Activision to take Take-Two?

#1 Posted by GlenTennis (3144 posts) -

According to this article, "A wild, but not impossible rumor suggests that publishing giant and "Call of Duty" publisher Activision may have its eyes set on a hostile takeover of "Grand Theft Auto" publisher Take-Two Interactive." Activision just keeps growing and growing, and is becoming a gaming behemoth that seems to fuck with everything it can.

#2 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10821 posts) -

Activision is going own all of videogames before we know it.

#3 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2720 posts) -

God I hope this doesn't happen.

#4 Posted by JJOR64 (18939 posts) -

Didn't Activision or EA try to take over before?

#5 Posted by RYNO9881 (625 posts) -

Ha! 
Imagine a GTA game every year with micro-transactions. 

#6 Posted by Blueman (753 posts) -

I really hope this isn't true.

#7 Posted by Egg0 (169 posts) -

Didn't they just lay off a bunch of people? Are they really in a position to take anyone over?
#8 Posted by GlenTennis (3144 posts) -
@Egg0 said:
" Didn't they just lay off a bunch of people? Are they really in a position to take anyone over? "
Their Call of Duty and World of Warcraft money say hi.
#9 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3500 posts) -

Déjà vu.

#10 Posted by DrFidget (215 posts) -

Oh god, is it 2008 again?    

#11 Posted by Turambar (6710 posts) -
@DrFidget said:
" Oh god, is it 2008 again?     "
#12 Posted by MikkaQ (10277 posts) -
@DrFidget said:
" Oh god, is it 2008 again?     "
No kidding, this kinda tripped me up hard, till I took a breath and realized I was safely situated in 2011. 
#13 Posted by AuthenticM (3706 posts) -

I don't want this to happen, but I'd rather have EA buy T2 than Activision anyday.

#14 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -

I think all the Activision hate is kinda funny.  Not that it isn't deserved to an extent, but a few years ago, all the things that people say about Activision now, they were saying about EA.  EA was the big bad corporate monster that people swore they wouldn't buy games from anymore.  Now it's Activision.  I wonder if in a few years, it will be a new company. 

On topic though, the question is will Take-Two let them?  If this is going to be a hostile takeover, are they going the EA route and approaching individual shareholders?  Be interesting to see how this plays out.

#15 Posted by GlenTennis (3144 posts) -
@melcene said:
" I think all the Activision hate is kinda funny.  Not that it isn't deserved to an extent, but a few years ago, all the things that people say about Activision now, they were saying about EA.  EA was the big bad corporate monster that people swore they wouldn't buy games from anymore.  Now it's Activision.  I wonder if in a few years, it will be a new company.  On topic though, the question is will Take-Two let them?  If this is going to be a hostile takeover, are they going the EA route and approaching individual shareholders?  Be interesting to see how this plays out. "
The article mentions that it would in fact be a hostile takeover.
#16 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -
@GlenTennis: I know.  As I said, if this is going to be a hostile takeover, are they going to do it the route of EA?  EA tried a hostile too and it still didn't work.
#17 Posted by sharma55 (458 posts) -

I don't think this is gonna go down.

#18 Posted by blueduck (964 posts) -
@melcene said:
" I think all the Activision hate is kinda funny.  Not that it isn't deserved to an extent, but a few years ago, all the things that people say about Activision now, they were saying about EA.  EA was the big bad corporate monster that people swore they wouldn't buy games from anymore.  Now it's Activision.  I wonder if in a few years, it will be a new company.  On topic though, the question is will Take-Two let them?  If this is going to be a hostile takeover, are they going the EA route and approaching individual shareholders?  Be interesting to see how this plays out. "
People still say the same things about EA, its just they now also say them about Activision.
#19 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4358 posts) -
@RYNO9881 said:
" Ha! Imagine a GTA game every year with micro-transactions.  "
There isn't a gun big enough to shoot myself with if that happens.
#20 Posted by Gabriel (4058 posts) -

Why create when you can buy.

#21 Posted by RE_Player1 (7557 posts) -
@Gabriel said:
" Why create when you can buy. "
I laughed. 
#22 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Oh snap...

#23 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

This is fucking horseshit. I can't see how this won't be anti-consumer behaviour in the form of a monopoly. Fuck Activision, they ruin everything.

#24 Posted by BaneFireLord (2918 posts) -

This makes me very, very, very, very angry.

#25 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

It would be a great purchase that stock holders would welcome. The bottom line. Cost effective.

#26 Edited by jakob187 (21662 posts) -
@RYNO9881 said:

" Ha! Imagine a GTA game every year with micro-transactions.  "

...and a monthly subscription fee along with shitty map packs. 

Nonetheless, there is one bright side:  it'd mean that the next Duke Nukem game wouldn't take 14 years to come out!  HEY OH! 

Now, to be serious: 

With the recent restructuring, layoffs, and other killing of franchises they announced last week, this definitely sounds like a plausible idea.  They could be trying to gangpile enough money together to make the bid.  The question is whether or not EA would try to counter-bid it...or if Take Two would even look at a counter bid.  Moreover, if they did merge and/or acquire Take Two, then that would mean they'd be in a competing sports position as well.  Given that Activision can seem to annualize anything (despite whether the end product is worth a shit or not), it looks like a deal they'd love. 

However, what about guys like Rockstar, Gearbox, and Irrational?  They aren't exactly companies that seem to care for releasing a new game every damn year in their franchises.  It just seems odd that Activision would want to purchase a company that houses a very artistic bunch of development studios that enjoy the time they are given to work on a game.  At the same time, Rockstar and Gearbox also happen to be two of the reigning kings of DLC add-ons for their products, so this might give Activision a much stronger foothold in the online distribution market.  I mean, seriously, what the hell has Activision honestly done in the Arcade or PSN area that was genuinely worthwhile with their games besides Call of Duty?   

It's definitely interesting, but I would almost expect that Take Two would look at offers from other places as well, especially from EA.  It would make EA and Activision incredibly competitive companies, which could either lead to games being made with a higher level of quality to them...or the companies will just shovel whatever they can out at an annual rate.  I've like to think that EA would go for the former rather than the latter. 

I'll definitely have to keep my eye out on this info.
#27 Edited by awesomeusername (4168 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:

" @Gabriel said:

" Why create when you can buy. "
I laughed.  "
And his avatar clearly goes with what he said! 

@RsistncE said:

" This is fucking horseshit. I can't see how this won't be anti-consumer behaviour in the form of a monopoly. Fuck Activision, they ruin everything. "

Yet, your avatar is an Activision owned franchise... 

@jakob187 said:

Nonetheless, there is one bright side:  it'd mean that the next Duke Nukem game wouldn't take 14 years to come out!  HEY OH! "

Made me lol.
#28 Posted by JasonR86 (9650 posts) -

This would be terrible.  Imagine a yearly version of Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead.  Those franchises would never be able to reach their full potential again.

#29 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
@BulletproofMonk said:
" God I hope this doesn't happen. "
Exactly what I was going to type.
#30 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4664 posts) -

If Activision does this, it will be the end for the arthouse crowd that Take Two has in their stable. That would mean the end of Irrational, Rockstar, and Gearbox, and with the incredible output from just those three studios over the last few years, this would be a very dark time for gamers.   

I am shuddering.

#31 Posted by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -

i did a take two at this thread title, get it because it . . . sorry i will leave now.

#32 Edited by zameer (605 posts) -

I'd normally dismiss this as just yet another one of those attention-grabbing rumours spun out for traffic, but crazier things have happened. I remember everyone flat-out dismissing the Blizzard acquisition and well.. we know how that went. It's also particularly interesting, given the recent news that Activision's undergoing heavy restructuring, axing studios like Bizarre Creations, and shelving franchises like Guitar Hero.    

I don't really know what to make of this, except the obvious conclusion that the prospect of a single publisher having the rights to Call of Duty, Starcraft, Diablo, Warcraft, Grand Theft Auto, Guitar Hero, Bioshock, 2K's sports games is scary. I'm groaning because of the possibility that they may be acquiring these very lucrative franchises to fit into their crazy "LET'S ANNUALIZE EVERYTHING" plans, but Blizzard still retains a large amount of autonomy regarding release dates. 

I dunno, can anyone more tuned into the gaming industry comment on MCV's reputability (all I know is that they're a huge industry trade magazine that's tight with Famitsu) since they're credited for the rumour?   
#33 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2216 posts) -

I hope for the sake of the gaming industry this rumor isn't true, monopolization is never a good thing and that's exactly what would be happening. Given Activision's tendency to milk successful franchises and not give new IP's a go, I want T2 to stay independent.

#34 Posted by ShaunassNZ (2128 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" Didn't Activision or EA try to take over before? "
Yes EA tried back in the Arrow Pointing down days.
#35 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@GlenTennis said:
" @Egg0 said:
" Didn't they just lay off a bunch of people? Are they really in a position to take anyone over? "
Their Call of Duty and World of Warcraft money say hi. "
Yeah, I believe they just made back all the money they lost the day after they announced the closure of studios.
#36 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

if activision does take over everyone should just leave.
#37 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

Ooooohhhhhh now I see why they stopped Guitar Hero and DJ Hero for the time being. They want to get different studios on these projects. And what better way than to acquire a big company like Take Two. They're full of studios. 

So Activision will have Rockstar work on Tony Hawk, Irrational will work on DJ Hero and Gearbox will work on Guitar Hero. It makes so much sense now.

#38 Posted by DystopiaX (5297 posts) -
@GlenTennis
@Egg0 said:
Their Call of Duty and World of Warcraft money say hi.
Also, thy take people over, force them to make a half assed game, and thenfire everyone when, surprise, it doesnt sell well. Hoping take two stockholders are smart enough not to take this deal.
#39 Posted by Moo (32 posts) -

If it's going to be hostile takeover, can't the people quit and join another dev or create one of their own? I mean, if they really want to? They can't legally bind people to work for activisions bullies, right?

#40 Posted by Delicious_Brains (170 posts) -

Nothing good comes from an association with Activision. Plus I think their games are shit.

#41 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

I honestly don't think they are going to stop until they ARE videogaming 
 everything is bought, made, sold, and operated by activision. 

And then, they move onto the consoles....

#42 Edited by Jimbo (9796 posts) -

I saw... its thoughts. I saw what they're planning to do. They're like locusts. They're moving from planet to planet... their whole civilization. After they've consumed every natural resource they move on... and we're next.  

#43 Posted by ClaritySam (594 posts) -
@BulletproofMonk said:
" God I hope this doesn't happen. "
this, oh jesus this!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.