Will the radical arab communities be offended by Hakan?

  • 68 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Jeust (10478 posts) -

Do you think they will be enraged by the stereotypes brought down by Hakan? 

#2 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

Street Fighter is all about stereotypes and always has been and I hope it always will. It's just a bit of fun.

#3 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -

He's not Arab?

#4 Posted by MB (11984 posts) -

They'll probably declare a jihad on Ken.

Moderator
#5 Posted by Jeust (10478 posts) -
@Scooper said:
" Street Fighter is all about stereotypes and always has been and I hope it always will. It's just a bit of fun. "
Yep but radical muslims don't look very kindly on stereotypes. It is a bit of a double edge sword.
#6 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -
@MB said:
"They'll probably declare a jihad on Ken. "
I think 90 percent of the SFIV community has already done that.
#7 Posted by JonesCapoStatus (4 posts) -

Last I checked, Turks are not arab.
#8 Posted by Pazy (2561 posts) -

If they are already radical then you have worse problems than a video game character.

#9 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11477 posts) -

You might not know this, but turks =/= arabs.

#10 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

Mohammad 
 
Yeah I fucking said it. What are you gonna do about it! 

#11 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

Yeah he's turkish, not arabic, nor necessarily a muslim. There are christian turks, and whatnot.

#12 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

radical arabs will be offended by anything 
 
Hell you even show them a console and they freak out

#13 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

Yes, they are offended by anything except beating wives.

#14 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

Yeah, probably, but they get pissed off at everything its almost funny seeing them get sand in thier vaginas,so i rather egg them on.  
 
 
Hey radical arabs, ppl think differently than you and joke about things, wanna kill people over it?

#15 Edited by Jeust (10478 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:

" Yeah he's turkish, not arabic, nor necessarily a muslim. There are christian turks, and whatnot. "

Well Turkey was part of the arabian empire on the middle ages, and their culture is very akin to the arabic, therefore are considered loosely 'arabs'. And 98% of the population are muslims, so... unless Capcom pushes a "Poison approach" on Hakan it can stir up some good deal of controversy. 
 
Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey
#16 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -
@Jeust said:
" @Scooper said:
" Street Fighter is all about stereotypes and always has been and I hope it always will. It's just a bit of fun. "
Yep but radical muslims don't look very kindly on stereotypes. It is a bit of a double edge sword. "
Yeah? Well fuck radical muslims!
#17 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

what stereo type?

#18 Posted by EdTwo (471 posts) -

he's not arab, he's turkish.

#19 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

what stereo type? all i see is a lubed up guy with no shirt.

#20 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -
@Jeust said:
" @XII_Sniper said:

" Yeah he's turkish, not arabic, nor necessarily a muslim. There are christian turks, and whatnot. "

Well Turkey was part of the arabian empire on the middle ages, and their culture is very akin to the arabic, therefore are considered loosely 'arabs'. And 98% of the population are muslims, so... unless Capcom pushes a "Poison approach" on Hakan it can stir up some good deal of controversy.  Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey "
 
Sure it's similar, but it's not like there's such a thing as radical arabs. It's the radical muslims that are the problem. I think it's hard to be radically white, or radially asian, or in this case radially arab. It's a people, not a religion. The wording there is important. 
 
That being said I'm a fundamentalist french! Back to the basics, toiling in the fields for all! FEUDAL POWAAAAAAR. 
 
Plus dude, does he even LOOK like a stereotypical turk or muslim to you? He's got green... hair stuff, and pours oil all over himself. In that sense, he's closer to being a protesting buddhist monk than anything, technically. 
#21 Edited by Jeust (10478 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:

" @Jeust said:

" @XII_Sniper said:

" Yeah he's turkish, not arabic, nor necessarily a muslim. There are christian turks, and whatnot. "

Well Turkey was part of the arabian empire on the middle ages, and their culture is very akin to the arabic, therefore are considered loosely 'arabs'. And 98% of the population are muslims, so... unless Capcom pushes a "Poison approach" on Hakan it can stir up some good deal of controversy.  Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey "
 Sure it's similar, but it's not like there's such a thing as radical arabs. It's the radical muslims that are the problem. I think it's hard to be radically white, or radially asian, or in this case radially arab. It's a people, not a religion. The wording there is important.  That being said I'm a fundamentalist french! Back to the basics, toiling in the fields for all! FEUDAL POWAAAAAAR.  Plus dude, does he even LOOK like a stereotypical turk or muslim to you? He's got green... hair stuff, and pours oil all over himself. In that sense, he's closer to being a protesting buddhist monk than anything, technically.  "
You could be wrong, KKK is radically white, and arab is a panethnicity, not a race.
 
Wording is important, but besides technicalities they 99% of the same. :p 
 
Oil is a stereotype, as the music. I just think it's a bit bold for Capcom to picture a turkish character, as it can easily become a loose canon, like the Sheeva thing did. 
#22 Edited by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

I never heard the hindu community being offended by Dahlsim. 
It's just a game, people. 
You know, to have fun...? 
Why bring up the religion thing again? 
And oh, that olive-oil he's putting on himself is part of his fighting style, Turkish wrestling.
#23 Posted by DanceDanceKennypants (632 posts) -

Radical anything is going to offended by everything.

#24 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -
@Jeust: The KKK are a bit different. They're not looking to radically advance the white people very much, more just hate on people who aren't, while radical muslims see themselves as actually fighting a war against their enemies, who they think god hates. They're actually trying to conquer territory.  
 
I wasn't even aware of these oily stereotypes, I guess which shows how much I know about turks. Which isn't much. Other than whirling dervishes are awesome, and a turkish fighter should just be spin attack focused. That would be awesome, but also more stereotypical, and also closer to touching the matter of religion, which is what sets people off the most. Which is why I think capcom won'T have too much trouble with the guy. They don't seem to touch on any religious stereotype, just loose cultural stuff. 
#25 Posted by Belonpopo (1823 posts) -

This is 2010 everyone is offended by everything.

#26 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Arabs and their blue helmets.

#27 Posted by Ben_H (3311 posts) -
@ImperiousRix said:
" @MB said:
"They'll probably declare a jihad on Ken. "
I think 90 percent of the SFIV community has already done that. "
More like 60%.  The other 40% play Ken.
#28 Edited by Jeust (10478 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:

" @Jeust: The KKK are a bit different. They're not looking to radically advance the white people very much, more just hate on people who aren't, while radical muslims see themselves as actually fighting a war against their enemies, who they think god hates. They're actually trying to conquer territory.  
 
I wasn't even aware of these oily stereotypes, I guess which shows how much I know about turks. Which isn't much. Other than whirling dervishes are awesome, and a turkish fighter should just be spin attack focused. That would be awesome, but also more stereotypical, and also closer to touching the matter of religion, which is what sets people off the most. Which is why I think capcom won'T have too much trouble with the guy. They don't seem to touch on any religious
religious stereotype, just loose cultural stuff.  "

Yep, probably, but sometimes their leaders use anything to get off.  
 
@GunnBjorn: good point! I didn't know about Turkish wrestling. Thanks!
#29 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -
@Ben_H said:
" @ImperiousRix said:
" @MB said:
"They'll probably declare a jihad on Ken. "
I think 90 percent of the SFIV community has already done that. "
More like 60%.  The other 40% play Ken."
ZING!
#30 Edited by mshaw006 (539 posts) -
@Jeust said:
"  Oil is a stereotype, as the music. I just think it's a bit bold for Capcom to picture a turkish character, as it can easily become a loose canon, like the Sheeva thing did.  "

I have never heard of an oil stereotype relating to arabs. And the music, well that's less a stereotype as it is, you know, arab-style music. As @XII_Sniper said:
" They don't seem to touch on any religious stereotype, just loose cultural stuff.  "
#31 Edited by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -
@EdTwo said:

" he's not arab, he's turkish. "

That's like saying he's not a quadrilateral, he's a square.
#32 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I see no stereotypes.

#33 Posted by Legend (2649 posts) -
@Jeust said:

" @GunnBjorn: good point! I didn't know about Turkish wrestling. Thanks! "

Never heard about it either. I found this on YouTube:
 
  Whoever posted the video three years ago is probably wondering who's this Haken fellow people are now talking about in the comments. :P
#34 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -

Hell, I'm offended by Hakan..let alone the Arabs (or Turks)

#35 Edited by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Jeust said:

" @Scooper said:

" Street Fighter is all about stereotypes and always has been and I hope it always will. It's just a bit of fun. "

Yep but radical muslims don't look very kindly on stereotypes. It is a bit of a double edge sword. "
Firstly, you need to get your facts straight.  Hakan is a Turk, not an Arab or even specifically a Muslim at that.  There are Christian Turks too.  Secondly he's covered in oil because he a martial artist Greco-Roman Wrestler.  Turkey wasn't part of the Arabian Empire it was the ruling country of the Ottoman Empire.  You're coming off extremely ignorant.
#36 Edited by Geno (6477 posts) -

1. He's Turkish. 
2. If we didn't do things simply because radicals didn't want us to, we may as well bow down and declare them our rulers. Even if Hakan was Muslim, I wouldn't let some extremists affect the games that I play. 

#37 Posted by Shadow (4977 posts) -

The stereotypes of all middle eastern people having red skin, blue hair, and an abnormal oil fetish?  Yeah.  This game is offensive.

#38 Posted by Jeust (10478 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @Jeust said:

" @Scooper said:

" Street Fighter is all about stereotypes and always has been and I hope it always will. It's just a bit of fun. "

Yep but radical muslims don't look very kindly on stereotypes. It is a bit of a double edge sword. "
Firstly, you need to get your facts straight.  Hakan is a Turk, not an Arab or even specifically a Muslim at that.  There are Christian Turks too.  Secondly he's covered in oil because he a martial artist Greco-Roman Wrestler.  Turkey wasn't part of the Arabian Empire it was the ruling country of the Ottoman Empire.  You're coming off extremely ignorant. "
While the predominance of muslims in Turkey is around 98%, i am no Wikipedia, so you have to endure my ignorance. :p
#39 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -
@Belonpopo said:
" This is 2010 everyone is offended by everything. "
QFT
#40 Posted by Lomous (25 posts) -
< ---- Muslim arab gamer 
@Jeust
said:
"@XII_Sniper said:

" Yeah he's turkish, not arabic, nor necessarily a muslim. There are christian turks, and whatnot. "

Well Turkey was part of the arabian empire on the middle ages, and their culture is very akin to the arabic, therefore are considered loosely 'arabs'. And 98% of the population are muslims, so... unless Capcom pushes a "Poison approach" on Hakan it can stir up some good deal of controversy.  Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey "



Turks are not arabs they are muslim though, but being 98% percent muslim still doesnt make  it an arab country, take indonesia / malaysia as an example. Secondly I dont think Capcom are really poking fun at any Muslim/Arab points hes not screaming 'jihad,' 'Allahu Akbar' or performing actions that are stereotypical of Islam or even Radical Islam.; he' s an oiled up turkish wrestler.  
 
Now if ure worried about oily turkish wrestlers being offended, I'd say there would be a slight chance of that happening.

 

#41 Posted by Jeust (10478 posts) -
@Lomous said:
" < ---- Muslim arab gamer 
@Jeust
said:
"@XII_Sniper said:

" Yeah he's turkish, not arabic, nor necessarily a muslim. There are christian turks, and whatnot. "

Well Turkey was part of the arabian empire on the middle ages, and their culture is very akin to the arabic, therefore are considered loosely 'arabs'. And 98% of the population are muslims, so... unless Capcom pushes a "Poison approach" on Hakan it can stir up some good deal of controversy.  Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey "



Turks are not arabs they are muslim though, but being 98% percent muslim still doesnt make  it an arab country, take indonesia / malaysia as an example. Secondly I dont think Capcom are really poking fun at any Muslim/Arab points hes not screaming 'jihad,' 'Allahu Akbar' or performing actions that are stereotypical of Islam or even Radical Islam.; he' s an oiled up turkish wrestler.  
 
Now if ure worried about oily turkish wrestlers being offended, I'd say there would be a slight chance of that happening.

 

"
I agree with you... I didn't knew about oily turkish wrestlers. I foolishly thought that oil was a caricature.  
#42 Posted by Brake (1088 posts) -

I think we'd have a problem if he was named Mohammed and he used bomb based attacks or somethig ridicilous like that. Hakan is basically an oily turkish wrestler who apparently loves his daughters very much. I don't see how you get offened by that.

#43 Posted by ElHijoDelIronSheik (20 posts) -

can we get rid of this thread yet?

#44 Posted by Jeust (10478 posts) -
@ElHijoDelIronSheik said:
" can we get rid of this thread yet? "
we could if you wouldn't post. :)
#45 Posted by ShinAli (96 posts) -

I'm Turkish and the only thing that I find offensive is the baseless conjectures in this thread that Turkey is just another arab country.

#46 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -

Yes, But radicals of any form can find a way to be offended by anything, So who fucking cares.

#47 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@Jeust said:
" Do you think they will be enraged by the stereotypes brought down by Hakan?  "
Not anymore so than Russians are at Zangeif, or Mexicans at El Fuerte. 
 
Unless The Arab community wants to get all butt hurt.
#48 Posted by Hailinel (23905 posts) -
@Jeust said:
" @Scooper said:
" Street Fighter is all about stereotypes and always has been and I hope it always will. It's just a bit of fun. "
Yep but radical muslims don't look very kindly on stereotypes. It is a bit of a double edge sword. "
A dude with bright red skin that slathers himself in cooking oil is a stereotype now?
Online
#49 Edited by chrissedoff (2075 posts) -
@jmrwacko said:

" @EdTwo said:

" he's not arab, he's turkish. "

That's like saying he's not a quadrilateral, he's a square. "
no, it's more like saying "abel's not finnish; he's french" i think it's pretty reasonable to point out that turks are different than arabs. they do have a cultural heritage distinct from arabs with a  language, history and traditions that are unique to turks(like, fucking oil wrestling). but hey, i guess i'm just being a nitpicker, so, herp derp they're swarthy looking and pray to allah so same thing.
 
if someone called e. honda chinese you'd flip your shit so shut up.
Online
#50 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @Jeust said:
" @Scooper said:
" Street Fighter is all about stereotypes and always has been and I hope it always will. It's just a bit of fun. "
Yep but radical muslims don't look very kindly on stereotypes. It is a bit of a double edge sword. "
A dude with bright red skin that slathers himself in cooking oil is a stereotype now? "
Haha, yeah thats funny and pretty true.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.