Is a Taco a Sandwich?

#1 Posted by Smallville123 (416 posts) -
#2 Posted by Smallville123 (416 posts) -

I cant believe after Ryan put this out there at the beginning of the BLLSL no one has created this topic.....My answer is no by the way :P

#3 Posted by gamb1t (965 posts) -

i can........im just gunna say "woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow"

#4 Posted by Smallville123 (416 posts) -
@gamb1t said:
" i can........im just gunna say "woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow" "
dude this isnt supposed to be a serious discussion.... 
#5 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1863 posts) -

Naw, it's closer to a wrap if anything.

#6 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

Mmmmmm... tacos...

#7 Posted by SBYM (1219 posts) -

No. But one thing that tacos are is delicious.

#8 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2720 posts) -

Hell no.

#9 Posted by Daveyo520 (6752 posts) -

Not even close.

#10 Posted by Rockanomics (1150 posts) -

You keep going down this line of reasoning then soon it's okay to marry your dog!

#11 Posted by Eristocrat (440 posts) -
@Daveyo520 said:
" Not even close. "
I was going to write this exactly.
#12 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1863 posts) -
@Rockanomics said:
" You keep going down this line of reasoning then soon it's okay to marry your dog! "
That's...um...huh.
#13 Posted by AndyPhifer (169 posts) -

There's a style of food called "pocket food." Stuff like tacos, gyros, burgers, hot dogs, ravioli, spring rolls - anything where a starch (bread, taco shell, pasta) is made into a pocket where another food is placed qualifies as a pocket food. A sandwich is a pocket food, and so is a taco, so I'd call a taco a sandwich.

#14 Posted by Gearhead (2251 posts) -

Corn and wheat are nearly the same thing, and there's meat in between two corn sides.

#15 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

A taco is a...taco. Not a sandwich.

#16 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -
 @AndyPhifer said:

" There's a style of food called "pocket food." Stuff like tacos, gyros, burgers, hot dogs, ravioli, spring rolls - anything where a starch (bread, taco shell, pasta) is made into a pocket where another food is placed qualifies as a pocket food. A sandwich is a pocket food, and so is a taco, so I'd call a taco a sandwich. "

A Domestic House Cat and a Lion are both feline, doesn't mean a Cat is a Lion.    
#17 Posted by jim_dandy (891 posts) -

Two layers of bread isn't really a pocket.

So, NO.

#18 Posted by stinky (1548 posts) -
@AndyPhifer said:
" There's a style of food called "pocket food." Stuff like tacos, gyros, burgers, hot dogs, ravioli, spring rolls - anything where a starch (bread, taco shell, pasta) is made into a pocket where another food is placed qualifies as a pocket food. A sandwich is a pocket food, and so is a taco, so I'd call a taco a sandwich. "
worst logic train ever. 
#19 Posted by onarum (2084 posts) -

No, though if you used 2 tortillas with the stuffing between it would be a sandwich.

#20 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1863 posts) -
@onarum said:
" No, though if you used 2 tortillas with the stuffing between it would be a sandwich. "
I assume this would be with each tortilla laid out flat and on opposing sides of the stuffing. If they were together like one of the Taco Bell deluxe tacos with a hard shell inside a soft shell, that's still a taco.
#21 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

You fucking communist.

#22 Posted by captain_max707 (490 posts) -

If a hamburger can't be a sandwich, which is two pieces of bread with meat, vegetables, and cheese in between, then a taco can never be a sandwich either. 

#23 Posted by Noodlearms (586 posts) -
@captain_max707 said:
" If a hamburger can't be a sandwich, which is two pieces of bread with meat, vegetables, and cheese in between, then a taco can never be a sandwich either.  "  
you're a sandwich, therefore you know. end of topic.
#24 Posted by Hailinel (24778 posts) -

No.  In no way is a taco a sandwich.

#25 Posted by captain_max707 (490 posts) -
@Noodlearms: Um..
#26 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

No, Tacco's are there own genre of food
#27 Posted by Aetheldod (3579 posts) -

As being the qualified Mexican in here I say , no they are not sandwiches  .... sandwiches pfft  what kind of nonsense is that  >:(

#28 Posted by SoylentGreen (255 posts) -

A more important question; can an open-faced sandwich spread with taco fillings be folded in half and called a taco?

#29 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1863 posts) -
@SoylentGreen said:
A more important question; can an open-faced sandwich spread with taco fillings be folded in half and called a taco?
Naw, that's just a half sandwich. It's no more a taco, than an open faced sandwich filled with tomato sauce, cheese and pepperoni be considered a pizza.
#30 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

More like some kind of wrap

#31 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -

Nah...it's a taco.  Go to Taco Bell and order a sandwich and see if they hand you a taco...that should be absolute proof.

#32 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1769 posts) -

Yo, a torta is a Mexican sandwich. A taco is not.

#33 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

A taco is a taco, is beef in a shell

#34 Edited by bybeach (4826 posts) -

No, I would not call it a sandwich. the shell is one piece, and the components are stacked vertically, not horizontal to the open side. Nor am i sure about the pocket connotation, though my understanding of the term is extremely casual..hot pockets. sealed on all sides. IDK, I need to know if that is a formal term. raviolis perhaps.

Also I respect the cultural intent, which would perhaps make it sandwich like, something that is meant to be held, though tacos can be open face. I would say it is similar to a sandwich, but different in approach.

#35 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1863 posts) -

@phish09 said:

Nah...it's a taco. Go to Taco Bell and order a sandwich and see if they hand you a taco...that should be absolute proof.

That said, I'm not sure if Taco Bell can be considered an authentic purveyor of tacos (yes, I'm just being critical of their food)...

#36 Posted by Smallville123 (416 posts) -

@UnsolvedParadox said:

@phish09 said:

Nah...it's a taco. Go to Taco Bell and order a sandwich and see if they hand you a taco...that should be absolute proof.

That said, I'm not sure if Taco Bell can be considered an authentic purveyor of tacos (yes, I'm just being critical of their food)...

Ya taco bell isnt that great

#37 Edited by SexualBubblegumX (542 posts) -

Not a sammich, but very tasty.

#38 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

NICE NICE TACO

#39 Posted by punpun (232 posts) -

your mom has a nice taco

#40 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

Ryan's gotta step up on this in this friday's BLLSL.

Taco ain't no freaking sandwich for the same reason that folding a sandwich doesn't make it a freaking taco. BTW I live a block away from the best fish tacos in the world no joke. True ensaynada, ese

#41 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

Sandwich is made out of two slices of bread and something delicious in the middle, taco is made out of one hard tortilla.

#42 Posted by Sergio (2123 posts) -

Tacos are not a sandwich. Tortas are a sandwich.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.