Will you change your main in SSFIV

• 179 results
#1 Edited by Belonpopo (1823 posts) -

Right now I main Ryu (yes, I've made up my mind and it's subject to change) his combos are pretty easy compared to some of the other fighters. After watching the trailers for Super Street Fighter 4 and watching the "new" characters I've realy taken not of the fighting styles of Ibuki and Dudley. From what I've heard a lot of people are looking forward to Dudley and looking forward to playing as him, he seems to have the fighting style of Balrog, but with more speed and combos. Ibuki just looks awesome, from what I've absorbed from the videos she seems like a fighter centered around jumps and aerial dive attacks...with throwing knives (sold). Ryu is a very basic fighter and feel like his simple combos are restricting me to simple gameplay and sometimes "cheap' victories. I'm also going to invest in a fightstick (one word?) to give me more space for my long ass fingers to move about.

#2 Posted by AjayRaz (12416 posts) -

No. Sakura is fine for me 

#3 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

Nice poll...

I'm not certain yet.  I'll probably end up just getting a new main along with my current one.  Of course, I'll need to decide on which one to focus more on if I want to be efficient...

And it's amusing how much your character analysis are all way off.

#4 Posted by JJOR64 (18892 posts) -

No.

#5 Posted by MrJared (397 posts) -

Nope, I'm sticking with Chun. She got all the buffs I was looking for (even though I REALLY hate her two nerfs) and none of the new characters interest me short of Hakan. I'll probably play around a bit with T.Hawk as I played him in ST for a while and that's about it. I'd rather spend my time learning new match-ups than learning an entirely new character.

#6 Posted by Symphony (1912 posts) -

Yep, switching to Juri and Ibuki, I can't wait :D

#7 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

Dudley yo!

#8 Posted by GunstarRed (4997 posts) -

I will no doubt mess with Makoto and eventually just go back to Chun like I always do.
#9 Posted by Kou_Leifoh (1891 posts) -
@Belonpopo said:
"   Right now I main Ryu (yes, I've made up my mind and it's subject to change) his combos are pretty easy compared to some of the other fighters. After watching the trailers for Super Street Fighter 4 and watching the "new" characters I've realy taken not of the fighting styles of Ibuki and Dudley. From what I've heard a lot of people are looking forward to Dudley and looking forward to playing as him, he seems to have the fighting style of Balrog, but with more speed and combos. Ibuki just looks awesome, from what I've absorbed from the videos she seems like a fighter centered around jumps and aerial dive attacks...with throwing knives (sold). Ryu is a very basic fighter and feel like his simple combos are restricting me to simple gameplay and sometimes "cheap' victories. I'm also going to invest in a fightstick (one word?) to give me more space for my long ass fingers to move about. "
Dudley plays NOTHING like Balrog! 

Anyways, Dudley is the fan favorite from SFIII. Fun fact: That character poll that Cammy won, Capcom actually posted a poll before that one with more characters on the poll (Cammy was included as well). Dudley won that poll by a landslide, but for some reason, Capcom decided to do away with that poll and posted a new one (That one that Cammy won) with Dudley out of the picture, and lesser amount of characters on the list.
#10 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1110 posts) -

Im kind of in a weird spot. As a person who right now mains Gen it really matters what they do to him. Seeing as also he is the only character that no one has any solid info on makes me wonder. Ill just have to wait and see how he turns out.

If I was to switch it would be to one of the new characters. None of the original  cast excites me as much as Gen does. But some of the new characters seem really interesting mainly Hakan, Dudley, Cody, and Adon. Ill give everyone a chance though. Except DeeJay and Makoto. They seem boring as fuck to me.

#11 Posted by Gambit (727 posts) -

DeeJay and Dudley will be my new mains in SSIV.

#12 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

I've definitely got the most practice with Vega, so he's going to at least stay as my number one alt if not my main (he's getting some new tricks in SSFIV).  I WILL try out all the new characters, however, and hopefully become as proficient with one of them.  Really looking forward to Guy, Dudley, and Adon.  I'll try them all, though.

#13 Posted by Demigonis (192 posts) -

I plan to swap to Guy, assuming I like his playstyle.

#14 Posted by Driadon (2995 posts) -

Not likely, but who knows. I never played SFIII (and only very recently played an Alpha game) so I have yet to really know how these other characters will play.

#15 Edited by King9999 (608 posts) -

Switching to Dudley, but I want to keep Cammy around as I like her play style.

#16 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

I may use Cody and/or Guy a lot.

#17 Posted by Kumo (124 posts) -

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll be switching. I don't have a lot of time investment into my current main, so it wouldn't matter too much if I switched. No idea who I'm switching to, though. I like too many of the new chars, lol.
#18 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11423 posts) -

Considering that I use Ryu, I wouldn't mind switching my main. Maybe Cody or Makoto if I like how they play.

#19 Posted by ZombieHunterOG (3530 posts) -

it all depends if i like the feel of a character  

i will have to pretty much use everyone again to get a new main :P

#20 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

DeeJay! It's show time!

#21 Posted by MrJared (397 posts) -
@SpecialBuddy: Of what's out there, st.mk > chops now only works once unless there's an FADC involved. EX Wall Jump is no longer invincible and there are changes to how you can combo slaps that has to do with the difference in the amount of inputs it requires to do any mashing special. I'm not totally sure what those changes are, but Yeb is pretty pissed about it.
#22 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

I don't plan on it.

#23 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Yes, I am switching to Shadow Charlie.

Shutup.

Just... shutup.

#24 Posted by AniMoney (957 posts) -

Too early to tell, I want to actually play with everyone first. 

That said, looking forward to trying Deejay, Makoto, Dudley, and maybe even Adon because he's so goofy looking.

#25 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

Nope, why change a winning formula?

#26 Posted by AniMoney (957 posts) -
@Stang said:
" Nope, why change a winning formula? "
Cowboy Ken is pretty much a new character, and you're definitely playing as him.
#27 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -
@AniMoney said:
" @Stang said:
" Nope, why change a winning formula? "
Cowboy Ken is pretty much a new character, and you're definitely playing as him. "
This.
#28 Posted by InfiniteStateMachine (215 posts) -
@MrJared: hey I've been out of the loop, got a link for the chun changes?
#29 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

Screw you guys.

#30 Edited by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -
@MrJared said:

" @SpecialBuddy: Of what's out there, st.mk > chops now only works once unless there's an FADC involved. EX Wall Jump is no longer invincible and there are changes to how you can combo slaps that has to do with the difference in the amount of inputs it requires to do any mashing special. I'm not totally sure what those changes are, but Yeb is pretty pissed about it. "

Seth Killian addressed that recently and said people are over reacting and that Gen is better. So who knows.

Oh and i plan on staying with Blanka to some extent. But i want to try Adon and Ikubi.
#31 Posted by HolyCrapItsAdam (448 posts) -

No way. Dan for life!

#32 Posted by MrJared (397 posts) -
@InfiniteStateMachine: More health, EX Legs does less damage, st.hk is now even slower, if you can believe that. Standing hard kick was already a move that was pretty much only useful against Sagat, Gief and Rufus and against anyone else you had to cleanly predict their jump or eat a free combo so it was plenty risky. Now, I don't know what its good for.

@Jeffsekai: I gave Seth infinite grief at a party this weekend for the "balanced up" talk :)  For example, no matter what they give Sagat, nothing makes up for st.lk not being cancellable. Granted, that's why people consider im to be over-powered to begin with, but when you take that away, lower his health and nerf Tiger Uppercut damage, there's no way that character can be better. I trust that man more than anyone and I'll eat my undies should Sagat come out more powerful, but that's a case of a character being fundamentally worse. 
#33 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -
@MrJared said:
" @InfiniteStateMachine: More health, EX Legs does less damage, st.hk is now even slower, if you can believe that. Standing hard kick was already a move that was pretty much only useful against Sagat, Gief and Rufus and against anyone else you had to cleanly predict their jump or eat a free combo so it was plenty risky. Now, I don't know what its good for.

@Jeffsekai: I gave Seth infinite grief at a party this weekend for the "balanced up" talk :)  For example, no matter what they give Sagat, nothing makes up for st.lk not being cancellable. Granted, that's why people consider im to be over-powered to begin with, but when you take that away, lower his health and nerf Tiger Uppercut damage, there's no way that character can be better. I trust that man more than anyone and I'll eat my undies should Sagat come out more powerful, but that's a case of a character being fundamentally worse.  "
FINE THEN  >:(
#34 Posted by TheGremp (2064 posts) -

I main Ryu, but I may switch to Juri.  Who knows.

#35 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@MrJared: Do you know anything about what's going on with Guile? I haven't heard a word of any of his changes.
#36 Edited by MrJared (397 posts) -
@Napalm: Nope! I don't know Guile well enough to know if they fixed what's wrong with him. He mainly just needs frame tweaks and Flash Kick to come out faster and he'll be in the upper tiers.
#37 Posted by Heartagram (1181 posts) -

I want to try all the SF3 characters and the new ones because i have never played SF3. Although i doubt i will actually switch since it looks like honda is getting a better Ult. 

#38 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

If they don't fix at least a few things with Guile, I'm going to be upset.

#39 Posted by ONE_EYE_JACKED (41 posts) -

I'll stick to Gouken but i might try out Juri. Although im not really excited about Gouken's 2nd Ultra.
#40 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

There is nothing wrong with Guile, ok his ultra is garbage but besides that he is pretty decent. Take a look at Geom Modinside or any other well versed Guile player, they whoop ass despite his flaws.

#41 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -

Napalm whats wrong with Guile?

#42 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

There's more wrong with Guile than you think. You use a character who's pretty easy to win with and requires a lot less effort. No, I am not saying you don't work for your wins. Guile is a patient character. In the time it takes me 10 seconds to get you half to health, all you need to do is whip out a combo or two and you've already brought me to half damage. Guile isn't broken by any means, but there is no rational explanation for an anti-air that gets stuffed 90% of the time.

Let me say that one again for clarity.

An anti-air attack, then gets stuffed by air attacks. You figure that one out.

This problem is the main culprit, though I do have issues with general move priorities and the complete lack of damage Guile does.

#43 Posted by Sykosis (123 posts) -

Makoto was my main before Gen. now that she is back, she will take her rightful place at my side ^_^

#44 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -
@Napalm said:
" There's more wrong with Guile than you think. You use a character who's pretty easy to win with and requires a lot less effort. No, I am not saying you don't work for your wins. Guile is a patient character. In the time it takes me 10 seconds to get you half to health, all you need to do is whip out a combo or two and you've already brought me to half damage. Guile isn't broken by any means, but there is no rational explanation for an anti-air that gets stuffed 90% of the time.  Let me say that one again for clarity.    An anti-air attack, then gets stuffed by air attacks. You figure that one out.  This problem is the main culprit, though I do have issues with general move priorities and the complete lack of damage Guile does. "
Thats how Guile IS if you don;t like that then don't play him lmao.

Yea I would say fix Flash Kick and some of his normals. and thats it
#45 Posted by SpecialBuddy (1110 posts) -
@Napalm said:
" There's more wrong with Guile than you think. You use a character who's pretty easy to win with and requires a lot less effort. No, I am not saying you don't work for your wins. Guile is a patient character. In the time it takes me 10 seconds to get you half to health, all you need to do is whip out a combo or two and you've already brought me to half damage. Guile isn't broken by any means, but there is no rational explanation for an anti-air that gets stuffed 90% of the time.  Let me say that one again for clarity.    An anti-air attack, then gets stuffed by air attacks. You figure that one out.  This problem is the main culprit, though I do have issues with general move priorities and the complete lack of damage Guile does. "
C.HP is a god like anti air. Use that. Not flash kick.
#46 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" Thats how Guile IS if you don;t like that then don't play him lmao. "
That's a real stupid catch-all answer, Jeff. I didn't expect that from you. And you don't use Guile, so what would you know? I don't say anything about Blanka because I know jack-all about him. Regardless, most of Guile's issues are quite subtle, except for the whole broken Flash Kick thing.
#47 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -

I'm trying Makoto and Ibuki as well as the other characters before deciding on a main.

I used to play a little Makoto in 3S, I'm not good in any sense of the word but I liked her fighting style and 'mained' her for what it's worth.

Ibuki is really for someone with nimble hands in 3S, low damage output and a low hp meant she was always low tier, though some people used her really well. I don't see this changing for SSFIV, and I'm probably going to just play her for fun.

#48 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@SpecialBuddy said:
" @Napalm said:
C.HP is a god like anti air. Use that. Not flash kick. "
This.
#49 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Stang: @SpecialBuddy:
Don't insult my intelligence, people, seriously. C.HP is fine for an anti-air, but it's no replacement for a Somersault Kick. If I use a special move designated for an anti-air, then it should do exactly that.
#50 Edited by SpecialBuddy (1110 posts) -
@Napalm said:

" @Stang: @SpecialBuddy: Don't insult my intelligence, people, seriously. C.HP is fine for an anti-air, but it's no replacement for a Somersault Kick. If I use a special move designated for an anti-air, then it should do exactly that. "

No. Your wrong. Do the complete opposite.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.