Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.

Company »

Take-Two Interactive is a videogame publisher and developer that was set up in 1993. They are most well known for being the publishers of the GTA franchise.

Viable mature Wii content coming courtesy of Take-Two?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By Dalai
    Manhunt 2, anyone?  No?  Yeah I didn't buy it, either.

It seems Take-Two is rethinking their content on Nintendo consoles, and Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars is the test subject.  Oh, Carnival Games is an unlikely smash, but it could be a one-trick pony... that and the lack of violent minigames and hardcore clown sex.  Nintendo's consoles have recently had a family-friendly image with minor exceptions, but the install base is just too big to ignore now.  Sure, the Brain Age/Cooking Mama demographic might have a tough time taking the bait, but some mature games have had moderate success on the DS and Wii and now might be the time they come out of the woodwork and start some shit in the Wii's gaming library.  And the GTA name might actually be a system seller in America... although I don't know how many more DS handhelds they can sell this late in the cycle.  Yet, the "analysts" look like they'll be all over the map with this one.  It ranges from 5 million to a Pachter-esque "shocked if it sells more than 500,000."  Thanks, analysts!  Bastards.

Drug dealing minigames make Cammie Dunaway smile.
    But the ultimate question is whether a mature Wii game can truly break out in the midst of the Wii Sports clones and Nintendo's typically bloodless lineup?  No More Heroes was a mild hit, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition hit the million mark, and Umbrella Chronicles did nearly as well, but Manhunt 2 was a dud... same with a multitude of mature multiplatform games that sold much better on the 360, PS3, or PC.  MadWorld, as much as I and others love it, looks quite niche and will likely achieve cult status.  The Conduit could be the game, but there are still questions on whether the hardcore will give it a chance.  2009 will be the year that will decide if the Wii is destined to be a "kiddy" console for life or a well-rounded package with some old-fashioned violence.  The Wii has no chance of being the first choice for mature games (360 has it covered), but if 2009 is a bonafide bloodbath on the Wii, GTA and other M-rated games will eventually find a way to the Wii.  If not, we'll get more Carnival Games and perhaps a new ping-pong game.

Yesterday's news, I suppose... but it's something to ponder.

And now for a shameless plug.  Wiicret SantaWiicret SantaWiicret Santa!
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Dalai
    Manhunt 2, anyone?  No?  Yeah I didn't buy it, either.

It seems Take-Two is rethinking their content on Nintendo consoles, and Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars is the test subject.  Oh, Carnival Games is an unlikely smash, but it could be a one-trick pony... that and the lack of violent minigames and hardcore clown sex.  Nintendo's consoles have recently had a family-friendly image with minor exceptions, but the install base is just too big to ignore now.  Sure, the Brain Age/Cooking Mama demographic might have a tough time taking the bait, but some mature games have had moderate success on the DS and Wii and now might be the time they come out of the woodwork and start some shit in the Wii's gaming library.  And the GTA name might actually be a system seller in America... although I don't know how many more DS handhelds they can sell this late in the cycle.  Yet, the "analysts" look like they'll be all over the map with this one.  It ranges from 5 million to a Pachter-esque "shocked if it sells more than 500,000."  Thanks, analysts!  Bastards.

But the ultimate question is whether a mature Wii game can truly break out in the midst of the Wii Sports clones and Nintendo's typically bloodless lineup?  No More Heroes was a mild hit, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition hit the million mark, and Umbrella Chronicles did nearly as well, but Manhunt 2 was a dud... same with a multitude of mature multiplatform games that sold much better on the 360, PS3, or PC.  MadWorld, as much as I and others love it, looks quite niche and will likely achieve cult status.  The Conduit could be the game, but there are still questions on whether the hardcore will give it a chance.  2009 will be the year that will decide if the Wii is destined to be a "kiddy" console for life or a well-rounded package with some old-fashioned violence.  The Wii has no chance of being the first choice for mature games (360 has it covered), but if 2009 is a bonafide bloodbath on the Wii, GTA and other M-rated games will eventually find a way to the Wii.  If not, we'll get more Carnival Games and perhaps a new ping-pong game.

Yesterday's news, I suppose... but it's something to ponder.

And now for a shameless plug.  Wiicret SantaWiicret SantaWiicret Santa!
    Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Coltonio7

Well i don't think that violent games on the Wii will sell any substantial numbers.

Mostly because most Wii owners are under 17.

(( Hardcore Clown Sex? I should give that game a shot. ))

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By BiggerBomb

I agree that MadWorld will most probably achieve some sort of "cult classic" status. But you heard it here first: The Conduit will not succeed.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pause422
    BiggerBomb said:
    "I agree that MadWorld will most probably achieve some sort of "cult classic" status. But you heard it here first: The Conduit will not succeed."
    I don't think anyone that is honest with theirself would deny that, The Conduit definitely won't go far, but I hope Madworld does alright. Also wish it was on other consoles, there's no real reason for it to be only on the Wii due to the type of game it is.

The Conduit though, is just a completely generic human vs alien #495685968 game, and wow, I've watched a few videos of it......the voice acting is so bad you would compliment the scientists from Half Life 1 for doing an oscar worthy job. Really, if they are trying to make it seem like a "AAA game", the voice acting would have to at least be decent.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    pause422 said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "I agree that MadWorld will most probably achieve some sort of "cult classic" status. But you heard it here first: The Conduit will not succeed."
    I don't think anyone that is honest with theirself would deny that, The Conduit definitely won't go far, but I hope Madworld does alright. Also wish it was on other consoles, there's no real reason for it to be only on the Wii due to the type of game it is.

The Conduit though, is just a completely generic human vs alien #495685968 game, and wow, I've watched a few videos of it......the voice acting is so bad you would compliment the scientists from Half Life 1 for doing an oscar worthy job. Really, if they are trying to make it seem like a "AAA game", the voice acting would have to at least be decent."
    The developers wanted it to be on the Wii because they wanted a more visceral control scheme, which has yet to be proven. The funny thing is that despite the constant bashing it gets on this msite and others, The Conduit is more likely to be awesome than MadWorld, simply because many media outlets have been able to play it.
    I also have trouble understanding people's problem with The Conduit. You guys do know that a good first person shooter has yet to be released for the system, right? Okay. The Conduit is there to test the market on Wii. More than anything, it's a symbol. If it fails, "hardcore" games on Wii will be gone. Sorry, it's true. If it succeeds, the Wii might go on to become the next SNES.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pause422

Well just because of the games that were on the SNES, that won't exactly be true. The Wii will never be the SNES, but I understand what you're talking about. Also I have nothing against The Conduit at all, I just don't think it looks good at all as a game in general, and the group of nintendo fanboys that hype it up like its going to blow every other shooter ever made out of the water I find pretty ridiculous, especially since if it even works it will as you said, only be the first good shooter that the system has had. In general though I think Madworld looks to be far far better of a game by miles.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BiggerBomb

It looks very generic. All too generic. The graphics are hyped past the deserved margin (they're not that great) and the controls look sloppy. It's not going to do so hot.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pause422

That's another problem that I see in the way they're hyping that game right now(referring to The Conduit), the devs 9/10 times just mention how they've added "depth of field" when you scope in, which isn't even full DoF to begin with because of the Wii's power, same with the way it appears in general, the visuals are not impressive at all, and Black on the original Xbox still looks far better visually than this game does. Seriously, they should focus their build up elsewhere for good, hyping ANY game on the Wii saying the visuals are good is totally not gonna work.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Arkthemaniac

According to people that have played the game, the controls are not at all sloppy. I guess they're spot on. 

The thing is, though, that if you don't like the way the controls looked, you can change whatever you want about them.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BiggerBomb

Well, I haven't played the game so I might be wrong. I'll just have to wait and see. That said, I'm still not very interested in The Conduit. MadWorld, on the otherhand.....

:)

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Well, I haven't played the game so I might be wrong. I'll just have to wait and see. That said, I'm still not very interested in The Conduit. MadWorld, on the otherhand.....

:)"
    They better not have waggle, I swear to God . . .
    They include Motion+, it will bolster the sales of Motion+ like crazy.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pause422

I know they said you have to "Waggle" the remote to throw a grenade...

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    pause422 said:
    "I know they said you have to "Waggle" the remote to throw a grenade..."
    In what? MadWorld? There's grenades in Madworld? Or The Conduit? Well, waggle for grenades technically isn't too bad (it was one of the better implementations of Wii control in Red Steel), but I was referring to MadWorld with that comment, because it's a melee game.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ZenaxPure

Bleh just go play Medal of Honors Heroes 2 for awesome Wii FPS controls, its already done like half of what the Conduit is offering in controls.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pause422
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "pause422 said:
    "I know they said you have to "Waggle" the remote to throw a grenade..."
    In what? MadWorld? There's grenades in Madworld? Or The Conduit? Well, waggle for grenades technically isn't too bad (it was one of the better implementations of Wii control in Red Steel), but I was referring to MadWorld with that comment, because it's a melee game."
    Ah alright, I actually thought you meant Conduit lol, yeah hopefully Madworld doesn't go too crazy with the controls....like I said it appears to be mostly a beat em' up game that would be fine with just pushing face buttons or something.
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Kazona

I think the biggest problem for most mature games on the Wii is that they are indeed the kind of thing that will only appeal to a niche audience. The only reason Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition sold so well is because it's already popular. And I think it would've sold more had it not already been released on other platforms before it. But then again, in most cases it's probably simply not possible to make a game look good enough to garner attention without going for an ultra-stylized look and feel. I mean, no on is going to look at a game and go "man that game looks so beautiful!" And as much as it may suck or many people try to deny it, most of us are graphic whores--the prettier a game looks, the more we'll be paying attention to it and the more we will be drooling over it. Show something like No More Heroes or MadWorld, however, and you'll see many a comment in the trend of "god that looks so damn ugly," and many people will automatically dismiss it on that basis. And it won't appeal to the mass audience either because, well, it's not simple enough.

So the problem so far for M rated games on the Wii is that they don't appeal to enough graphic enthusiast, and they won't draw in a crowd of casual gamers either. What you're left with is the small group that either love a completely stylized and unusual look, care only about the gameplay, or a mixture of both. And sad as it may be, that group seems to be dwindling in size with each new generation of consoles. Drastically so even. Sad, but true.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Arkthemaniac

The Wii is becoming a very artsy kind of console due to its limitations. The biggest third party core games have been No More Heroes, Zack and Wiki, Okami (port, but nonetheless), de Blob, World Of Goo, LostWinds, and now things like MadWorld, Little King's Story, and even stuff like House of the Dead, which takes a hybrid of semirealism mixed with some sort of graphical nuance; in this case, it's a grindhouse theater feel.

It because of this, that a game like The Conduit is incredibly interesting to me, because it's one of the few games going for any kind of realism on the platform, which I can appreciate. Realism isn't bad, but it's saturated on the other consoles, and there's only one "realism", really. Artistically driven games become less taxing because they can all look completely different, yet still fall under the blanket of "artsy."

Someone who has been playing the 360 or PS3 a lot cannot appreciate The Conduit because they've been playing games on their consoles that look better than The Conduit with a similar style. For someone like me, who plays the Wii a lot and has become more inclined to the artistic drive of people like Suda, The Conduit is a refreshing change.

This might clear up some people's confusion over why people are hyping The Conduit. Oh, and because it's an FPS on Wii with 16 player online.
    damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18  Edited By damnboyadvance

As I may have related to many times ,it's all up to this year's E3. Nintendo is almost out of hits to remake to the Wii, so this year may be tight.  And if that crazy lady from last year speaks again, then the whole thing might be down the drain.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#19  Edited By LordAndrew

Ah, you almost tricked me into thinking this was a recent topic. Don't do that. :(

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By jakob187

I don't think the problem is that developers aren't willing to take chances.  The problem is that CONSUMERS aren't willing to take the chance that the Wii can deliver some good content.  Everyone is so prissy about "oh, it doesn't have Halo or Gears or God of War"...and yet they wonder why developers aren't putting mature content on the console!!!  Seriously, people...you vote with your dollars, and when you fail to give those dollars to the type of games you hype up so much...then it sends the companies a CLEAR message:

"We don't want mature games and hardcore gamer content on the Wii."

Look at the sales of the "core" games that have come out on the console.  Now look at Wii Play.  People basically voted for mini-games just because they wanted the extra controller.  Did I vote for it?  Well, yeah...but I also wanted those mini-games!!!  That doesn't mean I didn't put money out on Puzzle Quest, Geometry Wars Galaxies, Super Mario Galaxy, Resident Evil 4, etc.  I didn't go out buying shit for the console.

So in the end, the reason you all have to continually say that the Wii "sucks" is because of two parties:  the developers and YOURSELVES!!!  SO STOP BITCHING ABOUT IT!

Now, onto Dalai's topic - I think that Chinatown Wars will see a minor amount of success, but kids will essentially say "well, it's not San Andreas or GTA IV or Vice City...and I don't understand it".  Therefore, I don't expect Nintendo to wise up anytime soon...or consumers.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Linkyshinks

I think Chinatown Wars is going to do pretty darn well, I think given the DS touch controls it could add something very unique and fun for fans of the series to enjoy. It is a mature title that has the mass market appeal,  I think it could set a nice precident for future mature content on DS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.