13: No I have not, I would have not even considered doing that. Thank you! If that is the problem, then that truly is some RSF nonsense. Why would anybody know something like that? Jeez. "
I dunno that kinda seems obvious you need to oil up for that sort of thing. I guess it could say "oiled" in brackets or something though.
#6 Posted by jaycee13 (523 posts) -
@Scooper said:
" @Stang said:
" @jaycee13: No I have not, I would have not even considered doing that. Thank you! If that is the problem, then that truly is some RSF nonsense. Why would anybody know something like that? Jeez. "
I dunno that kinda seems obvious you need to oil up for that sort of thing. I guess it could say "oiled" in brackets or something though. "
Well maybe some people's mindset dont stray far from f,d,df, FIRE
#7 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -
@jaycee13 said:
" @Scooper said:
" @Stang said:
I dunno that kinda seems obvious you need to oil up for that sort of thing. I guess it could say "oiled" in brackets or something though. "
Well maybe some people's mindset dont stray far from f,d,df, FIRE "
Yeah! You got him good! huh huh huh huh! High Five!
#8 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@jaycee13 said:
" @Scooper said:
" @Stang said:
Well maybe some people's mindset dont stray far from f,d,df, FIRE "
You guys are high on crack if you think it is obvious you need to be oiled up to do 3 crouching shorts in a row. He has a few later combos that are nothing but links, none of them require you to be oiled up. 

Would you have know you had to run stop fierce Fuerte's trial if it were not for you youtube/forums? If you say yes, then there is no question you are high on crack.
#9 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -
@Stang: Wouldn't of known about how to RSF with Fuerte but I think it's more obvious about Hakan being oiled up. Seth's been banging on for ages about how Hakan's got more links and things that are easier to do when oiled up. I thought it was a given. I'd be oiled up during all those trials even if you didn't have to, I thought it gave him a bigger frame window for most links. I may be wrong about that though.
#10 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@Scooper: Ah, I have not been paying any attention to anything Hakan related so I had no idea being oiled up had properties like that. I figured it just increased damage output.
#11 Posted by mubress (1517 posts) -

Excuse me but why would you not be oiled up anyway? If it offered no improvements at all I would still do it.

Actually, I'd do it in RL if I could play some Super right now, but alas UK release date suckage stikes again.

#12 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@mubress: BECAUSE I HAVE NOT PAYED ANY ATTENTION TO HAKAN, OK!!??!

He may as well be Gen to me, why waste time learning about a character I have no interest in? I will learn all I need to know about him by fighting him.
#13 Posted by VicRattlehead (1400 posts) -
@Stang:  how are kens trails sir?

anyone attempted balrogs??? if so how be them as well?
:D
#14 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@VicRattlehead: 

Ken's trials took me about 30 minutes. All the crap from IV are back, plus a couple annoying ones. The one that pissed me off was #17. It is jump roundhouse - cr. jab - cr. jab - cr. jab - cr.jab - ex tatsu. It is retarded, that trial took me the longest by far. Another new one that is kind of annoying has 2 1 frame links in it. The trial is cr. lp - cr. fp xx hadoken fadc cr. lp - cr. fp xx fp srk. It can be tough, just get your timing down and it is all good.

Hard trial 24 aka hard trial 5 in IV is back and still is a bitch. The combo is not hard in my opinion, it is the fucking shortcuts that mess you up. 3/4s of the time they give you Super when you dp because of the motion.
#15 Edited by VicRattlehead (1400 posts) -
@Stang:  dam it i cant get kens trial 5 done on regular sf4 lol guess ima just have to keep on trying it 
thanks for the reply
#16 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@VicRattlehead: Once you learn the timing of the jab - strong link, the key is to learn stick positioning. Try to hold down back when you do the links, after the links let the stick go to neutral briefly then mash dat dp. The air ex tatsu is not tough, just takes a bit of practice. Go to training mode, fierce dp fadc then immediately jump, when you reach the apex do the tatsu.

You will get it, it just requires a lot of practice. The trial was seen as one of the hardest in IV for a reason!
#17 Posted by demontium (4710 posts) -

24 juri is hard as shit.

#18 Posted by lordofultima (6270 posts) -

I'm like half way done with these, still have the tough ones left (viper, abel, fuerte) as well as other ones that may or may not be difficult. I DO NOT KNOW BUT I SHALL COMPLETE THEM BECAUSE I AM GREAT. Found my headset thingy too. yay.

#19 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Ibuki-10 

I just do not think I am getting the timing right.  

And 16 

#20 Edited by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@Stang said:

" @mubress: BECAUSE I HAVE NOT PAYED ANY ATTENTION TO HAKAN, OK!!??!  He may as well be Gen to me, why waste time learning about a character I have no interest in? I will learn all I need to know about him by fighting him. "

I'm sorry, but it was pretty damn obvious. Why would you even have the ability to oil up if it didn't do anything? There's no good reason to not consider trying it. 

This is what happens when you just stick to that asshole Ken.
#21 Edited by SpecialBuddy (1112 posts) -

As the FIRST ONE on this site to finish ALL the trials. I am up to helping all you execution lacking slow pokes out.

Go ahead ask me anything. 

Keep in mind my best advise is always going to be keep trying. You'll get it eventually. I'm just sharing ways that helped me.

@demontium said:

" 24 juri is hard as shit. "

This one is hard mainly because your fingers have to bend in an un-godly position to make sure you hold your fireballs along with pushing the buttons you need for the combo. I found that holding down the fireballs with my index and middle finger while pushing the other buttons with my ring and pinky the easiest way to go. Now you might not have big ass hands like I do so i suggest you just find the best position for you. Once you find that the rest of the combo is fairly easy.

@The_Laughing_Man said:

" Ibuki-10  I just do not think I am getting the timing right.   And 16  "

Ibuki's J.HP has a weird angle on it so make sure you hit it early. After than just make sure that you are hitting forward when you input the MK. The button presses are fairly quick and lenient so you don't really have to worry about timing.

As for the 16th just make sure you are doing the command grab quick enough. I know a guy who does special cancels super slow and I have to keep reminding him that you are canceling the normal, not linking the special after it. @PantyshotMQN said:

"Any early birds know the correct timing for Dudley's Trial 24? I though it would be easy to mash qcf after the first Jet Upper to get the Super but... it just does not come out! Bad enough it too me a while to get those standing jabs down.  Any tips? "

Do a Jab SRK. That way it acts like Ryu's does with his super. You can just do it right after you recover from the J.SRK and you should have plenty of time to get the super out.
#22 Posted by Onigenko (335 posts) -

This is kinda general, but what is the motion for Super Jump Cancel to Ultra for Viper and Ibuki?

#23 Posted by sfighter21 (798 posts) -

Only got to play the game for about 2 hours before heading to Dallas (where I'm at right now.  feelin' the NEED to play the game!!)  Anyway, the only trials I completed were Rose, Abel, Cody, and Hakan.  I got to Dan's second to final one (where I have to do the EX air dan-tatsu) and gave up, lol.  But yeah, Hakan doesn't have combos, just some random links.  Gotta OIL UP!!

#24 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1112 posts) -
@Onigenko said:
" This is kinda general, but what is the motion for Super Jump Cancel to Ultra for Viper and Ibuki? "
There are two ways to do it. There is the QCF, QCF-Up forward. This gives you the inputs for the ultra you need along with giving you the input for the super jump. I find it easier to do both QCF with the Up forward just because it helps me make sure that I'm doing as least one.
#25 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@SpecialBuddy:  Help me please! What is the secret to Viper trial 17 (guessing here) when you have to do an ex thunder knuckle - lp seismo ultra 2? No matter how I do it, I cannot get off the ground soon enough to get U2 off properly. Shit, half the time I cannot even get the lp seismo to hit. Whats the dealy yo?
#26 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1112 posts) -
@Stang said:
" @SpecialBuddy:  Help me please! What is the secret to Viper trial 17 (guessing here) when you have to do an ex thunder knuckle - lp seismo ultra 2? No matter how I do it, I cannot get off the ground soon enough to get U2 off properly. Shit, half the time I cannot even get the lp seismo to hit. Whats the dealy yo? "
All I can tell you is to do everything faster. Do the EX Knuckle sooner after the focus. Do the lp seismo as soon and the ex knuckle finishes and just jump straight up to do the ultra. Not much more to this one. Just do it faster.
#27 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@SpecialBuddy: Thanks man. I think the main problem is that I am trying to do the super jump at an angle opposed to straight up like you are suggesting. I will give it a try later today.

You going to Evo with Thrawn?
#28 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1112 posts) -

No unfortunately I, and Im pretty sure him also, dont have the money to go. Spent the money going to Final Round.

#29 Posted by lordofultima (6270 posts) -
@SpecialBuddy said:
" No unfortunately I, and Im pretty sure him also, dont have the money to go. Spent the money going to Final Round. "
Yeah we spent our money on the shit tournament. MAN
#30 Posted by Deathcrush (52 posts) -

I got sad when i saw this tread, in Norway this game don`t get out until 7th of may. 
Just needed to share the pain

#31 Edited by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

Can I get some help on Hakan 19? You have to do 2 focus attacks then the oil ultra where he has to land on you. I can't seem to get under the enemy fast enough to activate the ultra. Anybody available to give a step-by-step? I watched a video and well... still can't do it. Maybe I just have to work on it. 

Edit: Nevermind. Got it. FInal focus had to be a level one to make Dan go up higher.

#32 Posted by YetiAntics (1492 posts) -

still waiting on tips from the OP =/
#33 Posted by AlKusanagi (963 posts) -
@Vinchenzo said:
" Can I get some help on Hakan 19? You have to do 2 focus attacks then the oil ultra where he has to land on you. I can't seem to get under the enemy fast enough to activate the ultra. Anybody available to give a step-by-step? I watched a video and well... still can't do it. Maybe I just have to work on it.  Edit: Nevermind. Got it. FInal focus had to be a level one to make Dan go up higher. "
I'm stuck on that one myself. I seem to be just 1/10th of a second too slow after the second FA. Do you need to dash between them?
#34 Edited by Ulong (447 posts) -

This is a general input question and not really trial specific, but I figured I'd ask here.

I have a major problem doing ibuki's Ultra 1 (the grab one, FDB FDB all punch.). I can never seem to get the input right untill I give up, pretend I'm zangeif, and just do 2 full circles. Is this just an issue with me using an Xbox Controller as opposed to a fightstick? Because I can do most inputs but under pressure I allways mess that one up if I try and do it properly

#35 Edited by SpecialBuddy (1112 posts) -
@AlKusanagi said:

" @Vinchenzo said:

" Can I get some help on Hakan 19? You have to do 2 focus attacks then the oil ultra where he has to land on you. I can't seem to get under the enemy fast enough to activate the ultra. Anybody available to give a step-by-step? I watched a video and well... still can't do it. Maybe I just have to work on it.  Edit: Nevermind. Got it. FInal focus had to be a level one to make Dan go up higher. "
I'm stuck on that one myself. I seem to be just 1/10th of a second too slow after the second FA. Do you need to dash between them? "]  
 I did it by doing a level 2 focus attack-->dash--->level 1 focus---->dash---->ultra.

@PantyshotMQN said:

" still waiting on tips from the OP =/ "

I answered it in the really long post at the top of page 2.

@Ulong said:

" This is a general input question and not really trial specific, but I figured I'd ask here.  I have a major problem doing ibuki's Ultra 1 (the grab one, FDB FDB all punch.). I can never seem to get the input right untill I give up, pretend I'm zangeif, and just do 2 full circles. Is this just an issue with me using an Xbox Controller as opposed to a fightstick? Because I can do most inputs but under pressure I allways mess that one up if I try and do it properly "

It could be the controller. I had trouble doing half circles when I played pad so it could be that, but that was my problem. I say just go into training mode and practice it more. And hey, there is nothing wrong with pretending your Zangeif!
#36 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" @SpecialBuddy said:
" No unfortunately I, and Im pretty sure him also, dont have the money to go. Spent the money going to Final Round. "
Yeah we spent our money on the shit tournament. MAN "
You are going. I fucking demand it. Yes, the curse word was appropriate. I WILL SEE YOU AT EVO.
#37 Posted by Jeffsekai (7049 posts) -
@SpecialBuddy: Gez, nice posts here.  
#38 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1112 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" @SpecialBuddy: Gez, nice posts here.   "
Thats what I do.
#39 Posted by lordofultima (6270 posts) -

Stuck on Dhalsim's last two.

#40 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1112 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" Stuck on Dhalsim's last two. "
23 gave me trouble too. Im sure you know how to set it up so I wont type that out. You just have to do it fast and while they are still getting hit by the ultra. Other words you would just reset them. 

24 is kind of like seths 24. You have to it in the corner with b.hp and level 2 focuses. Also make sure you are doing the 2nd b.hp fast enough to were you arnt just reseting them because of dhalsim's slow dash. 

Dont know if this helps.
#41 Posted by lordofultima (6270 posts) -
@SpecialBuddy said:
" @lordofultima said:
" Stuck on Dhalsim's last two. "
23 gave me trouble too. Im sure you know how to set it up so I wont type that out. You just have to do it fast and while they are still getting hit by the ultra. Other words you would just reset them.  24 is kind of like seths 24. You have to it in the corner with b.hp and level 2 focuses. Also make sure you are doing the 2nd b.hp fast enough to were you arnt just reseting them because of dhalsim's slow dash.  Dont know if this helps. "
Yeah makes sense now, did them. The last one was harder just due to the wrong fierce coming out, or the headbutt resetting them.
#42 Posted by Fallen189 (5050 posts) -

Is there anyway to show the input display on screen instead of the name? It's making it very hard to do anything past 10 on a lot of people

#43 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19377 posts) -
@Fallen189 said:
" Is there anyway to show the input display on screen instead of the name? It's making it very hard to do anything past 10 on a lot of people "
Back button for Xbox 360, Select button for PS3.
#44 Posted by Fallen189 (5050 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @Fallen189 said:
" Is there anyway to show the input display on screen instead of the name? It's making it very hard to do anything past 10 on a lot of people "
Back button for Xbox 360, Select button for PS3. "
Sorry I should have been more clear. Is there a way to make them stick? It's a bit counter intuitive to have to keep checking my moves over and over.
#45 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19377 posts) -
@Fallen189: Oh, no there isn't.  In the first game it was like that, but I guess they changed it because of SDTV owners or something.
#46 Posted by Fallen189 (5050 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @Fallen189: Oh, no there isn't.  In the first game it was like that, but I guess they changed it because of SDTV owners or something. "
That's just bloody daft. I don't know how someone new like myself is meant to learn challenge stuff =[
#47 Posted by mubress (1517 posts) -

Stuck on Makoto's last trial. Can do the Hayate cancel but haven't even linked the cr. jab once after it. There some way of doing the cancel super fast?

#48 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1112 posts) -
@mubress said:
" Stuck on Makoto's last trial. Can do the Hayate cancel but haven't even linked the cr. jab once after it. There some way of doing the cancel super fast? "
How are you doing it right now?
#49 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Done Ibukis, nearly had Vipers last trial done but gave up because I realised I was playing on a banned 360 which meant my profile will be corrupted when I get my new, unmodded 360.

No point doing the harder trials if there's a chance my save will be screwed too. That would suck.

Probably not going to bother getting the achievement for doing them all anyway, never going to play Gen, Viper or Fuerte so screw spending too much time on them for stupid achievements.

#50 Posted by copycatzen (816 posts) -

I got guile's already, they are not very hard, as a matter of fact charge characters combos must be the easier ones, but not sure. 

I did it with a SF4 pad and I want to do the remaining trials but... well... so I applied for the stupid amazon credit card in order to get $40 off the price for the SSF4 fight stick, and since I want to force myself to get use to the stick I wanna do the trails with the stick, but amazon is still reviewing my credit history, and it has been 15 days already since I applied and today they called me asking for additional information.... really? wtf, what have they been doing all this time, I should have been approved by now. I can just go ahead and buy the stick and use the promotional credit for a future purchase, but I do not buy things in amazon very often, so I dont know. 

What do you guys think? get a stick already, or do the trials with the pad, or F'ing wait until amazon gives me the credit card?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.