Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.

Company »

Take-Two Interactive is a videogame publisher and developer that was set up in 1993. They are most well known for being the publishers of the GTA franchise.

Is Take-Two the least scummy large publisher?

• 58 results
    BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Poll Is Take-Two the least scummy large publisher? (228 votes)

Yes 54%
    No 11%
    Show me results 35%

I'm arbitrarily defining "large publisher" as someone who produces million-seller games, and doesn't only internally develop them (so I'm discounting Valve and Blizzard; c'mon, they each publish like 1-2 games per year). I'm also discounting Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony, because I'm trying to talk about publishers who aren't trying to push their own hardware, because they're in a somewhat different category.

It occurs to me that Take-Two seems to be doing right by gamers, between having the fairly consistent 2K sports lineup, putting out some real winners lately such as Bioshock, XCOM, Borderlands, and anything done by Rockstar, and hasn't really seemed to have any major fuckups where everyone gets angry at them like Activision and EA seem to get into every now and then.

Thoughts?

• 
    Xakura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Yeah, I'd say they are fairly all right. Except for my Red Dead Redemption PC port.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@adam1808 said:

@abendlaender said:

Hmmm...they are up there. Bethesda is also pretty good I think.

Everything I hear about Bethesda (Zenimax) suggests to me that they're pretty cutthroat, look at how they threw Human Head under the bus with Prey 2.

Do we really know what happened there?

The statement that Prey 2 wasn't meeting their quality standards was a pretty clear indication of what they thought of Human Head's performance no?

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

yeah sure.

until they do something to piss the internet mentals off then im sure they will be has hated as EA, Activison and MS.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By abendlaender

@adam1808 said:

@abendlaender said:

@adam1808 said:

@abendlaender said:

Hmmm...they are up there. Bethesda is also pretty good I think.

Everything I hear about Bethesda (Zenimax) suggests to me that they're pretty cutthroat, look at how they threw Human Head under the bus with Prey 2.

Do we really know what happened there?

The statement that Prey 2 wasn't meeting their quality standards was a pretty clear indication of what they thought of Human Head's performance no?

Canceling a bad game (according to them) doesn't sound scummy to me.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Fredchuckdave

A company can be scummy and publish/make smaller games, and a company can be large and publish/make almost exclusively good games; size seems largely irrelevant though there's a lot of well deserved hatred for Activision and new Blizzard and a lot of mostly undeserved hate for EA. Take Two is just one of several large publishers that fall under the radar of the two megagiants.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't comment on the scumminess of their business practices, but I do think they are the publisher that most closely aligns with strong creative visions. Every one of the studios they publish games for have a strong personality designing the games, Housers (Rockstar), Meier (Fixaris), Levine (Irrational) and Pitchford (Gearbox). They almost follow an auteur theory of game making and get these creators out there to schill their games, studio, and the publisher. Its a consistent model although they definitely don't produce as many games as EA/Activision they are more consistent (barring A:CM). I definitely give them a lot of props for letting some of these games stew for so long. I'm not sure how many publishers would have the patience for the types of delays GTA5 and Bioshock Infinite underwent.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By zeushbien

@djou said:

I can't comment on the scumminess of their business practices, but I do think they are the publisher that most closely aligns with strong creative visions. Every one of the studios they publish games for have a strong personality designing the games, Housers (Rockstar), Meier (Fixaris), Levine (Irrational) and Pitchford (Gearbox). They almost follow an auteur theory of game making and get these creators out there to schill their games, studio, and the publisher. Its a consistent model although they definitely don't produce as many games as EA/Activision they are more consistent (barring A:CM). I definitely give them a lot of props for letting some of these games stew for so long. I'm not sure how many publishers would have the patience for the types of delays GTA5 and Bioshock Infinite underwent.

Colonial Marines was a sega published game.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twinsun: Duh, my bad. Even more reason why Take Two is doing something right.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.