The Trial Help Thread

#-49 Posted by Chokobo (1228 posts) -

Can't do Makoto's Yamate w/o canceling.  My short button is fucked.  Bummed.

#-48 Posted by mubress (1517 posts) -
@SpecialBuddy said:
" @mubress said:
" Stuck on Makoto's last trial. Can do the Hayate cancel but haven't even linked the cr. jab once after it. There some way of doing the cancel super fast? "
How are you doing it right now? "
I was pressing a kick button after the Hayate to cancel it but apparently you can hold it down during the move and she will cancel as soon as possible. Didn't realise that.
#-47 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -
@mnzy said:
" I need help with the FADC combos of the charge characters. Yesterday I ran through 22 of Chuns trials, but the two with the "EX-kikouken, FADC, something" give me a headache. Is there some trick that I just don't see? What I'm doing right now is basically Focus as fast as possible after the EX-kikouken and then try to load the focus till it just reaches level 2. But it NEVER HITS. It will either be too early with a level1-hit or too late, which results in a blocked level2.  I need help :< "
You just gotta time it just right. You gotta do the EX fireball and focus cancel it and hit them just right. Not too early or they don't 'crumple' and not too late so they block it. It's just a timing thing. Keep trying but each failed attempt just slightly tweak the timing, you'll get it eventualy. Those combos are never easy. They take a while to do for most people.
#-46 Posted by Illmatic (1358 posts) -

Hakan's two focus attacks into his second ultra. Am I supposed to get the timing so that when they crouch and then fall on their stomach they instead fall on me? I have every other trial for him but this one is just a mystery to me.

Additionally, Juri's last trial if I'm not mistaken is impossible for me on a normal controller. I've always scoffed at people who say you need a fight stick to do these trials as I did most of vanilla SF4's trials with my trusty controller before the wire stopped working but this trial leaves my fingers in a weird pretzel. Does it really require a fight stick or am I thinking of it wrong?

#-45 Posted by hungrynun (444 posts) -
@Illmatic: I actually got the Hakan trial in the corner. I used a level 3 focus dash forward and used a level 2 focus for the second. The level 2 focus causes the dude to get some lift off the ground. That's when you ultra. Timing is super tricky but it's a hilarious set up.
#-44 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1110 posts) -
@mnzy said:
" I need help with the FADC combos of the charge characters. Yesterday I ran through 22 of Chuns trials, but the two with the "EX-kikouken, FADC, something" give me a headache. Is there some trick that I just don't see? What I'm doing right now is basically Focus as fast as possible after the EX-kikouken and then try to load the focus till it just reaches level 2. But it NEVER HITS. It will either be too early with a level1-hit or too late, which results in a blocked level2.  I need help :< "
I can help you if you tell me what trial you are on. 
#-43 Posted by lordofultima (6207 posts) -

For Ibuki's 24th trial: 

• Crouching LK
  • Crouching LP
  • Standing LK
  • Standing MK
  • High Jump
  • Hashinsho

The standing LK > MK should be a target combo, and to make the high jump cancel easier, you can start from down, do an entire 360 motion anti-clockwise, and end at forward + 3K. This is like a fail safe way to do this trial with ease.
#-42 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
@Illmatic said:
" Hakan's two focus attacks into his second ultra. Am I supposed to get the timing so that when they crouch and then fall on their stomach they instead fall on me? I have every other trial for him but this one is just a mystery to me.  Additionally, Juri's last trial if I'm not mistaken is impossible for me on a normal controller. I've always scoffed at people who say you need a fight stick to do these trials as I did most of vanilla SF4's trials with my trusty controller before the wire stopped working but this trial leaves my fingers in a weird pretzel. Does it really require a fight stick or am I thinking of it wrong? "
You are supposed to crumple them twice and of course be oiled up. After (or more like during) the second crumple I buffered the ultra with the dash forward
#-41 Posted by Rirobuge (163 posts) -

Any tips for ryu's 14th level?

#-40 Posted by lordofultima (6207 posts) -

Finally did all the trials, ASK ME ANYTHING. Maybe.

#-39 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1110 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" Finally did all the trials, ASK ME ANYTHING. Maybe. "
Slow poke.
#-38 Posted by lordofultima (6207 posts) -
@SpecialBuddy said:
" @lordofultima said:
Slow poke. "
I dunno, from what I see you have 230 points worth of achievements, and I have 690 points worth of achievements. Fast poke?
#-37 Edited by SpecialBuddy (1110 posts) -
@lordofultima said:

" @SpecialBuddy said:

" @lordofultima said:

Slow poke. "
I dunno, from what I see you have 230 points worth of achievements, and I have 690 points worth of achievements. Fast poke? "
No. Im just not going to rush something that will happen on its own.
#-36 Posted by lordofultima (6207 posts) -
@SpecialBuddy said:
" @lordofultima said:

" @SpecialBuddy said:

" @lordofultima said:

Slow poke. "
I dunno, from what I see you have 230 points worth of achievements, and I have 690 points worth of achievements. Fast poke? "
No. Im just not going to rush something that will happen on its own. "
But a lot of those achievements straight up wouldn't happen on their own. Beating it with every character on hardest? Winning each round of arcade in 20 seconds or less? Getting C Rank with every character in the game? I'm probably going to have to game endless battle/team lobbies, since I never create games and only join them. Gambit will be up for it I'm sure.
#-35 Posted by AniMoney (957 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
Was it even worth it?
#-34 Posted by lordofultima (6207 posts) -
@AniMoney said:
" @lordofultima said:
Was it even worth it? "
50 points, yes.
#-33 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -
@lordofultima: Hours of work for imaginary points? I was thinking of doing it, but more for a basic understanding of the new characters.
#-32 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" @SpecialBuddy said:
" @lordofultima said:

" @SpecialBuddy said:

" @lordofultima said:

Slow poke. "
No. Im just not going to rush something that will happen on its own. "
But a lot of those achievements straight up wouldn't happen on their own. Beating it with every character on hardest? Winning each round of arcade in 20 seconds or less? Getting C Rank with every character in the game? I'm probably going to have to game endless battle/team lobbies, since I never create games and only join them. Gambit will be up for it I'm sure. "
I am up for doing the level up every character to C rank bullshit.
#-31 Posted by RedSox8933 (2428 posts) -

I can't do Hakan 19. 

Focus Attack 
Focus Attack 
Oil Combination Hold 

I can't do this at all. I've tried it in the corner, I've tried it oiled up, can someone help me?

#-30 Posted by YetiAntics (1489 posts) -
@RedSox8933:
from what i've heard. 
Full Focus, then Lv 2 (after white flash), then Ultra
#-29 Posted by RedSox8933 (2428 posts) -
@PantyshotMQN: I just got it on accident, it's actually Lvl 2 then Lvl 1 then Ultra.
#-28 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" @AniMoney said:
" @lordofultima said:
Was it even worth it? "
50 points, yes. "
whore.
#-27 Posted by Pessh (2454 posts) -

Done up to 19 of Rogs, can't do 7 and 8 though =(

#-26 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

Ken's no.17....what the fuck? I mean, I've occasionally managed the four jabs while dicking around during the other trials, but I'm having a hard time finishing that one. Plus, what is the point? You would NEVER need that in a match. I breezed through Makoto and Guy's, but my own character stumps me. I never really tried the trials in vanilla, so I can't even do the 3 FADCd DPs. I can't make two hits of the second one land. Whichever one involves two cr.lp to cr.fp links is a pest too.

/whine

#-25 Posted by Zarackus (34 posts) -

Chun-Li level 13. 
Having issue with the timing between the focus attack and kintekishu. Also any input on how to better execute ex lighting kicks would be a great help.

#-24 Edited by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

Cammy level 16 (I still need to do 11 and 12, but I haven't tried those) 
Cr.LP 
Cr.LP 
Cr.LK 
Spiral Arrow 

I'm having trouble getting the final part of the combo.

#-23 Edited by rjayb89 (7717 posts) -

Fucking Dan needs to stop guarding is my general complaint. 

I am unable to consistently pull off moves that require me to pull off two full circles, any shortcuts that I'm very unaware of or am I just too slow?

#-22 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@KingBroly: I am guessing you are having problems with c.LK > SA 

Try using mk SA rather than lk SA. 

I just tried it and that seems to work better for whatever reason. 

But yeah this one was kinda annoying. 

Also don't mash the input, take it slower than you think. 

@rjayb89 said:
" Fucking Dan needs to stop guarding is my general complaint.  I am unable to consistently pull of moves that require me to pull of two full circles, any shortcuts that I'm very unaware of or am I just too slow? "
if he didnt guard it would be more annoying, you would have to watch ever ultra animation and so on. 

You may be doing the 720 (2 circles) to slow, or you may be not doing it right. 

To practice, while jumping into the opponent start at the forward motion, quickly spin your stick twice back to the same spot and hit the input when you land. 

If that doesnt help, just tell me.
#-21 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@Pessh: @Zarackus: @GetEveryone: please give me the inputs and I may be able to help.
#-20 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

@demontium Well I sort of figured that I'd need to mK Spiral Arrow, but my problem is when I do the QCF for the move.

#-19 Posted by rjayb89 (7717 posts) -
@demontium: Thanks for the suggestion, I should be able to try that out later today.  I didn't think of jumping while performing the 720 motion or even doing it in one motion as I stopped and let off the stick once I pulled off one circle, yet I managed to perform some moves thinking that was the way to go.
#-18 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@KingBroly said:
" @demontium Well I sort of figured that I'd need to mK Spiral Arrow, but my problem is when I do the QCF for the move. "
Are you sure? I am guessing that the real error is your timing on the input, as most people tend to get combos like that when they turbo. 

Keep trying and remember to be patient. 

@rjayb89 said:
" @demontium: Thanks for the suggestion, I should be able to try that out later today.  I didn't think of jumping while performing the 720 motion or even doing it in one motion as I stopped and let off the stick once I pulled off one circle, yet I managed to perform some moves thinking that was the way to go. "

Good luck and remember to land with the input. 
#-17 Posted by JJOR64 (18904 posts) -

Anyone want to come to my house and do all the trails for me?

#-16 Posted by Zarackus (34 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @Pessh: @Zarackus: @GetEveryone: please give me the inputs and I may be able to help. "
Focus attack 
back+mk
mk
ex lightning kicks (lk+mk repeatedly)
2 quarter circle forward + all punch buttons
#-15 Posted by dieguy (108 posts) -

I need help with Cody's trial 19. It wants me to j.HP, s.HP, ex zonk, ex Upper but I am having problems going from the s.HP to the ex zonk. 
I have found that is hard to do with a fightpad because I can't hit the HP and hold the other two punches with the same thumb.  Any way to get around this problem?

#-14 Posted by lordofultima (6207 posts) -
@dieguy said:
" I need help with Cody's trial 19. It wants me to j.HP, s.HP, ex zonk, ex Upper but I am having problems going from the s.HP to the ex zonk.  I have found that is hard to do with a fightpad because I can't hit the HP and hold the other two punches with the same thumb.  Any way to get around this problem? "
use 3 fingers, palm facing down.
#-13 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@jonusb: Son, you are a retard.
#-12 Posted by sasnipes (109 posts) -
@Stang said:
" @jonusb: Son, you are a retard. "
This actually made me lol.
Also, being a newb to SF (played SF2 and Third Strike a bit, but just casually), should I focus more on getting through the trials first, beating the single player game with diff chars, training mode, or just jumping into the online and getting crushed for a bit before I get used to the characters? I've got some experience with Guile, and Ken but trying to learn Makato and either Ibuki or Hakan/El Fuerte (I want to have a couple of diff styles so I don't get bored). I can do up to trials 14 or so with most of these guys, then it starts getting hard :P I'd just like to be able to play online and be minimally competitive.
 Maybe I'll see you guys online and give you free wins :P
#-11 Posted by Pessh (2454 posts) -
@sasnipes: Fuck single player, don't go near it unless you want to see the endings. Decide on one character, trials are ok, you'll never use some of them in an actual fight though. After that you'll want to split your time between online and practicing combos in training mode.
#-10 Posted by kagai (107 posts) -

Oh, I see.  If I'm a member of your SSFIV clique, I get to keep my trials post open...but, if I'm not, I get locked with a little short-tempered "use it." comment.  I think I got it.

#-9 Posted by fragor87 (80 posts) -

Not sure if anyone has asked about it but I'm having a hell of a time with Cody's trial 14.  Every time I go to do the super it always misses.  Anyone have any tips?

#-8 Edited by Brake (1088 posts) -
@fragor87: You propably mean 15. You need to buffer the Super so it comes out right after Criminal Upper hits.

Like this.
#-7 Edited by Luke (1609 posts) -
@kagai said: 

" Oh, I see.  If I'm a member of your SSFIV clique, I get to keep my trials post open...but, if I'm not, I get locked with a little short-tempered "use it." comment.  I think I got it. "

No reason to be salty.  This is the only thread needed as of 8 days ago and no other threads have been made/allowed that I've seen, since then. 

Anyway, for Cody Trial 12, which is Standing Medium Punch -> EX Zonk Knuckle (not "Zone" Knuckle like you said, by the way), just hold down LP + HP first, then do the standing MP and let go of everything at the right time.  Super-easy-peasy :)  

@fragor87 said: 

" Not sure if anyone has asked about it but I'm having a hell of a time with Cody's trial 14.  Every time I go to do the super it always misses.  Anyone have any tips? "

I've done this Trial but don't remember what exactly I did.  Maybe when I get home from work I can re-do it and let ya know :) 
#-6 Edited by fragor87 (80 posts) -
@ChineseTea:  You might be right.  The trial is standing HP, criminal upper, and then the super. 

@Luke:  How exactly do I buffer the super?  Sorry I'm still pretty new to this game.
#-5 Edited by Luke (1609 posts) -
@fragor87:  Oh, I just watched it on the tube and that one aint all that bad... no special tricks needed or anything.  

Here it is with hands shown if you need a little more help:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1a1Vq-Q2O4#t=1m21s 

You'll get it!  Gewd luck :) 
#-4 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@Zarackus said:
" @demontium said:
" @Pessh: @Zarackus: @GetEveryone: please give me the inputs and I may be able to help. "
Focus attack  back+mk mk ex lightning kicks (lk+mk repeatedly) 2 quarter circle forward + all punch buttons "
Do a 2/3 focus (release when your character turns white for a second), dash foward, when doing the two medium kicks start mashing those LKs halfway through to ensure it comes through. 

Once you see the EX kicks come out, immediately switch to doing the 2 QCFs and then do the punches. 

Hope that helps. 
#-3 Posted by Zarackus (34 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @Zarackus said:
" @demontium said:
Focus attack  back+mk mk ex lightning kicks (lk+mk repeatedly) 2 quarter circle forward + all punch buttons "
Do a 2/3 focus (release when your character turns white for a second), dash foward, when doing the two medium kicks start mashing those LKs halfway through to ensure it comes through.  Once you see the EX kicks come out, immediately switch to doing the 2 QCFs and then do the punches.  Hope that helps.  "

Sure did, thanks for the help.
#-2 Edited by rjayb89 (7717 posts) -

What the eff, I'm trying to do level 15 for Juri, but apparently I can't qcf lk fast enough for it to register even though I clearly am. 

Edit: NVM, I got it.  Can't believe I had to store the stupid fireball beforehand.

#-1 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@lordofultima: Please update the OP to ensure people know to post the trial before asking for help. 

It'll avoid a little flooding.
#0 Posted by sfighter21 (794 posts) -

God dang it!  Each day you guys get better!!  My ps3 decided to yellow light 3 days after SUPER came out, only after I got to play the game like twice.  I have the money for a new ps3, but I don' know when I will get it...the only trial I think I'll be upset about doing again is Makoto's...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.