Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Dec 16, 1999

Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage is a third person hack and slash adventure game with over 30 different types of enemies for your slashing pleasure along with quick time events to break up the action. Based on the popular manga and anime series Berserk.

Going Berserk

• 62 results
    Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've been kind of interested in Berserk for a while now, as I like dark fantasy. Any recommendation on if I should start with those new movies, or start at the beginning of the manga, or some other spot?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#52  Edited By TheHT

@belegorm: The movies are probably the easiest way to see if you'll be into the series. If you like it, reading the manga would be the best thing to do next. One of the problems the movies had, being movies trying to cover a lot of material, is there isn't a ton of character development. So I'd say it's worth it to read through the arc even if you know what's gonna happen by the end of it.

The TV show is great, but it covers the same arc as the movies, so at this point you might as well just watch those instead of the show.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By John1912
    @alick said:

Is there an anime and is it worth it?

There was an anime back in the 90s I think? Its very good but only one season or first couple of arcs of the manga. There are 3 new movies which cover the exact same story as the anime. They are well done all in all, but I enjoyed the anime more. Mind fuck of an ending.

ike7779

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By ike7779

Watched Arc III tonight and it was maybe the most painful thing I've ever watched and the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Such an incredible conclusion. I need to figure out how this "reading manga" thing works and read this damn manga.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john1912 said:
    @alick said:

Is there an anime and is it worth it?

There was an anime back in the 90s I think? Its very good but only one season or first story arc of the manga. There are 3 new movies which cover the exact same story as the anime did. They are well done all in all, but I enjoyed the anime more. Mind fuck of an ending.

I missed the more traditional animation done in the TV show. The mix of traditional and 3D animation in the three movies was jarring and looked kinda terrible when placed side by side with the 2D animation. I don't know if they made the 3D animations 24 FPS to match the frames of the 2D but it felt like a game with terrible frame rate issues. That said, I couldn't be happier that Berserk is getting more exposure via the films than it has in the past decade. I still hope the films do well enough to justify making another trilogy that finally covers the story beyond the Golden Age Arc.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm said:

I've been kind of interested in Berserk for a while now, as I like dark fantasy. Any recommendation on if I should start with those new movies, or start at the beginning of the manga, or some other spot?

Id watch the anime over the movies. Otherwise read the manga.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@ike7779 said:

Watched Arc III tonight and it was maybe the most painful thing I've ever watched and the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Such an incredible conclusion. I need to figure out how this "reading manga" thing works and read this damn manga.

Well, you get the book, turn to the back, which is actually the front, and read it like a regular comic except going from right to left instead of left to right with panels and pages.

You can do it!

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#58  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I watched every episode berserk last night for some reason and now I feel sad.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped reading around tankobon 17. Guts' character development also pretty much ended right around when Casca went (understandably) batshit crazy and Miura started focusing on other, secondary characters that are nowhere near as interesting.

I think it's a little unfair to say Guts hasn't developed at all since then, especially since you've only read up to Volume 17. He starts rolling around with a party not long after the end of that arc and has gradually (Since everything in Berserk takes so damn long) but very obviously changed as a character.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Sinusoidal

@petiew said:

@sinusoidal said:

I stopped reading around tankobon 17. Guts' character development also pretty much ended right around when Casca went (understandably) batshit crazy and Miura started focusing on other, secondary characters that are nowhere near as interesting.

I think it's a little unfair to say Guts hasn't developed at all since then, especially since you've only read up to Volume 17. He starts rolling around with a party not long after the end of that arc and has gradually (Since everything in Berserk takes so damn long) but very obviously changed as a character.

So, he's gone in circles then since the entire golden arc was him learning to not be such a loner asshole and to work with the Hawks.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I havent been able to read the manga (also I assume it is on the expensive side so no go from me at the moment) but man that anime is soe amazeballs .... really great and fantastic music , the animation quality is so so as you can see clrearly were they saved money but do see it you wont regeret it.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#62 chaser324  Moderator

RIP Kentaro Miura. This was a good read to help remember just how influential Berserk has been over the years, visually and in tone/character. Video games owe a lot to Miura.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.