What do you think of Super Street Fighter IV being $40?

• 66 results
#1 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2113 posts) -

I am personally thinking that I may just pass or wait until it goes down or goes on sale for something like $20.  Sure, Capcom has been pretty good as far as their recent ventures but WTF is up with charging all that money for costumes and such and now $40 bucks for what is an add-on.

#2 Posted by Skald (4369 posts) -

I didn't buy Street Fighter IV, so this is an okay price point for me.

#3 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

#4 Edited by chrissedoff (2157 posts) -

new characters, costumes, moves, rebalanced shit, new cutscenes (as if i care). there's a reasonable amount of new stuff. i would love to pay less than forty dollars for super street fighter. but considering what expansion sets, dlc's and "special editions" usually cost, i say forty bucks is about right. honestly it's ten bucks less than i thought it was going to be from a ripoff artist like capcom.

actually the sticking point for me is whether they're going to have a decent tutorial system. i still don't really know how to use focus attacks the way i think i'm supposed to.

#5 Posted by Mmmslash (2169 posts) -

$40 is an entirely reasonable asking price.

#6 Posted by lordofultima (6269 posts) -

Wrong forum.

#7 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

It's not 60? The whole new CD bundle is not 60 dollars?

#8 Posted by JJOR64 (19050 posts) -

I don't care what price it is, I just want it.

#9 Edited by TheGremp (2064 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:

" I don't care what price it is, I just want it. "

This. 

If you guys need me any time after April 27th, I'll be in my basement, playing SSFIV and eating Cheetos. 

Naaah, I'm just kidding.  Cheetos would get my fight stick all dirty!
#10 Posted by GunstarRed (5398 posts) -

Its awesome... its like £21 in the UK..and if you preorder from shopto at the minute (yes, in the UK) you get the Dhalsim body Tshirt!
#11 Posted by MasterMind (125 posts) -

capcom said the game was to large for an update so they made a compleatly rehashed game 40 buks is worth 9 new chars and more stuff to do

#12 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1484 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" Wrong forum. "

#13 Posted by Wes899 (2125 posts) -

Who would complain about a game being $40?!

#14 Posted by animateria (3253 posts) -

$40 is reasonable. 

10 characters is more than the original cast of the arcade version and it's also more additions than the console version of SFIV. Not to mention all the other tweaks Capcom is doing for the game.

I really hope they balanced the characters out better though, the new characters in the original console SFIV did not fare well against the arcade's fantastic 8.

Also, hoping for an Arcade version, I won't play it but a lot of the top US and Japan players are from the arcade crowd. I'm sure some of them would play the new characters much better if they had the opportunity.

#15 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2113 posts) -

I guess I am in a weird middle ground then.  I mean I like street fighter enough to get the first edition of IV and played it, but $100 plus whatever costumes and such for a game is kind of pushing it...for me that is I guess.

#16 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1112 posts) -
@WickedCobra03 said:
" I guess I am in a weird middle ground then.  I mean I like street fighter enough to get the first edition of IV and played it, but $100 plus whatever costumes and such for a game is kind of pushing it...for me that is I guess. "
Did you buy games like Rock Band? Play WoW or any other MMO for longer than 5 months? If you answer yes to any of these questions then paying 40 bones for Street Fighter isn't such a bad idea.
#17 Posted by MikkaQ (10331 posts) -

Well it's what they've always done, the Supers and and Turbos and what have yous have been going on for a good long time, now. It's worked out for 'em, and people buy 'em. And 40 is reasonable, because you're getting all of SF4, plus new shit. It's not an add on if you don't own the game. It's pretty good value. And it's also not a huge rip-off if you DO own the game because they add quite a lot of shit.

#18 Posted by Scullinator (514 posts) -

I had to skip to the bottom... are we really complaining that the game is $40 ?  Honestly they could have charged $60, I would have been pissed but would have still paid it. 

#19 Posted by AjayRaz (12461 posts) -
@TheGremp said:
" @JJOR64 said:

" I don't care what price it is, I just want it. "

This.  If you guys need me any time after April 27th, I'll be in my basement, playing SSFIV and eating Cheetos. 
THIS.. minus the cheetos
#20 Posted by Jeffsekai (7049 posts) -
@Scooper said:
"
"
#21 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -
@marioncobretti said:
" Its awesome... its like £21 in the UK..and if you preorder from shopto at the minute (yes, in the UK) you get the Dhalsim body Tshirt! "
LINK ME NOW PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!
#22 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

Totally getting it. Your logic makes no sense if you are a fan of fighting games. Its like oh, I Am a big fan of football games, but I think I will wait 1/2 a year to get madden this year since I know i will see it cheaper down the line; apply same logic to shooters, etc. Ripoff or not, Capcom is the only company that makes a good fighting game that appeals to the masses as well as the hardcore, they deserve all that money. 

#23 Posted by GunstarRed (5398 posts) -
#24 Posted by Weltal (2274 posts) -

Man, people are still complaining about getting a completely new game for $40? Fucking pathetic.

#25 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4897 posts) -

$40 for a few improvements is BS. 

If it was a $20 download.... maaaaybe. 

#26 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

yearly sports games are fine for 60, SSF4 (which has 10 more characters...thats 2 shy of blazblue's full roster, new ultras, new backgrounds, new moves, new modes) for 40 isnt...lol you kids crack me up

#27 Posted by Nasar7 (2763 posts) -

Sounds good to me.

#28 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11995 posts) -

If 10 new characters, improved online, and a bunch of other little tweaks like 2 ultras per character don't justify $40 then I don't know what does for some people.

#29 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -
@marioncobretti: Nice one. Very cheap and that shirt's pretty amazing too.
#30 Posted by alexl86 (631 posts) -

I would rather pay $20 for a heavy download, and I have little to no love for any of the new characters. The only thing I'd really be paying for is the new ultras, and maybe I'll like one or two of the characters. Still, that's not worth $40 to me.

If I hadn't already pay $60 for the first game, I would definitely pay $40 for this updated version

#31 Posted by Jeffsekai (7049 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater said:
" If 10 new characters, improved online, and a bunch of other little tweaks like 2 ultras per character don't justify $40 then I don't know what does for some people. "
Any First Person shooter with ___ of ____ as the title.
#32 Posted by lordofultima (6269 posts) -
@SJSchmidt93 said:
" $40 for a few improvements is BS.  If it was a $20 download.... maaaaybe.  "
No. A few improvements to the people like you, who wouldn't have bought it regardless. Consider it natural selection.
#33 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

I wish all new games were 40 dollars.

#34 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3453 posts) -

I think it is a spectacular deal.  

#35 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" @SJSchmidt93 said:
No. A few improvements to the people like you, who wouldn't have bought it regardless. Consider it natural selection. "
I just happen to have a 40 dollar EBgames gift card...hmmmm
#36 Edited by Symphony (1912 posts) -

$40 is a great price. Too bad it's $50 up here in Canada. :( But that's just par for the course, so we just hafta make the best of it.

My only irk is the fact that if you buy all of the costumes (that are already on the disc like in SFIV, I bet) you'll end up paying $60 for the game ($70 up here), in total, if not more.

Assuming each full character set is $10 (I think that's a rather generous guess.. it may be more like $15) and each character has two different costumes you can buy -- the original ones that were DLC for SFIV, and the new ones that'll be DLC for SSIFV, that's $20 in costumes. Paying 50% of the game's price, if not more (some people are calculating it to be 100% of the price if you buy all of the costume packs individually), just for some costumes is kind of ridiculous...

Obviously, we're welcome to pick and choose which packs we want, so few people will be spending that much, but it's still rather silly that it costs the same amount for some costumes as it does for the entire game. Also, to nitpick a little -- it'd be nice if they let you buy costumes for specific characters, even if it cost slightly more than "buying in bulk" (eg 100 points for one character, 320 for the pack of 4 or 5) ... For example, I'd buy Vega's if it didn't mean shelling out money for costumes of other characters I never use. *shrugs*

#37 Posted by Skytylz (4035 posts) -

i might actually buy it despite being the worst player ever.

#38 Posted by Heartagram (1183 posts) -

Honestly with all the content they're adding I'm surprised they are not trying to charge 60.

#39 Posted by Interfect (981 posts) -

I'll buy it if it's 40 starting price

#40 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

Sounds reasonable.

#41 Posted by pause422 (6216 posts) -

40$ is entirely fine. If you don't think so, you probably weren't going to pick it up regardless of the price it was in the first place. There's more than enough new in this game to warrant that price easily.

#42 Posted by RedEyesBlueBunny (1011 posts) -

im really confused here...now i thought this package was an entirely seperate game from SFIV...like if you never owned SFIV and you wanted this package, you could get it and all of its SFIVness for...$40. that seems like a fantastic deal to me, unless you already owned the game, which you probably did since you like street fighter so much. but if that's the case, $40 still seems like a very generous price to me
but if this package requires the original SFIV to play, then i would say $40 for an add-on is a terrible price. it's the same game, but with more features, not worth $40 plus whatever you paid for the original.

#43 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -
@RedEyesBlueBunny: ...Dude, you could have summed up your thoughts in 2, precise, sentences.  Anyways, you don't need the original SFIV to play SSFIV, just like you don't need Madden '09 to play Madden 10.
#44 Posted by RedEyesBlueBunny (1011 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: i dunno how to do that...but with that question answered, what are these people complaining about?
#45 Posted by Judoka (56 posts) -

I would gladly pay full price for Super.  I believe that capcom has done an outstanding job with reviving the fighting game genre.  The $40.00 price tag will bring in more fighters.  As mentioned before I do have problems with a "unlock key" for additional costumes.  I don't mind paying for them but, if they use the SF4 distribution model with this version that will be ridiculously expensive.  I think they should lower the price for "unlock keys".

SUPA STREET FIGHTA FOAUR is coming!!!!!1

P.S. Redeyesbluebunny this is a standalone package not an expansion pack.

#46 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -
@RedEyesBlueBunny: Because some people think that the additions to SSFIV are not worth the $40 price tag and it should be priced & distributed ala The Shivering Isles expansion for Oblivion.
#47 Posted by animateria (3253 posts) -

If I had 1 thing, ONE GOD DAMN THING! to complain about...

Why does only Gief get the awesome robot costume?

It should be robots for everyone! ROBOTS!

Oh, and Cammy's alt outfit sucks, I'd prefer the Alpha one.

But yeah, nothing serious to complain about. The HYPE is GET!!

#48 Posted by nrain (1274 posts) -

40 bones is perfectly reasonable price.

#49 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

I didn't buy the first so it seems appropriate.

#50 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4897 posts) -
@lordofultima said:
" @SJSchmidt93 said:
No. A few improvements to the people like you, who wouldn't have bought it regardless. Consider it natural selection. "
Huh? You don't know me! :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.