The Superhero wiki last edited by Jagged85 on 02/26/14 09:12PM
View full history
The original superheroes may have descended from the ancient cultures and mythologies of Babylon, Egypt, Greece, India,China, and Rome, and the many hero tales and epics told in those times. They would often depict great warriors (sometimes referred to as gods) with large flaws or that had performed great feats, just like superheroes today.
The phrase "super heroes" is trademarked jointly by Marvel and DC comics. As a result, games not based on Marvel or DC licenses will often claim to be "super-powered hero" games.
Superhero History Facts:
- The first superhero game of all time: In 1979, Atari introduced Superman.
- The most Marvel characters in a Spider-Man game: The 2000 PlayStation Spider-Man featured 15 heroes and villains.
- The first superhero first-person shooter game: X-Men: Ravages of Apocalypse was released for the PC in 1997 and was the first officially licensed superhero entry in the FPS genre.
Types of Superheros:
- Armored hero: A gadgeteer whose powers are derived from a suit of powered armor.
- Blaster: A hero whose main power is a distance attack, usually an energy blast.
- Brick/tank: A character with a superhuman degree of strength and endurance and usually an oversized muscular body.
- Elementalist: A hero who controls some natural element or part of the natural world.
- Gadgeteer: A hero who invents special equipment that often imitates superpowers.
- Healer: A hero who is able to quickly recover from serious injury.
- Mage: A hero who is trained in the use of magic.
- Marksman: A hero who uses projectile weapons, typically guns, bows, arrows, or throwing blades.
- Martial Artist: A hero whose physical abilities are mostly human rather than superhuman but whose hand-to-hand combat skills are phenomenal.
- Mecha/robot pilot: A hero who controls a giant robot, a subtype common in Japanese superhero and science fiction media.
- Mentalist: A hero who possesses psionic abilities, such as telekinesis, telepathy, and extra sensory perception.
- Possessed: A hero who harbors an entity inside of him/herself.
- Shapeshifter: A hero who can manipulate his/her own body to suit his/her needs, such as stretching, or disguise. Other such shapeshifters can transform into animals, Animan or inorganic materials.
- Size Changer: A hero who can alter his/her size.
- Slasher: A hero whose main power is some form of hand-to-hand cutting weapon; either devices, such as knives or swords, Katana or natural, such as claws.
- Speedster: A hero possessing superhuman speed and reflexes.
- Mastermind/super genius: A hero possessing superhuman intelligence or intellect.