Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Syndicate

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 21, 2012

Syndicate is a reinvention of the 1993 game by Bullfrog. Developed at Starbreeze Studios, the game puts players in the shoes of Miles Kilo, one of the cybernetically-enhanced Agents who wages war against enemy mega-corporations on behalf of EuroCorp, his sponsor syndicate.

Kinda surprised Jeff liked this so much

bakoomerang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By bakoomerang

It's definitely not a bad game, I just haven't been blown away by anything it's done so far. To be fair I'm only half way through the campaign so maybe the back end is loaded with awesome stuff, and I haven't even touched the co-op. One thing I will say is the guns feel and sound absolutely amazing!

Also, I realize they're trying to shake things up by introducing the dudes with armour that has to breached before you can damage them, and then going a step further by bringing in jammers to add another layer to the combat. My question is, if the bad guys have both this armour technology and jamming capability, why don't they just put both on the same dude and make him invincible?! Maybe it's explained in the fiction somewhere why that isn't possible but I'm not really interested in reading that stuff.

Onno10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Onno10

You can't be evil and smart at the same time, obviously...

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By N7

They are governments and businesses at the same time. They have competing products. They can't steal them from each other or else it'll lead to an all out war between them.

It just so happens that nanomachine charged liquid armor is the competition.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Tennmuerti

@bakoomerang said:

Also, I realize they're trying to shake things up by introducing the dudes with armour that has to breached before you can damage them, and then going a step further by bringing in jammers to add another layer to the combat. My question is, if the bad guys have both this armour technology and jamming capability, why don't they just put both on the same dude and make him invincible?! Maybe it's explained in the fiction somewhere why that isn't possible but I'm not really interested in reading that stuff.

Electronic countermeasures would interfere with the CHIP controlling the armor integrity in such close proximity (on the same body)

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jozzy

The game got decent reviews, but Jeff definately seemed to like it more than most. That is what I like about Jeff, he has a pretty unique taste and he champions games that he likes very well. The danger here is he is really good in making you excited about a game, even if it is not really your thing. I would totally hire this man to be a sort of "evangelist" (i think it's called) if I was a publisher.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By cosi83

Same here, after Binary Domain, this seems very average

bvilleneuve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7  Edited By bvilleneuve

I don't know Jeff

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Getz

The Co-op is the game as far as I'm concerned. The single player is nice but it's not the meat of the game.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Masha2932

The co-op is much better than the single player. I hope they release more maps. In fact if they can sell the game a la carte it would be great.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#10  Edited By Mnemoidian

Primary reason for not merging Reactive/Liquid/Electrical armor with Jammer technology? Game Balance :P

But Tennmuerti's explanation sounds pretty good to me - seeing how all 3 armor types are types of active defense. ie: Close Proximity to Jamming could interfere with the internal chip. I guess.

But yeah, the co-op is awesome.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By pweidman

I just finished the sp campaign and it was pretty damn good. I love the last few chapters.

Anyway, the co-op is what has more legs obviously. Just want more new maps to come before this game is cast into oblivion.

Great initial IP. Hope they sold enough to fund a sequel.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Sarumarine

I found the last few chapters of the game to be the best. It's like a playground where they drop most of the cool weapons and let you run around with all of your powers. The only thing that's missing is the flamethrower, which I'm pretty sure only makes one appearance in the one stage in the downzone.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BrockNRolla

I was surprised too. But there is no accounting for taste.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By ShadowConqueror

CYBERPUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNK

bakoomerang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bakoomerang

@bakoomerang said:

It's definitely not a bad game, I just haven't been blown away by anything it's done so far. To be fair I'm only half way through the campaign so maybe the back end is loaded with awesome stuff...

Umm, not so much.

I just finished it but the second half didn't do anything to change my overall opinion. It's kinda cool in parts but nothing exceptional, and it is damn short. I guess co-op is where it's at. Unfortunately I'm one of those people that doesn't really enjoy playing co-op, even with friends. Dunno why, I just prefer single player experiences.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hbkdx12

I was interested in SP when i first loaded it up....

Then i delved a shit ton of hours into co-op and are fully upgraded in every respect

That being said,  it's INCREDIBLY difficult to pick SP back up. The lack of weapon upgrades, various apps etc just really make it feel like a chore to get through it. 

This might be influenced by my co-op experience as well, but i really hate that they dole out upgrade chips at scripted parts in the game as oppose to giving it to you based on XP on something where you can feel like you're actually earning it and constantly working towards better stuff

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By cosi83

Yeah so when it heats up, the gameplay is pretty pretty good

fistfulofmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 29

#18  Edited By fistfulofmetal

i enjoyed it a great deal. it's the most fun i've had with an FPS in a long time.

qawsed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By qawsed

The AI in it is really refreshing. I'm so tired of playing shooters where I stand behind the same piece of cover and play whack-a-mole.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By The_Nubster

@jozzy said:

The game got decent reviews, but Jeff definately seemed to like it more than most. That is what I like about Jeff, he has a pretty unique taste and he champions games that he likes very well. The danger here is he is really good in making you excited about a game, even if it is not really your thing. I would totally hire this man to be a sort of "evangelist" (i think it's called) if I was a publisher.

You are entirely correct. When Jeff likes something, he really likes it. In fact, as someone who dislikes FPS games (last one I enjoyed was CoD3, and even then it was getting dry), I picked up a copy of Syndicate for the PS3 and walked halfway to the front before stopping and going, "Hey, wait a second! I don't even like these games!"

And then the clerk lady looked at me like I had a mental disorder. Or like I was going to steal it later.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By kerse

@ShadowConqueror said:

CYBERPUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNK

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.