Who to main??

#1 Posted by veggietal3s (8 posts) -

I can't decide who to main, Ive narrowed it down to a top 5, who would be the most viable? any other suggestions would be great.

Zangief, Cody, Guy, Blanka, Adon

#2 Posted by JJOR64 (18909 posts) -
@veggietal3s:   At all boils down to which play style you like the most.  Each of those characters have their pros and cons.
#3 Posted by buft (3301 posts) -
@veggietal3s:  can you list some pros or cons for each character?
#4 Posted by veggietal3s (8 posts) -
@JJOR64:  haha yea i know , im just having a tough time settling down and choosing one to roll with, I prefer non- charge characters , Good defense but a strong offense, just dont know which one is right for me
#5 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -
@veggietal3s said:
" @JJOR64:  haha yea i know , im just having a tough time settling down and choosing one to roll with, I prefer non- charge characters , Good defense but a strong offense, just dont know which one is right for me "
Good D but strong O? 
 
More like Good D AND strong O. 
 
As for a character, just play the character that fits your style of play the most.
#6 Posted by veggietal3s (8 posts) -
@buft: for zangief I like his high stamina i just kinda hate his speed, but i see it as something i could get used to, Cody i really like his "brawling style" again just hate the movement speed, Guy i find hard to use but maybe its because i have down syndrome, Blanka hes a charge and its not really my style i just listed him because hes the charge i could see myself using and adon i have troubles executing all his moves on my fight pad but i do like his escapes and such, haha dont know if thats a good explanation but its the best i can come up with right now
#7 Posted by ThornBlackstar (33 posts) -
#8 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Ken.

#9 Posted by veggietal3s (8 posts) -
@ThornBlackstar:  yea that does make sense ill give it a try, Thanks for the link also
#10 Posted by JJOR64 (18909 posts) -
@veggietal3s:   If you want someone with a good defense and offense, pick Zangief.  Just be prepared to chase people down.
#11 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11477 posts) -

It took me a while to figure out my main. Basically, what I would recommend is taking a look at all the characters you listed and seeing which one you like playing as the most or which one best fits your natural skillset. For example, I'm not super great at comboing or rushing down, so I play Vega because he doesn't rely on either of those things. Meanwhile, someone like Guy, who is all rushdown and target combos is harder for me to use.

#12 Posted by GenghisJohn (256 posts) -

anybody but Yun

#13 Posted by rbysjti (354 posts) -

I wanted to main Cody but i usually go for Blanka.
 
But if only Ingrid was in this game, i'd definitely main ingrid

#14 Posted by JJOR64 (18909 posts) -

@rbysjti said:

I wanted to main Cody but i usually go for Blanka. But if only Ingrid was in this game, i'd definitely main ingrid

Speaking of Cody, he is going to be really good in AE 2012. Blanka is getting better in it as well.

#15 Edited by rbysjti (354 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:

@rbysjti said:

I wanted to main Cody but i usually go for Blanka. But if only Ingrid was in this game, i'd definitely main ingrid

Speaking of Cody, he is going to be really good in AE 2012. Blanka is getting better in it as well.

thanks for the info. but i still wish Ingrid is in this game or else I'd never play as much as i play mvc3
#16 Posted by JJOR64 (18909 posts) -

@rbysjti said:

@JJOR64 said:

@rbysjti said:

I wanted to main Cody but i usually go for Blanka. But if only Ingrid was in this game, i'd definitely main ingrid

Speaking of Cody, he is going to be really good in AE 2012. Blanka is getting better in it as well.

thanks for the info. but i still wish Ingrid is in this game or else I'd never play as much as i play mvc3

Ingrid will most likely never be in another SF game unfortunately. She was just a tacky add on for Alpha 3 Max.

#17 Posted by Carryboy (631 posts) -

Yeh out of that list id say go with gief, you will need to play patiently though.

#18 Posted by TechHits (1369 posts) -
@Carryboy said:

Yeh out of that list id say go with gief, you will need to play patiently though.

lol, this was posted 5 months ago.
#19 Posted by BoG (5181 posts) -

You need to go by feel. We can all tell you who is technically the best character, but he may not be the best for you. After playing for a while, one character can end up fitting like a glove. 
And not Blanka.
#20 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

If you want a non charge character with a good defense and strong offense then go for Ken. He has good anti-airs and some pretty good mix ups. Did I mention he has a gigantic kara throw?
 
...plus most of his combos are pretty easy! Adon is a pretty tough character to pick up as a beginner, if I remember his bnbs have some tricky timing.
 
Ken is actually pretty crazy, I think a lot of people sleep on him as a character. His standing roundhouse > ex/roundhouse tatsu does like 300+ damage, that's pretty crazy from a single cancel haha. Great punisher.

#21 Posted by M_33 (527 posts) -

I think 5 months later he's found a main. If not, then I don't think he's playing this anymore.

#22 Posted by IItRueII (19 posts) -
@veggietal3s: imo cody or guy
#23 Posted by veggietal3s (8 posts) -

lol @ people posting on this but yea..I ended up using ken but i wanna switch to Cody hes definitely the most fun character IMO to play as,  fuck yun and thank god for 2012

#24 Posted by rbysjti (354 posts) -
@veggietal3s said:
lol @ people posting on this but yea..I ended up using ken but i wanna switch to Cody hes definitely the most fun character IMO to play as,  fuck yun and thank god for 2012
Cody is the most good-looking guy in the game IMO
#25 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -
@veggietal3s said:

I switched to the dark side

  
#26 Posted by gosukiller (2324 posts) -

I've gotten into a rut with Rose.  
 
Anyone that can suggest me a character with decent pokes like her, but with a good reversal?

#27 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -
@gosukiller said:
I've gotten into a rut with Rose.   Anyone that can suggest me a character with decent pokes like her, but with a good reversal?
how can you get into a rut when you body people?
#28 Posted by VicRattlehead (1398 posts) -

@gosukiller: gief.... mash spd all day

#29 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -
@VicRattlehead: I really wanna play, do you wanna play?
@scarace360: And you!
@gosukiller: T.Hawk is a character with decent pokes and a good reversal. Hahaha! Play me!
#30 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -
@dbz1995 said:
@VicRattlehead: I really wanna play, do you wanna play?
@scarace360: And you!
@gosukiller: T.Hawk is a character with decent pokes and a good reversal. Hahaha! Play me!
O SNAP NO YOU DIDNT!
#31 Posted by VicRattlehead (1398 posts) -

@dbz1995: im in a taxi at the moment lol :(

#32 Posted by JJOR64 (18909 posts) -

If someone would buy me a stick, I would play. :(

#33 Posted by Management (596 posts) -

@gosukiller said:

I've gotten into a rut with Rose. Anyone that can suggest me a character with decent pokes like her, but with a good reversal?

How about Chun? Great pokes, and EX spinning bird kick is good.

#34 Posted by robdburrows (40 posts) -

I main Dan (and have been doing so since original Street Fighter 4) since I don't like to rely on special moves and supers/ultras. However, I have been practicing with Adon and Rufus and they both have some great offense.

#35 Posted by MetalMoog (907 posts) -

Ken. It's always been Ken since Street Fighter II.

#36 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

If you want to piss people off, go Abel. Abel is great. He's slippery but powerful. He' my main, and I love him!

#37 Edited by gosukiller (2324 posts) -
@Management@Kyreo:  Chun seems a great idea. I haven't had a charge character since Vanilla. 
 
I'll give Abel a try as well, but I don't think he fits my playstyle very much.  
 
@scarace360: I'm defeated by rushdown types and offensive shotos because I lack a "GETOFFMEYOUJERK!" move. (Ultra 2 doesn't work anymore in AE). 
 
@dbz1995: I've got the pc version now.
#38 Posted by Zeeco (103 posts) -

I use Adon, but analyze what play style best suits you.

#39 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1188 posts) -

Dang man this just makes me want to jump on SSFIV more. It's all about who you feel. In regular SFIV I could school fools with Dan just because I liked his moves being more of the fakeout type.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.