Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Worth playing with a controller?

Pox22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pox22

I have never played a Street Fighter game before, and I've been looking forward to getting into it with Super Street Fighter IV.  However, as a poor college student, I don't expect to be able to afford a decent fightstick for some time.  Should I even bother picking up the game before getting a stick, or is the 360 controller adequate for a beginner?  Thanks for any and all advice!

EDIT:  General discussion glitch strikes again...  Obv supposed to be in the Super Street Fighter IV forum.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#2  Edited By citizenkane
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64

Yes, it is.  I played on the 360 controller for about 6 months and I did fairly well.  If you want to take your game to the next level, you can always buy a fightstick in the future.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Stang

I was easily the worst here on pad, no question about it. Anything beyond jump kick sweep was beyond me. It is most definitely possible to be a pad warrior though.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By animateria

The 360 controller really, really stinks.

The PS3 one I find adequate enough, but it still feels awkward for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
    deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I played SF4 with the fightpads that madcatz had out. Costs considerably less than a fightstick but leagues better than the standard 360 pad, great for MAME too.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#7  Edited By Symphony
    @animateria said:
    " The 360 controller really, really stinks.  The PS3 one I find adequate enough, but it still feels awkward for me. "
    I disagree and find the 360's analog stick works fine. Different strokes for different folks, though. 

Definitely worth picking up even if you only have a controller. And since this is your first Street Fighter, I don't imagine you'll be getting into any high level tournament level play anytime soon, so you'll be fine. If you get hooked on the game and want to invest more time/money into it, you can always pick up an arcade stick down the road.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Stang

Come to a conclusion quickly honestly, if you really get into the game, you do not want to transfer from pad to stick. It fucking sucks. Your skills do not transfer over like you thought they would...it takes hours upon hours to get back to where you were with pad. Worth the patience though.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By Icemael

Definitely. Don't listen to the people who complain that the 360's D-pad isn't good enough; those people are idiots for using the D-pad in the first place. The analogue stick works better than any D-pad could ever hope to. And don't worry about not having enough money for a fightstick. Unless you plan on becoming a high level Street Fighter player you're not going to need one, and since you don't have any experience with fight sticks (or so I assume, since you've never played a Street Fighter game before), you're going to be more comfortable with the 360 controller anyway.

Pox22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pox22

Thanks for the quick replies.  I'm not really looking to get into high-level play right out of the box.  I just have the mentality of, "if you're going to something, might as well do it right."  I'll pick up the game on Tuesday and see if I like it enough to invest in a stick in the future.  Good to know that it's still worth playing with a controller.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Skytylz
    @Pox22 said:
    " Thanks for the quick replies.  I'm not really looking to get into high-level play right out of the box.  I just have the mentality of, "if you're going to something, might as well do it right."  I'll pick up the game on Tuesday and see if I like it enough to invest in a stick in the future.  Good to know that it's still worth playing with a controller. "
    don't use the pad on the 360 controller, learn to use the analog stick and if you eventually get a arcade stick the transfer should be a little easier.
    Iceman2913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Iceman2913

trust me you can pwn with a normal  controller at first I was terrible but then I started whooping A@@ but then I mostly used c.viper and ken those two are easy to use without a stick. 

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Scooper
    @Symphony said:
    " @animateria said:
    " The 360 controller really, really stinks.  The PS3 one I find adequate enough, but it still feels awkward for me. "
    I disagree and find the 360's analog stick works fine. Different strokes for different folks, though.  Definitely worth picking up even if you only have a controller. And since this is your first Street Fighter, I don't imagine you'll be getting into any high level tournament level play anytime soon, so you'll be fine. If you get hooked on the game and want to invest more time/money into it, you can always pick up an arcade stick down the road. "
    This a million times. You can do all you want on a controller, I was doing Akuma's roundhouse loops 60% of the time against a friend the other day and that's on a 360 wireless pad and that's like a bunch of 1 frame links (not that that's supposed to make any sense to you, it won't, don't worry). I don't reccomend using the Dpad on the 360 controller because it's very bad and not acurate at all. The thumbstick is great though and I really like using it. I feel the real arcade stick is really good and I really like using it when I play SFII but for SFIV and Super I can't use anything but the 360 controller.

It all comes down to preference and if you get SSFIV and think "oh jesus I love this game" and spend 200 hours playing it in the first month then you might want to buy a stick and get way into it. Don't buy 1 with the game if you've never really played a fighting game because you might get bored after a few days and then you've got this big stick you never use sitting around.
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @Pox22 said:

" Thanks for the quick replies.  I'm not really looking to get into high-level play right out of the box.  I just have the mentality of, "if you're going to something, might as well do it right."  I'll pick up the game on Tuesday and see if I like it enough to invest in a stick in the future.  Good to know that it's still worth playing with a controller. "

You might find this somewhat encouraging:  
    http://www.giantbomb.com/super-street-fighter-iv/61-28437/which-control-method-do-you-use/35-408119/#34

According to this poll that I posted, nearly 43% of GiantBomb players use standard controllers.  

Other than using the analogue stick over the d-pad, my main suggestion would be to try to find some players of equal skill level.  You won't find them in basic matchmaking, so it would probably be best to get a friend to play with you, or look around the forum for someone else who is new to the entire series.  Aside from that, just try not to get discouraged, and do your best to learn from your mistakes.  If you have trouble with another player's move that always hits you, go into practice mode and see how you can counter it.  When someone beats you, try to understand why and slowly adopt some of their techniques.  I'm guessing that the fight replay feature will help a lot with this.

Pox22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pox22
    @SpaceInsomniac:   Thanks, that poll is encouraging.  None of my friends have ever gotten into SF either, so I should have plenty of people to play with who are also learning.  After being way too into Smash Bros. Melee during high school, I'm exciting to finally get into a real fighting game.
    Necrotrophic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Necrotrophic

theres nothing wrong with using a pad. try using the analogue stick

and, dpads are typically better than analogue sticks but with the 360, its just not the case

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#17  Edited By ImperiousRix

Personally still play on the pad, and do fairly well.  Didn't make it out of G2 in championship mode (though I doubt that makes much sense to an outsider), but still consider myself an intermediate player.

Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lilbigsupermario

Playing on the controller/pad shouldn't prevent you from having fun with a great game. :)

I've never played an SF game on a fightstick or even the arcades.  I've always played the Street Fighter games on a pad since Street Fighter II on the Super Nintendo.  And it's fine to play the game with a controller and you'll still have tons of fun and you'll still do great.  A lot say it's a lot easier on a fightstick, but as mentioned, it's really a preference.  It's the player and not the type of gear that wins you matches. :)

I also play using the d-pad, using the analog stick on the PS3 feels awkward for me when playing fighting games hehe!

Necrotrophic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Necrotrophic

I know a lot of people who are in G1 who use pads quite well.

Its really just preference.

Pox22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Pox22

Huh, I was under the impression that only chumps didn't play with fight sticks.  Maybe I've just been reading posts from elitist tools.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Stang
    @SpaceInsomniac said:
    " @Pox22 said:

http://www.giantbomb.com/super-street-fighter-iv/61-28437/which-control-method-do-you-use/35-408119/#34

According to this poll that I posted, nearly 43% of GiantBomb players use standard controllers.  

Other than using the analogue stick over the d-pad, my main suggestion would be to try to find some players of equal skill level.  You won't find them in basic matchmaking, so it would probably be best to get a friend to play with you, or look around the forum for someone else who is new to the entire series.  Aside from that, just try not to get discouraged, and do your best to learn from your mistakes.  If you have trouble with another player's move that always hits you, go into practice mode and see how you can counter it.  When someone beats you, try to understand why and slowly adopt some of their techniques.  I'm guessing that the fight replay feature will help a lot with this.

"
    Playing people equaly skilled is not as beneficial as getting your ass trounced in my opinion. People at your own level may have extremely bad habits....your play style will begin to incorporate equally shitty habits because of what you are being exposed to. Dunno if that makes any sense to you.

I will happily trounce any of you though :) 

IT IS FOR YOUR OWN GOOD.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Shadow

Why would you want to buy a $120 replacement for a perfectly good controller?

Iceman2913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Iceman2913
    @Stang: 
    lol@Stang said:
    " @SpaceInsomniac said:
    " @Pox22 said:

"
    Playing people equaly skilled is not as beneficial as getting your ass trounced in my opinion. People at your own level may have extremely bad habits....your play style will begin to incorporate equally shitty habits because of what you are being exposed to. Dunno if that makes any sense to you.    I will happily trounce any of you though :)   IT IS FOR YOUR OWN GOOD. "
    don't make me beat you with your own character jk
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Stang
    @Iceman2913:  Many have tried, most have failed. If you are on 360 we can go first to 10 if you like.
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @Stang said:

" @SpaceInsomniac said:

" @Pox22 said:

"
    Playing people equaly skilled is not as beneficial as getting your ass trounced in my opinion. People at your own level may have extremely bad habits....your play style will begin to incorporate equally shitty habits because of what you are being exposed to. Dunno if that makes any sense to you.    I will happily trounce any of you though :)   IT IS FOR YOUR OWN GOOD. "

I see what you're getting at, but we're talking about someone who hasn't even played a fighting game before.  If you're just learning how to use fireball and charge attack motions, you don't go fighting players who can FADC into ultra.  First he needs to have some fun with friends and stay off ranked game modes.  Once he knows some basics, then he can learn how to improve.

The most important thing isn't to become a great player.  The most important thing is to have fun.  People don't have to be that good at Street Fighter to enjoy it.  Just look at these guys: 

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Stang

Ah, I did not read all the posts. I have damn near 800 hours logged with IV, so fun and playing well are synonymous at this point. Losing does not bother me, poor execution does though.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @SpaceInsomniac said:
    " @Stang said:

" @SpaceInsomniac said:

" @Pox22 said:

"

I see what you're getting at, but we're talking about someone who hasn't even played a fighting game before.  If you're just learning how to use fireball and charge attack motions, you don't go fighting players who can FADC into ultra.  First he needs to have some fun with friends and stay off ranked game modes.  Once he knows some basics, then he can learn how to improve.

The most important thing isn't to become a great player.  The most important thing is to have fun.  People don't have to be that good at Street Fighter to enjoy it.  Just look at these guys: 

Quick Look "Live": Super Street Fighter IV

It's neither quick nor live, but it is a pretty gigantic look at a whole bunch of SSFIV.

Embed this video:
    "
    Yeah and even those guys were using sticks
    Zombieheadbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zombieheadbutt

SFIV was the first game I ever used the stick with and I have to say I love it but I do have a friend who can only use a pad.  He detest the stick so to each his own.  

SSFIV Fightpads

SSFIV Fightstick

As you can see, the original Madcatz Fightsticks have come down to around $50 so it isn't to expensive of an experiment to find out if your better with a pad or a stick.  Those Fightpads are pretty nice.  Moving the buttons off of the shoulder is what makes them better than a standard controller. 

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @Zombieheadbutt said:

As you can see, the original Madcatz Fightsticks have come down to around $50 so it isn't to expensive of an experiment to find out if your better with a pad or a stick.  Those Fightpads are pretty nice.  Moving the buttons off of the shoulder is what makes them better than a standard controller.  "

Agreed.  As much as I love my fightpad, it's a bitch and a half to hit left shoulder buttons when trying to combo or use an ultra.  The fightpad has six face buttons, and two shoulder buttons, but I still can have problems.  It's bad enough having to choose if you want to have the shoulder buttons be all three P/K buttons, light attacks, or heavy attacks. I'd really hate having to pick two sets of buttons to have on the shoulders.  It's the main reason I think that even PS3 pad players should eventually upgrade to a fightpad.
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By luce

Are the trials still impossible with a regular controller? 

I need to know this

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Scooper
    @luce said:
    " Are the trials still impossible with a regular controller?   I need to know this "
    A couple of them are probably next to impossible with a regular controller, like the Gen trial from SF4 was bananas but there are people who have done all trials in SF4 with a regular controller so it's not impossible. I remember I used the stick for Honda's trials but that's about it. I done 70% of the others with a regular controller with no more problem then with a stick. I don't know about the trials in SSFIV but there's probably still a few you'd have an easier time doing if you were using a stick.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sixghost
    @luce said:
    " Are the trials still impossible with a regular controller?   I need to know this "
    I trudged my way through all the trials with a regular controller using the analog stick. There were quite a few times where I had to reassign some buttons to make it easier though. It was almost like a puzzle game. Luckily I played viper at the time so I already could do the FFF c.viper trial. The Gen one was just haunting me for about a week though.
    alcamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By alcamin

Controllers are generally considered less accurate than a proper stick but I don't have to many problems with it. I will admit though I am not what you would call an expert when it comes to fighting games, but still, a controller is always fine in my experience. I guess it's just a preference thing. That's and how hardcore you are, I suppose.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Illmatic

Its definitely doable. Heck, I'm the opposite of most people where when Street Fighter was for the SNES I couldn't even pull of a shoryuken right but once I used a regular control stick on a controller I did fine. It's all about what works for you. I'm completely lost when it comes to using a fight pad.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I am gonna get a fight pad for my PS3 when I get the game tonight. Any one like the fight pad?  

Can someone who uses a fight stick please message me? 

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By AndrewJD
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    "I am gonna get a fight pad for my PS3 when I get the game tonight. Any one like the fight pad?"
    I used a fight pad on PS3 and found I played better with it than the standard controller. Not much difference though really.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @mubress said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    "I am gonna get a fight pad for my PS3 when I get the game tonight. Any one like the fight pad?"
    I used a fight pad on PS3 and found I played better with it than the standard controller. Not much difference though really. "
    I found a great deal on a official fight stick at gamestop. Might get that instead. 
    AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AndrewJD
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @mubress said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    I used a fight pad on PS3 and found I played better with it than the standard controller. Not much difference though really. "
    I found a great deal on a official fight stick at gamestop. Might get that instead.  "
    Whatever works for you. I wish I'd started playing with a stick when I first got into SF but now I'm so used to pads that I can't be bothered :)
    Dauragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Dauragon

I did alright with the regular 360 pad, but i decided to upgrade to a street fighter gamepad instead. Thats now my weapon of choice. 

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By 71Ranchero

It completely depends on how well you use a pad. Some of us that played 2d fighters on Saturn and Neo Geo got very good at using the thumb to hit multiple buttons and the like. Frankly I am so used to a 6 button pad for fighting games that using an arcade stick just feels wrong. However, if you are not great at a pad for fighting games to begin with you may want to start on the stick. Its all down to preference, honestly you can play at the same skill level with either option.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#41  Edited By Mezmero

Well I have to use a pad because I just can't spend the money for a joystick.  If I could afford to have a joystick I totally would, but this game is good enough to enjoy on a pad regardless.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Gabriel

The problem is that I use both the D-Pad and analogue sticks in a fight.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#43  Edited By gla55jAw
    @Gabriel said:

" The problem is that I use both the D-Pad and analogue sticks in a fight. "

When I was using the 360 controller I actually mixed my use of the Analog stick and D-Pad too depending on the move and which side I was facing. 

As for the original poster, It's perfectly fine to use. Use the Stick mostly. You could look into a FightPad at sometime too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.