Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Timing

Fracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Fracture

I played Street Fighter 2 a lot when it was in the arcades way back in the late 80's early 90's (I forget exactly). I wasn't the best in the world but the game made sense to me back then. I was pretty good and enjoyed the game immensely. I never really played Street Fighter 3 as I was in college at the time and the place I was at didn't really have a copy of the game nearby so I just skipped it. I played it a little on the Dreamcast, but offline and vs the AI.

Fast forward to today and I find myself trying to play the game as if it was still Street Fighter 2 and it just doesn't work. I'm actually almost ready to just give up because I don't understand any of the timing. I play through the challenge modes and usually get to the point where they want you to do several attacks followed by a cancel into another attack and I can never pull it off. To start the amount of buttons you tend to have to press with split second speed just eludes me. I can never seem to get them to fire off and only recently am able to even cancel a focus attack, but all it ever does is whiff, I can never get it to go into the EX moves the game seems to want. Either way I don't ever find myself actually wanting to pull any of these moves off outside of the challenge rooms. I know they are useful, but they are so incredibly difficult to pull off in the first place that I'll never be able to use them properly.

People I play online (especially now) are so fluent with pulling these crazy things off that it's not uncommon for me to be hit with some nuts combo that it reminds me of what I hated back in the day about MK and Killer Instinct. I used to like that street Fighter combos were usually 4 hits with the rare 5 hit and now  that it's changed I find myself in some kind of old timers limbo.

It seems that the only character I even have a decent shot with most days is Zangief, and that's only because I don't need to land too many hits or combos to win, but I'd rather be playing half the other characters.

Anyone else feel like they are in the same boat with this game/series?
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

What controller are you using?

leroyrockwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By leroyrockwell

I was but I keep hammering away at it. I have never completed all those challenge modes trails for any of my favorite characters but I like to try them. There are 3 reason I got better.

1. I kept playing. I started understanding my character more.  I started understand match ups. The more you play the better you get. I checked your cheevos and see you just completed 50 live matches that's not the tip of the iceberg.  Just keep playing. Try to say out of Arcade. I did the Time Attack & Surivial in SF4 and got a lot of bad habits that I just broke a while back. Hit training mode, hit shoryuken.com, eventhubs.com or iplaywinner.com and check out their guides read up on what the moves do. I know it's investing a lot but it pays off slowly but surely.

2. Stopped worrying about winning all the time. There are going to be dudes out there that are just way better.  Even if a battle is lost ask youself "did i learn anything from it? What did I do wrong?"  If you focus too much on winning it's going to be frustrating (or Marvel vs Capcom 3 lol).  If you can't understand how you lost then ask or I'm sure one of the guys on here will help you by sparring in endless battle.  They want to practice and keep the community strong. They are better because they put in time.

3. Input lag. yeah I said it. Originally I played on Xbox HDMI to a DLP, now I play Xbox VGA cable to a DLP. There is no post processing on my VGA slot. Those Milliseconds mean alot. 
    On HDMI on my rock band 2 guitar test I was getting 90 seconds.
    On my VGA cable it turned to 0 seconds. 
    So check out your input lag or hook it to a CRT to see what it's like to have none. Newer HDtv have less but I'm broke paying a car note so no new tv or lag free set up.
    This has a lot to do with timing.  When you tap the punch button your character should punch.  When you hit confirm (when you character hits the other and the attack sparks hit) you should be able to cancel into the next move (if they cancel into them)  
    BUT I WILL SAY MUSCLE MEMORY has a lot to do with it too.  

If you ever want to play look me up on Xbox or PSN (well not know)
    Xbox: Leroy rockWELL and on PSN: leroyrockwell

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By StaticFalconar

Hate to break it to you, but even back then big time combos were a must, but there is a condition to it. 

Back in the arcade days everybody was separated by the arcade they went to. So back then at your local arcade scene, the best anybody could have done was a 4-5 hit combo so your own limitations didn't stop you from winning since nobody was way better. Unless somebody way better came by and actually taught the rest of you combos, 4-5 hits is the max anybody would get on their own. But now its the internet. there are much more tutorials and such that the barrier to learning combos as well as how easy they made doing combos now, you just don't get that anymore. 

And also, for some characters, you do have to have combos down. Someone like Geif and Guile may not need combos and Ryu's basic 4-5 hit combo may suffice; but Rufus, Cammy, Abel, etc. You just have to have your combos down or else you won't get far. But if playing with half the cast is your thing, then just get a friend (or find someone on the forums thats willing), and have a long session with them. Unless they are total jerk and is addicted to always winning with the same character, they would probably change it up. 
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By McGhee
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By JJOR64
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
    " @Fracture: 
    This guy on YouTube knows his shit and has made the most comprehensive tutorial that anyone could hope for. It's a 35 part video series. Here's the playlist.
    "
    Shout outs to Vesper Arcade.

On Topic:

SF4 is nothing like SF2.  Both games do benefit from combos, but combos are a must in SF4.  If you are looking for a character that isn't combo heavy, but does mad damage, pick E. Honda.  Honda's main combo is jab into HHS.  The only thing you would need to learn is how to piano and slide the 5 punch inputs in under a second.  Also crouching medium kick into headbutt is good as well.

Could make this post longer, but it's 2:20 AM and I need to go to bed.    :P
    Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Sarkhan
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

At least you are not playing 3rd Strike.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.