System Shock 2 confirmed for GOG!

#1 Edited by BeachThunder (11633 posts) -

^__^ Finally, the game that was never going to be released is going to be released :D It will allegedly be out tomorrow at 11am GMT for $9.99; also, there's word that there will be a Steam version, but there doesn't seem to be any mention of it on the 'coming soon' section.

Regardless, the game is fantastic; if you are interested in first-person horror games, then you should definitely consider picking up System Shock 2 when it's released. It's one of my favourite games ever (if I'm keeping count, it's #3).

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (14511 posts) -

If it comes to steam I might give it a check out assuming it works on Win7 easily.

#3 Posted by BeachThunder (11633 posts) -

Well, I'm just going to say that GOG has a better track record with making absolutely sure old games work perfectly on current systems + GOG will likely have a bunch of extras (maybe?). Although, having said that, if Steam somehow has has achievements (don't judge!), then I'll definitely get the Steam version :o

#4 Edited by Wampa1 (625 posts) -

@beachthunder: Having just bought 2 games of GoG I can't get working on a win 7 64 I'm a bit cautious but the hour or two of SS2 I played when I was 8 Scared the hell out of me so I'll end up giving in and getting it regardless, just hope the soundtracks there too.

#5 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

Thanks for the heads up! I'm hoping they'll have the high-res textures automatically installed too. Sounds like I have a date with SS2 for valentine's day

#6 Edited by believer258 (11555 posts) -

So this means I have to go in and delete that naughty copy because it's no longer OK to have it.

I have no issue with that!

#8 Posted by stryker1121 (1323 posts) -

Hmm..never did play System Shock 2. Any good mods around to pretty the game up some?

#9 Posted by Wampa1 (625 posts) -

@hanskisaragi: Just Blood Omen 2, had a thread open about it that vanished with the new site launch.

#11 Edited by Wampa1 (625 posts) -

@hanskisaragi: Yep, that, driver updates, resets and reinstalls. No luck, I managed to get all of the other LoK games running fine though.

Just for Clarification it launches, immediately crashes with the error "D3DERR_DRIVERINTERNALERROR" Direct 3D error

#12 Edited by Zephan (48 posts) -

Had System Shock 2 years ago, but could never get round to playing it as my PC was pretty poor at the time. Got to work tomorrow for most of the day, but I'll be ready to play it when I get back! Bioshock is one of my favorite games this gen, so I'm excited to see how they compare.

#13 Posted by AjayRaz (12416 posts) -

oh my god if this works well on Win7 i am going to lose my shit

#14 Edited by august (3824 posts) -

Thanks for the heads up!I'm hoping they'll have the high-res textures automatically installed too.Sounds like I have a date with SS2 for valentine's day

It won't. They can't get the rights to fan-made stuff by and large.

Everyone's going to want to use this patch which includes the newest fan-made patch which is much better than what GOG.com has used for other Dark Engine games, then install the mod manager and the mods.

#15 Posted by august (3824 posts) -

Thanks for the heads up!I'm hoping they'll have the high-res textures automatically installed too.Sounds like I have a date with SS2 for valentine's day

It won't. They can't get the rights to fan-made stuff by and large.

Everyone's going to want to use this patch which includes the newest fan-made patch which is much better than what GOG.com has used for other Dark Engine games, then install the mod manager and the mods.

#16 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

@august: that's a bit of a shame, but I can understand why. But, thanks for the links for the mods and patches!

#17 Edited by JeanLuc (3565 posts) -

Oh dude, I've always wanted to play System Shock 2. I figured I'd never get the chance. I'm so getting this.

#18 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -
#19 Posted by Beaker (94 posts) -

Never played System Shock 2. I might check it out.

#20 Posted by probablytuna (3523 posts) -

Looks like there's another title to add to my list of games that I will buy but never play.

#21 Posted by Captain_Tolerable (20 posts) -

Really looking forward to this. Only played it briefly as a kid and cannot wait to jump back into it now. Apparently they made it run practically flawless on all modern PCs barring the lesser known OSes so I'm excited for certain. May even attempt to get some hi-res mods for it but I am afraid it will detract from the experience.

#22 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11413 posts) -

This is fantastic, because it gives me an excuse to try SS2 again (I got stuck somewhere on Engineering) as well as remove any remaining guilt I may have for having it on my computer in the first place!

Also, if this can happen, then maybe all of the old games in legal limbo (SSI D&D games, Wizardry) can be released. A man can dream, can't he?.

#23 Posted by BeachThunder (11633 posts) -

'Tis here: www.gog.com/gamecard/system_shock_2

#24 Edited by IAmNotBatman (625 posts) -

Too bad I went through the trouble of buying an old used copy and getting it to work on my modern OS a year ago. Should've just waited :/ Might buy it again though just to promote this awesomeness, PLEASE GET GRIM FANDANGO GOG, PLZZZZ.

#25 Edited by BoG (5180 posts) -

GOG has sent us a valentine, as SS2 is now available. Instant purchase for me!

#26 Edited by Krakn3Dfx (2484 posts) -

Nice, looks like they have the unofficial SS2 patch integrated or something, I was able to choose 1920x1080 16:9 immediately in the menu after installing.

Time to throw in some texture mods and get to playing.

#27 Edited by cloudymusic (1041 posts) -

I replayed this just a few months ago, but I'm totally buying this. One of my favorite games ever.

#28 Edited by damswedon (3173 posts) -

The bonuses look good. I'm especially interested in the Pitch Document.

#29 Posted by zoozilla (977 posts) -

Man, I've never played SS2, but I definitely am now.

Is there much of a connection between SS1 and 2? And is there a chance of the first one coming to GOG soon?

#30 Posted by BeachThunder (11633 posts) -

@zoozilla said:

Man, I've never played SS2, but I definitely am now.

Is there much of a connection between SS1 and 2? And is there a chance of the first one coming to GOG soon?

The second one takes place 42 years after the first, with a different protagonist; basically, no you don't need to play the first first.

We can only hope that it's coming soon though...

#31 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -

Awesome to see this finally on GOG. Would've liked to see System Shock 1 along side 2, but hopefully that's coming soon to GOG as well. System Shock 2 is really great, but I tend to like 1 just a bit more.

#32 Posted by Tikicobra (394 posts) -

I've never played this game before, but I'm a sucker for games with strong stories and unique settings. Is this worth getting, or do I need to be nostalgic for it to enjoy it these days?

#33 Posted by jakob187 (21640 posts) -

@wampa1 said:

@hanskisaragi: Just Blood Omen 2, had a thread open about it that vanished with the new site launch.

The first problem is that you are playing Blood Omen 2, notoriously known for being buggy as hell on release in the first place. LOL

As to the OP, I am so super stoked that they were able to pick up System Shock 2. I am ready to relive some great memories with that game.

#34 Posted by JeanLuc (3565 posts) -

Does the default version they give you come with some mods on it? Game looks surprisingly good and even runs in 1920x1200.

#35 Posted by mlarrabee (2868 posts) -
#36 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2408 posts) -

Just got it and playing it for the first time, holy FUCK is this game hard.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.