Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Joycon and Pro controllers are expensive

visnes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

A PS4 and Xbox One controller is about $40-50 each. The Switch Pro Controller is $70. On what planet is 70 bucks logical?

Not to speak of the JoyCon controllers that cost $80 for L+R or $50 for one. I guess Nintendo knows people are going to lose these things.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@visnes: Correction, JoyCon costs $80 for L+R and $30 for that grip, so it's $110 for a complete controller. I don't really think I'll ever be buying those.

visnes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By visnes

@retris said:

@visnes: Correction, JoyCon costs $80 for L+R and $30 for that grip, so it's $110 for a complete controller. I don't really think I'll ever be buying those.

Thanks, and wow...

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is ridiculous. Is there anyone in the know who has an idea on how much profit is made off of controllers? Doesn't seem like they are worth anything close to what they ask.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

The JoyCon seem to have a tad bit more technology in them. Although there's no headphone jack. There should be a headphone jack. And yes, they're still too expensive.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The only thing that I can think of that would be responsible for the cost is the inclusion of an IR camera. Other than that, I agree, the price of the controller is fucking ridiculous. It's almost like Nintendo is designing the system with the intent that multiple people will buy their own console and play multiplayer using system-links instead of traditional one console multiple people styled multiplayer.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By TheWildCard

To be fair the msrp for a dualshock 4 is $59.99-64.99. I cannot imagine who is going to be willing to pay that for more joycons and grip though. I've hated the way Nintendo nickel and dimed customers since the Wii.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The peripherals seem godly expensive I've no interest in motion controls I would like to play portable games on the TV but don't need the handheld functionality, be very happy with a black box a wired pro controller at half the cost.

visnes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By visnes
    @thepanzini said:

The peripherals seem godly expensive I've no interest in motion controls I would like to play portable games on the TV but don't need the handheld functionality, be very happy with a black box a wired pro controller at half the cost.

"You will buy it and you will like it, sir!"

visnes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be fair the msrp for a dualshock 4 is $59.99-64.99. I cannot imagine who is going to be willing to pay that for more joycons and grip though. I've hated the way Nintendo nickel and dimed customers since the Wii.

Checked Amazon, and they go for 40-50 bucks. They went for 60 at launch if I remember correctly. But that's still less than the Switch Pro controller. It's just Nintendo being "Our products are premium", and they know that their customer base will buy it regardless.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything about the Switch is expensive

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Quantris

Hopefully there are some bundles that make this more palatable (like special joycon colors coming with the mario game).

Also I wonder if this thing will connect to WiiMotes (of which I still have a bunch lying around) to allow basic controls for games that don't involve counting ice cubes.

EDIT: but why in holy hell does a 2nd dock cost the most ($90) out of everything? I would expect that to be in the neighborhood of $20 if not less. Does the dock do something more than we realized?

visnes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Nintendo Switch's bundled Joy-Con grip doesn't charge controllers - you'll need the £28 charging grip sold separately."

Yeah, fuck Nintendo.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the company that sells handhelds without an AC adapter to charge them. Nothing is surprising about this.

visnes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: haha, yeah, I totally forgot about that. Nintendo really is a shitty company. They make good games though.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Dizzyhippos

Nintendo likes to make money on there hardware, and considering how few 3rd party games tend to come out on there systems its somewhat understandable.

There fucking nuts for leaning into non VR motion controls in 2017, but I understand why there doing it.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo are charging over 80 dollars in the UK for games (59.99 GBP)

Fucking idiots

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#18  Edited By isomeri

@wynnduffy said:

Nintendo are charging over 80 dollars in the UK for games (59.99 GBP)

Fucking idiots

Oh wow, you're right. The Wii U copy of Zelda seems to be more than 20 dollars cheaper. I guess that the "Game Cards" will indeed be an expensive media format. I wonder if digital downloads will have a discount. In Finland the prices of Switch games seem to be comparable to Xbox One and PS4 games, but the preliminary price for the console itself is 400 euros (424 dollars).

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazon are trying to charge £99.99 for the pro controller...that's hilarious!!

visnes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't forget that this thing is back..

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.