What turn-based tactics do you want to see made?

#1 Posted by BeachThunder (11857 posts) -

Turn-based tactics games seem to be in vogue at the moment (Fire Emblem: Awakening, Skulls of the Shogun, Omerta, etc...); so, what themes/franchises do you want to see made in this genre?

Let's get the obvious suggestion out of the way first - Giant Bomb Tactics; you control the Giant Bomb staff members and you must fight people from rival video game websites. Also, the only weapons that are available are large explosives.

#2 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Tetris: Tactics

#3 Edited by TopSteer (646 posts) -

I'd love to see another Final Fantasy Tactics.

My dream game would be a SRPG in the vein of Fire Emblem set in the Sengoku or Three Kingdoms period. Edit: And of course right after posting I remember Pokemon Conquest which sounds perfect but I'm finding it to be a little bit too simple.

#4 Posted by jaycrockett (442 posts) -

Ghost Recon : Shadow Wars was a good one on the 3ds, I wouldn't mind another like that.

Advance Wars.

And while I understand why people like the Balder's Gate style D&D games, I will always have a fondness for the older Gold Box games. They had turn based tactical play similar to Fire Emblem.

#5 Posted by casper_ (903 posts) -

mas valkyria chronicles por favor

new disgaea coming out march 20th i think (Disgaea DImensions 2)

but really i'd like to see more western developers try to see what they can do with this genre

#6 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

An isometric post apocalyptic RPG with turn based combat.

#7 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

Really any JRPG with a non anime storyline; Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Vandal Hearts 2, and Front Mission 3 all have some of my favorite plots in any game; the context of warring nations just makes everything better.

@TopSteer: Kessen 3 isn't turn based but it's about as good as you could hope for in that regard. ROTK IX is the only one that really changes up that formula a bunch.

#8 Posted by Greenshoes (279 posts) -

@Gargantuan said:

An isometric post apocalyptic RPG with turn based combat.

Sounds like a good idea, maybe it should have, like, underground bunkers and stuff in it too.

#9 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1178 posts) -

A new Final Fantasy Tactics does sound tempting, also a new Advance Wars.

As for what Id like to see as a turn based tactics game...maybe a Resident Evil game, I could see that working.

#10 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

red dwarf tactics.

#11 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

Jagged Alliance 3. I loved the mercenary stuff with the mercenary agencies, shopping for gear that gets air dropped in for you etc. It really deserves a big budget game. I can even see some really fun co-op opportunities in that game as well even as a turn based game.

#12 Posted by AlexW00d (6240 posts) -

Fuck turn based, real time or bust.

#13 Posted by Morningstar (2150 posts) -

I'd love to see some proper tactics games on the home consoles. We got xcom and skulls of the shogun recently, and I want more.

#14 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

@AlexW00d: So you can blame lag for your terrible decisions?

#15 Edited by AlexW00d (6240 posts) -

@Funkydupe said:

@AlexW00d: So you can blame lag for your terrible decisions?

No because real time means you actually have to think and be tactical. Also I don't play RTS multiplayer cause I am bad.

E: I realise I should add a game else it seems like I am being inflammatory or something. I want that game DigitalMindSoft are trying to do but probably won't get done cause it's a kickstarter on their own website and they take the money upfront. :(

#16 Posted by TopSteer (646 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave: Yeah Kessen is great, I've pretty much played every game that came out over here set in those time periods. I tried ROTK but it just seemed impenetrable to me.

#17 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

Halo 5 should be a turn-based strategy game, but all pre-release footage and demos should be for a fake FPS sequel.

#18 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

@TopSteer: Try IX, there's not as much menu silliness. I wouldn't call it simplified as I find it to be the most difficult of the series, but it certainly feels much more fluid. And it goes without saying you should bumrush your way through the early scenarios until you unlock the Time of Lords 194 AD (when a lot of the awesome stuff happens in the book); Lu Bu, Yuan Shu, Liu Bei in Xia Pi, Sun Ce, Cao Cao not quite a ridiculous powerhouse yet, Gongsun Zan with Zhao Yun (and potentially Zhang He) still, Yuan Shao, Liu Biao with Huang Zhong, and Liu Zhang with Zhang Ren, Li Jue kidnapping the emperor and Ma Teng; almost all of these are viable ways to conquer China.

#19 Posted by StarvingGamer (8156 posts) -

True sequel to the original FFT.

#20 Posted by Levius (1113 posts) -

@TopSteer said:

I'd love to see another Final Fantasy Tactics.

My dream game would be a SRPG in the vein of Fire Emblem set in the Sengoku or Three Kingdoms period. Edit: And of course right after posting I remember Pokemon Conquest which sounds perfect but I'm finding it to be a little bit too simple.

Did you ever play Dynasty Tactics series, I thought they were pretty cool at the time.

#21 Edited by BatmanBatman (349 posts) -

They should do a free style turn-based dancing game.

PS - I'm not kidding

#22 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

@BATMANBATMAN85: Dance off?

#23 Posted by BatmanBatman (349 posts) -

@Funkydupe: Something like that...

#24 Posted by TopSteer (646 posts) -

@AmatureIdiot: Yeah but not since around the time of release so I really want to go back and play some more.

@Fredchuckdave: So you would recommend IX over the newer ones? I think the ones I tried were some random one on the SNES and the first on PS2 which would be VII.

#25 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

@TopSteer: Like most Koei games ROTK is highly iterative with IX being the lone exception (though Kessen doesn't fit that mold either); if you didn't like VII then you probably wouldn't like any of the other ones aside from IX, IX could potentially interest you a great deal however.

#26 Edited by HH (609 posts) -

warhammer / warhammer 40k, a straight translation of the tabletop rules would do just fine.

#27 Posted by golguin (3892 posts) -

A new FFT like the original. Great combat and fantastic story.

#28 Posted by Aetheldod (3556 posts) -

A proper tactical Front Mission game

#29 Posted by FaPaThY (134 posts) -

I want a fully 3D, Gundam TBT/4X game with open space, interplanetary and ground combat fought across the entire galaxy.

Not just mechs, but tanks, aircraft, battleships, carriers, transports, etc. too. A full-on war between EF and Zeon.

#30 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Fire Emblem's in vogue? Poseurs. I was playing Fire Emblem before it was cool!

#31 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3804 posts) -
  • A true sequel to Tactics Ogre or Final Fantasy Tactics. And for CONSOLES! Enough with the genre only being on handhelds, that sucks.
  • A new Jagged Alliance-esque or other realistic military style tactics game that was handled much like the new XCOM game. I really liked XCOM but the aliens vibe isn't as attractive to me as some other directions you could go. Something like Jagged Alliance or Silent Storm or something really cool would be a GI Joe flavor. I'd also say a cyberpunk setting would be cool but there is a new TBS Shadowrun game coming.
  • A new tactics game where you controlled a team of super heroes (much like Freedom Force but turn based preferably).
#32 Posted by NoMoreMutants (57 posts) -

I've always wondered what an X-Men game with Final Fantasy, and possibly character creation, mechanics would be like. A SRPG could be fun also!

#33 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

A game about experiments in the army. You can start with a lame-ass army, but secretly do genetic experiments, create nuclear weapons, create new weapons, new equipment, make deals with different organizations and countries, use your spies(and of course, PLAY with your spies) or just go "FUCK THAT SHIT!" and send an army to murder a bunch of motherfuckers. It would start before WWI and end after 2100. Your actions could even change the countries involved in Cold War, influence the U.N. and things like that. But i think about that more as something like Tropico 4, and less like tactical RPG's so the whole "turn-based combat" thing is something that got overlooked.

But i would like to see a turn-based combat system where, after everyone chose their actions, they would play out in real time. Position would be something incredibly important for ranged attacks because changing your position could make an archer from the opponent miss. So you could have spells that makes an opponent freeze, you could use a bait for them to be in a position you want, upgrade the speed of your acher so they can shoot before the opponent moves, upgrade your armor so getting hit first wouldn't make much of a difference because you could hit harder, change the environment(With flames, poison clouds and summons) so you could somewhat control the options your opponent has.

The classes could be:

Warrior - Focusing on pure power and/or defense.

Wizard - Focusing on spells that could deal direct damage or just mess with your opponent's tactical options.

Archer - Long-range guy. Versatile, their style depends more of their weapons, but their defense sucks.

Monk - Melee fighter that focus on speed and in buffs/debuffs.

I don't even know if somebody will read this, but i like talking about it.

#34 Posted by BeachThunder (11857 posts) -

@BATMANBATMAN85 said:

PS - I'm not kidding

I'm not kidding either, that would be awesome :D

#35 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3229 posts) -

Oh I thought you mean what kind of new tactical gameplay features would we like to see in those games.

So I'll just answer that instead.

I'd like a slow-time combat game. Not turn based, not real time. Just a bunch dudes moving in slow mo.

Now to answer your actual question: how's about a Marvel vs. DC Tactics?

#36 Posted by BatmanBatman (349 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

@BATMANBATMAN85 said:

PS - I'm not kidding

I'm not kidding either, that would be awesome :D

\O/

#37 Posted by Dontaze_Mebro (1 posts) -

I've found the perfect tactical squad based shooter. This one has real physics, perma-death, and oh I guess I should mention a huge sandbox instanced MMO world. If you like hardcore turn based combat with real risk vs reward check out Darkwind.

#38 Posted by project343 (2818 posts) -

I'm a sucker for the 4X games. A bigger-budget version of Fallen Enchantress would be amazing.

#39 Posted by Doskias (305 posts) -

Let's get the obvious suggestion out of the way first - Giant Bomb Tactics; you control the Giant Bomb staff members and you must fight people from rival video game websites. Also, the only weapons that are available are large explosives.

Nuke.com optional secret boss?

#40 Edited by Benny (1952 posts) -

There's a very early massive chalice screenshot been released today and it looks and sounds to me like the game is going to be Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics mixed together and ohmygod I cannot wait for this game.

#42 Posted by hans_maulwurf (120 posts) -

Well, seeing how nokia is now part of ms and also seeing how redlynx works semi exclusive with ms I really want a new Pathway to Glory - still the reason why I'm having a hard time feeling completely bad about having owned an n-gage. That game was great.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.